Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11161718192021222324252631 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 783
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #401  
    This will be the next app I buy, per an agreement with my wife , I have to limit myself to one paid app per month. Of course, I already blew my January wad on NFS. haha

    Not only is the app idea amazing, but your implementation and even more importantly, support of the app are phenomenal. Keep up the awesome work, I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next.
  2.    #402  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This will be the next app I buy, per an agreement with my wife , I have to limit myself to one paid app per month. Of course, I already blew my January wad on NFS. haha
    If your wife approved the purchase of a $10 app, you should try to convince her that since my app is only $3, you should be able to download $7 more worth of apps next month.

    Luckily I don't have such a strict set of rules from my wife concerning apps. I haven't even mentioned most of the apps I bought to her since they were 2 or 3 dollars. The only ones I mentioned were Picasa on Phone because I told her she had to get it too, and also I told her about NFS since that was was $10 and it seemed like that was large enough to warrant informing her.

    This is completely off-topic, but speaking of $10 payments, I sent a donation yesterday to help with the Haiti relief effort. I sent it to Oxfam which is located in the UK. Apparently my credit card company thought it was a suspicious transaction, so they locked our card. So about an hour later I got a call from my very irate wife trying to charge something on our credit card asking me if I charged $10 for something called "Oxfam". I was almost afraid to answer "yes".

    Lesson learned: donating to worthy causes while spiritually fulfilling, can be dangerous to your health.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    Not only is the app idea amazing, but your implementation and even more importantly, support of the app are phenomenal. Keep up the awesome work, I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve next.
    Thanks I appreciate it. I have an idea of what to work on next. If I can pull it off, it should be very interesting.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/14/2010 at 10:20 AM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  3. #403  
    I may have found a bug. Here's what you do:
    1) Set a geostring for your driveway to remind you to take the temp-sensitive stuff out of the trunk.
    2) Install something from PreWare that restarts Java
    3) Go home & go to bed.
    4) Wake up in the morning, remember that you should have taken the stuff out of the trunk. Fortunately it didn't get below zero last night like it was supposed to, so nothing froze.
    5) Check geostrings to see if you missed the alert, and find that you didn't.
    6) Look at the string (it was still in the active list) to see if you mis-configured something. Find that you didn't.
    7) When you swipe back to get to the strings list, the geostring gets saved.
    8) Notice that the alert comes up in 5 minutes or so.

    I was able to recreate the problem by using Luna Manager to restart Java, without installing anything. I waited 30 minutes or so to see if it'd trigger; it didn't. I re-saved the geostring; it took somewhere between 5-10 minutes (I was in a building & not really moving by that point) and then the alert popped up.

    I didn't spend a lot of time trying different cases (will a Luna restart do the same thing? for example). For some reason my employer thinks that I should actually be working on my job, not experimenting with my Pre.
  4.    #404  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    I may have found a bug. Here's what you do:
    1) Set a geostring for your driveway to remind you to take the temp-sensitive stuff out of the trunk.
    2) Install something from PreWare that restarts Java
    3) Go home & go to bed.
    4) Wake up in the morning, remember that you should have taken the stuff out of the trunk. Fortunately it didn't get below zero last night like it was supposed to, so nothing froze.
    5) Check geostrings to see if you missed the alert, and find that you didn't.
    6) Look at the string (it was still in the active list) to see if you mis-configured something. Find that you didn't.
    7) When you swipe back to get to the strings list, the geostring gets saved.
    8) Notice that the alert comes up in 5 minutes or so.

    I was able to recreate the problem by using Luna Manager to restart Java, without installing anything. I waited 30 minutes or so to see if it'd trigger; it didn't. I re-saved the geostring; it took somewhere between 5-10 minutes (I was in a building & not really moving by that point) and then the alert popped up.

    I didn't spend a lot of time trying different cases (will a Luna restart do the same thing? for example). For some reason my employer thinks that I should actually be working on my job, not experimenting with my Pre.
    So if I'm understanding your issue, installing something from Preware that restarts Java causes a GeoString not to fire? I have no idea what "restarting Java" or these particular Preware patches are doing to your system. I can't support non-standard tweaks that may be causing oddities on your system.

    However what I do know is that active GeoStrings will fire off after the phone is rebooted. I've verified this during my testing.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5. #405  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    So if I'm understanding your issue, installing something from Preware that restarts Java causes a GeoString not to fire? I have no idea what "restarting Java" or these particular Preware patches are doing to your system. I can't support non-standard tweaks that may be causing oddities on your system.

    However what I do know is that active GeoStrings will fire off after the phone is rebooted. I've verified this during my testing.
    I wouldn't expect you to support whatever oddities the patches do. I figured that by reproducing the problem without an install that would be helpful, but I stupidly didn't think about the existence of other patches.

    Just out of curiosity...what is it you have to do to make the strings persist across reboots? I can't find if the Java restart that Luna Manager does is something standard & supported by Palm or not (the Developer Center isn't being helpful tonight); if not it probably doesn't do something that a clean shutdown does. Which means I should be talking to the Luna Manager developers....
  6.    #406  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Just out of curiosity...what is it you have to do to make the strings persist across reboots?
    I use webOS alarms to periodically wake up my app and check for any GeoStrings that may be in alert. Alarms can be set up to be persistent after reboots.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  7. #407  
    From what I've read, Java Restart refreshes the phone so it can view updated files in the filesystem (I THINK). The most most apparent side affect is the phone's cellular connection disconnecting for a time. Jason Robatille should know more.

    When you reboot the phone, it restarts Luna, Java, and the entire phone.
  8.    #408  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    From what I've read, Java Restart refreshes the phone so it can view updated files in the filesystem (I THINK). The most most apparent side affect is the phone's cellular connection disconnecting for a time. Jason Robatille should know more.

    When you reboot the phone, it restarts Luna, Java, and the entire phone.
    The point is though that I don't know everything that's happening to the phone when these patches are being applied.

    If someonewhobikes can give me step-by-step instructions on how to re-create the issue without it involving the installation of patches, then I can investigate it.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  9.    #409  
    Just in case this person watches these forums, someone named "Cyrus M." posted a review indicating that alerts were not going off at the right time. In the last release (1.0.1) I added a FAQ to the app's help screen that describes this issue that some people have had (which is related to the webOS location service and not the GeoStrings app in particular). In this FAQ I provide a few troubleshooting tips that have helped others fix this issue.

    On a side note, I find the app catalog's review system quite limiting in that I can't respond to a reviewer's issues. Yes they should be going to the app's help screen or tapping on the app's support link in the app catalog when they have issues; however some people don't bother to do that. It would be really helpful for me to be able to write a note back to reviewers who have issues especially in this case when I know a possible solution to their issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10. #410  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The point is though that I don't know everything that's happening to the phone when these patches are being applied.

    If someonewhobikes can give me step-by-step instructions on how to re-create the issue without it involving the installation of patches, then I can investigate it.
    If you need me to try it without any patches installed it'll take me a few days to get time to get the phone to the point where I can do that. If you don't care about the existence of patches, then the steps I gave earlier -- substituting "use Luna Manager to restart Java" for "Apply something with PreWare" Just:
    1) set a geostring
    2) restart Java
    3) Move to location of the geostring & wait for notification
    4) After you're convinced it's not going to alert, start up GeoStrings & resave the geostring. Just look at it & backswipe; no need to change anything
    5) Alert should trigger in the next few minutes

    It's easy to understand that some of my patches or apps might be influencing GeoStrings' behavior, but one would hope that the persistent alarms would still always work. I have a couple of meetings today; I'll have time to go through my patches, remove anything that looks likely, and see if I can still repeat the behavior. I'll not even call it a "potential" bug any more.
  11.    #411  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    2) restart Java
    This is a step a user with a stock phone would not be able to do. That's what I was talking about. I can't troubleshoot an issue if this is one of the steps in re-creating the issue.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  12. kilroy's Avatar
    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    #412  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    If you need me to try it without any patches installed it'll take me a few days to get time to get the phone to the point where I can do that. If you don't care about the existence of patches, then the steps I gave earlier -- substituting "use Luna Manager to restart Java" for "Apply something with PreWare" Just:
    1) set a geostring
    2) restart Java
    3) Move to location of the geostring & wait for notification
    4) After you're convinced it's not going to alert, start up GeoStrings & resave the geostring. Just look at it & backswipe; no need to change anything
    5) Alert should trigger in the next few minutes

    I tried this myself. I have plenty of patches, etc. on my Pre. While sitting at home I setup a test geostring to remind me to take the trash out here at home, saved the geostring, and swiped the geostrings program away and put the Pre on the desk. A minute or two later I got an alert.

    Next I started up Luna Manager and hit the "Restart Java" button. A minute or two later I got an alert from geostrings again.

    I'll admit I didn't STRICTLY following 'someonewhobikes' instructions since I didn't set the geostring for some OTHER location and then go to that location but perhaps I should try that next. I wonder if 'someonewhobikes' has the problem in the scenario I just tried?

    Gerry
  13. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #413  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    So I'll set up a GeoString with "Home" as my location (which is saved as one of my favorite locations) and then set a start time for a little later in the evening. And then at that time, my phone ding-a-lings and I get reminded about the task I was procrastinating on earlier.
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know one can set a start time.

    I've paid and downloaded your program a few weeks back and love it!

    May I add a suggestion and work in an option with default colors. I understand you like different colors but I'm very traditional and would like default colors that match WebOS.

    Either way, good job!
  14.    #414  
    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    Thanks for the tip! I didn't know one can set a start time.
    Check out my instructional video series (linked in my signature). You may find other features in the app that you weren't aware of.

    Quote Originally Posted by stockh View Post
    May I add a suggestion and work in an option with default colors. I understand you like different colors but I'm very traditional and would like default colors that match WebOS.
    For the reasons I've mentioned before (giving GeoStrings a distinctive look that has a particular meaning), this is the aesthetic design I've decided upon. I'm open to considering all feature requests, but the way I've presented the app visually is the way I'd prefer to keep it.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/15/2010 at 08:12 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  15. #415  
    I think I encountered a bug earlier today. So I'll write things in a list:
    1. I make a GeoString for the market with .50 mile radius.
    2. My house is .7 miles from the market.
    3. Today I'm at a restaurant and GeoStrings alerts me. I dismiss it with back gesture
    4. It happens a couple more times and i dismiss it the same way.
    5. I'm on my way home and I get another notification. This time i snooze for 15 minutes.
    6. I get home and about 15 min GeoStrings notifies me.
    7. So i dismiss it knowing that I'm outside the market radius.
    8. A few minutes later it rings while I'm at home, .70 miles away from market, .20 OUTSIDE target radius.
    9. I dismiss with back gesture, it ringers a few minutes later, and then I disable it.

    I've rebooted, kept the GeoString disable, and just 10 minutes ago i re-enabled it. It hasn't notified me, so it might have been a one time thing. I'll post an update if the bug re-emerges
  16. apisto's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #416  
    Hi,

    I just purchased GeoStrings and although I am still learning the program, it seems useful and well done. I thought of a couple suggestions that could make it even more useful:

    1: As mentioned earlier in the thread I believe, please allow for adjustable font sizes, at least in the aleart. My eyes are not the best, and that tiny font in the pop up alerts is diffricult for me to read.

    2. If there is only one alert, don't have the pop up take half the screen. Only use the space needed.

    3. Have an option to send the alert to sprint nav via button press in the alert notification. Say there is this resturant in the next town over that I want to try next time I am in that town, so I set the radius to 10 miles. I don't know my way around that town, so sending it to nav would be convienent -- and safer.

    These are not complaints, just suggestions. Thanks for your efforts.

    -Andy
  17.    #417  
    Quote Originally Posted by apisto View Post
    1: As mentioned earlier in the thread I believe, please allow for adjustable font sizes, at least in the aleart. My eyes are not the best, and that tiny font in the pop up alerts is diffricult for me to read.
    I'm not sure how much bigger I can make the font considering how little space is available on the popup. I'll try to bump it up a little to see what it looks like.

    Quote Originally Posted by apisto View Post
    2. If there is only one alert, don't have the pop up take half the screen. Only use the space needed.
    This has been mentioned by a few others; however I'm doing this for a few reasons:

    - In the latest release I'm working on, I'm adding a "defer until you leave and re-enter the area" icon on there, so I need the space.

    - I wanted people to understand that the items being displayed on the alert popup were a list. So for a workable list, you need at least space for 3 entries. I didn't think dynamically changing the size of the popup would be the best visual cue that this is a scrollable list.

    - I need the extra space for the snooze options. Switching between a smaller and larger popup when they tap the alarm icon is not as visually pleasing in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by apisto View Post
    3. Have an option to send the alert to sprint nav via button press in the alert notification. Say there is this resturant in the next town over that I want to try next time I am in that town, so I set the radius to 10 miles. I don't know my way around that town, so sending it to nav would be convienent -- and safer.
    This was discussed early in this thread. I can't open up Sprint Nav because it's not a standard part of webOS. I'm only going to be able to use standard service calls which is why I'm using Google Maps when the user taps any of the map icons.

    If Palm ever adds a "open navigation" service, then I'll definitely have this as an option.

    Quote Originally Posted by apisto View Post
    These are not complaints, just suggestions. Thanks for your efforts.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  18.    #418  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I think I encountered a bug earlier today. So I'll write things in a list:
    1. I make a GeoString for the market with .50 mile radius.
    2. My house is .7 miles from the market.
    3. Today I'm at a restaurant and GeoStrings alerts me. I dismiss it with back gesture
    4. It happens a couple more times and i dismiss it the same way.
    5. I'm on my way home and I get another notification. This time i snooze for 15 minutes.
    6. I get home and about 15 min GeoStrings notifies me.
    7. So i dismiss it knowing that I'm outside the market radius.
    8. A few minutes later it rings while I'm at home, .70 miles away from market, .20 OUTSIDE target radius.
    9. I dismiss with back gesture, it ringers a few minutes later, and then I disable it.

    I've rebooted, kept the GeoString disable, and just 10 minutes ago i re-enabled it. It hasn't notified me, so it might have been a one time thing. I'll post an update if the bug re-emerges
    In step #8 in the list above, what was the exact text on the popup (i.e. what location was it alarming for and what was the indicated distance to target)?

    Can you PM me the exact locations for the GeoStrings mentioned in the example above (i.e. tell me the exact way you entered in the locations into the GeoStrings)? Also can you send me the places (addresses or intersection) you were at in each of the steps?
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  19.    #419  
    I just tried out the deferred alert feature for the first time and it's actually very handy. I had a GeoString set for the weekends to pick up a certain DVD at Best Buy (target radius set to 2 miles). Best Buy is less than 2 miles from my job, so all week I haven't been notified; however today I went into work to do something (which I normally don't do on a Saturday) and the Best Buy reminder came up. So I tapped on the defer icon and now while I'm at work it's not re-alerting me.

    Also I slightly increased the font size on the popup alert. It's still small obviously; however it's an improvement.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  20. apisto's Avatar
    Posts
    6 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    #420  
    Wow, that was quick!

    That is great about the defered notification thing! I was going to suggest something like that, but did not want to seem to demanding in my first post.

    Thanks for giving the larger font size a test.


    Your reasons for the big notification window are good ones that make sense.

    I have only had my Pre for a few weeks, and the sprint nav/google maps relationship on the pre confuse me. For example, I have set Sprint Nav to be the default target for adresses. (I forget where I set this. It was when I first got the phone and was exploring all the settings.) Now when choosing a theatre address, Fandango will send it to Sprint Nav, but Flixter still sends it to Google Maps.

    I apologize for not reading the whole thread before posting. I expect it is frustrating responding to the same question multiple times.

Posting Permissions