Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    437 Global Posts
    Can we make a monthly geostring?
  2.    #302  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Hey DANPLC,

I like Geostrings but I think that it would be super useful if you could creat a 7 day trial for this app to see how useful it would be. I would like to use it and purchase it but I would first like to see how useful it would be for me first. If you could do that, that would be great!
    I created the GeoStrings Guide video series ("HedamiSoft" youtube channel) to help demonstrate the app to new (and potential) users. This is the route I'm choosing to follow (vs. a timed demo).
  3.    #303  
    Quote Originally Posted by ray1b View Post
    Can we make a monthly geostring?
    No recurring tasks are not possible at this time.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I created the GeoStrings Guide video series ("HedamiSoft" youtube channel) to help demonstrate the app to new (and potential) users. This is the route I'm choosing to follow (vs. a timed demo).
    I know about that and I understand that its your work here but I just figured actually using the app on a demo would help people (me) get a feel of how this app would work in real life situations. But its only 2.99 and still a great concept on the app!
  5.    #305  
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    I know about that and I understand that its your work here but I just figured actually using the app on a demo would help people (me) get a feel of how this app would work in real life situations. But its only 2.99 and still a great concept on the app!
    I definitely understand that, but I figured the videos gave a complete view of how the app works and I think the app is very fairly priced given it's functionality. Also you can always view the app's reviews to see what other people think. So for now that's my decision.
  6.    #306  
    I'm responding here to a review of the app posted in the app catalog just in case the reviewer reads these forums. "Carlos M." indicated in his review that notification popups cannot be dismissed unless you snooze the alarm. This is not true. You can dismiss notification popups by either swiping in the gesture area which will keep the GeoStrings active. You can also swipe off the screen each individual row (GeoString task) on the alert popup to deactivate the GeoStrings. Once all GeoString rows are swiped off the screen, the popup will disappear. For more details, you can view my video.

He also indicated in his review that you can't assign unique target distances to each task which is also not true. Each GeoString (task) has its own target radius that defines the distance to the target locations that will trigger an alert popup. For more details, you can view my video.

Also if any GeoStrings user needs any assistance in using the app, in addition to viewing the "GeoStrings Guide" instructional video series on youtube and using the interactive help system within the app, you can email me for support using the email address links provided on the app's help screen (accessible via the app's menu).
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan,

I think that the swipe problem that "Carlos M" mentioned was messing me up too. I thought I couldn't swipe a notification popup away either. I found that the way to swipe one away is to first put your finger down on the specific notification and THEN drag it to the right. With other webOS notifications, you can just swipe left to right without first putting your finger down, and pausing, and then swiping. For some reason you need to pause briefly (in geostrings) when you don't have to with other notifications.

Gerry
  8.    #308  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    I found that the way to swipe one away is to first put your finger down on the specific notification and THEN drag it to the right.
    You are exactly correct. The alert popup is not a normal system notification like you have in other apps. It is a popup that displays a list of "in alert" GeoStrings. Instead of interacting directly with the popup, you have to interact with the individual rows in the task list displayed on the alert popup.

Just like in any app that has a list of items, you swipe an individual row to remove that item from the list. So to deactivate an "in alert" GeoString, you would swipe the individual list item off the screen. When all "in alert" list items are gone, the popup will be dismissed.

I think in the next release I may add a "?" icon to the alert popup (similar to the ones found within the app) that when tapped will explain to the user how the alert popup works.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    How do I save an edit (added locations) to a location group? When I back swipe, my edit is lost.
  10.    #310  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    How do I save an edit (added locations) to a location group? When I back swipe, my edit is lost.
    On the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen, tap the little triangle icon at the top of the "Locations" group to bring up a menu and select the "Save as Location Group" selection. Type in a location group name into the popup and then tap "Save" to save the locations to the location group. For a visual demonstration, see my video (at time frame 08:26).

In a future release, I'll add the ability to add locations to an existing location group from the Saved Locations screen, as well as add new location groups from this screen.

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Im not sure if anyone else is having this problem. My alerts are not going off on time. I will arrive at the location and the alert does not go off for 10 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go off at all.

I have uninstalled and then reinstalled with no luck. I was a beta tester and Im not sure if something got tweaked when I removed the old program.
  12.    #312  
    Quote Originally Posted by Csquared View Post
    Im not sure if anyone else is having this problem. My alerts are not going off on time. I will arrive at the location and the alert does not go off for 10 minutes. Sometimes it doesn't go off at all.

I have uninstalled and then reinstalled with no luck. I was a beta tester and Im not sure if something got tweaked when I removed the old program.
    Try going into "Location Services" and in the Preferences menu see if you have "Google Services" selected under the "Locate me using" option. If so uncheck it and make sure "GPS" is checked. I've had a few people email me with the same issue and this has fixed it for them. It seems that the webOS location service sometimes reports erratic positional readings when "Google Services" is selected.

Also the next time this happens (assuming this doesn't fix your issue), open up Google Maps and see if your current position is correct. If not, try rebooting your device. One time my position (in Google Maps) was reading miles away from where I actually was. After rebooting my device it was ok again.

LOVE this app. Thank you so so much!
    Some suggestions...
    1. the snooze feature needs a button that says "next time" that will dismiss the alarm until the next time you are in the area.
    2. the "active geostrings" page should have the 'distance to' listed like you have in the alarm pop up. (also those fields are so big, maybe throw some more info in there like the address or the first bit of the note or something.)
    3. I would like all events to show up in history, and then delete them from there if I don't want them anymore.
    4. On the search return page, I would like your google map link to be there instead of the star. Frequently I can't tell which result I need by the address, I need to see it on the map to know which is the right one.
    5. BUG REPORT? I have several address book entries that won't pull open correctly in GeoStrings.. it says "error while retrieving address coordinates - unknown address" BUT, if I touch on the address in my contact application, it will pull open the google map right to the correct spot on the map.
    Here is an example of how one of these addresses looks in my contact app that won't pull up in GeoStrings...
    7953 South Airport
    Road West Jordan, UT

And keep up the good work. This application is AWESOME!
    couple more quick things,
    it would be nice if the alarm pop up had the address on there really easy to see, or even better, a quick link to the google map. (both even!)

is there a easy way to change a inactive geostring back into an active one? , a "reactivate" button might be useful.

Also, as most people won't read directions or watch your very good videos, I think your alarm pop up needs some more work on dismissing and geo-snoozing. It needs an intuitive way to dismiss the alarm until the next time you drive past.
    And for full dismissal, The hold and drag thing, most people won't catch onto and will be irritated and give you less than the 5 stars you deserve.
  15.    #315  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post
    1. the snooze feature needs a button that says "next time" that will dismiss the alarm until the next time you are in the area.
    Swiping in the phone's gesture area does this. It will dismiss the popup and the GeoString will go back into alert (i.e. an alert popup will appear) if the person goes back within the target area. Please see my video for details on all the ways you can interact with the alert popups.

2. the "active geostrings" page should have the 'distance to' listed like you have in the alarm pop up. (also those fields are so big, maybe throw some more info in there like the address or the first bit of the note or something.)
    One of the beta testers suggested the same type of thing regarding displaying distances; however it's a bit tricky to do this because you need a GPS fix in order to make this calculation on the fly and precise GPS fixes can sometimes take qiute a while to retrieve. So this may not be feasible to display automatically; however there may be a manual option in a future release to display the distance to target for a particular GeoString.

3. I would like all events to show up in history, and then delete them from there if I don't want them anymore.
    You can delete GeoStrings (or locations) on the history lists by swiping them off the screen. Do you mean an option to delete everything from the history all at once?

4. On the search return page, I would like your google map link to be there instead of the star. Frequently I can't tell which result I need by the address, I need to see it on the map to know which is the right one.
    You do have the map icon after you add the location to the GeoString so you can check the map then and if you selected the wrong address, you can swipe it off the screen and try again. But yeah I can see how this may be a bit cumbersome. I'll think of a way to do what you're suggesting.

5. BUG REPORT? I have several address book entries that won't pull open correctly in GeoStrings.. it says "error while retrieving address coordinates - unknown address" BUT, if I touch on the address in my contact application, it will pull open the google map right to the correct spot on the map.
    Here is an example of how one of these addresses looks in my contact app that won't pull up in GeoStrings...
    7953 South Airport
    Road West Jordan, UT
    I added a contact with the exact address you posted above (copy and pasted from your message) and it worked for me.

Which type of account is this particular address synced from (Google, Yahoo, etc.)? Can you export the contact and email me the attachment so I can import it directly into my account and try to re-create the issue? My support email address can be found by going to the app's help screen and tapping the "support email" link to bring up the email app.

And keep up the good work. This application is AWESOME!
    Thanks! And thanks for the great suggestions.

16.    #316  
    couple more quick things,
    it would be nice if the alarm pop up had the address on there really easy to see, or even better, a quick link to the google map. (both even!)
    I don't think there's enough room to display address. I think in most cases people will know where the destination is based upon its name considering the alert popup is only displayed when you're close to the destination.

For those times when people need a map to find the location (like when they're out of town), you can tap the GeoString list item on the alert popup to bring up the detail screen and then tap on the map icon to view a map and get directions.

is there a easy way to change a inactive geostring back into an active one? , a "reactivate" button might be useful.
    You can tap on the GeoString to bring up the edit screen and then scroll down and tap on the "Active" selector to change it to "Inactive".

Also, as most people won't read directions or watch your very good videos, I think your alarm pop up needs some more work on dismissing and geo-snoozing. It needs an intuitive way to dismiss the alarm until the next time you drive past.
    As I mentioned in my last message, you can swipe in the phone's gesture area to do this. I plan on adding a "?" icon to the alert popup which will display a help page describing the different ways you can interact with the alert popup.

And for full dismissal, The hold and drag thing, most people won't catch onto and will be irritated and give you less than the 5 stars you deserve.
    To deactivate a particular "in alert" GeoString on the popup, you simply swipe the list item off the screen. This swiping method of removing items from a list (which you're calling "hold and drag") is the exact same method used by all webOS apps.

Originally Posted by mobilemitch View Post QUOTE QUOTE
    Swiping in the phone's gesture area does this. It will dismiss the popup and the GeoString will go back into alert (i.e. an alert popup will appear) if the person goes back within the target area. Please see my "GeoStrings Guide #7 - Alert Popups" video for details on all the ways you can interact with the alert popups.

as it says in the video, "if you swipe in the gesture area, it will dismiss the pop up AND IN ABOUT A MINUTE IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE AREA, IT WILL POP BACK UP." That is exactly what is bugging me. For example my grocery store and video store are right next to each other. I set an alarm for the video store, but I only had time for the grocery store, So the whole time I was in the grocery store, I kept swiping away the alarm, but it came back every minute. So my choice was to either make it inactive then have to remember to reactivate it, OR what I did was snooze it for 30 minutes and then I had to swipe it away later when I was far away.-- thats more 'work' than it should be.

So , if you don't change this, its not a super big deal, I would still love the app. But... Palm software is supposed to be all about "less clicks is better" and stuff... It just seems like the snoozing needs a better way to handle situations like I just described.
  18.    #318  
    as it says in the video, "if you swipe in the gesture area, it will dismiss the pop up AND IN ABOUT A MINUTE IF YOU ARE STILL IN THE AREA, IT WILL POP BACK UP." That is exactly what is bugging me. For example my grocery store and video store are right next to each other. I set an alarm for the video store, but I only had time for the grocery store, So the whole time I was in the grocery store, I kept swiping away the alarm, but it came back every minute. So my choice was to either make it inactive then have to remember to reactivate it, OR what I did was snooze it for 30 minutes and then I had to swipe it away later when I was far away.-- thats more 'work' than it should be.

So , if you don't change this, its not a super big deal, I would still love the app. But... Palm software is supposed to be all about "less clicks is better" and stuff... It just seems like the snoozing needs a better way to handle situations like I just described.
    I think I understand what you're talking about now. You want a way to indicate that the alarm should not re-appear until you leave the area and then re-enter it.

One of the changes I plan on implementing in a future release is adding an option to the snooze popup that will let the user indicate whether the snoozed alarm should re-appear if the user leaves the target area.

So once this option is available, in your case you would choose the option not to have the snoozed alarm re-appear and then snooze the alarm for 30 minutes. Then in 30 minutes after you've left the target area, the alarm would not re-appear.

Would this be a sufficient solution for you?

Ya, sounds like your planned upgrade to snooze should take care of the issue. Thanks Dan!
  20.    #320  
    Ya, sounds like your planned upgrade to snooze should take care of the issue. Thanks Dan!
    Very good! I actually had planned to implement this initially but found that certain CSS elements cannot be displayed properly on a popup as they would be on a normal card. This includes checkboxes. However I think I have a way I'll work around it.