Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425262732 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #421  
    Quote Originally Posted by apisto View Post
    That is great about the defered notification thing! I was going to suggest something like that, but did not want to seem to demanding in my first post.
    I think people will like this option. One tap and the GeoString is filed away until the next time you're at the location.

Thanks for giving the larger font size a test.
    You're welcome. However I imagine you'll still think it's too small.

I have only had my Pre for a few weeks, and the sprint nav/google maps relationship on the pre confuse me. For example, I have set Sprint Nav to be the default target for adresses. (I forget where I set this. It was when I first got the phone and was exploring all the settings.) Now when choosing a theatre address, Fandango will send it to Sprint Nav, but Flixter still sends it to Google Maps.
    There is no documented way to open up the navigation app via the APIs Palm provides. So I don't know how Fandango is doing it. I have to stick with what is documented on Palm's developer site.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    There is no documented way to open up the navigation app via the APIs Palm provides. So I don't know how Fandango is doing it. I have to stick with what is documented on Palm's developer site.
    In case it helps, I found where I set sprint nav as my default. I am sure this is something you are aware of already, but just in case:

Device Info App -> Preferences Menu -> Default Applications -> Adresses.

Silly Palm - why have that setting if it wond be observed?
    Last edited by apisto; 01/16/2010 at 03:52 PM.
  3.    #423  
    In case it helps, I found where I set sprint nav as my default. I am sure this is something you are aware of already, but just in case:

Device Info App -> Preferences Menu -> Default Applications -> Adresses.

Silly Palm - why have that setting if it wond be observed?
    You can also get there by bringing up launcher and selecting "Default Applications" under the app menu.
    Hi DanPLC,
    I'm going to do a Full Erase and Doctor my phone, and I was wondering if there is any way I can backup my strings. Since I'm experienced with SSH, is there a specific folder in the Pre's filesystem I can copy?
  5.    #425  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Hi DanPLC,
    I'm going to do a Full Erase and Doctor my phone, and I was wondering if there is any way I can backup my strings. Since I'm experienced with SSH, is there a specific folder in the Pre's filesystem I can copy?
    I plan on adding a backup/restore feature in a future release to make this type of operation easier.

However if you're familiar with SSH, I suppose you could copy the sqlite database file from the /media/internal/.app-storage/*geostrings* directory to your computer. Then after you doctor your phone, you could install GeoStrings again, then go back to that directory and copy in the backup file. You'll need to make sure the backup file is renamed to be the same name as the new database file (that was in the directory after re-installing GeoStrings).

Keep in mind I have not tried this backup method so I can't guarantee it'll work.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

I plan on adding a backup/restore feature in a future release to make this type of operation easier.

However if you're familiar with SSH, I suppose you could copy the sqlite database file from the /media/internal/.app-storage/*geostrings* directory to your computer. Then after you doctor your phone, you could install GeoStrings again, then go back to that directory and copy in the backup file. You'll need to make sure the backup file is renamed to be the same name as the new database file (that was in the directory after re-installing GeoStrings).

Keep in mind I have not tried this backup method so I can't guarantee it'll work.
    Thank you very your quick repsonse!! I'll post up how it goes
  7.    #427  
    I think I encountered a bug earlier today. So I'll write things in a list:
    1. I make a GeoString for the market with .50 mile radius.
    2. My house is .7 miles from the market.
    3. Today I'm at a restaurant and GeoStrings alerts me. I dismiss it with back gesture
    4. It happens a couple more times and i dismiss it the same way.
    5. I'm on my way home and I get another notification. This time i snooze for 15 minutes.
    6. I get home and about 15 min GeoStrings notifies me.
    7. So i dismiss it knowing that I'm outside the market radius.
    8. A few minutes later it rings while I'm at home, .70 miles away from market, .20 OUTSIDE target radius.
    9. I dismiss with back gesture, it ringers a few minutes later, and then I disable it.
    I found the cause of this issue. Thanks a lot for providing these detailed instructions on how to re-create the issue.

The fix for the issue will be included in the next release which will be submitted to Palm in the next day or two. In addition to a few bug fixes, this release is going to have several new features that people have requested either in this thread or via direct email.

- I need the extra space for the snooze options. Switching between a smaller and larger popup when they tap the alarm icon is not as visually pleasing in my opinion.
    I just wanted to say that this alone makes it worth having the larger size, throw in the others and I think you are definitely doing the right thing. The first couple times I got the alert window I was taken back by the size, but now its completely comfortable for me.
    I found the cause of this issue. Thanks a lot for providing these detailed instructions on how to re-create the issue.

The fix for the issue will be included in the next release which will be submitted to Palm in the next day or two. In addition to a few bug fixes, this release is going to have several new features that people have requested either in this thread or via direct email.
    I just had this happen to me yesterday night! So glad you posted about it. I wasn't sure if I hadn't done something wrong when I set my string. SO glad this community is so active! Looking forward to the update, DanPLC!
    Very frustrating to be outside the US and to not be able to get this application. Sounds like it would be one of my favourites.
  11.    #431  
    Version 1.0.2 has been submitted to the app catalog. Hopefully it'll show up in the catalog in the next few days.

Here's a list of all new features and fixes most of which originated from suggestions made in this thread or sent to me in email:

- Add a boomerang icon on the alert popup which when tapped will defer the 'in alert' GeoStrings until the next time the person leaves and re-enters the target area.

- Add the ability to add location groups or add locations to existing groups from the Locations screen.

- Add the ability to toggle a location's favorite status when tapping the location (on the same popup where you can edit its title).

- Add the ability to type a search string on the Location Group screen to find a particular location within the location groups.

- Add an option to the Preferences screen to change the transparency of the blue groups.

- Removed the restriction of needing to have at least 2 locations listed in a GeoString before you could save them to a location group. Now you only need 1 location listed.

- Fix issue where snoozed GeoStrings that were re-issued and dismissed would pop back up.

- Fix issue where if the start date of a snoozed GeoString is edited, when the start date is reached the GeoString would go into alert even if the target area was not reached.

- Fix issue where a double-quote in a location or location group name would generate an error when it was displayed in the location/group list.

- Increase the font of the GeoString title and location on the alert popup to make it easier to read.

- Add a small delay to the notification sound to allow the popup to finish rendering.

- Add app's version number when sending Feedback or Support email.

- Eliminate the slightly gray background on the notes icon on the 'Add/Edit GeoString' screen.

Have you thought of distributing GeoStrings through Palm's Web feed? That way updates would come out really fast. But you'd have to create some type of genuine check system.
  13.    #433  
    Have you thought of distributing GeoStrings through Palm's Web feed? That way updates would come out really fast. But you'd have to create some type of genuine check system.
    If I bypassed the review process and released it quickly via the web feed, I wouldn't be able to have the app in the catalog. And I definitely want to have it in there since most people will get their apps from the catalog.

However all catalog apps are also available on the web feed (see the link in my signature for an example). But the latest release won't appear in the web feed until the app has passed the review process.

The only way I could have it in both the catalog and quick-release web feed would be to create a new app id. And I don't think that's good for the users considering they'd have two copies of the app (and its corresponding GeoString data, Location data, and saved preferences).

After playing with Geostrings a bit more, I'm still really impressed with it. That said, there are a lingering issues.

First of all, it seems like the business search isn't nearly as good as Google Maps' search. Looks like what it's doing is using the current location to search for a city and state, and then doing the search in that city and state, instead of sorting items by proximity to the current location. So when I want to find the Best Buy that's right down the street, I have to find it among the (apparently randomly sorted) list of Best Buy's in the entire city. It also seems that it returns only 8 results, with no way to move to the next page of results.

The other issue I'm having is more of a feature request, sadly without a good proposal for an interface. I'm finding that I frequently want more complicated scheduling than a single time slot and which days to apply it to. Something like "During my drive home on weekdays, and all day on weekends." or "Saturday 10-10, Sunday 10-7" (store hours). I can make multiple geostrings to achieve that, but the process is awkward. Maybe just a way to copy an existing geostring and modify it would be enough.
  15.    #435  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    First of all, it seems like the business search isn't nearly as good as Google Maps' search. Looks like what it's doing is using the current location to search for a city and state, and then doing the search in that city and state, instead of sorting items by proximity to the current location. So when I want to find the Best Buy that's right down the street, I have to find it among the (apparently randomly sorted) list of Best Buy's in the entire city. It also seems that it returns only 8 results, with no way to move to the next page of results.
    I've thought of this myself actually. The Google Local Search API only returns a maximum of 8 results in each call. However upon further investigation, it looks like there may be a way to request more pages of results. So if that's true, I'll definitely include this in the next release.

Incidentally, I also investigated other Local Search APIs; however they all had other limitations that prevented me from using them. For instance, some of them prohibited use in commercial applications, or some of them had more restrictive quota limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    The other issue I'm having is more of a feature request, sadly without a good proposal for an interface. I'm finding that I frequently want more complicated scheduling than a single time slot and which days to apply it to. Something like "During my drive home on weekdays, and all day on weekends." or "Saturday 10-10, Sunday 10-7" (store hours). I can make multiple geostrings to achieve that, but the process is awkward. Maybe just a way to copy an existing geostring and modify it would be enough.
    I'll investigate adding the ability to specify a time window per day of the week.

Also I've been thinking about adding a "duplicate GeoString" function, so that'll be added in a future release.

Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I'll admit I didn't STRICTLY following 'someonewhobikes' instructions since I didn't set the geostring for some OTHER location and then go to that location but perhaps I should try that next. I wonder if 'someonewhobikes' has the problem in the scenario I just tried?

Gerry
    I did both what you did, and restarted Java just after setting the geostring but before it triggered. Both worked as expected; the alert triggered after a few minutes. You're right, it's not exactly the same scenario but it is close.

It's possible that my issue was because I was in a building, so I'm going to try one that will trigger outside. However, since it eventually *did* trigger in that building, and I was right next to a lot of south-facing windows, I'm suspecting that isn't the issue. It's now starting to warm up enough here in Missouri that I can actually stand outside long enough to try this.

If my outdoor one fails, then I've got to go to the folks that wrote Luna Mgr & see if they can figure out if anything different happens between Luna Mgr's "restart java" vs. a phone boot. Even if Dan did accept this as a potential bug (and I think it is reasonable that he did not) I'd just as soon Dan keep working on new features.

This is a step a user with a stock phone would not be able to do. That's what I was talking about. I can't troubleshoot an issue if this is one of the steps in re-creating the issue.
    <rhetorical question>You mean everyone doesn't root their Pre & put homebrew apps on? I'm shocked... EVERYONE I know with a Pre has done so (except my sister who shouldn't have a smartphone anyway). Of course, I work in IT with a bunch of other geeks; maybe that's a factor? </rhetorical>
    Last edited by someonewhobikes; 01/19/2010 at 01:34 PM.
  17.    #437  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    If my outdoor one fails, then I've got to go to the folks that wrote Luna Mgr & see if they can figure out if anything different happens between Luna Mgr's "restart java" vs. a phone boot. Even if Dan did accept this as a potential bug (and I think it is reasonable that he did not) I'd just as soon Dan keep working on new features.
    Fixing bugs is as important as adding new features, so please report any odd behavior you find with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the issue. However if one of the steps requires restarting Java, installing a patch or theme, or any other action that modifies the OS itself, then I won't be able to investigate the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    <rhetorica question>You mean everyone doesn't root their Pre & put homebrew apps on? I'm shocked... EVERYONE I know with a Pre has done so (except my sister who shouldn't have a smartphone anyway). Of course, I work in IT with a bunch of other geeks; maybe that's a factor? </rhetorical>
    Not everyone takes part in "rooting". I don't. While some of the patches are quite enticing, I just don't want to modify OS files. While I'm sure patch authors are very careful in the changes they make, they may not be considering all of the consequences even a simple change can make. I've seen too many cases of people having issues and it landed up being related to a patch.

Also uninstalling patches before every OS release and then re-installing them would be a pain. I know people are working on making this process easier, but as of today, it's still cumbersome.

18.    #438  
    For those of you outside of the U.S. patiently waiting for paid apps to arrive in the app catalog, I just wanted to let you guys know that I definitely plan on releasing GeoStrings internationally. In fact, I already contacted Palm with my app information and signed up for the European release in March.

As you may have noticed, the business search and address input screens currently contains only "City" and "State"; however if you enter in a country name in the "State" field, the search will actually work. So in a future release (prior to March), I will be modifying these screens to make it more apparent that it'll work for international addresses.

Also I've designed the app to allow the units to be easily interchangeable, so a future release will also add the ability to customize the units between miles and kms on the app's Preferences screen.

If there are any other international-specific changes that you feel may be necessary, let me know.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I bought this today, I feel it would come in handy for me. Tested it out and I'm excited to put it to real use!

Question - maybe I'm missing it, but is there any way I can add a repeating event...like I stop at the grocery store on Mondays before work to pick up bagels or oatmeal or whatever for the rest of the wewek - sometimes I get so caught up in the fact that it's Monday that I forget to stop there. Is there any way I can set the same string to go off every Monday?
  20.    #440  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy123 View Post
    I bought this today, I feel it would come in handy for me. Tested it out and I'm excited to put it to real use!

Question - maybe I'm missing it, but is there any way I can add a repeating event...like I stop at the grocery store on Mondays before work to pick up bagels or oatmeal or whatever for the rest of the wewek - sometimes I get so caught up in the fact that it's Monday that I forget to stop there. Is there any way I can set the same string to go off every Monday?
    No not currently, but that's a good idea. I was thinking about this today actually. I'm going to have to put some thought into how I'm going to implement it. But I'll definitely have this in a future release.