Page 62 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1252575859606162636465666772112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2523
  1.    #1221  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Well if this specific user has a habit of doing this, then I agree, it is his problem. He needs to maintain records of the apps in case the developer decides to update something against his personal desires.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was just wondering if it was your own personal thing, where you utterly refuse people ever using an older version of your app or something. haha.
    I can't control if people keep their own copies of old versions of the app for their own personal use.. I only ask that people do not distribute them.
  2.    #1222  
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey View Post
    I have an issue with album art. I have loaded my music onto my Pre using Media Monkey.

Remix is looking and working great, the only problem (as trivial as it is) is that when playing a song it displays the embedded art rather than the art loaded into the album's folder. Since the artwork filename is determinate (i.e.: albumname.jpg) would it be possible for Remix to display that image in the song scene? That image is of much better quality than the embedded image.

Thanks for all your work.
    The file name may not always follow those naming conventions, so no I don't think this is a good idea. If you want all you album art to appear, you'll have to use software on your desktop to embed all the album art into your music files.
  3.    #1223  
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Love the app...which I use for listening to podcasts primarily. The bookmarks feature is great for podcasts. I thought that the slider would also be good, but it doesn't provide enough resolution for an hour long program. I would love to have a 30 second skip forward and ten second skip backward button on either side of the play button.
    I'm thinking of ways on how to provide fine-tuned skipping capabilities. It's on my to-do list.

1) The skip track buttons are too close to the play button for me. I hit play all the time to start and stop when I get in and out of my car...and frequently end up skipping to the next track instead...which sucks when you are in the middle of a 60 minute podcast.
    I don't even use the play/pause button. You can tap the album art to play/pause. It's much easier to use than the button and would help you avoid skipping tracks by accident.

2) Why is shuffle enabled by default? Once again, very frustrating when listening to podcasts.
    I assume you're referring to either auto-bookmarks (the "resume play" option available when you re-launch the app) or manual bookmarks. For auto-bookmarks, I have it on my to-do list to save the shuffle preference. When saving manual bookmarks, the current playlist is not saved. Only the song and time are saved. So for now, in manual bookmarks, it will begin in shuffle mode. I'm not sure when/if that will change. Right now it's low on my priority list.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The file name may not always follow those naming conventions, so no I don't think this is a good idea.
    Using Media Monkey the album art file names do indeed follow the strict naming convention. The image file is albumname.jpg.

I have verified this with a dozen or so albums.

Example: /media/internal/Music/Willie Nelson/Nite Life- Greatest Hits and Rare Tracks, 1959-1971/Nite Life- Greatest Hits and Rare Tracks, 1959-1971.jpg is an 11 KB 200x196 image file that was automatically uploaded to the folder by Media Monkey.

Perhaps you could do a check for IF the file filename.jpg exists then to use it ELSE do what it is doing now (apparently using the embedded image?) That way people using Media Monkey will be happy, and everyone else can always manually put album art into the albums folder using that naming convention if they desired. The artwork that Remix is showing me now is of very poor quality: low res and full of compression artifacts. (The thumbnails that Remix shows in the artist or genre screen are fine. I am talking about the individual song screen.)

If you want all you album art to appear, you'll have to use software on your desktop to embed all the album art into your music files.
    I am not sure if you read my posting correctly. What I am doing now is embedding the artwork (at least I think that's what the Monkey is doing), but in any event the results are not satisfactory.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Geoffrey; 10/18/2009 at 10:29 PM.
  5.    #1225  
    There are a few reasons why I don't think it's a good idea to implement the album art feature, but the main reason is as follows:

I don't think it should be the app tracking down the album art image. The webOS mediadb service should handle this and provide a link to the album art image. This is the way it's designed today. So any changes to the way it locates album art should be done in the mediadb service, not in the app.

In the future Palm should be opening up this API which would allow developers to create and distribute (via the app catalog) their own music player apps. Each app shouldn't implement their own way of retrieving album art. They should call the standard mediadb listSongs call which retrieves all song information, including the album art link.

In addition to the way they retrieve album art data (which also bugs me by the way), there are several improvements I would like to see Palm make in its listSongs mediadb API call. Mainly I would like to see all of the ID3 tag information returned in the call. Right now only a limited subset of the data is returned.

I'm guessing (hoping) that the reason why the mediadb service calls have remained undocumented/unsupported to this point is that they're working on improving them. So hopefully in the future the developers will have access to a complete mediadb service.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 10/18/2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Thanks for the thorough explanation. I hope Palm is listening.
    I have to say that I have a love hate relationship with remix and music players in general because I like things to be easy and simple.

From my previous posts everyone knows how much I hate not being able to disable album art. I was so happy when I saw that remix allows us to chose background art. So installed a pretty girl as my background only to have her head cut off by album art. Since I dont buy music from itunes or amazon I have very little album art, so I just have that grey thing with the music icon obstructing my background. Really sucks.

So last week I updated remix and behold there is the abc slider thing on the side for finding songs. I literally jumped up and down with the prospect of having something so beautiful and easy. I couldnt wait to show my friends. So I proceeded to find a song by selecting the appropriate alphabet, and what happens? Instead of just playing the song I selected, it swithced to the %$$##% album art screen and displayed only one song. I wanted to scream. So if you wanted to select another song while listening to the one just selected now you have to go back to another screen to see the alphabet again.

Wouldnt it be great if you could keep searching for songs and play them while on the same screen? This must be impossible to do or everybody is copying everyone else's user interface, because ptunes worked the same way and I think the palm player behaved the same way. I cant remember, I havent used it since remix came out.

If I knew how to develop programs I would surely make it so that there is a button to bring up album art and make an option to make the album art bigger or full screen so that those who like it can see it in all its glory.

Another thing, for all those people stressing about whether palm pre can sinc with this tunes store and the other my question is why are you paying for songs in the first place. I used to buy songs for .99 each but havent done so in years. If you know how to search and find the song you want as long as you can play it on your pc then its yours for free. Here is a link: Download Video, Record Audio and Convert Free with Ask & Record Toolbar

If remix developer is reading this, I have donated before and will donate again, but I cant figure out why you do this for free. Why not in the app catalog. I hope all the people who are complaining have the courtesy to make a donation. Expect more donations from me (laingman or rlaing) Thanks for the improvements.
  8.    #1228  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    From my previous posts everyone knows how much I hate not being able to disable album art. I was so happy when I saw that remix allows us to chose background art. So installed a pretty girl as my background only to have her head cut off by album art. Since I dont buy music from itunes or amazon I have very little album art, so I just have that grey thing with the music icon obstructing my background. Really sucks.
    You're not going to get exactly what you're wishing for, but the next release should make you a bit happier. I've made the "default" album art image translucent, so if you don't have album art assigned to a song, you'll be able to see through it and view the wallpaper behind it.

Wouldnt it be great if you could keep searching for songs and play them while on the same screen? This must be impossible to do or everybody is copying everyone else's user interface, because ptunes worked the same way and I think the palm player behaved the same way. I cant remember, I havent used it since remix came out.
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, when you choose a song from the song list you want it to start playing the track and then stay on the song list screen? I'm not sure everyone would agree with this change. I think most people like going to the "now playing" screen when selecting a song, which is why most music players do this.

But for you and others who want to stay on the song list screen, couldn't you just swipe back in the gesture area to go right back to the song list screen? It's really not that hard to do.

If I knew how to develop programs I would surely make it so that there is a button to bring up album art and make an option to make the album art bigger or full screen so that those who like it can see it in all its glory.
    I've considered implementing something like this. So you may see it in the future.

If remix developer is reading this, I have donated before and will donate again, but I cant figure out why you do this for free. Why not in the app catalog. I hope all the people who are complaining have the courtesy to make a donation. Expect more donations from me (laingman or rlaing) Thanks for the improvements.
    The app cannot be submitted to the app catalog at this time since I'm using undocumented APIs. When/if those APIs become public, then I should be able to submit it. In the meantime, the app will be free here in the homebrew gallery.

This app has provided a great way for me to learn webOS development. I feel like I'm now pretty good at it. I've already started my next project and that one is moving along much smoother than the Remix project did in the beginning.

So yes, I'm not making any money on the app right now (other than a few donations), but I am provided with a group of people who are testing my app and providing valuable suggestions on how to make it better. So if one day my app is able to be sold in the app catalog, it'll be a better product than it would be if I developed the app by myself.
    maybe i'm a little dense, but i don't get what the easter egg hints are referring to? (i know what an 'easter egg' is, i just can't figure these ones out... lol
    You're not going to get exactly what you're wishing for, but the next release should make you a bit happier. I've made the "default" album art image translucent, so if you don't have album art assigned to a song, you'll be able to see through it and view the wallpaper behind it.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, when you choose a song from the song list you want it to start playing the track and then stay on the song list screen? I'm not sure everyone would agree with this change. I think most people like going to the "now playing" screen when selecting a song, which is why most music players do this.

But for you and others who want to stay on the song list screen, couldn't you just swipe back in the gesture area to go right back to the song list screen? It's really not that hard to do.

I've considered implementing something like this. So you may see it in the future.

The app cannot be submitted to the app catalog at this time since I'm using undocumented APIs. When/if those APIs become public, then I should be able to submit it. In the meantime, the app will be free here in the homebrew gallery.

This app has provided a great way for me to learn webOS development. I feel like I'm now pretty good at it. I've already started my next project and that one is moving along much smoother than the Remix project did in the beginning.

So yes, I'm not making any money on the app right now (other than a few donations), but I am provided with a group of people who are testing my app and providing valuable suggestions on how to make it better. So if one day my app is able to be sold in the app catalog, it'll be a better product than it would be if I developed the app by myself.
    I think going back is ALWAYS BAD. It is better to have the options in front of you and you already did that with the "NOW PLAYING" button. If the user wants the now playing screen it is right there. It is just more fluid than going back. In my opinion keeping the same screen and putting the progress thing on the song that is playing (you know the blue thing like in the list screen, not the one with the ball) would be better. Also I think that what other music players do is not that important, yours might end up being more user friendly. Engineers dont always get it right in that department.
  11.    #1231  
    I think going back is ALWAYS BAD. It is better to have the options in front of you and you already did that with the "NOW PLAYING" button. If the user wants the now playing screen it is right there. It is just more fluid than going back. In my opinion keeping the same screen and putting the progress thing on the song that is playing (you know the blue thing like in the list screen, not the one with the ball) would be better. Also I think that what other music players do is not that important, yours might end up being more user friendly. Engineers dont always get it right in that department.
    I think most people would think that going to the "now playing" screen right away is more natural. I think people like having all the controls in front of them without having to tap another button ("Now Playing"). So I'm not going to make this change since I think most people would not be happy with it...I know I wouldn't be.

It sounds like you like to choose your songs song-by-song instead of choosing a playlist or "shuffle all". So what I would recommend is you use flylists to simulate what you're looking for. Instead of tapping the song, you'll tap the plus sign to the left of the song and add the song to a flylist. It'll keep bringing you back to the song list automatically. Then once you're finished choosing all your songs, play the flylist.

You had also messaged me about volume control. The SDK does not currently give an option to control volume, so this won't be possible.
  12.    #1232  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyangemini View Post
    maybe i'm a little dense, but i don't get what the easter egg hints are referring to? (i know what an 'easter egg' is, i just can't figure these ones out... lol
    The hints are referring to what actions it requires to reveal the "easter eggs". You'll know when you found them.

If you can't stand it anymore, the links to the solutions are posted in the OP of this thread.
    Just discovered that in the screen with the abc slider, tapping the top bar outside of "now playing" toggles start/stop. COOL
    Last edited by laingman; 10/19/2009 at 06:42 AM.
  14.    #1234  
    Just discovered that in the screen with the abc slider, tapping the top bar outside of "now playing" toggles start/stop. COOL
    Yep, I added this in awhile ago. I always wanted a way to quicky pause/play the current track while navigating the menus. The dashboard is always available at the bottom of the screen, but that involves an extra tap to bring it up.

This feature, and all other features, are listed in the OP of this thread, as well as on the homebrew app page.
    Hello, My computer won't find any of the files with the .IDK. What do i need to do, or what program can i open them in?
    WOW!!! I was able to get file coaster downloaded.......File Coaster is like its own App Catalog, it did all the work!!!! I even have the lyrics for most of my songs!!! Thank You so much!
  17.    #1237  
    Quote Originally Posted by glorycr8r View Post
    WOW!!! I was able to get file coaster downloaded.......File Coaster is like its own App Catalog, it did all the work!!!! I even have the lyrics for most of my songs!!! Thank You so much!
    Yes FileCoaster (homebrew app gallery) is pretty amazing. It opens up a whole new world of possibilities.
    is there a way to turn off the wallpaper feature? On the preferences screen, once you choose an image, you always have to have one. If this is a FAQ, maybe a list could be put on the Precentral info page for the app?
  19.    #1239  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    is there a way to turn off the wallpaper feature? On the preferences screen, once you choose an image, you always have to have one. If this is a FAQ, maybe a list could be put on the Precentral info page for the app?
    On the Preference screen, tap "Color" and then adjust the Red/Green/Blue sliders to choose a solid color gradient as your background. If you want a wallpaper again, choose "Image".
    I love this app (it's what Pre should have shipped with, but that's what apps are for) BUT I really wish the splash screen was a little more tasteful. It looks like a Final Fantasy spell or something. Pre is an all-around tasteful device and I just think it's too gaudy for an app that a lot of people use all the time. The changeable background feature is great, why not add a screen to change the splash picture (if there has to be one).

Don't be mad at me for nitpicking. Consider it a compliment that that tiny little thing is the only beef to be had with your app. Everything else is fantastic.