Like Tree1Likes
    Right now I'm going to watch Avatar,
    Did it live up to the hype?
  2.    #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Did it live up to the hype?
    Yes, it was awesome!
  3.    #223  
    I've uploaded the "GeoStrings Guides" video series to YouTube. You can check it out here: GeoStrings Guides Video Series
    Awsome job, some feedback Actualidad Moviles | Geostrings para WebOs we are waiting to buy as soon as released.

THANKS
  5.    #225  
    Quote Originally Posted by WebosMan View Post
    Awsome job, some feedback Actualidad Moviles | Geostrings para WebOs we are waiting to buy as soon as released.

THANKS
    Thanks for the article. It was very interesting... I liked the part about my wife and the app stemming from necessity. I should thank her for all the times she's been ticked at me for forgetting something.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 12/23/2009 at 07:08 PM.
    DanPLC, have you considered any functionality that would allow external integration for a GeoString? The scenarios that I'm thinking about would be: my wife wants me to stop by the grocery store on the way home and pick up milk, or, I have an email or task in another app (i.e. Remember the Milk) that I want to convert into a geostring.

Technically, I'm not sure how this could be done. In the first scenario, maybe it could be done through an SMS with a set of tags that would trigger GeoStrings to read the task and perhaps a tag that would specify the location group.

For the second scenario, I could envision the ability to integrate with an api for another app (RTM) or a subscription to a RSS feed that would provide this information.

What do you think?
  7.    #227  
    Quote Originally Posted by rudedog830 View Post
    DanPLC, have you considered any functionality that would allow external integration for a GeoString? The scenarios that I'm thinking about would be: my wife wants me to stop by the grocery store on the way home and pick up milk, or, I have an email or task in another app (i.e. Remember the Milk) that I want to convert into a geostring.

Technically, I'm not sure how this could be done. In the first scenario, maybe it could be done through an SMS with a set of tags that would trigger GeoStrings to read the task and perhaps a tag that would specify the location group.

For the second scenario, I could envision the ability to integrate with an api for another app (RTM) or a subscription to a RSS feed that would provide this information.

What do you think?
    I'm not sure if it would be technically possible to have GeoStrings detect an incoming SMS or email message and add a new GeoString as a result. I don't think apps have access to incoming messages.

As far as integrating with an external task management site, the Remember The Milk API site indicates that they don't currently support the API being used in commercial applications, so that would rule that API out for the time being.

But even if there was an external service that could be synced with, I'm not sure it would fit in with GeoStrings considering I have some unique customization options that other sites may not be able to accomodate (such as enabling alert checking on certains days of the week).

So if I were to implement a server syncing feature, it may be with a custom server solution that I created on my website. That way I could create a web form tailor-made for GeoStrings and a person (or their spouse) could submit new GeoStrings which the app would sync up with.

If the app does well enough I may consider this as a future feature.
    Hey Dan, do you have any plans for allowing other apps to launch your app with pre-defined variables to auto-add a GeoString? I have a few apps I am working on that could potentially add its data to GeoStrings for a reminder.

I think there could be some really cool uses for third-party app collaboration with GeoStrings.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  9.    #229  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Hey Dan, do you have any plans for allowing other apps to launch your app with pre-defined variables to auto-add a GeoString? I have a few apps I am working on that could potentially add its data to GeoStrings for a reminder.

I think there could be some really cool uses for third-party app collaboration with GeoStrings.
    What would be an example of this type of third-party integration?
    Well, for one, if you had one of those Media Loaned apps that track which movies, books, games etc you have loaned out, you could press a button inside of that app to "Pick up Halo 3" at Brad's house.

The title of the GeoString would be "Pick Up Halo 3". The location would be the GeoCoded address from Brad's address in your contact list. Of course, you would have to have a lot of default settings. But I think it would be really cool to integrate GeoStrings in apps like these, so when I go over to Brad's house, I know to pick up Halo 3 that I lent him.
    Developer of:

11.    #231  
    Well, for one, if you had one of those Media Loaned apps that track which movies, books, games etc you have loaned out, you could press a button inside of that app to "Pick up Halo 3" at Brad's house.

The title of the GeoString would be "Pick Up Halo 3". The location would be the GeoCoded address from Brad's address in your contact list. Of course, you would have to have a lot of default settings. But I think it would be really cool to integrate GeoStrings in apps like these, so when I go over to Brad's house, I know to pick up Halo 3 that I lent him.
    I'm not sure of the wide appeal of this type of feature. I'd prefer to spend my time focusing on features that I know will benefit the majority of my user-base. If I build some kind of external interface to my app, would that benefit many of my users? I'm not sure.
  12.    #232  
    GeoStrings has been submitted to the app catalog! I'd like to thank all the PreCentral users who have actively participated in the GeoStrings beta. Many of the improvements to the app were inspired by their suggestions. I'd like to also thank all of the people in this thread who have provided suggestions and feedback. It has been very helpful.

The price of the app will be $2.99. My Palm handler has been in touch with me during the beta testing process and he's been waiting for the official submission. So I'm hoping the approval process will not take too long; however, I expect some type of delay due to the current holiday season.

Once the app is reviewed and accepted, I'll post an update on here.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 12/23/2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'm not sure of the wide appeal of this type of feature. I'd prefer to spend my time focusing on features that I know will benefit the majority of my user-base. If I build some kind of external interface to my app, would that benefit many of my users? I'm not sure.
    Of course, definitely focus on what the users immediately want after the app has been released. I also look forward to purchasing this app and using it.

However, as a developer and a webOS fan, I would love for the dev community to start really utilizing features webOS offers over other platforms. The ability for inter-app communication in 3rd party apps is a biggy IMO if used correctly. Since your app deals with managing alerts, it would be ideal for it to manage alerts from any app that would like to set a context-based alert like a GeoString. Your app could become the de-facto standard for alerts.

Just a suggestion though. The app is already awesome (at least it looks like it from the videos you've posted) so with or without an external interface (really just an handleLaunch with specific params), the app is going to be great.
    Developer of:

14.    #234  
    Of course, definitely focus on what the users immediately want after the app has been released. I also look forward to purchasing this app and using it.

However, as a developer and a webOS fan, I would love for the dev community to start really utilizing features webOS offers over other platforms. The ability for inter-app communication in 3rd party apps is a biggy IMO if used correctly. Since your app deals with managing alerts, it would be ideal for it to manage alerts from any app that would like to set a context-based alert like a GeoString. Your app could become the de-facto standard for alerts.

Just a suggestion though. The app is already awesome (at least it looks like it from the videos you've posted) so with or without an external interface (really just an handleLaunch with specific params), the app is going to be great.
    I agree that the ability to launch other apps (via handleLaunch) is a powerful ability of webOS. It does allow for some really cool concepts. I use it myself in the GeoStrings app to load Google Maps.

One really cool use of the handleLaunch mechanism would be to add a "searchGeostring" launch parameter which would display the GeoStrings list screen filtered via the provided filter string. That way it could be added into Universal Search. It would be nice if webOS had a standardized way of adding app searches to Universal Search. That way people could list all of the 3rd party apps with Universal Search capabilities and then choose which ones they want to include.

But I'll definitely keep an external interface on the possibility list. However I would be relying on other developers to take advantage of this capability.
    Dan,

Congratulations! Can't wait to get home and watch all 8 new Video Tutorials.

Wishing you a fast approval and great success with this excellent app.

Yours truly
  16.    #236  
    Quote Originally Posted by aragunal View Post
    Dan,

Congratulations! Can't wait to get home and watch all 8 new Video Tutorials.

Wishing you a fast approval and great success with this excellent app.

Yours truly
    Thanks
    Hi DanPLC,

I am stuck with one query and I think that you can help me out with this problem.

I am developing an application where I have to show atleast 10 points on the map.
    I am using the following code for my application:-
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
                 method: 'launch',
                 parameters:
                {id:"com.palm.app.maps",
                     params:{"query":this.map}
                 }
                });
    Where "this.map" contains latitude and longitude of the 10 records.
    I want to know is it possible to use KML file in Palm application for multiple records in the map.
    If yes then how?

Thanks,
    ajchomefinder
  18.    #238  
    Quote Originally Posted by ajchomefinder View Post
    Hi DanPLC,

I am stuck with one query and I think that you can help me out with this problem.

I am developing an application where I have to show atleast 10 points on the map.
    I am using the following code for my application:-
    Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.applicationManager', {
                 method: 'launch',
                 parameters:
                {id:"com.palm.app.maps",
                     params:{"query":this.map}
                 }
                });
    Where "this.map" contains latitude and longitude of the 10 records.
    I want to know is it possible to use KML file in Palm application for multiple records in the map.
    If yes then how?

Thanks,
    ajchomefinder
    I responded in your other thread. Here's a link to my response: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2109316
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
  19.    #239  
    Good news folks... GeoStrings is showing up as "Published" on the Palm developer portal site. I'm guessing it'll show up in the catalog when they update the apps today.

I'll send out another update once I find the app in the catalog.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Feels like my Pre is sorely lacking an F5 key now.