Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 14192021222324252627282934 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I think I just found a small bug! Tap an already existing GeoString and quickly do the back gesture. It will tell you that there was no location added and it asks you if you'd like to continue or discard it. If you press continue the rest of the information of the GeoString is loaded properly and it saves fine when you back gesture out.

Also DanPLC, can you implement a way to add multiple start/end times to a single GeoString? The dilema I have is I have to deposit money in the bank so I have the start/end time from 9am-7pm. The problem is I go to school during those times in the week but I'm free during those times in the weekend.

So is it possible?
  2.    #462  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I think I just found a small bug! Tap an already existing GeoString and quickly do the back gesture. It will tell you that there was no location added and it asks you if you'd like to continue or discard it. If you press continue the rest of the information of the GeoString is loaded properly and it saves fine when you back gesture out.

Also DanPLC, can you implement a way to add multiple start/end times to a single GeoString? The dilema I have is I have to deposit money in the bank so I have the start/end time from 9am-7pm. The problem is I go to school during those times in the week but I'm free during those times in the weekend.

So is it possible?
    Yeah that error is happening because you're exiting the screen before the locations get a chance to load. I'll put in a fix for that.

Someone else mentioned wanting separate start/end times per day of the week. I'll investigate that. Also I plan on adding a "duplicate GeoString" function so that would help with your scenario as well.
    DanPlc I am trying to set a Geostring reminder. When I do a search for a business it finds the business, I open the map to see where it is at as well as tap the blue dot to see if it has me in the right location. It wouldn't find a fix on my location. I fired up Where and it finds me. I checked location services and had google checked but it says I am about 45 miles from where I am.

Edit: I have to have both GPs and Google checked in location services for it to work.
  4.    #464  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    DanPlc I am trying to set a Geostring reminder. When I do a search for a business it finds the business, I open the map to see where it is at as well as tap the blue dot to see if it has me in the right location. It wouldn't find a fix on my location. I fired up Where and it finds me. I checked location services and had google checked but it says I am about 45 miles from where I am.

Edit: I have to have both GPs and Google checked in location services for it to work.
    Correct, you should have "GPS" checked for the most accurate results. And for some people unchecking "Google Services" also produces better results. See the FAQ located on the app's help screen for more details.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Anybody check out "Space Alarm"? in the app catalog?
    Its along the same idea as geostrings, location alarm stuff...

Its a very very simple application, but it does have one cool thing, it opens a map, you can browse around and then "tap" on the location you want your location alarm centered. It works pretty good. The interface is a little... rough, but it does work. And its free. The authors notes said his inspiration is being able to snooze on the bus and have the phone wake you up before your stop. Kind of a fun idea.

I think this kind of map would be a very worthy addition to Geostrings... doing a business searches is just a hassle sometimes. A map you can click on would be a mighty nice feature to add someday.
  6.    #466  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    Anybody check out "Space Alarm"? in the app catalog?
    Its along the same idea as geostrings, location alarm stuff...

Its a very very simple application, but it does have one cool thing, it opens a map, you can browse around and then "tap" on the location you want your location alarm centered. It works pretty good. The interface is a little... rough, but it does work. And its free. The authors notes said his inspiration is being able to snooze on the bus and have the phone wake you up before your stop. Kind of a fun idea.

I think this kind of map would be a very worthy addition to Geostrings... doing a business searches is just a hassle sometimes. A map you can click on would be a mighty nice feature to add someday.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have to keep the Space Alarm app open for it to work. In my opinion that makes it useless. The whole point of GeoStrings is that it reminds you of things you'd normally forget when you reach locations. The app may be free, but you're getting what you're paying for.

Like I've mentioned before, I was going to allow users to select locations via map input; however I found that the Google Maps API had 2 technical issues:

1) App load time increased by 6-7 seconds
    2) On occasion, the API would fail to load inexplicably even though I had a solid network connection

At some point I'll revisit the API to see if either webOS or Google has fixed these issues.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    What I found useful with Space Alarm was that it sent the alarm sound to my bluetooth headset when I was paired up. Quite often I don't hear the alarm sound that the Pre makes (including the newer, and much appreciated, Geostrings alarm) when the phone is in the Palm case on my hip or in the other seat while driving. Having the alarm come to my headset would be a nice addition to Geostrings. Space Alarm also has a "persistent" alarm that never stops. I don't care for that much but perhaps it could be a user "preference" in Geostrings. Just thinkin' out loud

Each of these apps (including Geotasks - which is in Preware) have their own unique uses.

Gerry
    space alarm can't really compete with geostrings, I just really like the map selection feature. It might take longer to load but it's faster to find the spot where I want my alarm located with the map. (vs searching for a business and then opening the map to make sure I got the right one.)

I do hope you will revisit the idea some day.
    Last edited by mobilemitch; 01/27/2010 at 09:00 AM. Reason: I said GeoTASKS, I meant GeoSTRINGS
  9.    #469  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    space alarm can't really compete with geotasks, I just really like the map selection feature. It might take longer to load but it's faster to find the spot where I want my alarm located with the map. (vs searching for a business and then opening the map to make sure I got the right one.)

I do hope you will revisit the idea some day.
    I assume you meant "can't really compete with GeoStrings". Otherwise you're in the wrong thread.

It not only took longer to load, it also was not 100% reliable in loading the Google API. When the API failed to load, you would get an error if you tried to load the map. Even though this happened fairly rarely, it was enough to warrant the removal of this feature.

And while I thought adding a "map input" option was a good idea, I don't think it's faster in many cases than using the business search. I live in a relatively small city and it still would be a pain to pan and zoom around a city map to find a business. In a larger city, it would be even more of a hassle. Typing in the business name and selecting it from a list is so much easier in my opinion. The time when a "map input" would be quicker is if the location happens to be right near your current location.

Also with my location history/favorites/groups feature, as you use the app more and more, in many cases you won't even have to use any search function.

But I will revisit this in the future to see if things have improved with the API.

10.    #470  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    What I found useful with Space Alarm was that it sent the alarm sound to my bluetooth headset when I was paired up.
    I don't have a bluetooth headset to test this with, but I assume Space Alarm must be playing a normal audio sound to achieve this. I play the sound using the notification sound function which allows the app to vibrate when the phone is in silence mode. If I played the notification sound as a normal audio file, the sound would play even when the phone was in silent mode which is not desirable for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Space Alarm also has a "persistent" alarm that never stops. I don't care for that much but perhaps it could be a user "preference" in Geostrings. Just thinkin' out loud
    I'll play with the persistent alarm and see what it sounds like and maybe add it as an option on the Preferences screen.

DanPLC I was using Geostrings today and set a reminder for Home Depot. I added a note and saved it. I verified by opening the note back up. I got to Home Depot to get the number for the light bulbs and filter I was purchasing but the note was empty. What would cause the note to disappear? How can I make sure the note doesn't disappear in the future?
  12.    #472  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    DanPLC I was using Geostrings today and set a reminder for Home Depot. I added a note and saved it. I verified by opening the note back up. I got to Home Depot to get the number for the light bulbs and filter I was purchasing but the note was empty. What would cause the note to disappear? How can I make sure the note doesn't disappear in the future?
    When you "added the note and saved it", did you make sure you saved the GeoString itself by either tapping the disk icon on the top-left corner of the screen or swiping backwards in the gesture area to return to the GeoString list? If so, was this (adding the note) the only edit you made when you opened up the GeoString, or were you making other edits at the same time?

When you said you "verified by opening the note back up", did you do that after saving the GeoString and opening the GeoString back up?

Did this GeoString go into alert (resulting in an alert popup)? Or did you just manually open up the GeoStrings app and open up this GeoString to look at your note?

Also can you give me the exact text you typed into your note? Try to remember any special characters (quotes, ampersands, etc.) you may have typed in.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    A few people have asked about adding a note icon next to each GeoString on the alert popups. The problem is there isn't much room on the popup. If I add an icon next to each list item, it'll reduce the amount of space available to display the task, location, and distance to location.

But since this seems to be a popular request, I'll think about how to best solve this dilemma.
    It seems like it would be most reasonable to only put the note icon on any alert that actually has a note. Then it's easy to see whether there's a note or not, and get straight to it, but for ones without, no extra space is taken.
  14.    #474  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    It seems like it would be most reasonable to only put the note icon on any alert that actually has a note. Then it's easy to see whether there's a note or not, and get straight to it, but for ones without, no extra space is taken.
    And that very well be the path I take. I do have a few other ideas rattling around in my head related to this though.

I've been enjoying the Geostrings app- thank you, but I have a question:

I missed a critical event last evening because a Geostrings Task I had configured about 7 days before didn't go off as scheduled. I rechecked the Task and confirmed it is scheduled correctly, but can't see what may have gone wrong.

I have attached a couple of screen prints of the schedule I had set up.

Is there any point where Geostrings would stop running in the background thereby stopping the Task from executing? The only change I'd done between the time I scheduled it and its execution (7 days) is put it in and back out of developer mode to install a Homebrew app (reboot each time).

Would you see this as cause of the problem? I'd be happy to help test if necessary.

I am running GeoString version 1.0.2

Thank you and great work!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  16.    #476  
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJstreet View Post
    I've been enjoying the Geostrings app- thank you, but I have a question:

I missed a critical event last evening because a Geostrings Task I had configured about 7 days before didn't go off as scheduled. I rechecked the Task and confirmed it is scheduled correctly, but can't see what may have gone wrong.

I have attached a couple of screen prints of the schedule I had set up.

Is there any point where Geostrings would stop running in the background thereby stopping the Task from executing? The only change I'd done between the time I scheduled it and its execution (7 days) is put it in and back out of developer mode to install a Homebrew app (reboot each time).

Would you see this as cause of the problem? I'd be happy to help test if necessary.

Thank you and great work!
    GeoStrings runs in the background when it needs to regardless of how far in advance you set your reminders. And reboots should not affect the scheduling. For instance, if this was your only active GeoString, then it wouldn't run in the background until January 28th at 7:30pm. At 7:30pm on that day, it would start periodically running in the background until 8:00pm. Again this is assuming you have no other active GeoStrings. If you did have other ones, the app would run in the background when necessary for all of the other GeoStrings.

So the question is were you within 0.5 miles of your location between 7:30pm and 8:00pm on January 28th? And were you driving by the location or were you at that location during the whole time period? If you were just driving by, it's possible to miss the location when setting a target radius less than 1 mile. I discuss the recommended target radius settings in my video. I also mention this in the interactive help system bubble displayed next to the target radius field.

If you were stationary at this location during this time period, then you should check out the FAQ on the app's help screen to determine if perhaps you could be experiencing inaccurate GPS positional readings. The FAQ lists a few troubleshooting steps which have helped other people with their inaccurate readings (which are related to the webOS location service).

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    GeoStrings runs in the background when it needs to regardless of how far in advance you set your reminders. And reboots should not affect the scheduling. For instance, if this was your only active GeoString, then it wouldn't run in the background until January 28th at 7:30pm. At 7:30pm on that day, it would start periodically running in the background until 8:00pm. Again this is assuming you have no other active GeoStrings. If you did have other ones, the app would run in the background when necessary for all of the other GeoStrings.

So the question is were you within 0.5 miles of your location between 7:30pm and 8:00pm on January 28th? And were you driving by the location or were you at that location during the whole time period? If you were just driving by, it's possible to miss the location when setting a target radius less than 1 mile. I discuss the recommended target radius settings in my video. I also mention this in the interactive help system bubble displayed next to the target radius field.

If you were stationary at this location during this time period, then you should check out the FAQ on the app's help screen to determine if perhaps you could be experiencing inaccurate GPS positional readings. The FAQ lists a few troubleshooting steps which have helped other people with their inaccurate readings (which are related to the webOS location service).
    Thanks for your prompt reply:

I was at the location during the entire period between 7:30 and 8:00pm as scheduled.

I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of the Pre's GPS position at the time even though I have a strong signal, although I assumed since GeoStrings accurately found the location's address during the initial search, it would use that to trigger the alert.

My only reasoning to bring the alert down to .05 miles is that I live within a mile of the location, and didn't want the alert to come up until I was closer to the venue.

I'll play around with the radius and time settings to see if I can get the alert to trigger at the same location. I may have narrowed down the alert window too much?

Thank you again.
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
  18.    #478  
    Thanks for your prompt reply:

I was at the location during the entire period between 7:30 and 8:00pm as scheduled.

I didn't take into consideration the accuracy of the Pre's GPS position at the time even though I have a strong signal, although I assumed since GeoStrings accurately found the location's address during the initial search, it would use that to trigger the alert.
    When you search for a location via a business name, address/intersection, or contact search, it's submitting the business name or address to Google and retrieving the exact GPS (latitude/longitude) coordinates at that location.

But if the phone's GPS was sending inaccurate positional readings during the 7:30 - 8:00 time period, then it may have had you located farther away than 0.5 miles from the location. Please follow the steps listed in the FAQ on the app's help page to help troubleshoot this type of issue if it happens again.

My only reasoning to bring the alert down to .05 miles is that I live within a mile of the location, and didn't want the alert to come up until I was closer to the venue.
    A 0.5 radius should be fine if you're stationary at that location, again assuming your GPS is producing accurate results.

I'll play around with the radius and time settings to see if I can get the alert to trigger at the same location. I may have narrowed down the alert window too much?
    The other thing to verify is that the location you saved is the location you're really thinking of. When you save a location, you can tap the map icon to view it on a map. So for this particular location, I'd verify it's the correct location.

There's a store in my town that came up in the Google business search and saved successfully as a location to my GeoString. But I didn't get a reminder when I arrived there. I checked the location on the map and it was completely wrong. Later that day, I checked Google on my computer and it was Google that was messed up for that particular location.

Looking forward to checking this out. Some things I'd like to see (if not there already, will know soon enough :-) ):

- notifications as arrive and as leave an area, not just as arrive. I expect that is probably already there?

- The above, but on a 'day of week'. For example: On tuesdays, as I approach my house, I want to be reminded to charge my bike lights, and to take out the trash.

- WebOS event 'triggers'. This would be WAY COOL. For example: When arriving at my house, turn off phone data usage, and bring up wifi. When I then leave the house, take down wifi and bring up phone data.
  20.    #480  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Looking forward to checking this out. Some things I'd like to see (if not there already, will know soon enough :-) ):

- notifications as arrive and as leave an area, not just as arrive. I expect that is probably already there?

- The above, but on a 'day of week'. For example: On tuesdays, as I approach my house, I want to be reminded to charge my bike lights, and to take out the trash.

- WebOS event 'triggers'. This would be WAY COOL. For example: When arriving at my house, turn off phone data usage, and bring up wifi. When I then leave the house, take down wifi and bring up phone data.
    I plan on adding the option to be reminded when you "leave an area" in an upcoming release...possibly the next one.

I also plan on adding recurring alarms. My own personal motivation is also taking the trash out on Tuesdays!

Event triggers (such as turning on wifi), while a good idea, are not currently possible with the SDK.