Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ... 15202122232425262728293035 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 783
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #481  
    Hi Dan:

    I have a question. Is it within the realm of possibility that you could make an option to GeoStrings (or a whole 'nother app) that does this:
    Say for instance, I wanted to geotag all the good pizza stores that I know of in a 25 mile (or any area) radius.
    After I drive around to geotag all of these pizza stores via GPS, i would like to pull up a map within the app that would show ALL those tags and where they are, in ONE view.
    I know you have the smarts to make something like that. I'd just like to know if you will do it, if it would be an update to GeoStrings, or a totally different app altogether.
    Thanks for the work you do.
    -- Danny.

    PS: I posted this at the other thread too-

    http://m.forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2189167#post2189167
  2.    #482  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Hi Dan:

    I have a question. Is it within the realm of possibility that you could make an option to GeoStrings (or a whole 'nother app) that does this:
    Say for instance, I wanted to geotag all the good pizza stores that I know of in a 25 mile (or any area) radius.
    After I drive around to geotag all of these pizza stores via GPS, i would like to pull up a map within the app that would show ALL those tags and where they are, in ONE view.
    I know you have the smarts to make something like that. I'd just like to know if you will do it, if it would be an update to GeoStrings, or a totally different app altogether.
    Thanks for the work you do.
    -- Danny.
    I've discussed different mapping options earlier in this thread. Originally I planned on including an option to map all active GeoStrings on a single map, as well as provide a way to add locations via a map. However I ran across some technical difficulties with the Google Map API (refer to previous discussions in this thread for more details).

    I plan on revisiting this at a later date; however, I don't see me adding an option to map random locations that have been saved into the app. I don't see that as a being a feature that would benefit GeoStrings users. Mapping the locations in the active GeoString reminders would make sense since it would give people an overview of where their tasks are around town.

    As far as creating a separate app, I have other ideas I'd like to pursue for new apps, so no I wouldn't have time to create this type of app. But just out of curiosity, why do you want this type of app? What benefit do you see it having?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  3. #483  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I've discussed different mapping options earlier in this thread. Originally I planned on including an option to map all active GeoStrings on a single map, as well as provide a way to add locations via a map. However I ran across some technical difficulties with the Google Map API (refer to previous discussions in this thread for more details).

    I plan on revisiting this at a later date; however, I don't see me adding an option to map random locations that have been saved into the app. I don't see that as a being a feature that would benefit GeoStrings users. Mapping the locations in the active GeoString reminders would make sense since it would give people an overview of where their tasks are around town.

    As far as creating a separate app, I have other ideas I'd like to pursue for new apps, so no I wouldn't have time to create this type of app. But just out of curiosity, why do you want this type of app? What benefit do you see it having?
    Well, for one, like you mentioned; to see an overview of tasks you have around town.
    OR: Say I visit different towns for business. I could geotag the locations of all the good places to eat, shop for the wife, hang out with the guys and have all the spots in one view for the next time i visit.
  4.    #484  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Well, for one, like you mentioned; to see an overview of tasks you have around town.
    OR: Say I visit different towns for business. I could geotag the locations of all the good places to eat, shop for the wife, hang out with the guys and have all the spots in one view for the next time i visit.
    Well maybe I could add a mapping function to the Location Groups screen. That would work for your scenario. You could add all your favorite places to a location group and then map them all. And I think that might be useful for people to see the locations in a group on a single map.

    So when I start working on this again, I'll do that.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5. #485  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Well maybe I could add a mapping function to the Location Groups screen. That would work for your scenario. You could add all your favorite places to a location group and then map them all. And I think that might be useful for people to see the locations in a group on a single map.

    So when I start working on this again, I'll do that.
    That would be great!
    I think it's one of those features that people would say; "I don't know how i did without this before."
    Thanks very much for your response to the idea. It's good to see a dev that cares about his work.
    Thank you.
  6. #486  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Well maybe I could add a mapping function to the Location Groups screen. That would work for your scenario. You could add all your favorite places to a location group and then map them all. And I think that might be useful for people to see the locations in a group on a single map.

    So when I start working on this again, I'll do that.
    You're already working on your next project?
  7. #487  
    Yayy I finally brought my 1st app that wasn't a game. Oh and I must say I haven't forgot to pick up anybody from school yet! This is a must have for any human because we all forget things!
  8.    #488  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    You're already working on your next project?
    No, when I said "when I start working on this again", I meant the mapping features.

    I'm actually working on the next release of GeoStrings now and should have it ready soon.

    I do have an idea for my next project but it's only in the conceptual phase right now.
  9.    #489  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Yayy I finally brought my 1st app that wasn't a game. Oh and I must say I haven't forgot to pick up anybody from school yet! This is a must have for any human because we all forget things!
    Cool thanks!
  10.    #490  
    Version 1.0.3 of GeoStrings has been submitted to Palm and should be available in the catalog in a few days.

    Here is the list of new features and fixes:

    - Tapping the titlebar at the top of the 'Add/Edit GeoString' screen will display a menu with a 'Save as new Geostring' selection. When this is selected, the data for the current GeoString will be saved to a new GeoString while leaving the original GeoString untouched (i.e. a duplicate GeoString is created).

    - Add the ability to customize, on the Preferences screen, the 6 preset snooze times that are available on the alert popup.

    - Add the ability to customize the alert notification sound on the Preferences screen. The user can select from the list of ringtones installed on the phone (the ones found in the 'Ringtones' directory visible when you connect the phone to your computer in 'USB Mode'). When selecting a ringtone, at the bottom-left corner of the ringtone list screen is an add icon which when pressed will allow the user to specify any music file on the phone as a ringtone. They then can select that ringtone for use as the GeoStrings alert sound.

    - Add a repeating audible alarm interval option on the Preferences screen. If selected, when a GeoString goes into alert, the audible alarm will play repeatedly at the specified time interval. Any interaction with the alert popup will terminate the audible alarms after the current sound finishes playing. If a repeating audible alarm interval is set, the audible alarms will be limited to this playback length to ensure the sounds do not overlap when they are re-played.

    - Increase the maximum number of results from 8 to 32 when performing a business search.

    - Add additional checks to help eliminate duplicate and invalid results in business searches.

    - If the current location is known, submit it in the business search query so the results are centered around that position.

    - On the business search screen, add a note to the interactive help system discussing the map icon listed to each item on the results list.

    - Add a 'GPS Fix' selection on the app's help screen. This will allow the user to re-establish a GPS fix when their GPS positional readings are inaccurate. This procedure will be described in the FAQ which is also accessible on the app's help screen.

    - Fix an issue where if you exited the add/edit geostrings screen before the locations load, an error would occur indicating there are no locations.

    - When editing a GeoString do not check the validity of the start date.

    - When editing a GeoString do not check the validity of the expiration date unless the GeoString is active.

    - When selecting a favorite/history location for a GeoString or when selecting a history location for a location group, do not display interactive help balloons where there are no relevant hotspots.

    - Increased the default opacity of the blue 'string-on-a-finger' backgrounds. As before, the opacity level can be adjusted on the Preferences screen.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  11. #491  
    Can't wait for the new update but I came across an issue this morning.

    I'm laying in bed thinking about my day and everything I have to do. For some reason I thought about Geostrings so I open up the app to create a new geostring enter the information but NOT a location because I don't care where I'm at I NEED to do the task at a specific time of the day. The issue I'm getting (maybe it's not an issue) but I can't save it without an location. I know it's call GEOstrings but I want this to replace the task app. So maybe a dialog box to pop up that asks do I really want to save it without a location. I don't care where I'm at I just need to pick up something.

    Still the best app in Webos land!
  12.    #492  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Can't wait for the new update but I came across an issue this morning.

    I'm laying in bed thinking about my day and everything I have to do. For some reason I thought about Geostrings so I open up the app to create a new geostring enter the information but NOT a location because I don't care where I'm at I NEED to do the task at a specific time of the day. The issue I'm getting (maybe it's not an issue) but I can't save it without an location. I know it's call GEOstrings but I want this to replace the task app. So maybe a dialog box to pop up that asks do I really want to save it without a location. I don't care where I'm at I just need to pick up something.

    Still the best app in Webos land!
    Someone else emailed me with that suggestion, but as you said the name is GeoStrings. The location check is in place because the main purpose of this app is, and always will be, setting location-based reminders. So no, I don't allow people to save a GeoString without a location specified.

    I doubt this app will ever evolve to be a fully-fledged time-based task manager. There are just too many things that would need to be added to accommodate a proper time-based task management system. As it is right now it would be very basic and in my opinion if something is going to be done, it should be done right. So there would have to be a major redesign of the app to provide a proper user experience for time-based tasks.

    And if you watch my video you'll see that the whole premise behind the app is that many tasks people have are actually based around a particular location, not a time. So that's really what I want the app to focus on.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  13. #493  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I do have an idea for my next project but it's only in the conceptual phase right now.
    I don't know whether to be excited (to see what you come up with next) or concerned (that GeoStrings might have your attention somewhat diverted).

    Of course, I'm joking about the concern. AND, if you *never* add features to GeoStrings it's still incredibly useful. But I see 1.3 is coming; you've put so much into it I just don't know which one to pick to start playing with.
  14.    #494  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I don't know whether to be excited (to see what you come up with next) or concerned (that GeoStrings might have your attention somewhat diverted).

    Of course, I'm joking about the concern. AND, if you *never* add features to GeoStrings it's still incredibly useful. But I see 1.3 is coming; you've put so much into it I just don't know which one to pick to start playing with.
    I'm probably going to start working on my next project this month. But I'll still be focusing mainly on GeoStrings. I still have several features I want to work on.

    Of the new features in 1.0.3, I'd say people are probably going to most enjoy the custom notification and snooze options. I think the other standout in the release is the set of improvements to the business search.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  15. #495  
    hi.i just purchased geostrings thru app catalog, and for some reason it installed 1.0.2 on my pre. i then tryed to update to 1.0.3 but got a "install failed" message. please help
  16.    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericizzy1 View Post
    hi.i just purchased geostrings thru app catalog, and for some reason it installed 1.0.2 on my pre. i then tryed to update to 1.0.3 but got a "install failed" message. please help
    Yep, I was just about to announce this actually. The app catalog is having issues with several updated apps. The new version of GeoStrings (1.0.3) was published last night (according to Palm's web site); however, 1.0.2 is still showing up in the app catalog this morning. I've posted a message on the Palm Developer forums. So hopefully later today they'll post the new version.

    And again here's the change log for 1.0.3: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2192695

    And here's a new video I shot demonstrating all of the new customization options available on the Preferences menu in version 1.0.3:
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  17.    #497  
    I was able to update the app on my wife's phone. I did it by opening up the app catalog and tapping the shopping cart icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen. It showed the 1.0.3 update and let me install it.

    However oddly enough if I search for the app in the catalog, it still shows version 1.0.2.

    So for everyone who'd like to upgrade, you should be able to now. However people buying the app for the first time will probably be getting version 1.0.2 until Palm can fix the issue. They're aware of it and the issue has been sent to their engineers.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  18. #498  
    im all good now. thank you for a great app. well worth my $3. thanks
  19.    #499  
    Now it's showing up with the correct version, but it lists it under "Yesterday" even though it only just now showed up.

    But at least it's there now!
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  20. scottmial's Avatar
    Posts
    13 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    #500  
    If I upgrade today, I will loose all of my tasks that I have entered, right? If so I will upgrade a little later. Hopefully I will complete everything in the next day or two.

Posting Permissions