Page 6 of 127 FirstFirst 12345678910111656106 ... LastLast
    All I want to say is thank you. The Pre's music app is too basic. It's said others have to fix what Palm should have done in the first place.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Can you list the exact steps to re-create this error?
    Sure...

1. Select the Songs list from my Music Library scene.

2. Press the ABC link.

3. Select "D" to navigate to my songs starting with "D".

4. Press the ABC link agaon

5. Select "A" to navigate to my songs starting with "A".

6. Get error message "No songs found starting with A".

And...YES...I do have songs starting with the letter A!
    Finally!!!
    @DanPLC I used this all day and i will say it's a great improvement. went to see Inglorious Bastards at an early matinee so had to get their early to get a ticket before the weekend rush. listened to a couple podcasts. found my spot easily with the meter. Worked great jumping through songs while waiting for trailers to start. A very good start and good work so far.
    I started working on blackmagic01's request to list artists (instead of all songs) when selecting a genre. I don't think it's going to be as straightforward as I thought. The way the application lists items (songs, artists, albums, etc.) is to send a request to the WebOS audio service. In the request, you send a query and supposedly it should send you back only the results that match that query. I sent a "list artists" requests and set the genre in the query, but it returned all artists. So I think the audio service ignores the genre field in the query when listing the artists.

To get this to work, I'd have to filter the results myself by checking all of the artist's songs and only listing the artists that have at least one song with the selected genre. I'll keep this request on the list, but it'll have to be moved back as it's not a quick fix.
    thanks for the effort. I think things like navigation can become a bigger issue when this os is on a phone with a sd card slot allowing for much larger numbers of files, or more internal capacity. Iphone's already at 32GBs right? I'd hope Palm would fix it on their own because when you get to 32GBs of mp3 you're talking a lot of music over several genre's possibly and massive song lists. It renders Genre a cumbersome way to navigate. Regardless i thank you for you're effort and your continued effort. I understand the back of the cue thing. i wish i could offer some guidance on solutions but i know f'all about code. Regardless, you'd think that you shouldn't have to filter the list yourself. That's weird.

As I mentioned in other posts, I'll have to think about how to implement bookmarking, but I'll take this suggestion into account.
    Thanks. though note i think they are two different things. I'm not positive but i think bookmarking means you can either set a spot from which playback will restart the next time you restart a file or, with audiobooks, the player will recogize preset bookmarks that, i think, are already set in some audiobook files.

Me i was referring to a function that, at least in itunes, is referred to as "remember playback position". for clarity he's a brief lifehacker post on the function http://lifehacker.com/262759/set-you...yback-position. Interestingly, itunes you set it in itunes and the function carries over into ipods. So if you set it in itunes when you pause a song, turn off an ipod, then turn it back the song will still be in the same spot you paused it at. again works great for long audiobooks too. Because when you restart it's on the exact word you left off at. Sorry if i'm repeating myself. I just gathered from you're response that you thought they were the same. again great work. It's officially my new player.

I believe this has been implemented in a hack available on webos-internals. So I can probably incorporate it into a future release.
    i think this may be what you're referring to and it sounds like a solution. http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...nd_Album_names

Another word issue i've harped on that may or may not have been fixed is if the tags for a song has data that is spelled the same but one is capitalized and one song isn't it shows up twice. "Bob Marley" is a different artist then "bob marley". "rock" is a different genre from "Rock". Very strange.
    Last edited by blackmagic01; 08/24/2009 at 02:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Great app. This has officially replaced it's Palm wholly developed counterpart.
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    All I want to say is thank you. The Pre's music app is too basic. It's said others have to fix what Palm should have done in the first place.
    i'll echo the same sentiments. Not really sure why they couldn't have rolling small updates. maybe they must update the entire os so it's too much of an intrusion but you'd think they could address such things a lot sooner. Especially since some seen kinda obvious and in my opinion the product of some sloppiness on Palm's part. Like you'd honestly think some of this stuff would have come up on day one when somebody said here try out this music player. Barry Sanders is Dope.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    everything the music player should have been...excellent work. nice touch with the lighter colors too, makes it easier to tell them apart.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Looks great!!! Only add last.fm scrobbling support and this is an absolute must have app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Also, can you save the place we left off when we last used the player?

And probably my biggest request...

In Album view, I do not want to go through the albums by album name. We sort our albums by artist in real life and we should have that option in our music players as well.

Apple (and now Palm) may think that people sort CD's by title but they are wrong. We sort our DVDs by title but our music is not by title but by artist.

Please allow us to view album mode sorted by artist.

- Craig
    Craig, couldn't agree more for the first request--I'd love to turn the app on and have it start back up exactly where I left it. This is the way most of my Creative and iRiver players worked back before I left them all in the desk drawer to play with my Pre.

On the second one, I don't follow you. If you want to search by artist name, search by artist! But for people like me who have literally 100's of compilation discs all tagged "various artist" in the artist field, this doesn't make sense. This is another reason to give us the folder structure view.

Anyway, fantastic app and I'll use this daily until a more full-featured standalone music alternative comes along. Thanks!
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by DonBakke View Post
    Sure...

1. Select the Songs list from my Music Library scene.

2. Press the ABC link.

3. Select "D" to navigate to my songs starting with "D".

4. Press the ABC link agaon

5. Select "A" to navigate to my songs starting with "A".

6. Get error message "No songs found starting with A".

And...YES...I do have songs starting with the letter A!

Thanks! Yeah that does produce the error on my device as well. However, on the emulator it doesn't which is odd. Also, the same sequence works fine (on the device and emulator) on the Artist and Album lists. And the Song alphabet handling code is identical. Very strange...

But anyway, I think I've thought of a way to re-design my search algorithm to make it much quicker and that should solve this problem. I'll include this in the next release.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    Me i was referring to a function that, at least in itunes, is referred to as "remember playback position". for clarity he's a brief lifehacker post on the function Set your long MP3s to "remember playback position" - Digital Music - Lifehacker. Interestingly, itunes you set it in itunes and the function carries over into ipods. So if you set it in itunes when you pause a song, turn off an ipod, then turn it back the song will still be in the same spot you paused it at. again works great for long audiobooks too. Because when you restart it's on the exact word you left off at. Sorry if i'm repeating myself. I just gathered from you're response that you thought they were the same. again great work. It's officially my new player.
    I'm currently implementing a manual bookmarking feature. I already have the code working to save bookmarks, which incidentally will be triggered by clicking the slider in "Now Playing" view...currently clicking it brings up the Artist view, but I've changed this to swiping the album art up or down, which was a suggestion by another person on here.

But the more I think about it, I think it would be nice for the player to automatically save the position of the last played song when exiting the app and then start off there when you run the app again. I think most portable MP3 players do this. I'll have to look into the feasibility of adding this feature.
  13.    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    Looks great!!! Only add last.fm scrobbling support and this is an absolute must have app.
    That's a bit out of scope for this project considering until researching it now I had never even heard of Last.fm scrobbling. But I agree that is a cool feature of a media player.
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    I like all the new features in this app. The one thing I really miss the most is the ability to browse and play folders. I had a centro before this and that was my most used feature in ptunes.
    Great app. I have a question though. The album artwork doesn't sync to my pre in eithe are player from itunes. Is tthere something I have to other than media sync to get the artwork to transfer to the pre?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    Any chance of getting WMA support for this Music Player?

I have all my ripped music at 128 kbs MP3 and 64 kbs WMA. The 64 kbs WMA takes up half the space and sounds better.

Please consider adding this capability if it can be done?.?.?.

Thanks
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinamn2224 View Post
    Great app. I have a question though. The album artwork doesn't sync to my pre in eithe are player from itunes. Is tthere something I have to other than media sync to get the artwork to transfer to the pre?
    Another user posted a message in this thread that may be relevant to you. Here's the link: http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1840955
  18.    #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmin View Post
    Any chance of getting WMA support for this Music Player?

I have all my ripped music at 128 kbs MP3 and 64 kbs WMA. The 64 kbs WMA takes up half the space and sounds better.

Please consider adding this capability if it can be done?.?.?.

Thanks
    The app can only support the codecs available on the Pre, so no I can't add any new ones. But I thought WMA was already supported...but then again most of my files are MP3 so I may not have noticed that WMA wasn't supported. Are your files protected or unprotected?
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    on the fly playlist! must have!
    Hey im not too sure if this is even possible, but heres an app idea.

How about a wireless transmitter to transmit music to a stereo? a while back i had the LG Fusic phone, and it used to have that feature. it was amazing and prevented me from dumping money on wire/cord trasmitter.

Is this possible? or is there certain hardware that the pre needs in order to make this work?

Thanks in advance!