Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Not sure if you got me or not; Google really needs a better name for this thing. I mean their business/domain stuff.

So, I go to docs.mydomain.com and get all of the Google Docs stuff under my company umbrella, with a simple username of Dan, and access to the other docs of my users without needing to actively share everything. Completely separate from my gmail account and its calendar/docs.

No idea what it takes to develop for. I've always gotten the impression that you'd just need to use more flexible Apps-aware APIs or accept Dan@mydomain.com as a valid Google Docs account. If it's something you'd have to build support for, don't sweat it, but if it's something you could basically not exclude or hard code against, please note that we exist.
    I would imagine that a user could use their own personal Google username/password to access their own docs and import/export from there. I don't think I need to set up a business account (shared repository) for this. This is what the Fuel app does. When you export your vehices, it creates a spreadsheet file in your Google Doc account.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Thanks! Let me know how you like it!
    DanPLC, the app is great. Have already used it today. I have a question and a comment.

On the snooze options, I think it would be nice to be able to add a start date to a geostring from the snooze popup. Ideally, when you setup a geostring, you would put in a start date. However, whether you do this or not, it may not always be convenient to take care of that task on that day. So, it would be nice to either have an option to delay the notifications for a day or to create a start date (i.e., for tomorrow).

My question is...how do you create a 'Location Group'? I know I'm missing something basic, but I've looked in the app help and on the youtube videos.

This is a great app and I appreciate how responsive you've been to user suggestions. It will make each release even greater.
    First Review in the app catalog for geostrings
  4.    #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Thanks, I definitely appreciate reviews. The rating showed up in there, but the review text hasn't shown up yet.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Just installed it - looks great so far!!

Dan, what have your beta testers said about battery impact?
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Added my review too. It's great to finally have and use the app.
  7.    #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudedog830 View Post
    DanPLC, the app is great. Have already used it today. I have a question and a comment.
    Thanks!

On the snooze options, I think it would be nice to be able to add a start date to a geostring from the snooze popup. Ideally, when you setup a geostring, you would put in a start date. However, whether you do this or not, it may not always be convenient to take care of that task on that day. So, it would be nice to either have an option to delay the notifications for a day or to create a start date (i.e., for tomorrow).
    You can do this by tapping on the GeoString displayed on the alert popup. This will bring up the edit screen where you can set a start date. Once you save the GeoString, it won't re-alert until that start date is reached (and you reach the target location of course).

My question is...how do you create a 'Location Group'? I know I'm missing something basic, but I've looked in the app help and on the youtube videos.

This is a great app and I appreciate how responsive you've been to user suggestions. It will make each release even greater.
    It's demonstrated in my video (starting at 08:26).

On the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen, there is a small triangle at the top of the "Locations" group. If you tap that, you get a menu with a "Save as Location Group" selection. This will allow you to save the current locations as a location group.

Another helpful tip is to use the "?" icon at the top-right corner of each screen. Tapping this will display help balloons at all the hot spots on a screen. This may reveal places on the screen (like the location group menu) that you may not have realized were available for interaction.

8.    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Just installed it - looks great so far!!

Dan, what have your beta testers said about battery impact?
    It ran well within their expectations. Battery impact was my #1 testing goal during the beta testing phase. During the beta testing I implemented many battery conservation algorithms that really helped with the overall impact. I review some of these algorithms in my video.

The Palm team themselves helped with the beta testing and provided their input. I sent them the beta versions during the beta test phase. They provided their own feedback related to battery impact. The current design has been approved by them, as well as me. I wasn't going to release the app until it not only functioned correctly, but it was as efficient as possible.

It ran well within their expectations. Battery impact was my #1 testing goal during the beta testing phase. During the beta testing I implemented many battery conservation algorithms that really helped with the overall impact. I review some of these algorithms in my video.
    Sounds great - I'm not overly concerned, as I just keep a spare battery in my pocket and leave everything running, but I was curious.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  10.    #270  
    On the "Add/Edit GeoString" screen, there is a small triangle at the top of the "Locations" group. If you tap that, you get a menu with a "Save as Location Group" selection. This will allow you to save the current locations as a location group.
    I forgot to mention that I plan on expanding the way you can add and manage location groups (based upon feedback from the beta testers). In a future release I'll be allowing users to add location groups directly from the Locations screen, as well as allowing them to add locations to an existing location group.

Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    Sounds great - I'm not overly concerned, as I just keep a spare battery in my pocket and leave everything running, but I was curious.
    I was a beta tester and I didn't notice any major drain while testing. I ran one specific test where all I ran was geostrings with 4 active strings and battery monitor and I had maybe an addition 1 to 2% hourly drain. But as we know, the Pre is very inconsistent with battery, so I can't even say geostrings did it. Dan explained his algorithms to us and they are really slick.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Dan,
    Small bug report. I was in the browser in landscape mode when an alert came up. The alert window was not the width of the landscape screen. Rather, it was the width of the portrait screen. It was also pushed to the left side of the screen. It's a cosmetic issue so no worries.

Glad to hear that the Google Docs import/export is a high priority item for you. I think it will really add value to the app.
  13.    #273  
    Quote Originally Posted by matics View Post
    Dan,
    Small bug report. I was in the browser in landscape mode when an alert came up. The alert window was not the width of the landscape screen. Rather, it was the width of the portrait screen. It was also pushed to the left side of the screen. It's a cosmetic issue so no worries.
    Good catch! I'll fix this in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by matics View Post
    Glad to hear that the Google Docs import/export is a high priority item for you. I think it will really add value to the app.
    Importing/exporting is a high priority; however I haven't decided on what mechanism I will use to implement it. Google Docs will be one of the things I consider.

This is exactly what I've been needing. I'm going to check the videos to see if you can make an alarm right when you arrive at a specific location, such as the entrance to the market or pharmacy. I tend to write task lists, but I forget to look at them when I'm actually at the place.
  15.    #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    This is exactly what I've been needing. I'm going to check the videos to see if you can make an alarm right when you arrive at a specific location, such as the entrance to the market or pharmacy. I tend to write task lists, but I forget to look at them when I'm actually at the place.
    You can set a target radius from between 0.1 miles and 20 miles, so in your scenario you would use a smaller target radius. You can also use the snooze function to snooze the alarm for a set amount of time (that you choose) to ensure you are reminded of the task.

Check out the video for more details on the snooze function available on the alert popups.

I think .1 miles would be too big of a target radius for me. I live in the middle of the city and all the places I go to are within a mile of my house (school, mall, theatre, market, pool). It'd be annoying for my phone to remind me to buy groceries when I'm driving to the mall. In the next update, can you add a smaller target radius please?
    and we in europe still cant use it... :-(
  18.    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by gollyzila View Post
    I think .1 miles would be too big of a target radius for me. I live in the middle of the city and all the places I go to are within a mile of my house (school, mall, theatre, market, pool). It'd be annoying for my phone to remind me to buy groceries when I'm driving to the mall. In the next update, can you add a smaller target radius please?
    Smaller radius targets will not be possible. It wouldn't be reliable based upon my testing. 0.1 miles is really not that large of a distance. It's 176 yards (1 3/4 football fields).

The app's poll rate is determined by several factors including speed and distance to targets, and at its quickest is 60 seconds. So if you're actually driving at car speeds, it's not likely you'll get an alert popup if you set a target radius of 0.1 miles (which is part of what I describe in the video I posted). Smaller radius targets are designed for the scenarios when you are driving to a particular destination and want to be reminded when you reach that destination (they also work for when you're walking or biking vs. riding a car).

I purchased it and I'm testing it. A few questions and issues I see.

* If I delete the app and then reinstall will I lose all of the data that I have entered?

* I have a Sprint Airave at home and Google maps shows me 7.5 miles away. I think this is an Airave problem so this renders GeoString useless to me when I enter my Airave zone (500 feet from the device). Just a heads up for you when people complain GeoString does not work from their house.

* I setup a 'Take out garbage' Geostring @ work so when I got .2 miles away from home address it would notify me. It did not show up. And when I got into my Airave zone it then popped up a Geostring notification to 'Take out garbage' is 7.5 miles away.

I will do some more testing with it but so far it's a great app.
  20.    #280  
    I was reading one of the reviews and one of them by a "Brad T" mentioned that he preferred that an alarm that is snoozed not come back up if the person is outside of the target radius. Currently all snoozed alerts come back up even if the person is outside of the target radius (I wanted to give the user the option of either ignoring the snooze reminder or acting on it even if they left the target radius).

In the next release, I plan on adding a selection on the preferences menu to allow the user to choose whether or not snoozed alerts will come back up if the person is outside of the target radius.

I'm posting this here just in case the reviewer has been reading this thread. I'm not sure how else to respond to reviewer comments. It would be nice if there was some type of message board for each app accessible via the app catalog. That way developers could post messages/updates there that reviewers could read.