Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #181  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gav_Oracle View Post
    This is looking really good Dan! Your app looks like one of the most polished of any app I've seen for the Pre so far. I really hope that Europe gets paid apps by the time you have this ready to release otherwise myself and others not in the US will really be missing out.

Keep up the excellent work!
    Thanks a lot! When I designed the app, one of my main goals was to provide a clean, functional user interface, as well as trying to come up with all the different configuration options that people might find useful in an app like this. And this thread has provided some additional ideas (time filtering, navigation directions via the alert popup, etc).

When I submit my app to the catalog, I'll talk to my handler about the estimated time frame that paid apps will be made available to international users.
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I probably wouldn't try to interact with any 3rd party apps. I'll only add functionality that all users can utilize.
    you should't interact with 3rd party apps, you should only interact with pre's "standard app" for adresses which is default set to googlemaps, but has to be changeable to minimaps, which has the same (and in some better) possibilities as googlemaps (that is made by the internetkraken and not to be trusted)
  3.    #183  
    Quote Originally Posted by conum View Post
    you should't interact with 3rd party apps, you should only interact with pre's "standard app" for adresses
    I agree.
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Dan,
    I'll admit I haven't read everything in this fourum (excuse me if this has already been asked)...

One feature (that I think in on android phones) is the ability to put the device in different modes based on location... i.e. silent at theater, loud ring at work, turn off wi-fi at work/home... etc

any thoughts on incorporating these kind of features? or a separate app?

can't wait for it to be released...
  5.    #185  
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinTim View Post
    Dan,
    I'll admit I haven't read everything in this fourum (excuse me if this has already been asked)...

One feature (that I think in on android phones) is the ability to put the device in different modes based on location... i.e. silent at theater, loud ring at work, turn off wi-fi at work/home... etc

any thoughts on incorporating these kind of features? or a separate app?

can't wait for it to be released...
    That would be a great addition to the app, but the SDK doesn't currently allow those settings to be changed from within the app (using documented API calls).

If that ever changes, I do plan on modifying a GeoString to allow you to specify not only tasks, but events as well.
  6.    #186  
    The beta testing phase has begun! Keep a look out in this thread for updates on the beta testing. Also soon I'll be shooting a live video demonstration of GeoStrings on my Pre as I take a trip in the car.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The beta testing phase has begun! Keep a look out in this thread for updates on the beta testing. Also soon I'll be shooting a live video demonstration of GeoStrings on my Pre as I take a trip in the car.
    Awesome!!!!
    Just found your app on youtube. Man this is a great app that I would pay for. Will this integrate with the existing task app? It is a shame Palm didn't think of making the task app more useful, just like the music player. Is there a way to be notified of geostrings release? I happened to luck onto this app and I don't want to miss out.
  9.    #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Just found your app on youtube. Man this is a great app that I would pay for. Will this integrate with the existing task app? It is a shame Palm didn't think of making the task app more useful, just like the music player. Is there a way to be notified of geostrings release? I happened to luck onto this app and I don't want to miss out.
    It won't be integrating with the webOS tasks app; however it may in a future revision integrate with an online service.

I'd keep up with this thread for the latest news on the app. I anticipate the release will be either this month or next. You can also subscribe to my Youtube channel (HedamiSoft) for the latest videos of the product. And I'll probably announce on there the release.
    Hey there, I just bought my Pre and it's the first time I go into modding, so I appologize beforehand for any missunderstandings or transgressions...
    I stumbled with this thread and just read it completly, and If I'm not mistaken haven't seen some of my questions answered (If they were, srry)...

First of all, as most of the people here have said THIS LOOKS LIKE AN AWESOME APP!!

After having said that, there are some questions I wanted to ask and some suggestions to make:

1-As your "A few features" video demonstrates, by deleting a location from the "history" tab it will automatically delete it from strings and groups as well.
    If there is a particular geostring that has only that location as a target what would happen? would the string itself be deleted? or would it be left location-less? have you thought of adding a notification in such cases to avoid "loosing" any tasks?

2- You've probablly already thought about it but... Could you use cell-tower location as a broader locating option, and have GPS kick-in when you are in a certain predefined-range? This as to lessen battery drainage as I think I've understood from other posts...

3- Have you thought ofreminders being set off after being in the same spot or area for a certain amount of time?

E.G. I need to check the engine's oil at the gas station, I think "I'll do it the next time I stop by", I wouldn't want to be reminded every time I drive by it (2-3 times a day), just the next time I stop to get some gas (which would mean I'll be there for about 5 minutes at least). If the GPS locates me near my target (setting the 0.1 mi radius you mentioned) for 3 consecutive minutes it would launch the reminder.

4- As I stated I'm quite new to this, so I don't know if I shouldn't write this ('cause no one has mentioned it in the thread)... I live in Cancun, Mexico, so I guess I'd be having the same problem with paid apps as others have posted... Why don't you distribute it as MyTether? having a "donation"-enabled download through your site?

Now this was a long post.. hehe
    hope I didn't offend anyone..

Oriol
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriol View Post
    1-As your "A few features" video demonstrates, by deleting a location from the "history" tab it will automatically delete it from strings and groups as well.
    If there is a particular geostring that has only that location as a target what would happen? would the string itself be deleted? or would it be left location-less? have you thought of adding a notification in such cases to avoid "loosing" any tasks?
    Not to be misunderstood.... I saw the notification saying thet it would be deleted from strings and groups... What I mean is a more specific notification (E.G. "Buy Star Trek DVD" Will no longer have a location/ will be deleted). This would help not loosing any tasks due to forgetting about them, and not loosing time browsing through the strings you allready have to locate the ones being affected..

Thnx alot for reading me...

Oriol
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    How about an auto-add location type within x miles of current location for adding quick reminders. That is, making reminders without having to make a list of locations.
    For example, if I have no preference where I get a car wash other than it being closest to my current location, it would be good to be notified that I'm close to one, without having to manually create a new car wash list.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    How about an auto-add location type within x miles of current location for adding quick reminders. That is, making reminders without having to make a list of locations.
    For example, if I have no preference where I get a car wash other than it being closest to my current location, it would be good to be notified that I'm close to one, without having to manually create a new car wash list.
  14.    #194  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Someone recommended that type of feature in the PreCentral GeoStrings article discussion thread. While I think it's a great idea, I don't think it's practical with the given technology (Google services).

The example I gave was what if someone wanted to be reminded when they got near to any Lowes hardware store. They may type in "Lowes" and the app would have to use that search term to find anything with "Lowes" in the title. The probelm is Google will find Lowes food stores as well. Also it will find any other stores with "Lowes" in it. If you go to maps.google.com, you'll see that in New York City, there is a Lowes Carribean restaurant. So this type of auto-detection would result in false positives which I don't believe results in a good user experience.

It may work for "car wash", but may not work for other categories. I have to anticipate my users typing in all sorts of things and I can imagine many searches not working properly.
  15.    #195  
    Yes if the user decides to delete a location, it will be removed from any GeoStrings. If the GeoString had only that location saved, the GeoString itself will be deleted.

That's a good point about warning the users about a GeoString that will be deleted; however I think they should only be warned for active GeoStrings. If there was a task that was already completed, they probably wouldn't care if it was deleted. I can probably add a blurb in the warning popup to indicate any inactive GeoStrings will be deleted if this is the only location in the GeoString.

2- You've probablly already thought about it but... Could you use cell-tower location as a broader locating option, and have GPS kick-in when you are in a certain predefined-range? This as to lessen battery drainage as I think I've understood from other posts...
    I don't think I can specify the source of the location coordinates. I can specify the time to take to obtain the coordinates, and I can specify an accuracy. But I have other methods I will be using to improve battery life.

3- Have you thought ofreminders being set off after being in the same spot or area for a certain amount of time?

E.G. I need to check the engine's oil at the gas station, I think "I'll do it the next time I stop by", I wouldn't want to be reminded every time I drive by it (2-3 times a day), just the next time I stop to get some gas (which would mean I'll be there for about 5 minutes at least). If the GPS locates me near my target (setting the 0.1 mi radius you mentioned) for 3 consecutive minutes it would launch the reminder.
    What other examples would there be for this type of alert? Before adding this type of functionality, I need to make sure it would appeal to a wider audience.

If you set an alert with a 0.1 radius, then you really do have to stay at that location to have the GeoString go off. The alert may go off when you drive by, but I'd say the odds would be low unless you were driving slowly or happened to stop at that particular light at the time of the alert checking.

4- As I stated I'm quite new to this, so I don't know if I shouldn't write this ('cause no one has mentioned it in the thread)... I live in Cancun, Mexico, so I guess I'd be having the same problem with paid apps as others have posted... Why don't you distribute it as MyTether? having a "donation"-enabled download through your site?
    If I'm going to distribute the app in the App Catalog, I don't think I can distribute the app via other means for payments without breaking the terms of the Palm SDK.

However I don't know how Palm's new URL-distributed method will work (which is supposed to be released by the end of this month supposedly). I don't know if this method will be limited to only U.S. customers.

Now this was a long post.. hehe
    hope I didn't offend anyone..

Oriol
    Of course not...thanks for the great questions and ideas.
    [QUOTE=DanPLC;2082268]Music Player (Remix) is the most downloaded app in the homebrew gallery. I would guess it has one of the biggest user-bases as well. While I do get some donations for Music Player (Remix), compared to the number of people actually using the app, it's a very small percentage.

1. Just selected the Donation button in Remix on my Pre (I had forgotten that I'd never paid for this), and was shocked to discover that it took me over 10 min to navigate the site-it simply isn't designed for portrait orientation. I for one am glad that GeoStrings will only appear in the App catalog-that payment process takes only seconds.

2. THANK YOU for departure reminders and 0.1 mi target radius. Having one app that will work when I am walking (nearly always) and driving (rarely) is perfect.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Someone recommended that type of feature in the PreCentral GeoStrings article discussion thread. While I think it's a great idea, I don't think it's practical with the given technology (Google services).

The example I gave was what if someone wanted to be reminded when they got near to any Lowes hardware store. They may type in "Lowes" and the app would have to use that search term to find anything with "Lowes" in the title. The probelm is Google will find Lowes food stores as well. Also it will find any other stores with "Lowes" in it. If you go to maps.google.com, you'll see that in New York City, there is a Lowes Carribean restaurant. So this type of auto-detection would result in false positives which I don't believe results in a good user experience.

It may work for "car wash", but may not work for other categories. I have to anticipate my users typing in all sorts of things and I can imagine many searches not working properly.
    Good point. I guess the closest thing to this is a list of predetermined search parameters like in a nav systems 'find closest business type', but with reminders.
  18.    #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by pukkila View Post
    1. Just selected the Donation button in Remix on my Pre (I had forgotten that I'd never paid for this), and was shocked to discover that it took me over 10 min to navigate the site-it simply isn't designed for portrait orientation. I for one am glad that GeoStrings will only appear in the App catalog-that payment process takes only seconds.
    I don't have a donate button in my app, so I assume you used the one on the Homebrew Gallery page. But yeah, I probably wouldn't try using Paypal on the Pre. Using it on the computer is much easier.

And yes I agree, having it in the App Catalog will be a lot nicer. On-device stores like the App Catalog and Amazon Music are tremendously convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by pukkila View Post
    2. THANK YOU for departure reminders and 0.1 mi target radius. Having one app that will work when I am walking (nearly always) and driving (rarely) is perfect.
    Departure reminders may not make it in the initial release, but I'll work on it for a later revision. Right now my focus is the beta testing and getting the product working perfectly.
  19.    #199  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Good point. I guess the closest thing to this is a list of predetermined search parameters like in a nav systems 'find closest business type', but with reminders.
    Most car nav systems have a pre-defined POI (point-of-interest) database on a DVD in your car. So I imagine businesses are pre-defined in this database as being in a certain category.

However with Google search, it doesn't have pre-defined categories. It just does some type of intelligent search based upon the search input. But that's going to result in false positives.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Don't know about anyone else, but I'm itching to see some of the feedback from the beta testers..