Page 45 of 127 FirstFirst ... 3540414243444546474849505595 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    The reason that I and others click the artist or some other column for sort order is because we want our playlists to sort by artist or some other column. It was not by mistake.
    Oh... sorry I didn't realize that.

Well then hey DanPLC, can the ABC be dynamic and search according to the current sort?
  2.    #882  
    UD,

The reason that I and others click the artist or some other column for sort order is because we want our playlists to sort by artist or some other column. It was not by mistake.

Dan, please remove ABC search if it requires stripping out a basic feature.

The selling point of Remix all along has been that Remix is all good. Remix does not strip away any of your basic features.

If you cross the line and begin stripping out the basic features, Remix becomes an entirely different app.

- Craig
    The sorting I was referring to is only in the song list (the screen where you can select "ABC"). This list will be sorted by song name so someone can use the "ABC" selector to quickly find a particular song.

When a user selects a song, the playlist will be loaded in the order specified in the playlist. Or if the user selects "Shuffle All", they'll play in random order.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    The sorting I was referring to is only in the song list (the screen where you can select "ABC"). This list will be sorted by song name so someone can use the "ABC" selector to quickly find a particular song.

When a user selects a song, the playlist will be loaded in the order specified in the playlist. Or if the user selects "Shuffle All", they'll play in random order.
    Thank you!

I continued testing and if I tap Artists, Albums, or Songs, the ABC button works.

For now maybe remove ABC from the Playlist title bar so that it does not give what appear to be faulty results. The m3u playlist does have the sort column but I bet the API does not provide it.

- Craig
    Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    out of curiosity which software make m3u playlists?
    Click "Search This Thread" for "m3u" and you will get this excellent detail on what it is and how to set one up:

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1921204

iTunes is the most common media program for users on PreCentral and that is what it creates as well as Media Player.

- Craig
  5.    #885  
    Thank you!

I continued testing and if I tap Artists, Albums, or Songs, the ABC button works.

For now maybe remove ABC from the Playlist title bar so that it does not give what appear to be faulty results. The m3u playlist does have the sort column but I bet the API does not provide it.

- Craig
    My next release, which is coming very soon, will fix the playlist ABC sorting issue. There is no need to remove it now.
    My next release, which is coming very soon, will fix the playlist ABC sorting issue. There is no need to remove it now.
    Thank you!

I did not think that it could be fixed!

- Craig
  7.    #887  
    Version 0.9.8 has been released!

Here is the list of the new features:

• When saving an auto-bookmark (prior to exiting the app), save the current playlist (album, artist, genre, flylist, or playlist). When the user restores the auto-bookmark, restore the saved song position in the saved playlist. The playlist will play in shuffle mode. (NOTE: the current playlist is not yet saved for manual bookmarks).
    • Fix bug where notification bar would disappear on the lyrics screen if the display went into power-save mode, or if the display powered off, or if the "album art" view re-activated somehow.
    • Ensure that the last few lines of the lyrics is viewable when scrolling to the bottom of the lyrics screen.
    • When eliminating the "remix" portion of a song during a lyrics search, search for the "(" character starting from the end of the song name string instead of the beginning.
    • On the playlist song list screen, sort the list by song name to ensure the "ABC" search function will work properly. The playlist itself will still play in its original order saved on the user's PC.
    A couple of things: I just updated music player, and I still have the issue where when I click on "Flylist" and "Shuffle All" only one song comes up. This is easily remedied by toggling between "now playing" and the songlist (which brings up the other songs when you return to "now playing"), but it would be nice not to have to do it.

Second, the Lyrics function doesn't appear to bring up lyrics where the song is a cover. Is that something that could be added? Another function that would be nice would be a choice of searching by song title only. I listen to a lot of jazz, brazilian and other songs that are often covers of other artists songs. Both of these functions would be useful in bringing up the lyrics.

Examples of where this would be useful: Bobby Womack's version of Fly Me To The Moon and California Dreamin', Sarah Vaughan's cover of Fool on the Hill.
    Last edited by Adrian_Lesher; 09/28/2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: additional information
  9.    #889  
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian_Lesher View Post
    A couple of things: I just updated music player, and I still have the issue where when I click on "Flylist" and "Shuffle All" only one song comes up. This is easily remedied by toggling between "now playing" and the songlist (which brings up the other songs when you return to "now playing"), but it would be nice not to have to do it.

Second, the Lyrics function doesn't appear to bring up lyrics where the song is a cover. Is that something that could be added? Another function that would be nice would be a choice of searching by song title only. I listen to a lot of jazz, brazilian and other songs that are often covers of other artists songs. Both of these functions would be useful in bringing up the lyrics.

Examples of where this would be useful: Bobby Womack's version of Fly Me To The Moon and California Dreamin', Sarah Vaughan's cover of Fool on the Hill.
    I can't reproduce the issue where a flylist will only bring up one song. I've messed with flylists many, many times and this doesn't happen with me. I wonder if there's a song in your particular flylist that is causing the issue. Can you try to create another flylist with few other songs and see if that works?

My app pulls its data directly from the lyrics.wikia.com site. The only way the lyrics will be displayed is if the artist and song name match exactly. So if someone does a cover of a song, it needs to be listed under that artist for the search to work. You can't just search for song name.

It has to have artist name in the search. The reason being is that multiple artists may have songs of the same name that are not identical. One example is "Human Nature" by Michael Jackson and Madonna. Both songs have the same name but are completely different.
    The flylist problem exists with all of the songs that come up when I click on shuffle. Maybe it has some relation to the software or mods I have on my pre, but it is one which has been replicated on a lot of songs. As I noted, the flylist is fairly large (now 97).

As to the Lyrics function, what if, rather than saying "Unable to find lyrics for this song," the program came back with "Unable to find lyrics for your song. Would you like to see the lyrics for "The Beatles: The Fool on the Hill," Sergio Mendes: The Fool On The Hill," etc. and allowed you to click on the one you want?
  11.    #891  
    The flylist problem exists with all of the songs that come up when I click on shuffle. Maybe it has some relation to the software or mods I have on my pre, but it is one which has been replicated on a lot of songs. As I noted, the flylist is fairly large (now 97).
    Two times before in this thread when you previously mentioned this issue, I asked for some more information. You never responded. Assuming you still want me to help you, please look back at my responses, as well as my last response, and let me know the answers to my questions.

As to the Lyrics function, what if, rather than saying "Unable to find lyrics for this song," the program came back with "Unable to find lyrics for your song. Would you like to see the lyrics for "The Beatles: The Fool on the Hill," Sergio Mendes: The Fool On The Hill," etc. and allowed you to click on the one you want?
    I can't search for just song name using this service. So I can't list other songs with the same name.
    Ok. I created a very short flylist (4 songs), and the problem doesn't seem to exist when I do that. The problem does exist on the large flylist when I select a single song, but not in the small flylist.

As to the Lyrics issue, I see that the lyrics wiki site does allow for search by song title alone, bringing up a page with songs purportedly fitting the search terms. It's not possible to bring that up in Lyrics view?
  13.    #893  
    Ok. I created a very short flylist (4 songs), and the problem doesn't seem to exist when I do that. The problem does exist on the large flylist when I select a single song, but not in the small flylist.
    I'll try creating a large flylist and see what happens.

As to the Lyrics issue, I see that the lyrics wiki site does allow for search by song title alone, bringing up a page with songs purportedly fitting the search terms. It's not possible to bring that up in Lyrics view?
    When I type in "Human Nature" (using my previous example) in the generic search field on the site, it comes up with a band named "Human Nature" instead of songs with that title.

Can you post a link to the search page that allows for song searches?
  14.    #894  
    I created a large flylist. I tried the "shuffle all" option as I added more and more songs. At 49 songs, the "shuffle all" option worked. At 51 songs, only one song came up when I chose "shuffle all". And as you mentioned, switch to "current playlist" view and back to "album art" corrects the display.

So it appears that there is an issue when there are 50 or more songs in a flylist. I'll look in the code tonight and see why 50 is a magical number.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoRock View Post
    I bought this song directly from Amazon.com on my Pre

Pitbull:I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)(Extended Mix)

and it can't be found on the search because there is only this one:

Pitbull:I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho)

Now, if on your SQL statement you can ignore anything in a song after ( or " for your search string, then it would work.
    Now I'm getting this error:
    Unable to par se lyrics - code 101

Also, Is it possible to add a shaded background to be able to read the lyrics better?
  16.    #896  
    Now I'm getting this error:
    Unable to par se lyrics - code 101
    Parsing codes are generated when the song's web page is not formatted in the standard format as the others. Without knowing the artist and song that is generating this particular error, I cannot help you.

You quoted your original question, so I'm guessing you're referring to this artist and song. I checked out that page and it appears at first glance to be formatted properly. Please try it again and let me know if you still get that exact error. You have to realize that I'm at the mercy of the web page I'm querying. If they spit out bad results, errors may be generated. I find that sometimes I get an error on a song but then try again and it appears. There's nothing much I can do from my end. All I'm doing is requesting the information from their web server. My app has to rely on the data they provide in their response.

If the Pitball song is not the one you're referring to, please tell me the exact artist and song that are displayed in the player.

Also, Is it possible to add a shaded background to be able to read the lyrics better?
    The background displayed on the lyrics screen is the same one chosen by you to be displayed on all screens. I don't currently have plans to have different wallpapers/colors for each screen.
    Last edited by DanPLC; 09/28/2009 at 09:58 AM.
  17.    #897  
    At some point if I feel up to it, I may switch to another service like lyricsfly to see if they're a bit more reliable. But in my experience, the lyrics.wikia.com web site is pretty reliable with a few hiccups here and there.
    I think you're right that a song title that is also a band name will cause problems. However, if I search "Like a Rolling Stone" I get this page: Search results for "like a rolling stone" - LyricWiki - Music lyrics from songs and albums

If I click on the first song, I get an entry for the Rolling Stones singing the Bob Dylan song, which contains the song lyrics. I note that lyrics page have a colon in the url, so that might be a way to sort out the band name pages. It would be kind of cool if there was a google like "perhaps you meant" thing that came up with the option of clicking on your choice of options.
  19.    #899  
    I think you're right that a song title that is also a band name will cause problems. However, if I search "Like a Rolling Stone" I get this page: Search results for "like a rolling stone" - LyricWiki - Music lyrics from songs and albums

If I click on the first song, I get an entry for the Rolling Stones singing the Bob Dylan song, which contains the song lyrics. I note that lyrics page have a colon in the url, so that might be a way to sort out the band name pages. It would be kind of cool if there was a google like "perhaps you meant" thing that came up with the option of clicking on your choice of options.
    Even ignoring the artist/song name problem that I mentioned, I'd have to bring up a web browser for the user to look at these results which would be kinda ugly. If they're that into it, then they might as well load the browser themselves and bookmark this search page.

Also, if you search for a more generic song title like "Woman" you get a ridiculous number of results. The song I was looking for (by John Lennon) is not even in the first few pages of results.
    Version 0.9.8 has been released!

Here is the list of the new features:

• When saving an auto-bookmark (prior to exiting the app), save the current playlist (album, artist, genre, flylist, or playlist). When the user restores the auto-bookmark, restore the saved song position in the saved playlist. The playlist will play in shuffle mode. (NOTE: the current playlist is not yet saved for manual bookmarks).
    • On the playlist song list screen, sort the list by song name to ensure the "ABC" search function will work properly. The playlist itself will still play in its original order saved on the user's PC.
    All of the improvements are important but these are both huge!

Thank you Dan!

By the way, congratulations on having the all-time top downloaded Homebrew app!

Everyone, I donated $10 to Dan. With nearly 100,000 downloads if everyone donated $10, Dan would be a millionaire. Let's do it!

- Craig

PS-Dan's donate button is in the opening post.
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/28/2009 at 10:54 AM.