Page 27 of 40 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Hi Dan, I have an idea for your next app project I don't think it would be very hard (but what do I know), but it would work somewhat like your Geostring app but instead it would be Geosecurity. Based on your location it would activate the pin lock feature automatically.
  2.    #522  
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    Hi Dan, I have an idea for your next app project I don't think it would be very hard (but what do I know), but it would work somewhat like your Geostring app but instead it would be Geosecurity. Based on your location it would activate the pin lock feature automatically.
    I don't think it's possible to activate the pin lock with the current SDK.

If one day it is possible to modify device settings via the SDK, I may incorporate this type of ability directly into GeoStrings since I already have the groundwork established for location monitoring.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  3.    #523  
    I'm happy to announce that a free trial version of GeoStrings has been submitted to the app catalog! This version is going to be made available to all countries.

A few things to know about the trial version:

- It has all of the features of the full version of GeoStrings. Everything you can do in GeoStrings you can do in the trial version.

- For people in the U.S., the trial app will expire 10 days after the first time it's run. For people outside of the U.S., the trial app will expire in 45 days. This will give international users until April to use the app. Hopefully by then paid apps will be available and if you enjoy the app, you can upgrade to the full version at that time. This idea was inspired by spdsktr and his FlashCards app.

- There will be an upgrade screen available in the trial app (accessible via a button on the main GeoStrings screen, as well as an item in the app menu). On the upgrade screen, with a single tap of a button, all of your saved GeoString reminders, locations, location groups, and preferences will be transferred from the trial version to the full version. So you can upgrade and never miss a beat!

Along with the new trial app, I've also released version 1.0.4 of the GeoStrings app which contains the following features and fixes:

- Add support for a trial version of the app
    - Add the ability to configure the units of distance on the Preferences screen (miles or kms). The default unit of distance for people in the U.S. will automatically be set to miles when you first run the app. For people outside of the U.S., it will be set to kms.
    - Fixed bug where the "Delete GeoString after being deactivated" flag would be set true if the default setting in the Preferences was set to true regardless of what the user chose on a particular GeoString.
    - Replace eval calls with Mojo.parseJSON

Feature-wise, this is a very light update to the app; however adding support for the trial version (especially the data transfer feature) required a lot of changes to the app. So this release is really dedicated to international users who haven't been able to experience GeoStrings, as well as people who would like to try it out before purchasing it.

But another good thing about the new "data transfer" feature is it set up the framework for the eventual version 1.1.0 which will add the ability to backup and restore (and sync) your data to the cloud.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

4.    #524  
    Version 1.0.4 is now available in the catalog (see my previous post for details on this release). The trial version is still under review. I'll post back on here when it's available.

5.    #525  
    The free trial version of GeoStrings is now available in the app catalog! So go check it out if you don't already have GeoStrings on your phone!

It has been submitted to all available countries/regions. If someone here lives outside of the U.S., let me know if you see it in your app catalog and which country you live in. I'd like to be sure it's available in all countries.

And remember, everyone outside of the U.S. has 45 days to try it out since paid apps will not appear until March. People in the U.S. have a 10-day trial period.

I'll be posting a new video tonight demonstrating the trial version, specifically the data transfer feature that allows you to transfer all of your saved GeoStrings, locations, location groups, and preferences with a single tap of a button.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The free trial version of GeoStrings is now available in the app catalog! So go check it out if you don't already have GeoStrings on your phone!

It has been submitted to all available countries/regions. If someone here lives outside of the U.S., let me know if you see it in your app catalog and which country you live in. I'd like to be sure it's available in all countries.

And remember, everyone outside of the U.S. has 45 days to try it out since paid apps will not appear until March. People in the U.S. have a 10-day trial period.

I'll be posting a new video tonight demonstrating the trial version, specifically the data transfer feature that allows you to transfer all of your saved GeoStrings, locations, location groups, and preferences with a single tap of a button.
    Great news. I've been hanging out for this. Just downloaded on a Spanish Pre in Australia. Thank you for making a trial version available for the deprived non-US Pre owners.
  7.    #527  
    I've uploaded the video demonstrating the GeoStrings trial version. The video showcases its ability to transfer all of your saved data and preferences from the trial version to the full version in one easy step.

Here is the link to the video:

8.    #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Great news. I've been hanging out for this. Just downloaded on a Spanish Pre in Australia. Thank you for making a trial version available for the deprived non-US Pre owners.
    Very cool! Thanks for letting me know. If people in other countries see the app available in their catalogs, please post it here.

9.    #529  
    I received a review on my trial app and it's really odd. It's a 2-star review and the only thing it says is: "I don't understand it?".

What don't they understand? I don't understand what they don't understand. I think I'm making my head spin.

I was JUST coming here to comment on that...

Gotta love the idiots who give you a bad rating because they don't understand your app. Try going to the developer support page, Fscktard.
    I received a review on my trial app and it's really odd. It's a 2-star review and the only thing it says is: "I don't understand it?".

What don't they understand? I don't understand what they don't understand. I think I'm making my head spin.
    Don't sweat it. I think they simply do not get the idea of location based reminder's. Probably their first smart phone from an old feature phone and are not used to the idea of it being 'so smart'.
  12.    #532  
    The only explanation I thought of was perhaps this person is in another country and doesn't speak English well and couldn't understand the text in the app. I submitted the app to every single country on the list because I wanted everyone to have the opportunity to use the app. So perhaps some people are receiving this app in their catalogs and expect them to be translated to their native languages.

Or it could just be someone who doesn't understand the concept of location-based reminders. Who knows...

Or it could just be someone who doesn't understand the concept of location-based reminders. Who knows...
    Just like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie, the world may never know (unless you accept 3). I know the frustration of not being able to get inside the head of a reviewer when they refuse to email you directly and instead post a review (or even submit a bug report through the app catalog).

What a dip-stick! If you don't understand it, how can you offer an opinion on it, or worse still rate it.
  15.    #535  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    What a dip-stick! If you don't understand it, how can you offer an opinion on it, or worse still rate it.
    Well another reviewer chimed in and basically said the same thing.

16.    #536  
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Just like how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie, the world may never know (unless you accept 3). I know the frustration of not being able to get inside the head of a reviewer when they refuse to email you directly and instead post a review (or even submit a bug report through the app catalog).
    It's much easier for them to write a short review and vent that way than to email the dev.

It would be nice if they had an "email the dev" option right on the reviews page so they were at least given the opportunity to easily contact us directly. I have feedback and support email links on my app's help screen, but some people don't take the time to bring it up.

Hey Dan,

Since purchase, I've begun to actually use this nice little program enough to actually comment and request some changes. Thanks for all of your efforts!

Now for the humble requests:

- repeating per day events (take trash out on tuesday as I approach the house). I know I've already said this one, and you are working on it

- alert distance per location instead of global. House, I want notified when I'm there. Some stores, however, are kinda far from the main road, so I'd like alerts further from them

- use standard alerts rather than the large box you are doing now. At least as an option. I like the consistency of this phone, and this different style of alerting really bothers me.

Thanks again!
  18.    #538  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    - repeating per day events (take trash out on tuesday as I approach the house). I know I've already said this one, and you are working on it
    Yep, it's on my to-do list.

- alert distance per location instead of global. House, I want notified when I'm there. Some stores, however, are kinda far from the main road, so I'd like alerts further from them
    I chose to associate the target radius to the GeoString instead of the location for two reasons:

1) I think in most cases, a desired target radius is based upon the task vs. the location. For instance, I may want to be reminded to drop by Best Buy to pick up a certain movie the next time I drive by. In that case, I'll set the target radius to a higher value. But I may have another GeoString set to remind myself to do something at Best Buy at a specific time that I plan on going there. In that case, I'll set the target radius to a smaller value.

But you are correct that there are a few exceptions to this. For instance the target radius at your home is probably going to be the same regardless of the task.

2) GeoStrings allows you to assign multiple locations to a single task. So it's not feasible to correlate the target radius to a location because a GeoString may have multiple locations and as I mentioned in reason #1, in most cases a person is going to want a target radius assigned based upon the task, not the location. For instance you may assign a task to remind yourself to pick up vitamins the next time you drive near Walmart, CVS pharmacy, or Target. In that case, you'd want to set a specific target radius for the task, not for each location.

- use standard alerts rather than the large box you are doing now. At least as an option. I like the consistency of this phone, and this different style of alerting really bothers me.
    I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do in this regard, but I do plan on adding some type of standard notification support. However it's still probably going to display the popup by default. However when the user removes the popup, I'll probably have a notification at the bottom that they'll be able to access.

I've previously discussed my reasoning behind my choice of using a popup vs. a standard notification, but basically it all boils down to needing the screen real estate for the many options I provide the user in reaction to an alert (or multiple alerts). Having a smaller notification come up would require the user to tap it to display the larger popup. In my opinion, this is an unnecessary extra step.

The other reason is that I intentionally wanted people's attention drawn to the alert more so than most notifications. It's more crucial that people act on a GeoString notification than most other ones (like emails or text messages) because it's based upon a location and the person is on the move. They need to decide right there and then whether to complete the task. The same is not true for an email or text message.

Hey Dan,
    I know you want (deservedly) to be rewarded for your work but have you considered allowing other programs to use your location data?

I am not a WebOS developer so I haven't really dug into how the system works but it seems like we have more and more programs starting to fight for the GPS data. If I understand correctly, each request and use of the GPS receivers uses up more CPU cycles and battery.

Currently, GeoStrings is probably using the GPS far more than any other program. From what I have read, it also probably is the smartest about how it gets the data with your battery saving code. So, have you considered breaking that part of the code off and allowing other people access to the data? My weather app checks every 15 minutes. News app checks. Evernote checks. etc...

You could extend the code a little too so that if WebOS can't get the current GPS data it can say "this is where I last was 15 minutes ago, and it's accurate with x meters assuming he wasn't travelling faster than y speeds." Using my weather program example above, this would be useful for people like me that often find themselves stuck in a basement with no GPS signal for hours at a time.

Again, I know this is a product for you. But if done correctly, this could be a great service for other programs too. Just my thoughts...
  20.    #540  
    The GeoStrings battery saving code is revolved around the user's particular GeoString reminder settings. So I'm not sure it would be a reliable location provider. For instance, if they only have 1 GeoString active and its start time is 7pm, then GeoStrings won't retrieve any location data until 7pm. Or if that 1 GeoString has a start date of 2/21/10, it wouldn't run until then.

But yes, if GeoStrings are active without any other settings (time-based), then it could be using the GPS fairly often; however it would be dependent upon the locations saved in the GeoStrings. If they are far away, then the GPS poll rate wouldn't be so high.

Can you describe in more detail how you plan on using location data in your weather app?