Page 20 of 40 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920212223242530 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 400 of 783
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #381  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    It might. I'm not sure how much the watermark contributes to the issue; if it gets less transparent too it may be an issue. Only one way to find out; if you want me to test a version I'd be glad to do that.

    Font changes (color, size) might help too. See the "Shopping Manager" app for a nice example of customization -- different items can be different colors and/or sizes.
    If you go to my HedamiSoft youtube channel and check out the videos labeled "PRE-RELEASE VERSION", you can see a video of how it looked like with completely opaque blue backgrounds.

    Let me know if this is easier to read than the current version with semi-transparent blue backgrounds.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  2. #382  
    For marketing purposes I think you are on the right path, you need to keep some map imagery going. I have tried out 2 other apps in this category that didn't use the map imagery... When you show the software to other folks, or when you see a quick little thumb nail, its easier to ID what Geostrings does with that map background.

    I hope the remove transparency option does the trick for you with vision problems.
  3. #383  
    So when does the updated version become available? Seems like you submitted it to them a while ago.
  4.    #384  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    So when does the updated version become available? Seems like you submitted it to them a while ago.
    I was wondering the same thing. I submitted it 5 days ago. From what I gather, they're placing priority on new apps vs. updated apps. And I guess they have a huge backlog of apps they're working on reviewing.

    In my opinion, they should have someone dedicated to reviewing updates so bug fixes can get into the catalog in a timely manner. While my release has a few bug fixes, all of them are low priority so I'm not too stressed out about it. But I'm still anxious to get it released since it has a few new features that people have requested.

    It is pretty frustrating though to have this type of slow update schedule. I'm used to releasing updates in homebrew and having them available right away. I don't like making people wait for something especially if I already have it ready to go. They really need to think about re-vamping their current update process.

    EDIT: I actually submitted the updated app 5 days ago, not 8. I had my days mixed up in my head. But still...5 days for a small update seems a bit excessive.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/12/2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  5.    #385  
    Version 1.0.1 has been posted in the app catalog. Here is the changelog:

    - On the 'business search' screen, add a map icon next to each search result which when tapped will open up Google Maps.

    - Change the alert popup notification sound so the alert is easier to hear and identify.

    - Add an interactive help system '?' icon to the alert popup which when tapped will display a description of the alert popup and the ways you can interact with it.

    - Add a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section on the app's help page.

    - Fix an issue where certain formatting of a contact's address would result in an error when attempting to add a contact as a location.

    - If no first, last, full, or nick names are available in a contact, check the company name field and use that if available. If no names are available, prompt the user to enter in a name for the location.

    - If an app is running in landscape mode, ensure an alert popup will be displayed in the center of the screen instead of to the left side.

    I'm going to start working on the next release which I think will have a few larger features.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  6. #386  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If you go to my youtube channel and check out the videos labeled "PRE-RELEASE VERSION", you can see a video of how it looked like with completely opaque blue backgrounds.

    Let me know if this is easier to read than the current version with semi-transparent blue backgrounds.
    That is better. Seeing this helped me figure out what most of the problem is -- the black lines & text on the map showing through. Unfortunately, the increased brightness of the watermark isn't helpful; it interferes more with the text. Right now it's not contributing very much to my inability to easily read the text.

    There's still not enough contrast between background & text to make reading it effortless for me, but I guess I'd say on a scale of 1 (good) to 10 (bad) the opaque background takes it from a 7 to 3.

    Possibly, keeping the current transparency & having a solid background color would be easier than going to opaque. The ability to totally customize the app -- font size & color, background, and transparency of the forground -- would be the only way to get it to a 1. And I'm guessing you have higher-priority function to be working on.
  7.    #387  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    That is better. Seeing this helped me figure out what most of the problem is -- the black lines & text on the map showing through. Unfortunately, the increased brightness of the watermark isn't helpful; it interferes more with the text. Right now it's not contributing very much to my inability to easily read the text.

    There's still not enough contrast between background & text to make reading it effortless for me, but I guess I'd say on a scale of 1 (good) to 10 (bad) the opaque background takes it from a 7 to 3.

    Possibly, keeping the current transparency & having a solid background color would be easier than going to opaque. The ability to totally customize the app -- font size & color, background, and transparency of the forground -- would be the only way to get it to a 1. And I'm guessing you have higher-priority function to be working on.
    I'll work on something for the next release to allow for some type of customization related to the backgrounds. However font size customization won't be feasible.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  8. #388  
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'll work on something for the next release to allow for some type of customization related to the backgrounds. However font size customization won't be feasible.
    Thanks. I appreciate you even listening. Have I mentioned that I love the app? :-) It's already saved me a couple of times; not bad for the first week.
  9.    #389  
    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Thanks. I appreciate you even listening.
    Thanks...I appreciate the feedback. You'll find that most of the features in my releases will originate from user suggestions. In the update released today, every feature & fix stemmed from user feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    Have I mentioned that I love the app? :-)
    If you have, I don't mind hearing it again.

    Quote Originally Posted by someonewhobikes View Post
    It's already saved me a couple of times; not bad for the first week.
    I created this app for all the people who would forget all the little things that they needed to do.

    My original vision of the usefulness of this app has actually evolved. I find now that I use it for many other things I never originally imagined using it for. For instance, I now use it for quick time-based reminders at home for the times when I need to do something but don't feel like doing it right that second.

    So I'll set up a GeoString with "Home" as my location (which is saved as one of my favorite locations) and then set a start time for a little later in the evening. And then at that time, my phone ding-a-lings and I get reminded about the task I was procrastinating on earlier.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  10. #390  
    First of all, I'm loving the program. I do have two suggestions, the first of which I think is a really good idea (and the second is a bit crazy).

    I find that the current snooze options really don't fit the way I want to use the program. Honestly, I can't see myself ever wanting to have the reminder repeat when I'm not in the same place. The option I want most is to be have a Geostring not alert until I leave the location and then reenter it later. That could be used either for tasks that I know I'm not going to do this time (but still want on the radar for next time), and for recurring tasks (did it, but let me know again next time). I can also see a use for a delay that would inform me again after a fixed amount of time, but again, only if I haven't already left.

    So, that's the sensible request. The crazy one is that I'd like an advanced option on a Geostring to, instead of issuing a notification, run an application. Actually, what I'd really like is to specify the application id and parameters. Then I could set up geostrings to do things like "Open up the calendar (com.palm.app.calendar) as soon as I get to work in the morning" and such (and by passing pararmeters to my own custom program, do just about anything else, like changing settings). I understand that it's an advanced user feature, and that there really isn't a good way to provide an interface for it (though two text boxes, maybe in a collapsed by default drawer, would do it), but it would make the program more useful by a huge amount.

    Anyway, I really am loving the program. Thanks for writing it, and for listening to all the feedback.
  11.    #391  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    I find that the current snooze options really don't fit the way I want to use the program. Honestly, I can't see myself ever wanting to have the reminder repeat when I'm not in the same place. The option I want most is to be have a Geostring not alert until I leave the location and then reenter it later. That could be used either for tasks that I know I'm not going to do this time (but still want on the radar for next time), and for recurring tasks (did it, but let me know again next time). I can also see a use for a delay that would inform me again after a fixed amount of time, but again, only if I haven't already left.
    I have it on my list to add an option for snoozing to only re-alarm if you haven't left the area.

    Adding the "snooze until you leave and re-enter the area" is a good idea too. I'll add it to the list.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    So, that's the sensible request. The crazy one is that I'd like an advanced option on a Geostring to, instead of issuing a notification, run an application. Actually, what I'd really like is to specify the application id and parameters. Then I could set up geostrings to do things like "Open up the calendar (com.palm.app.calendar) as soon as I get to work in the morning" and such (and by passing pararmeters to my own custom program, do just about anything else, like changing settings). I understand that it's an advanced user feature, and that there really isn't a good way to provide an interface for it (though two text boxes, maybe in a collapsed by default drawer, would do it), but it would make the program more useful by a huge amount.
    I think it's a neat concept; however the implementation would be ugly considering apps do not currently have a way to list the apps currently installed on the phone (at least via the documented SDK). Ideally you would display a list of apps that they could choose which one to run when they reached the target location. Making the person type in an app id just wouldn't be too user-friendly. I don't think most people would use (or even know how to use) this feature.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    Anyway, I really am loving the program. Thanks for writing it, and for listening to all the feedback.
    You're welcome. Thanks for the ideas.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  12. #392  
    1. Love the app, downloaded it today.
    2. I'm sorta in the middle as far as the map/solid color background things goes. I like your reasoning behind using the map, but maybe you could make it slightly faded? it would retain the look you like but not be so "obvious" showing through the blue areas of the screen. This would make the text stand out more. Or, you could boost the opacity of the blue box, but just make the watermark ever so slightly more transparent to compensate (so it doesn't swamp out the text). Hopefully I'm making sense. just my $0.02, i'm not going to stop using the app because of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eimi View Post
    First of all, I'm loving the program. I do have two suggestions, the first of which I think is a really good idea (and the second is a bit crazy).

    I find that the current snooze options really don't fit the way I want to use the program. Honestly, I can't see myself ever wanting to have the reminder repeat when I'm not in the same place. The option I want most is to be have a Geostring not alert until I leave the location and then reenter it later. That could be used either for tasks that I know I'm not going to do this time (but still want on the radar for next time), and for recurring tasks (did it, but let me know again next time). I can also see a use for a delay that would inform me again after a fixed amount of time, but again, only if I haven't already left.
    For now, i think you could just set the start date and/or time for after you know you will have left the location? Of course, this would only work if you knew what time you were leaving. I do think the "snooze till the next time I re-enter the location" bit is useful.
    Last edited by zuniboy; 01/13/2010 at 04:02 PM.
  13.    #393  
    I think having the opacity of the blue backgrounds customizable will help people who are distracted by the map wallpaper seeping through. But in general I'm going to be focusing more on adding new features vs. aesthetic tweaks.
  14. #394  
    New and improved features stand out more than different colored backgrounds
  15.    #395  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    New and improved features stand out more than different colored backgrounds
    Agreed! And I have a nice list of features I want to work on.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami
  16. #396  
    Thanks Dan, so far the only app that I've purchased(if you don't count donations) Now if only I could buy music player (remix)...oh wait.

    It's stuff like this that really tickles my OMG TECHNOLOGY button. I was trying to explain to my parents earlier what this app does and they were just dumbfounded that it was even possible. They want to get a Pre now
  17.    #397  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom View Post
    Thanks Dan, so far the only app that I've purchased(if you don't count donations) Now if only I could buy music player (remix)...oh wait.

    It's stuff like this that really tickles my OMG TECHNOLOGY button. I was trying to explain to my parents earlier what this app does and they were just dumbfounded that it was even possible. They want to get a Pre now
    That's really cool! If you think about the capabilities of a phone like the Pre or Pixi, you realize how powerful a tool it really can be. GeoStrings is just one of the many examples of that.
  18. #398  
    Dan, thanks so much for developing and supporting your apps on the P|C forums. I really can't say enough good things about them. In fact, when I "demo" the phone to friends, your apps are always in the cycle; they demonstrate so much of what's great in WebOS; Thank you.

    I couldn't agree more with the "snooze until I reenter" option request. That effectively serves as a "defer," which I'm sure TONS of people would find useful.
    Handspring Visorphone -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Treo Pro -> Pre -> NS4G -> FrankenPre 2
  19. #399  
    ditto the snooze request.
    I just want a quick and obvious way to tell a Geostring "don't bug me again until the next time I am here."

    I know I can keep hitting snooze, then swipe when I am out of the area, but that is just so... awkward?
  20.    #400  
    The "defer" option (snoozing until you re-enter the target area) will be added in the next release.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

    Twitter: @Hedami

Posting Permissions