Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
Results 541 to 560 of 783
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #541  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I've previously discussed my reasoning behind my choice of using a popup vs. a standard notification, but basically it all boils down to needing the screen real estate for the many options I provide the user in reaction to an alert (or multiple alerts). Having a smaller notification come up would require the user to tap it to display the larger popup. In my opinion, this is an unnecessary extra step.

    The other reason is that I intentionally wanted people's attention drawn to the alert more so than most notifications. It's more crucial that people act on a GeoString notification than most other ones (like emails or text messages) because it's based upon a location and the person is on the move. They need to decide right there and then whether to complete the task. The same is not true for an email or text message.
    I understand & respect your reasons, but I disagree with your "extra step" argument. I don't think that tapping the standard option (says "you have XX GeoString notifications") to get the details is an extra step; that's exactly how email notifications work. And pretty much every other program. I agree with knobbysideup; an option to only use standard notifications would be a Good Thing and I would use that option. Putting the minimized notification (whatever that's called) while I'm sleeping a string would also be good.

    Tapping a standard notification to bring up what we currently see would be, imo, the way to go, instead of bringing up the full program. If we didn't have that, the options you give us (I LOVE both the boomerang & the sleep) wouldn't be of much use.

    As for the importance of the alert, that's what we have a different tone for. Heck, most of the time my Pre is in my pocket; the only way I know to look for a notification is because of the tone. So the use of a non-standard notification really doesn't impact my noticing the importance of said notification.

    The only way notifications could be improved is if I can find a sound clip of the Geoquiz music that PRI's _The World_ uses.

    Having said all that...I won't be upset if you can't get to this, for whatever reason. It's still the best $3 I've ever spent. Thank you again for writing the program.
  2.    #542  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I understand & respect your reasons, but I disagree with your "extra step" argument. I don't think that tapping the standard option (says "you have XX GeoString notifications") to get the details is an extra step; that's exactly how email notifications work. And pretty much every other program. I agree with knobbysideup; an option to only use standard notifications would be a Good Thing and I would use that option. Putting the minimized notification (whatever that's called) while I'm sleeping a string would also be good.
    You're correct that is how other notifications (like email) work. But it is one more step than what you need to do for a GeoStrings notification.

    Like I said, one of the reasons I chose to display a popup instead of a smaller notification was that I wanted people to have access to the alert data immediately. Standard notifications are perfect for emails because you don't necessarily need to read an email immediately. Being notified of the new email is good enough. But for GeoString alerts, you need to be notified immediately about all alerts in your vicinity because you're in your car on the move. One extra tap to display the popup is one too many in my opinion when you're in a moving car possibly moving away from your target location(s).

    But I will be putting some thought into the use of notifications and will make use of them in some way in a future release.

    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    As for the importance of the alert, that's what we have a different tone for.
    That's a good point. And i agree that people will know immediately even before seeing the screen that a GeoString alert has fired off, but they won't know what the alerts are until they look at the screen. This is why I think it's very important that the alerts are displayed automatically without the user needing to tap anything else.

    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    The only way notifications could be improved is if I can find a sound clip of the Geoquiz music that PRI's _The World_ uses.
    This brings ups a good topic of discussion. I was wondering if people could post the audio files they're using for their GeoStrings alert. It would be a good way for people to find cool sounds they could use.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  3. #543  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    This brings ups a good topic of discussion. I was wondering if people could post the audio files they're using for their GeoStrings alert. It would be a good way for people to find cool sounds they could use.
    Do you really want an MP3 of my wife nagging me to not forget what she asked me to pick up for her (us) on the way home?
  4.    #544  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Do you really want an MP3 of my wife nagging me to not forget what she asked me to pick up for her (us) on the way home?
    Yes, that would be awesome! Let's hear it!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5. #545  
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Do you really want an MP3 of my wife nagging me to not forget what she asked me to pick up for her (us) on the way home?
    One of the best ringers I've ever heard was a co-worker who had a special ring for his wife. It was her: "Kyle....Kyle....KYLE, ANSWER THE PHONE" Got louder on each iteration; you could hear the last part way down the cube farm.

    Heck, if she's got a sexy voice, you could probably sell it.
  6. #546  
    I have a geostring set for a shopping centre with the radius set to 0.1 km. I am getting it triggered each time that I pass by on a road that passes a couple of kms abeam the shopping centre. Is the logic that, if I were travelling towards the shopping centre at my current 60 km/hr, I would shortly be withing 0.1kms?
  7.    #547  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I have a geostring set for a shopping centre with the radius set to 0.1 km. I am getting it triggered each time that I pass by on a road that passes a couple of kms abeam the shopping centre. Is the logic that, if I were travelling towards the shopping centre at my current 60 km/hr, I would shortly be withing 0.1kms?
    No it sounds like your GPS signal is producing erroneous results. Check out the FAQ on the app's Help screen for GPS position troubleshooting tips.

    Also make sure you only use radius targets less than 1.0 kms if the location is your final destination (i.e. you'll be stopping there). You can read up more on this by tapping the "?" icon on the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen and tapping on the target radius help balloon.
  8. #548  
    Any word on having applications start once I get to a location? Or any word on a update your working on?
  9.    #549  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Any word on having applications start once I get to a location? Or any word on a update your working on?
    I don't think this will get in the next release. I already have a few larger items in the next release.

    My current plan for the major features in the next release are:

    - Interactive mapping functions. That's all I'll say for now.

    - Ability to backup and restore your GeoStrings, locations, and location groups. This will most likely include an optional automatic backup feature with customizable backup interval time.

    There's another major item I may include; however I still have to work out the logistics of it so I'm not sure if I'll hold up this release for it.

    I've begun working on the mapping features and as I mentioned before there are technical hurdles to overcome in relation to the mapping APIs. I've now tried using the Google, Bing, and Yahoo mapping APIs and all of them have their own issues. So first I have to find one that will work 100% reliably for me and fulfill all of my needs.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10. #550  
    Sorry if this has already been asked but after 20 minutes of searching I can't find it.

    Would it be possible to have a "location-less" or global reminder that was triggered solely by time and not by location? I realize that the app is designed to be a location based reminder system - and it does an excellent job of that - but it would be great to have a reminder that triggered no matter where one happened to be at the time.

    At present, if I expect to be home, I'll use that location for a reminder. However, if I were to go somewhere else the reminder wouldn't trigger until I returned home. If I needed to do something at a specific time - such as make a phone call -that could be a problem.

    I guess I got spoiled by using "BugMe" on my Treo as my "ectopic brain" and my memory circuits have gotten rusty. Or is that just old age?

    Tony
    metus delenda est

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  11. kilroy's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #551  
    If I needed to do something at a specific time - such as make a phone call -that could be a problem.
    Unless I'm missing something, I think the Pre's calendar is what you want to use for time-based reminders.
  12. #552  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, I think the Pre's calendar is what you want to use for time-based reminders.

    Obviously, that would work but I have a number of problems with that approach. Calendar works best for appointments or events rather than simple reminders. It defaults to one hour blocks (I know - that can be changed). Also, if I have a number of reminders they would really clutter up the calendar.

    What I'm really looking for is a simple reminder. A to-do list which had a specific time, rather than just a day/date would work.

    The reason I mention a global or location-less reminder option for GeoStrings is that it could then be the only program needed for any sort of reminders. I've already moved Geostrings into my quick launch area so that I can access it more rapidly.

    I don't know how the app is coded so I don't know how difficult it would be to add such a feature.

    Tony
    metus delenda est

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  13.    #553  
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    Obviously, that would work but I have a number of problems with that approach. Calendar works best for appointments or events rather than simple reminders. It defaults to one hour blocks (I know - that can be changed). Also, if I have a number of reminders they would really clutter up the calendar.

    What I'm really looking for is a simple reminder. A to-do list which had a specific time, rather than just a day/date would work.

    The reason I mention a global or location-less reminder option for GeoStrings is that it could then be the only program needed for any sort of reminders. I've already moved Geostrings into my quick launch area so that I can access it more rapidly.

    I don't know how the app is coded so I don't know how difficult it would be to add such a feature.

    Tony
    Someone did ask about this. Here's the response I posted: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2193602

    But essentially I designed GeoStrings from the ground up to be centered around location-based reminders. It does have date, time, and day-of-the-week options, but their main purpose is to enhance the location-based reminders.

    However I have to admit that I have on occasion used GeoStrings for simple time-based reminders. For instance if I'm at home and want to remember to do something later on that night, I'll set a reminder at my home location (which is saved to my favorites list) and set a start time.

    So yes I can see the appeal of this type of option, but as I mentioned in my previous post, simply allowing a GeoString to have no location set would not be sufficient in my eyes. The GeoStrings user interface is really designed around location-based reminders, so it would have to be expanded to accommodate a time-based option.

    Once I finish some of the other big things already on my list, perhaps I'll consider a "ChronoString" option.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  14. #554  
    Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, it wouldn't be just a simple matter to make a "chronostring" change. Still, a great bit of programming and a quite worthwhile app.

    Sorry I missed the earlier post.

    Tony
    metus delenda est

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  15.    #555  
    Quote Originally Posted by atalbert View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If I understand you correctly, it wouldn't be just a simple matter to make a "chronostring" change. Still, a great bit of programming and a quite worthwhile app.

    Sorry I missed the earlier post.

    Tony
    It would be simple if I implemented it the quick and dirty way. I could modify the code to allow GeoStrings to be saved without a location and if so, they would be forced to choose a date/time option.

    However if I want to implement it the right way (which I would if I did this), it would not be a quick change.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #556  
    Well, I can understand and appreciate your desire to do things the right way - you have certainly written a really nice app. When I was a cadet I had a cadre officer who always reminded us "it only costs a nickle more to go first class". Meaning, of course, to do things right.

    I guess, though, I don't understand why allowing GeoStrings to be saved without a location would be "quick and dirty". Wouldn't it just be adding an option for the user? Certainly, the great strength of the app is, and will always be, its location based reminder facet. It saves us from coming home, snapping our fingers, and saying "why the *&% didn't I think of that when I was _______ " (fill in the blank).

    Oh and I hope you don't feel I'm being argumentative here or denigrating your app. I honestly feel it's one of the better pieces of work I've seen for the Pre. I'm just looking for ways to solve my problem

    Thanks.

    Tony
    metus delenda est

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  17.    #557  
    I don't think you're being argumentative. You just want this tool to handle all your task-keeping needs.

    I think adding an option for a location-less GeoString is quick and dirty because a GeoString was designed to be a location-based reminder. So the edit and display screens are built around this concept.

    Also if I add a time-based task option, people will expect it to do much more than simply define a date and time.

    But for now I really want to focus on adding improvements to the existing experience, which is centered around location-based reminders.
  18. #558  
    Got it. Thanks for the response. You're probably correct about people wanting it to do more. I look forward to seeing where the app goes in the future.
    metus delenda est

    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "Remember, it's not the fall that kills you, it's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom." -- Jumpmaster, Ft. Benning, 1965
  19.    #559  
    I have a quick update, but first I wanted to address "Alejandro S." who posted precentral.net spam in one of the reviews for GeoStrings. After his precentral.net spiel, the only thing he mentioned about my app just happens to be 100% inaccurate. He said that you can't use a custom ringtone for the notification. But yes you can by going to the Preferences screen where you can select any ringtone or audio file on your device.

    So Alejandro S., if you're reading this, please update your review to be accurate. And as an added bonus, it would be great if you could keep your reviews on topic and remove your precentral.net spam.

    Now on to the update... Version 1.0.5 is going to be submitted today to address a few cosmetic issues that will soon materialize. I can't discuss the reasons behind these issues yet, but if you're following webOS news, I'm sure you can guess what it is. When my lips are unsealed (legally), I'll discuss this in further detail because I would have preferred to release this much earlier but my hands have been tied.

    In the process of fixing one of these issues, I implemented an exciting new feature that was previously suggested in this thread. I was reluctant to do this for various reasons, but now due to this issue, I think it's the right time. I'll post more details later today.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  20. #560  
    Uh oh... now we have update anxiety for the OS and this App!

    Can't wait to see the update (both).
    Follow me on teh Twitterz

Posting Permissions