Page 18 of 40 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021222328 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post
    I want to know how stuff you buy works when you get a new phone or do hacks/patches to your phone when you buy something from the app store - I have never bought anything yet because usually I can find it for free nut thi sis so good I will pay for it, but not more then 1 time if there is DRM issues

anyone know how this app store works
    Your app catalog purchases are tied to your Palm profile account. So if you have to re-image your phone or get a replacement phone, you just sign back into your original Palm profile account and then re-download the app (without having to pay again).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Interesting. Subscribing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    That's exactly how I was hoping it would work. Ignore the grocery store as I drive by and alert on the house as I walk in. I got the exact opposite, though. We'll see how it goes with location services off tonight.

Once I actually go to the grocery store, I figure I'll try setting the location by GPS in the back of the store.
    In regards to the funky 2 hour delay, the location services really is erratic. I finally got around to loading up my geotagged photos into google earth and wow...did it suck. Pics I took at my house were showing in the middle of the woods 2 miles away, in the middle of a highway 4 miles away and those were the closer ones. I turned off location services to see if it gets better.

The one thing I am not sure of though is what happens when you don't have a GPS signal. I am guessing that the phone reports the location that it was last asked about. So in that case, geostrings could actually help improve location awareness using GPS. Just a thought.
  4.    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    The one thing I am not sure of though is what happens when you don't have a GPS signal. I am guessing that the phone reports the location that it was last asked about. So in that case, geostrings could actually help improve location awareness using GPS. Just a thought.
    It's not really documented what the webOS location service does when it can't obtain a GPS fix. However I do know that it has a timeout period, so it'll try to obtain a fix for that period. And I assume if it can't obtain a real GPS fix, it'll use other data depending upon the requested accuracy the app specified in the service request call.

Also it returns a failure callback on errors so I assume if it can't determine an accurate enough position in the given time, it'll return the failure callback. My code when it receives this callback will attempt another location request. If that fails I let the app, which was running in the background, die. Then the next time my app runs (which is based upon a dynamic periodic rate), it'll try again.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Dan,

After using GeoStrings for a week now, here are 3 improvements I think GeoStrings needs.

User Interface
    I love that you went ahead and did something different with GeoStrings as far as the UI goes. However, I don't think having the static map image in the background is a good idea. It kind of clutters the UI a bit, and the non default selections, textboxes, etc make it somewhat un-intuitive to use for the first time. Of course, I don't want the standard gray look like most other webOS apps, but I think the UI could use a bit of cleaning up.

Delayed notifications
    The snooze feature is great, but I think a GeoString should have the ability to be delayed x amount of minutes when you do arrive at a location. For example, when i first arrive at a place, I won't be able to do the thing I needed to do since I am still outside. I could snooze it, but the max snooze time is 30 minutes and is a lot of extra steps. It would be nice to be able to have the GeoString delayed by 1 hour after I arrive at a location to notify me.

Repeat alerts.
    I often miss the alert of a GeoString either because my phone wasn't in my pocket, or I simply didn't feel/hear the alert. It would be nice to have a setting that allowed the alert to repeat every x minutes for x amount of times.

Overall, I really enjoy GeoStrings. I think with 3 improvements, it would greatly enhance an already awesome app.

Thanks Dan,
    Kev
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  6.    #346  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    User Interface
    I love that you went ahead and did something different with GeoStrings as far as the UI goes. However, I don't think having the static map image in the background is a good idea. It kind of clutters the UI a bit, and the non default selections, textboxes, etc make it somewhat un-intuitive to use for the first time. Of course, I don't want the standard gray look like most other webOS apps, but I think the UI could use a bit of cleaning up.
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I spent a lot of time refining the look of the UI and this is what I settled on. I wanted it to look different than other apps. I intentionally made the blue groups slightly semi-transparent so you could see the map through them giving an illusion of blue-colored glass. These are the aesthetic choices I made.

Also in my particular case, the design has a special meaning. It represents the "Geo" portion of the app and the blue backgrounds in the groups with the "string on the finger" image represent the "Strings". The map wallpaper was the last thing I added to the app (aesthetically) and it was the cherry on the cake for me.

As far as the other UI elements (like textboxes)...I wanted to do something different. All the text boxes have curved edges and everything is a bit different than the standard UIs you see in most apps. This was intentional.

Delayed notifications
    The snooze feature is great, but I think a GeoString should have the ability to be delayed x amount of minutes when you do arrive at a location. For example, when i first arrive at a place, I won't be able to do the thing I needed to do since I am still outside. I could snooze it, but the max snooze time is 30 minutes and is a lot of extra steps. It would be nice to be able to have the GeoString delayed by 1 hour after I arrive at a location to notify me.
    This is what the snooze function is for. I understand you want a pre-defined snooze function, but I think in most cases a person decides whether to snooze an alarm in real-time when they get the alarm vs. when they define the parameters of the alarm. So I'm not sure about the usefulness of this change.

Repeat alerts.
    I often miss the alert of a GeoString either because my phone wasn't in my pocket, or I simply didn't feel/hear the alert. It would be nice to have a setting that allowed the alert to repeat every x minutes for x amount of times.
    I have it on my list to allow the notification sound to be configured so the user can choose more prominent notifications. So I think that eliminates the need for a repeating alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion, but I spent a lot of time refining the look of the UI and this is what I settled on. I wanted it to look different than other apps. I intentionally made the blue groups slightly semi-transparent so you could see the map through them giving an illusion of blue-colored glass. These are the aesthetic choices I made.
    Like I said, I am all for changing the default look of the app from the generic widget look. I just think the UI is a little muddy with transparent on top of the clutter of the map with all of the symobls, lines, and words.

As far as the other UI elements (like textboxes)...I wanted to do something different. All the text boxes have curved edges and everything is a bit different than the standard UIs you see in most apps. This was intentional.
    The one nice thing about leaving textboxes the same as the default style is that they are easy to identify as text boxes. The all-gray boxes you have right now don't really signify themselves as texboxes. It's not a huge issue, but as a developer/designer myself, it bugs me.

This is what the snooze function is for. I understand you want a pre-defined snooze function, but I think in most cases a person decides whether to snooze an alarm in real-time when they get the alarm vs. when they define the parameters of the alarm. So I'm not sure about the usefulness of this change.
    The problem with the snooze though is, you are usually not quite at your location when the GeoString goes off. So as you're pulling up to the location, you get the GeoString, and almost always have to snooze it for it to remind you at the correct time. I think the snooze feature is awesome, but I think it should complement a delay feature, as delaying seems to have a more desired affect, which is to have the GeoString alert you when you actually have the ability to accomplish the task.

I have it on my list to allow the notification sound to be configured so the user can choose more prominent notifications. So I think that eliminates the need for a repeating alarm.
    What about us users who leave their phone on silent all of the time? The simple quick buzz is almost never felt the first time. I pull my phone out to see a GeoString listed all of the time. And sometimes, I am not at that location anymore, so I completely missed what I needed to do, which defeats the purpose of GeoStrings...
    Developer of:

8.    #348  
    Like I said, I am all for changing the default look of the app from the generic widget look. I just think the UI is a little muddy with transparent on top of the clutter of the map with all of the symobls, lines, and words.
    I made it look that way on purpose. I wanted the symbols/lines/words to seep through. No matter what visual style I choose, not everyone is going to like it. I could have played it safe and chosen a solid color or gradient, but I wanted to do something different.

The one nice thing about leaving textboxes the same as the default style is that they are easy to identify as text boxes. The all-gray boxes you have right now don't really signify themselves as texboxes. It's not a huge issue, but as a developer/designer myself, it bugs me.
    I disagree...I don't think textboxes all have to look the same exact way. I've seen similar textboxes on various websites. They're just a bit more stylish than regular ones. Again, it's a personal preference.

The problem with the snooze though is, you are usually not quite at your location when the GeoString goes off. So as you're pulling up to the location, you get the GeoString, and almost always have to snooze it for it to remind you at the correct time. I think the snooze feature is awesome, but I think it should complement a delay feature, as delaying seems to have a more desired affect, which is to have the GeoString alert you when you actually have the ability to accomplish the task.
    I feel bad that I keep disagreeing with you...but again I disagree! To me it's natural for there to be a snooze option when you receive an alarm, not when you set the alarm parameters.

What about us users who leave their phone on silent all of the time? The simple quick buzz is almost never felt the first time. I pull my phone out to see a GeoString listed all of the time. And sometimes, I am not at that location anymore, so I completely missed what I needed to do, which defeats the purpose of GeoStrings...
    In the original beta version, I re-issued the alert every minute even if the popup was on the screen. However one of the beta testers pointed out that this would be annoying and I agreed, so now I only re-issue the alert if the popup has been dismissed.

While I don't seem to have too much issue with feeling the vibrations, I understand that some people may. So maybe I'll add an option on the preferences screen to indicate whether popups should be re-issued every minute even if they haven't been dismissed.

I made it look that way on purpose. I wanted the symbols/lines/words to seep through. No matter what visual style I choose, not everyone is going to like it. I could have played it safe and chosen a solid color or gradient, but I wanted to do something different.
    This is definitely a subjective opinion, and if you like it the way you have it, I'll leave it alone.

I disagree...I don't think textboxes all have to look the same exact way. I've seen similar textboxes on various websites. They're just a bit more stylish than regular ones. Again, it's a personal preference.
    Well, for example, if you make the textbox lose focus, the gray background goes away and makes it look like a label. When that happens, it's very hard to tell it is a textbox.

I feel bad that I keep disagreeing with you...but again I disagree! To me it's natural for there to be a snooze option when you receive an alarm, not when you set the alarm parameters.
    Haha, don't feel bad that you disagree. It happens. However, I think both functionalities complement themselves well. For example, if I was headed to out to eat and I had a GeoString to remind me to use a gift card at the restaurant, I could set the GS to go off 30 minutes after we got there. IF we did not have our bill at the time, I could then snooze the GS for 10-30min depending on where we were at in our dinner. I don't think the delay replaces the snooze, I think it compliments its.

In the original beta version, I re-issued the alert every minute even if the popup was on the screen. However one of the beta testers pointed out that this would be annoying and I agreed, so now I only re-issue the alert if the popup has been dismissed.

While I don't seem to have too much issue with feeling the vibrations, I understand that some people may. So maybe I'll add an option on the preferences screen to indicate whether popups should be re-issued every minute even if they haven't been dismissed.
    I definitely would like this feature, and I am sure others would as well. What I would like to be able to do is set the the frequency of the alert and how many times it should re-alert. For example, I would love for it to alert me every 5 minutes, and try 3 times.
    Developer of:

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I could kinda go for a delay. I think there are two different philosophies for using the app. The one you designed for, which is, "hey, the next time you happen to be around a Best Buy, do X". The other camp wants something like a calendar appointment except that we can't predict the time it will occur. If I knew I'd be getting home at 7:23, I'd set an appointment reminder about taking out the trash. If such apps existed, I could just as well use a trigger based on the Touchstone or detection of my wifi network or the bluetooth disconnecting from my car instead.

For now, location is the best trigger I have, but I may only want that to set the fuse. The reminder about the trash going off while I'm still in the car with the radio blasting, getting my mail, or unloading groceries isn't as optimal as it otherwise could be for us appointment people.
  11.    #351  
    Well, for example, if you make the textbox lose focus, the gray background goes away and makes it look like a label. When that happens, it's very hard to tell it is a textbox.
    Again, I did this on purpose. I played around with different visual styles and I went with this one. I think most people will understand that they can change the city and state fields on the Business Search and Address Input screens. Also if the user presses enter after typing in a field (which I think most people do), it automatically goes to the next field.

Also both the interactive help system and instructional videos demonstrate that these are clickable fields.

Haha, don't feel bad that you disagree. It happens. However, I think both functionalities complement themselves well. For example, if I was headed to out to eat and I had a GeoString to remind me to use a gift card at the restaurant, I could set the GS to go off 30 minutes after we got there. IF we did not have our bill at the time, I could then snooze the GS for 10-30min depending on where we were at in our dinner. I don't think the delay replaces the snooze, I think it compliments its.
    That's a pretty good example; however I really can't think of too many examples to prove the usefulness of this feature. I have too many other features I'd like to implement that I really think will be more widely used.

I definitely would like this feature, and I am sure others would as well. What I would like to be able to do is set the the frequency of the alert and how many times it should re-alert. For example, I would love for it to alert me every 5 minutes, and try 3 times.
    The frequency of the re-issues will dependent upon the dynamic polling rate which is calculated based upon a number of factors in order to conserve battery usage. So basically it'll be re-issued the next time it polls assuming the person is still within the target area. The whole point of the re-issue is to make sure the person hears/feels the alert, so it should be re-issued the first chance it gets (i.e. during the next poll iteration). This will be somewhere between 1 and 5 minutes depending upon different factors.

12.    #352  
    I could kinda go for a delay. I think there are two different philosophies for using the app. The one you designed for, which is, "hey, the next time you happen to be around a Best Buy, do X". The other camp wants something like a calendar appointment except that we can't predict the time it will occur.
    Actually I created the app with both scenarios in mind, not just the first one.

For now, location is the best trigger I have, but I may only want that to set the fuse. The reminder about the trash going off while I'm still in the car with the radio blasting, getting my mail, or unloading groceries isn't as optimal as it otherwise could be for us appointment people.
    I definitely understand your points about a delay; however in my opinion this is not a high priority item considering the snooze option is available and is easy to use. I use it myself all the time.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    That's exactly how I was hoping it would work. Ignore the grocery store as I drive by and alert on the house as I walk in. I got the exact opposite, though. We'll see how it goes with location services off tonight.

Once I actually go to the grocery store, I figure I'll try setting the location by GPS in the back of the store.
    *******s. Palm/Google, I mean. No alert when I got home tonight. Fired up Google Maps and Foursquare and they worked great. Set a new GPS location in Geostrings just fine and then discovered that icon to display it in Google Maps. Opened the home location I originally created while location services were on, and it had me across the street. I even made a point of creating that outside to ensure a great signal. I can't believe that they return the quick and dirty location when true GPS is perfectly available a second later.
  14.    #354  
    *******s. Palm/Google, I mean. No alert when I got home tonight. Fired up Google Maps and Foursquare and they worked great. Set a new GPS location in Geostrings just fine and then discovered that icon to display it in Google Maps. Opened the home location I originally created while location services were on, and it had me across the street. I even made a point of creating that outside to ensure a great signal. I can't believe that they return the quick and dirty location when true GPS is perfectly available a second later.
    If it showed you across the street when you opened it up in Google Maps (by tapping the map icon), then yeah that's the position it saved you at when you saved the location. I think we have enough evidence to suggest that location services being on sometimes messes with the positional accuracy. I do think it's an issue in webOS. If GPS data is available, it should not resort to the Google Location Services data which is far less accurate.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
    I like the UI look and feel as is, I wasn't confused.
    I would not use the delayed alarm idea.

But I would like a repeating alarm option.
    It would be nice to pick if it repeats, and how many times.
    Also, being able to pick out a custom "ringtone" would be useful. Its nice to know what kind of alert your phone is giving you before you fish it out of the pocket... text, phone, email, or (hopefully) geo-alarm.
  16.    #356  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
    I like the UI look and feel as is, I wasn't confused.
    I would not use the delayed alarm idea.

But I would like a repeating alarm option.
    It would be nice to pick if it repeats, and how many times.
    Also, being able to pick out a custom "ringtone" would be useful. Its nice to know what kind of alert your phone is giving you before you fish it out of the pocket... text, phone, email, or (hopefully) geo-alarm.
    In the next release I'm going to have a new default notification sound which should be louder than the current one, as well as unique to GeoStrings. I may also include in this release the ability to customize your own sound; however it may be pushed back to a future release.

Dan:

Great application. I purchased it the moment I saw it in the app store. The only thing I would like to see changed now is dismissal and formatting of alerts. I believe that you should follow Palm's conventions on the alerts especially when it comes to dismissing an alert. I typically just left swipe on the alert. With GeoStrings I have to make sure I left swipe on the top of the alert. User's should be able to swipe on any part of the alert to dismiss it. If I am driving my aim isn't so good. Also I like the cyan background in the app but you should stick with the standard buttons and backgrounds in the alerts.

These are just my comments on an excellent application.
  18.    #358  
    Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Great application. I purchased it the moment I saw it in the app store. The only thing I would like to see changed now is dismissal and formatting of alerts. I believe that you should follow Palm's conventions on the alerts especially when it comes to dismissing an alert. I typically just left swipe on the alert. With GeoStrings I have to make sure I left swipe on the top of the alert. User's should be able to swipe on any part of the alert to dismiss it. If I am driving my aim isn't so good.
    The reason why you have to swipe the top of the popup is because the popup is displaying a list of "in alert" GeoStrings. There may be situations where you have more than 1 task within a particular radius of your current location. So GeoStrings handles this situation by displaying a list of all "in alert" tasks.

Just like any other list in a webOS app, you swipe an item in the list off the screen to remove it from the list. This is the way the alert popups work.

In the next version of the app that I'm working on right now I'm adding a "?" to the top-right corner of the alert popup (similar to the ones found in the app). This will display a help message informing the users of the different ways you can interact with the popup. Hopefully this will help in the understanding of how the popup is laid out.

Quote Originally Posted by milliman View Post
    Also I like the cyan background in the app but you should stick with the standard buttons and backgrounds in the alerts.

These are just my comments on an excellent application.
    Just as I mentioned to Kev1000000, I wanted every part of GeoStrings, including the popup alerts, to have a distinctive look. That's why I designed the popup to look the same way as the app itself (with the blue background and the map border).

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Dan

I was wondering how soon after you create a new alert it becomes truely active.

For example: If Im in my office and create an alert with my office location, how long before I should get an alert. Is there a delay before it starts tracking, or will it not become active until I move.

I have been having a few issues with getting alerts and Im trying to run some tests. I have chagned the location services to GPS only which has helped a ton. Using Google location does not work for me very well.
  20.    #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
    For example: If Im in my office and create an alert with my office location, how long before I should get an alert. Is there a delay before it starts tracking, or will it not become active until I move.
    I'd say about 5 minutes. You're correct the delay is because the app knows you are not moving, so the poll rate is decreased.