Page 15 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #281  
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkEye View Post
    * If I delete the app and then reinstall will I lose all of the data that I have entered?
    Yes, this is true of any app that stores data on the phone. However I plan in a future release to implement some type of import/export mechanism so people can backup and restore their saved GeoStrings and locations.

* I have a Sprint Airave at home and Google maps shows me 7.5 miles away. I think this is an Airave problem so this renders GeoString useless to me when I enter my Airave zone (500 feet from the device). Just a heads up for you when people complain GeoString does not work from their house.
    Open up "Location Services" on your phone and under the "Preferences" menu check if both "GPS" and "Google Services" are checked under the "Locate Me Using" selection. If "Google Services" is checked, try un-checking it and see if your location on Google Maps seems correct.

* I setup a 'Take out garbage' Geostring @ work so when I got .2 miles away from home address it would notify me. It did not show up. And when I got into my Airave zone it then popped up a Geostring notification to 'Take out garbage' is 7.5 miles away.
    What was your "Target Radius" set to in this GeoString? 0.2 miles is not one of the valid options, so I assume you had it set to 0.25. Assuming that's correct and you received an alert popup indicating the location was 7.5 miles away, then your current location (reported by the webOS location service) must be jumping around rather erratically. As you mentioned, your location seems to be messed up due to your Airave. Try out what I suggested above and let me know if that helped.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by Walhalla2k View Post
    and we in europe still cant use it... :-(
    I guess the most productive action would be more complaints directly to Palm about the operation of the App Catalog outside the US.
    Dan, bought it this eve and tried it out. What a great app.
    Looking forward to updates and saving.
    What a great professional looking fully funtional app!
    Have a great New Year.
  4.    #284  
    Quote Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
    Dan, bought it this eve and tried it out. What a great app.
    Looking forward to updates and saving.
    What a great professional looking fully funtional app!
    Have a great New Year.
    Thanks a lot...Happy New Year to you too (and to everyone else still reading these forums!) Me personally, I'll be a homebody watching movies and playing Yahtzee with my family.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Open up "Location Services" on your phone and under the "Preferences" menu check if both "GPS" and "Google Services" are checked under the "Locate Me Using" selection. If "Google Services" is checked, try un-checking it and see if your location on Google Maps seems correct.
    Un-checking 'Google Services" fixed my Google maps GPS issue. Now GM reports my location when I'm at home correctly. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Dan this is an incredible app! I've wanted this sort of app since I owned my 700p (which didn't have GPS). At this time a year ago I was salivating over what Palm was about to put out and when it came out this is the first sort of app I was hoping to see. 95% of everything else in the app catalog is of little use to me and I've been checking the app catalog several times a day since you posted here that you submitted it to the app catalog. In fact, I think I may have been the 1st purchaser as it showed 0 buys when I made my first app catalog purchase this morning.

I have to agree completely with others who have pointed out how professionally polished this app is (and for a 1.0.0 version too). An outstanding job for an outstanding app worth far more than $2.99 - especially for my worthless brain.

Looking forward to what else you might have in mind down the road.

Happy New Year (enjoy Yahtzee)!

Gerry
  7.    #287  
    Un-checking 'Google Services" fixed my Google maps GPS issue. Now GM reports my location when I'm at home correctly. Thanks.
    Very good. I'll have to think of a way to inform people of this issue and its potential fix. I could always add a FAQ to my website, but I think most people won't check the website. I think I may add a FAQ to the app's help screen and hopefully they'll check that.

8.    #288  
    Quote Originally Posted by kilroy View Post
    Dan this is an incredible app! I've wanted this sort of app since I owned my 700p (which didn't have GPS). At this time a year ago I was salivating over what Palm was about to put out and when it came out this is the first sort of app I was hoping to see. 95% of everything else in the app catalog is of little use to me and I've been checking the app catalog several times a day since you posted here that you submitted it to the app catalog. In fact, I think I may have been the 1st purchaser as it showed 0 buys when I made my first app catalog purchase this morning.

I have to agree completely with others who have pointed out how professionally polished this app is (and for a 1.0.0 version too). An outstanding job for an outstanding app worth far more than $2.99 - especially for my worthless brain.

Looking forward to what else you might have in mind down the road.

Happy New Year (enjoy Yahtzee)!

Gerry
    Thanks for the 1st purchase!

My goal with this app was to create something useful for people that they'll use on a daily basis, so hopefully it'll turn out that way.

I'm working on what my next idea will be. I don't know what it'll be yet, but its goal will also be something that people can use on a daily basis.

I'm working on what my next idea will be. I don't know what it'll be yet, but its goal will also be something that people can use on a daily basis.
    How about an app that prints out $100 bills on a daily basis? That is an app that everyone could use.

With GeoStrings now I can truly show it to my iPhone user friends and say 'There is NOT an app for that' on the iPhone.
  10.    #290  
    How about an app that prints out $100 bills on a daily basis? That is an app that everyone could use.
    That would be the best app ever.

With GeoStrings now I can truly show it to my iPhone user friends and say 'There is NOT an app for that' on the iPhone.
    I've already done that at work with a few of the people who like to tease my Pre and it's app-handicap.

Great app, I just bought it, I hope you become wealthy, good for you
  12.    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by adambomb13 View Post
    Great app, I just bought it, I hope you become wealthy, good for you
    Thanks! I hope so too.

Smaller radius targets will not be possible. It wouldn't be reliable based upon my testing. 0.1 miles is really not that large of a distance. It's 176 yards (1 3/4 football fields).

The app's poll rate is determined by several factors including speed and distance to targets, and at its quickest is 60 seconds. So if you're actually driving at car speeds, it's not likely you'll get an alert popup if you set a target radius of 0.1 miles (which is part of what I describe in the video I posted). Smaller radius targets are designed for the scenarios when you are driving to a particular destination and want to be reminded when you reach that destination (they also work for when you're walking or biking vs. riding a car).
    OOOOHHH i get it now. Thank you for explaining it for me. I'm going to buy GeoStrings later tonight, and I'll be sure to put in a good review in the App Catalog
    I have a general question, not necessarily completely related to GeoStrings.

Do most Pre users leave GPS on all the time? I always make sure to turn mine off, assuming it would significantly improve my battery...

Does the GPS have some sort of "sleep" mode that it goes into if you're not running a GPS based app?

I've been interested in GeoStrings since it was mentioned over in Music Player Remix, but my biggest fear is killing my battery by leaving it running. I read through this thread, and saw the post about 1%-2% additional drain...but what will happen if I don't have GeoStrings running and GPS on?
  15.    #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    I have a general question, not necessarily completely related to GeoStrings.

Do most Pre users leave GPS on all the time? I always make sure to turn mine off, assuming it would significantly improve my battery...

Does the GPS have some sort of "sleep" mode that it goes into if you're not running a GPS based app?

I've been interested in GeoStrings since it was mentioned over in Music Player Remix, but my biggest fear is killing my battery by leaving it running. I read through this thread, and saw the post about 1%-2% additional drain...but what will happen if I don't have GeoStrings running and GPS on?
    I do know that the phone itself goes into a low-power state if it's not being used for a certain amount of time. I would guess that the GPS also goes into some sort of sleep mode if it's not being polled for positional data. It doesn't make sense that the GPS would constantly poll for data if no app or process is requesting this data.

For information specific to how GeoStrings conserves the battery, you can view my video.

But basically GeoStrings sets alarms to periodically run in the background if there are viable GeoStrings active on a particular day and a particular time period of that day. At all other times, GeoStrings will not run in the background. It's intelligent enough to know when to poll for GPS data and how often to do so based upon the device's current speed and distance to its target locations. There are other things that go into the calculation, but that's the basics of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozmodiar View Post
    I leave GPS on all the time, and haven't noticed a bit of difference in battery drain.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  17.    #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I leave GPS on all the time, and haven't noticed a bit of difference in battery drain.
    It really makes sense to do this. GPS is one of the great features of the Palm Pre and other smartphones. It's incredibly handy to be able to utilize Sprint Navigation, Google Maps, GeoStrings, or other location-aware apps without having to turn on GPS everytime.

Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    What a great app! You've raised the bar in terms of overall app quality and price point. (Set, IMHO, by NewsRoom)

Just what webOS needs, ...apps that utilize the Pre's great hardware, and webOS multitasking abilities and notification features.

Nice job, thanks.
  19.    #299  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    What a great app! You've raised the bar in terms of overall app quality and price point. (Set, IMHO, by NewsRoom)

Just what webOS needs, ...apps that utilize the Pre's great hardware, and webOS multitasking abilities and notification features.

Nice job, thanks.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the app. As you mentioned, the Pre/Pixi has a lot of potential with the webOS platform. I think 2010 will be an interesting year when it comes to apps.

Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Hey DANPLC,

I like Geostrings but I think that it would be super useful if you could creat a 7 day trial for this app to see how useful it would be. I would like to use it and purchase it but I would first like to see how useful it would be for me first. If you could do that, that would be great!