Page 9 of 127 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I know about the separate "Album Artist" field, and I'm aware of how it's supposed to be used. But me personally, I just set it equal to the "Artist". I know it's a bit odd...but if Artist X releases a song on Soundtrack Y, I want "Soundtrack Y" to show up as an album under "Album X" instead of showing up under "Various Artists".
    Ah, okay. I just wasn't sure you were aware of it. Like I said, totally understand not wanting to implement something like that though. Thanks for all the work you did so far as it is.
  2.    #162  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    soooooo there's no way to do playlists........?
    Do you mean creating playlists on the device? I think it's definitely possible; but I haven't put too much thought into it. If I do it though, the playlists would be on the device only meaning they would not be saved to a file format that would be sync'd back to your PC. The playlists would be stored in a local database on the device.
    Do you mean creating playlists on the device? I think it's definitely possible; but I haven't put too much thought into it. If I do it though, the playlists would be on the device only meaning they would not be saved to a file format that would be sync'd back to your PC. The playlists would be stored in a local database on the device.
    oh i dont want it to be synced to my pc i dont care much about that...maybe other ppl do i just want to have a folder that i have specific songs i like and like them to be stored in that folder...like how the ipod does it u like a song and u click and hold on the song and it automatically saves it to the folder of ur favorite playlist so u dont have to be scrolling hundreds of songs to find the one u like get me
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Ah, okay. I just wasn't sure you were aware of it. Like I said, totally understand not wanting to implement something like that though. Thanks for all the work you did so far as it is.
    Yeah I want to focus on items that both I and the majority of folks out there are looking for. At the end of the day, I'm also going to be a user of this app and it would be silly for me to implement something that I'm not going to appreciate.
    I actually prefer it the current way. I like to have my collection separated by artist vs. album.
    i do to. I actually went through my entire library and deleted all entries from Album Artist cause it kept screwing up my the lists.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I used this a little bit last night and liked it, I'll post my suggestions soon. But I had a question, are you going to modify the other palm apps? Like the photo and camera ones, make them better? I like the idea of modifying apps more than creating all new ones at this point.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Nice job! Thank you
  8.    #168  
    Quote Originally Posted by s00pcan View Post
    I used this a little bit last night and liked it, I'll post my suggestions soon. But I had a question, are you going to modify the other palm apps? Like the photo and camera ones, make them better? I like the idea of modifying apps more than creating all new ones at this point.
    I modified the Music app because I had specific gripes with it that I thought would be relatively easy to fix and offer an opportunity to dive into WebOS development.

I don't really have any huge gripes with the photo or camera apps. The only thing I would like added to the photo app is Google Picasa integration.

The other big gripe I can think of with one of the built-in apps is that you can't search your calendar. But I think that will require Palm to update WebOS to modify universal searching.
    I'm currently implementing a manual bookmarking feature. I already have the code working to save bookmarks, which incidentally will be triggered by clicking the slider in "Now Playing" view...currently clicking it brings up the Artist view, but I've changed this to swiping the album art up or down, which was a suggestion by another person on here.

But the more I think about it, I think it would be nice for the player to automatically save the position of the last played song when exiting the app and then start off there when you run the app again. I think most portable MP3 players do this. I'll have to look into the feasibility of adding this feature.
    If you can get this working, this app will be perfect to me.

Thanks for the vast improvements!
    Do you mean creating playlists on the device? I think it's definitely possible
    Well then how about having it auto-generate playlists which represent the file/folder structure? Therefore each music folder on the usb partition would be represented by its own playlist. As you can see my gripe is not being able to play music from a file/folder structure. Thanks
  11.    #171  
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    Well then how about having it auto-generate playlists which represent the file/folder structure? Therefore each music folder on the usb partition would be represented by its own playlist. As you can see my gripe is not being able to play music from a file/folder structure. Thanks
    I think there are two types of portable audio player users:
    1) Those who love browsing by tags
    2) Those who love browsing by folders

I'm in the first group. That being said, I don't have a lot of motivation to work on folder/file browsing. After I finish bookmarking, the next major thing I'd like to find time to work on is on-the-fly playlists, since I would definitely find a good use for that.

But if I could implement folder/file browsing without a lot of hassle, I'd do it since it does seem to be a popular request. However I don't think it will be easy (or even possible). The current media service used by the player serves songs based upon the songID stored in the music database (which my app does not have direct access to).

So assuming my app can read the file structure and get a list of all sub-directories in the music directory, to be able to play a particular song, I would need to be able to retrieve the songID for that song. There is a listSongs() routine that let's you retrieve a song, but as far as I can tell, it only lets you query based upon either artist or album. I've actually tried querying on file path and song name and I couldn't get either one to work.

So the only solution I can think of would be to retrieve every single song using listSongs and then go through each one until you found the one with the same file path. That would be dreadfully slow.

I actually encountered the same issue as I've been implementing bookmarks. The way I worked around that is to call listSongs() with a query of artist and album (which I store in my bookmarks database table) and then just scroll through the results until I found the particular song name. Since most albums should have no more than a few dozen tracks, this method is feasible.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    I'm currently implementing a manual bookmarking feature. I already have the code working to save bookmarks, which incidentally will be triggered by clicking the slider in "Now Playing" view...currently clicking it brings up the Artist view, but I've changed this to swiping the album art up or down, which was a suggestion by another person on here.

But the more I think about it, I think it would be nice for the player to automatically save the position of the last played song when exiting the app and then start off there when you run the app again. I think most portable MP3 players do this. I'll have to look into the feasibility of adding this feature.
    If you do implement automatic bookmarking, please provide a "home" button so we don't have to go "back" "back" "back" every time we start the application to listen to a different song.
  13.    #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    If you do implement automatic bookmarking, please provide a "home" button so we don't have to go "back" "back" "back" every time we start the application to listen to a different song.
    If you mean going back to the main menu, this is already implemented in the current version of the app. Just back swipe (right-to-left) on the titlebar of any screen to go back to the main menu.
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Hey, I just got my brother to buy a PRE and one of his biggest gripes was the music player. you have satisfied most of his request expect......being able to create playlists on the device. I see that a lot of people have requested it. So i'm just adding our names to the list.
    quick question, went through the thread didn't see this requested already...just wondering if it would be possible to scroll while in the album art view without actually playing the next song, like in itunes or on the iphone...just think is a pleasing feature on itunes/iphone to be able to scroll to see the other songs without going to it. Don't know how easy it is to do.
    I'm sorry but I don't think this feature is going to make it on my to-do list. It seems very specific to your needs (listening to multi-hour tracks).
    Well hopefully more people will see the usefulness of this feature and request it (those of you who listen to long files help me out here).

I look forward to your next update. Hope you have the manual bookmarking feature figured out then.

thanks for all your hard work
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkumar99 View Post
    quick question, went through the thread didn't see this requested already...just wondering if it would be possible to scroll while in the album art view without actually playing the next song, like in itunes or on the iphone...just think is a pleasing feature on itunes/iphone to be able to scroll to see the other songs without going to it. Don't know how easy it is to do.
    How in this accomplished on the iphone? How do you differentiate between scrolling through the songs and actually switching tracks?
    How in this accomplished on the iphone? How do you differentiate between scrolling through the songs and actually switching tracks?
    well on the iphone the song doesn't change until you press the pause/play button (or tap on the song behind the artwork), tapping the album artwork just stops it over there. Tapping the artwork again flips the artwork and shows all the songs in that album...that maybe too complicated.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    DanPLC, great patch of the built-in music player-- Mucho Kudos!

Here's another vote for incorporating the Ignore A, An & The in Artist and Album Names WebOS Internals hack. I applied the patches to the default player but it'd be great to have them in the remix player too! Of course if you're already working on that then just ignore this post...
  20.    #180  
    Quote Originally Posted by odinstorm View Post
    Well hopefully more people will see the usefulness of this feature and request it (those of you who listen to long files help me out here).

I look forward to your next update. Hope you have the manual bookmarking feature figured out then.

thanks for all your hard work
    The bookmark feature is coming along nicely. The only things I have left to do are:

• Create an icon to display on the "Bookmarks" main menu row.
    • When selecting a song on the Bookmarks screen, go to the saved time (right now it just loads the song at 00:00)
    • Currently a bookmark is saved when tapping the slider. But if you're not careful when dragging the slider, you may accidentally tap it. So I think I'll only save bookmarks if the slider is tapped and held for about 750-1000ms. I'll probably also add a "Save Bookmark" menu item available on the "Now Playing" screen
    • If a song has a single-quote, the bookmark save fails (certain special characters cannot be inserted into a database without being re-formatted properly)
    • If the song title is very long, the song title will wrap on the Bookmarks screen (which looks bad)
    • Automatically save a bookmark when the app is minimized. If an automatic bookmark is saved, the app will start on the "Now Playing" screen and resume the playback of the saved track instead of starting on the "Main Menu" screen.