Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920212227 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Can you implement a way to view all your GeoStrings and their target radius in blue on a map?
  2.    #322  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Can you implement a way to view all your GeoStrings and their target radius in blue on a map?
    I wanted to do this originally but had issues with the Google Maps API (very slow app loading times and unreliable connections to the Google API). I could add a static map via the Google Static Map HTTP request; however I think users would expect to be able to manipulate the map (pan, zoom, etc.) so I wouldn't want to disappoint them.

At some point I'll revisit this to see if the Google Maps API interaction has improved.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I wanted to do this originally but had issues with the Google Maps API (very slow app loading times and unreliable connections to the Google API). I could add a static map via the Google Static Map HTTP request; however I think users would expect to be able to manipulate the map (pan, zoom, etc.) so I wouldn't want to disappoint them.

At some point I'll revisit this to see if the Google Maps API interaction has improved.
    Maybe for now you can use the static map and point out that it is not manipulatable?
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    Maybe for now you can use the static map and point out that it is not manipulatable?
    If someone brings up a map on the device they're going to expect to be able to pan and zoom it. I just don't think there's a point in displaying a static map. And I know I'll receive feedback from users that the map should be able to be manipulated.

So no, I won't implement the mapping of GeoStrings unless I can do it right.

I'm hoping that the mobile Google maps site will eventually support multiple markers so I can just launch the Google Map app (which uses the mobile Google maps site). Multiple markers are already supported on the regular (non-mobile) Google maps site so I think it's just a matter of time before Google implements it on the mobile site.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan,

can you add an option to manually enter the LAT/LONG for a geostring location? I take care of some communication equipment that is located at various remote mountain-top locations and there is no associated address, but I do have the LAT/LONG. While I'm sitting here at home, I'd like to create some reminders but there is no address for these locations. This might also be useful for geocachers who need to enter a reminder for the next time they visit a geocache. Also, it could be fun to enter geocaches into geostrings and let geostrings tell me there is a geocache nearby.

Thanks!

Gerry
  6.    #326  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Dan,

can you add an option to manually enter the LAT/LONG for a geostring location? I take care of some communication equipment that is located at various remote mountain-top locations and there is no associated address, but I do have the LAT/LONG. While I'm sitting here at home, I'd like to create some reminders but there is no address for these locations. This might also be useful for geocachers who need to enter a reminder for the next time they visit a geocache. Also, it could be fun to enter geocaches into geostrings and let geostrings tell me there is a geocache nearby.

Thanks!

Gerry
    There's really no room on the screen to add another icon for adding a location.

However I'm planning on adding an import/export function to allow users to backup and restore their GeoStrings and locations. So you could use this to add in new locations at your computer if you knew the lat/long coordinates.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Hi Dan. Happy new year.

Is there a location barrier in the app catalog???
    I live in Canada and was longing for this app to come out. knowing that its out now but i can not find it!! This really suck!!

I did search, went productivity-reminder but nowhere...
  8.    #328  
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshivan View Post
    Hi Dan. Happy new year.

Is there a location barrier in the app catalog???
    I live in Canada and was longing for this app to come out. knowing that its out now but i can not find it!! This really suck!!

I did search, went productivity-reminder but nowhere...
    Paid apps are not available outside of the U.S. yet. Hopefully this will change soon. Once it does, the app will be made available for other countries including Canada.

EDIT: I just found this article (http://www.precentral.net/paid-app-c...g-europe-march) on the main page indicating paid apps are coming to Europe in March. I would imagine the rest of North America (Canada and Mexico) couldn't be far behind.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/04/2010 at 05:32 AM.

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Wouldn't it be possible to have a preware-version with donation-button like quickcontacts-programmer did?
    His app works for 14 days and stops working, if you don't donate 5$ over paypal. I did (I live in germany and otherwise had to wait til march to get this nice app) and it works.
  10.    #330  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    Wouldn't it be possible to have a preware-version with donation-button like quickcontacts-programmer did?
    His app works for 14 days and stops working, if you don't donate 5$ over paypal. I did (I live in germany and otherwise had to wait til march to get this nice app) and it works.
    The Palm SDK Licesnse Agreement is quite clear that it's not allowed to distribute apps outside of the Palm catalog. The folks at Palm have unofficially indicated they're ok with beta testing distribution (ex. Precentral Homebrew); however, I'm pretty sure distributing apps and requiring payment would not be acceptable.

I understand your frustration...I feel it too. I have an app I'd like all webOS users to have access to and I can only distribute it in the U.S. That leaves out a lot of potential customers.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    First day with real geostrings and things didn't really go according to plan. Had one for the grocery store and one for home, both set to 0.1 mile. The grocery store triggered as I drove past. Not what I wanted but understandable. The notification for it was still sitting on my screen when I got home. I opened and saved it rather than snoozing or dismissing it. The geostring for home only now went off, two hours after I arrived. It's be sitting on or within two feet of its Touchstone (and the GPS definition of home) the whole time.
  12.    #332  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    First day with real geostrings and things didn't really go according to plan. Had one for the grocery store and one for home, both set to 0.1 mile. The grocery store triggered as I drove past. Not what I wanted but understandable. The notification for it was still sitting on my screen when I got home. I opened and saved it rather than snoozing or dismissing it. The geostring for home only now went off, two hours after I arrived. It's be sitting on or within two feet of its Touchstone (and the GPS definition of home) the whole time.
    The grocery store alert went off because it detected you within that distance from the location. If you're driving by a location, odds are a 0.1 radius would not trigger an alert, but it still could if the timing was just right.

If the device did not detect you were home for 2 hours then you should open up "Location Services" and under the Preferences menu check if "Use Google Services" is checked. If so, uncheck it and make sure "GPS" is checked. This has helped the people that have reported similar erratic positional readings (which by the way comes from the webOS location service).

If you experience a similar issue after making this change, try opening up the Google Maps app and see if it's reporting the correct position. One time my phone was reporting me miles away from my current position (in Google Maps) and I rebooted it and afterwards it was ok.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I use an Airrave at work, so unfortunately, I am quite familiar with the quirks of GPS/location services. Home has always been rock solid for me with location services on or off, and has basically become my baseline. I'll play with disabling that and/or the grocery store, though, and let you know.
  14.    #334  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    I use an Airrave at work, so unfortunately, I am quite familiar with the quirks of GPS/location services. Home has always been rock solid for me with location services on or off, and has basically become my baseline. I'll play with disabling that and/or the grocery store, though, and let you know.
    In my next release which I'll be preparing this week I'm going to add a "Troubleshooting Tips" section on the help page and this will definitely be on the list (disabling Location Services).

I think most of the time having it enabled is ok and produces accurate results; however sometimes it does not. When I replaced my Pre (due to a faulty headphone jack), I left the Sprint repair center and started checking out all of the features of the phone to make sure the new one worked. I noticed Google Maps was reporting me pretty far from where I was located. I turned off Location Services and immediately it reported me at my exact location. Since then I've turned it back on and haven't had an issue, so I think it is sporadic.

Now that I think about it, it could be that simply toggling the value is what fixes the issue. But either way, turning it off (when it's already on) seems to fix it.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 01/04/2010 at 09:12 PM.

I have had good success with the .1 mile value.
    I use it for home all the time, I pull into my driveway and as I am waiting for the garage door to open... DING! goes my geo-alarm. and it also works good for stores that you go to all the time where you walk in the parking lot.
    BUT as Dan keeps reminding, .1 is no good for a drive by reminder. You have to pick bigger radius for timely driving reminders.
    If you want your reminder to get you in time on the freeway for example... pick an even bigger radius. Just experiment... there isn't any substitute for playing around with it.
    I use it for home all the time, I pull into my driveway and as I am waiting for the garage door to open... DING! goes my geo-alarm. and it also works good for stores that you go to all the time where you walk in the parking lot.
    BUT as Dan keeps reminding, .1 is no good for a drive by reminder. You have to pick bigger radius for timely driving reminders.
    If you want your reminder to get you in time on the freeway for example... pick an even bigger radius. Just experiment... there isn't any substitute for playing around with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    I just wanted to echo this. .1 works great if you are walking or parking at a location. But drive by pretty much needs .5 or more.
  18.    #338  
    Mobilemitch and nyquistJack hit the nail right on the head. In my video I actually recommended that people use 1 mile or more for "drive-by" situations; however I have found that 0.5 miles does work in most cases (for driving at normal traffic speeds...0.5 wouldn't work well for highway speeds).

But as Mobilemitch said, playing around with all the settings is the key. I added all these customizations because I knew people would be using GeoStrings in many different ways.

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    That's exactly how I was hoping it would work. Ignore the grocery store as I drive by and alert on the house as I walk in. I got the exact opposite, though. We'll see how it goes with location services off tonight.

Once I actually go to the grocery store, I figure I'll try setting the location by GPS in the back of the store.
    I want to know how stuff you buy works when you get a new phone or do hacks/patches to your phone when you buy something from the app store - I have never bought anything yet because usually I can find it for free nut thi sis so good I will pay for it, but not more then 1 time if there is DRM issues

anyone know how this app store works