Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I am really looking forward to this app. Any update on when we might get it?
  2.    #202  
    Quote Originally Posted by bausti25 View Post
    I am really looking forward to this app. Any update on when we might get it?
    It's in the process of being tested. I'm currently working on battery conservation logic. After that's done, there really isn't that much more to do.
    I'm so happy. I've been looking for precisely this functionality for so long.

I love driving and exploring. My wife is exactly the opposite. Every second in the car is torture for her. I have a huge and disorganized list of places I'd like to go, but never seem to get to. This would allow me to say, "Hey, let's stop here. I heard this was really cool and it is only a few minutes away." Fantastic!

I've been trying to figure out how to accomplish this with other apps, tools, or even by buying a separate GPS device. I'm ridiculously excited to try this.
  4.    #204  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusy View Post
    I love driving and exploring. My wife is exactly the opposite. Every second in the car is torture for her. I have a huge and disorganized list of places I'd like to go, but never seem to get to. This would allow me to say, "Hey, let's stop here. I heard this was really cool and it is only a few minutes away." Fantastic!
    Other than just remembering the things I have to do, this was the other main motivator behind this app. There are so many times when me or my wife have wanted to drop by a store to check something out and then never remember to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oriol
    3- Have you thought ofreminders being set off after being in the same spot or area for a certain amount of time?

E.G. I need to check the engine's oil at the gas station, I think "I'll do it the next time I stop by", I wouldn't want to be reminded every time I drive by it (2-3 times a day), just the next time I stop to get some gas (which would mean I'll be there for about 5 minutes at least). If the GPS locates me near my target (setting the 0.1 mi radius you mentioned) for 3 consecutive minutes it would launch the reminder.

What other examples would there be for this type of alert? Before adding this type of functionality, I need to make sure it would appeal to a wider audience.

If you set an alert with a 0.1 radius, then you really do have to stay at that location to have the GeoString go off. The alert may go off when you drive by, but I'd say the odds would be low unless you were driving slowly or happened to stop at that particular light at the time of the alert checking.
    As I was trying to think about other situations when this could be helpful I kept coming up with ideas that probably only occur in small cities, and probably woultn't apply in many cases.
    Everything I thought of involved passing very close to places without actually going to them... I don't know if I explained myself...

I live in Cancun, wich is a pretty small city, so... let's say I whant to remember to ask my friend Cristy if I left my jacket at her place. The problem is Cristy lives in one of the streets I must pass through when going to/from work (neither times being suitable to stop by). So I'd like to be reminded the next time I stop by her house.

In a big city this wouldn't matter, as being 0.1 miles away from someone's place would mean you're probably heading there anyway. But for small towns that's not always the case...

Just for you to give it a tought Dan
  6.    #206  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriol View Post
    As I was trying to think about other situations when this could be helpful I kept coming up with ideas that probably only occur in small cities, and probably woultn't apply in many cases.
    Everything I thought of involved passing very close to places without actually going to them... I don't know if I explained myself...

I live in Cancun, wich is a pretty small city, so... let's say I whant to remember to ask my friend Cristy if I left my jacket at her place. The problem is Cristy lives in one of the streets I must pass through when going to/from work (neither times being suitable to stop by). So I'd like to be reminded the next time I stop by her house.

In a big city this wouldn't matter, as being 0.1 miles away from someone's place would mean you're probably heading there anyway. But for small towns that's not always the case...

Just for you to give it a tought Dan
    I think in your example you might use the "days of the week" filtering. So if you work Monday through Friday, you would uncheck those days and only be reminded on Saturday and Sunday. Or if you work a certain time of day, you could use time filtering to remove those hours of the day.
    I love your work. How much will this app cost?
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by mamouton View Post
    I love your work. How much will this app cost?
    3 or 4 dollars probably. I think I have to be price-competitive with all of the other great $5 apps such as that farting app that was released this week.
    I needed this app over the weekend. I keep forgetting to do stuff once I get to where I need to be. Like on saturday I was at JC Pennys and I was supposed to be getting a christmas gift for my mom but I ended up forgetting than when I finally remember the sale was over. I also need to remind my self when I get home I need to pack and or wrap a gift so I can mail it before christmas. I know I'm going to forget and this app is what I need. Darn you Dan for teasing us with this. Where can we donate 3 or 4 bucks not enough!
  10.    #210  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    I needed this app over the weekend. I keep forgetting to do stuff once I get to where I need to be. Like on saturday I was at JC Pennys and I was supposed to be getting a christmas gift for my mom but I ended up forgetting than when I finally remember the sale was over. I also need to remind my self when I get home I need to pack and or wrap a gift so I can mail it before christmas. I know I'm going to forget and this app is what I need. Darn you Dan for teasing us with this. Where can we donate 3 or 4 bucks not enough!
    The testing is going well, so hopefully it won't be too much longer. All of the large hurdles are done. The last big thing I'm working on is reducing battery consumption. I just implemented some new algorithms which should help a lot. I'm testing them out now and should have them ready for the beta testers either today or tomorrow.

So no there's no need for donations. You can "donate" (buy) it when it gets in the catalog. But don't be surprised if I send a few more beta invites out to a few people.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    i hope the crappy-beta-app-catalog in europe will be updated before your nice app comes out - we european won't get it (and can't pay it) before palm is out of beta.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Volunteering for beta testing!
  13.    #213  
    Release Candidate 1 has been released to the beta testers. This means the app is catalog-ready (assuming there are no more bugs/issues).

Based on feedback from the beta testers, a few new features have been added since I posted my original videos, as well as improvements to existing features. Prior to release into the catalog, I'll be publishing a whole new set of video tutorials/guides that will demonstrate all of the app's features.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    I read, the app-catalog will not go out of beta before spring 2010, so we european users won't have a chance to test this amazing app.
    So sad!
    :-(
  15.    #215  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    I read, the app-catalog will not go out of beta before spring 2010, so we european users won't have a chance to test this amazing app.
    So sad!
    :-(
    Where'd you read that? I haven't seen that posted on the PreCentral main site or anywhere else.

I received an email from Palm inviting developers to come to CES. It stated the following:

Please join us at CES as we open the doors to the Palm webOS Developer Program with Ben Galbraith, Dion Almaer and the extended team.
    When they say "as we open the doors to the Palm webOS Developer Program", I interpreted that as meaning the SDK will be opened up (i.e. taken out of beta) at CES which is January 7th.

But this is just my interpretation. I may be completely off-base. And even if I am correct, it doesn't mean the app catalog will be out of beta or paid apps will be released to European users. But you never know!
    I am more excited about this app than I am about xmas this year. My Pre and I haven't been the best of friends lately, this app is going to fix that!
  17.    #217  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I am more excited about this app than I am about xmas this year. My Pre and I haven't been the best of friends lately, this app is going to fix that!
    I'm glad you're excited about the app...I am too. It'll be nice to be able to use the app in a more regular way (as a user vs. a testing developer). However even in the midst of testing hundreds of GeoString reminders, I still have managed on occasion to use the app as a normal user.

For instance the other day I had an appointment at the chiropractor at 5:45pm. On the way out the door my wife asked me to pick up salads at Zaxbys for dinner. The Zaxbys is located on the road leading to the chiropractors.

So I set a GeoString for Zaxbys to remember to stop there and pick up dinner. But the problem is I didn't want to be reminded before I reached the chiropractors since I didn't want the salads to sit in the car for 1+ hours while I was at my appointment. So I set a start time of 6pm and when I drove by, it didn't pop up with a reminder. But when I was driving back home, it popped up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post

So I set a GeoString for Zaxbys to remember to stop there and pick up dinner. But the problem is I didn't want to be reminded before I reached the chiropractors since I didn't want the salads to sit in the car for 1+ hours while I was at my appointment. So I set a start time of 6pm and when I drove by, it didn't pop up with a reminder. But when I was driving back home, it popped up.
    That is freaking sweet. When the app gets going, you should have a way for users to share GeoStrings stories of success. Maybe even have it available via the app menu. Partly because its neat, but also to give people ideas of using this app in ways they wouldn't have considered.
  19.    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    That is freaking sweet. When the app gets going, you should have a way for users to share GeoStrings stories of success. Maybe even have it available via the app menu. Partly because its neat, but also to give people ideas of using this app in ways they wouldn't have considered.
    I've thought about that actually. I'll probably have it on the GeoString website.
  20.    #220  
    I just wrapped up a new set of video tutorials that I'll be posting on YouTube later today. I call the video series "The Geostrings Guides". A link to my YouTube channel has been included on the app's help page so that people can use these videos to help learn about the app.

The videos demonstrate all of the features within the final release version of the app. This will be the version released to the app catalog.

Right now I'm going to watch Avatar, but afterwards I plan on uploading the videos so you guys can check out some of the cool new features such as snoozing, Geostring notes, and app preferences.