Page 3 of 127 FirstFirst 123456781353103 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pychozoundz View Post
    Not trying to take away from your hard work or anything, but have you seen this thread?
    Blubble's Music App

It's not released, but it to seems like it will be awesome.
    i saw that a while back. haven't tried it. This one i will say looks a lot nicer and that is why i did try this one.
    tried it nice app. a bit of lag after buttons are pressed. love the meters

suggestions:
    1. Sorting fix. Make Genre sort in the same order as my ipod. That is: Genre, Artist, Album, song. The original player sorts Genre, song. then i have a giant list of 300+ songs to sift through and if i want the same artist i have to back all the way out to look for the next song on the album. I really hate that method of sorting. I'd prefer it sort like the ipod and possibly the zune too. A good thing ipods do is stick "all" at the top of the menus so if you want to go straight to songs you just keep clicking the topmost word "all" till you get to songs.

2. save mp3 place. That is, if i accidentally skip to the next song (i do all the time) i want to be able to skip back and have it restart exactly from the point i left off. i need this all the time since the touchscreen always gets' touched stopping changing my song. i'm not talking about making a bookmark mind you, i mean it automatically remembers my spot. That's what my ipod does and i'd hope i could just get rid of it. It's really helpful for long songs, long audiobooks, podcasts, i guess anything but especially long files.

3. Ignore the word "the" in albums and artists. The Beatles shouldn't be under "T"

a nice addition but not something i care about would be the ability to resort a playlist by dragging a song up and down similar to the way you can reorganize the order of launcher apps. like i said not high on my list.
    Very Minor gripe: when searching going through my playlists, a longer titled playlist name will overlap with the "ABC" on the title bar when my songs are listed alphabetically.
    Global Posts
    282 Global Posts
    Awesome work! The scrubber is implemented perfectly! Thank you for sharing your hard work with all of us.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonrellik View Post
    Well, hopefully i can be helpful here to you and everyone on this thread.
    It seems the Pre reads a ID3V1+ID3V2.3 Tag format, the same format that Windows Media Player uses. If you save all your files with this format, everything will show up correctly.

I found this program to be above and beyond all other taggers that I have used. It will also Inject Album Art and Lyrics.
    MPTagThat

Just make sure in the options you have it set that way.
    Under Settings->Tags-> ID3 -> Use Version 2.3 for ID3 V2 Tags -AND- under Update section -> IDV31 and ID3V2

BTW Very nice app. I have been waiting for a slider!
    Thanks for the info. I use Windows Media Player and have added album art to most of my tracks using WMP, so I would have thought the album art would display properly on the Pre. If I ever find time, I'll check out that MPTagThat application.

Adding lyric support will not be straightforward. I looked in the media database (mediadb.db3) and there is no field for lyrics in the audio table. So to add lyric support someone would have to parse the information from the ID3 tags in the actual MP3 file. I'm not sure I have the time or motiviation to work on that.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    This app works great! This is how Palm should of made it in the first place. Thank you!
  7.    #47  
    Neve, thanks for your suggestions concerning bookmarking. For people interested in bookmarking (podcasts, audio books, etc.), your suggestion #1 (resuming at the last track position) makes sense. But for others who are just trying to listen to a random song, it may not work. They would want the app to start at the main menu.

I'll have to think about the most ideal way of handling this. But I'm leaning towards a manual bookmark system. That way people who care about bookmarks can use them and others don't have to.

I like the idea of separating the previous, play/pause, and next buttons.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    tried it nice app. a bit of lag after buttons are pressed. love the meters

suggestions:
    1. Sorting fix. Make Genre sort in the same order as my ipod. That is: Genre, Artist, Album, song. The original player sorts Genre, song. then i have a giant list of 300+ songs to sift through and if i want the same artist i have to back all the way out to look for the next song on the album. I really hate that method of sorting. I'd prefer it sort like the ipod and possibly the zune too. A good thing ipods do is stick "all" at the top of the menus so if you want to go straight to songs you just keep clicking the topmost word "all" till you get to songs.
    That's definitely a good idea and I don't think it'll be hard to implement.

2. save mp3 place. That is, if i accidentally skip to the next song (i do all the time) i want to be able to skip back and have it restart exactly from the point i left off. i need this all the time since the touchscreen always gets' touched stopping changing my song. i'm not talking about making a bookmark mind you, i mean it automatically remembers my spot. That's what my ipod does and i'd hope i could just get rid of it. It's really helpful for long songs, long audiobooks, podcasts, i guess anything but especially long files.
    As I mentioned in other posts, I'll have to think about how to implement bookmarking, but I'll take this suggestion into account.

3. Ignore the word "the" in albums and artists. The Beatles shouldn't be under "T"

a nice addition but not something i care about would be the ability to resort a playlist by dragging a song up and down similar to the way you can reorganize the order of launcher apps. like i said not high on my list.
    I believe this has been implemented in a hack available on webos-internals. So I can probably incorporate it into a future release.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianzedge View Post
    Very Minor gripe: when searching going through my playlists, a longer titled playlist name will overlap with the "ABC" on the title bar when my songs are listed alphabetically.
    Can you post a screenshot of this? I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to.
    This is great. Nice work! Is there a way to include a volume bar? If so, could it be made to go above the upper limit of the side volume buttons?

Thanks again.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Can you post a screenshot of this? I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to.
    Here you go. And I guess I meant it overlaps the title bar in general, not just when it is listed by song-title.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianzedge View Post
    Here you go. And I guess I meant it overlaps the title bar in general, not just when it is listed by song-title.
    I see what you're talking about. The intent of the "ABC" button was to only be available when selecting a long list (such as "all songs", "all artists", or "all albums"). But I realize now that the songs view is shown when a genre or playlist is selected.

So I think I'm going to modify the code to remove the "ABC" button when showing songs for a particular playlist. I can't imagine anyone has a playlist long enough to warrant the use of the "ABC" functionality.
  13.    #53  
    I started working on blackmagic01's request to list artists (instead of all songs) when selecting a genre. I don't think it's going to be as straightforward as I thought. The way the application lists items (songs, artists, albums, etc.) is to send a request to the WebOS audio service. In the request, you send a query and supposedly it should send you back only the results that match that query. I sent a "list artists" requests and set the genre in the query, but it returned all artists. So I think the audio service ignores the genre field in the query when listing the artists.

To get this to work, I'd have to filter the results myself by checking all of the artist's songs and only listing the artists that have at least one song with the selected genre. I'll keep this request on the list, but it'll have to be moved back as it's not a quick fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by neve View Post
    OH! I almost forgot!
    I might be totally alone on this one, but I have to say it.
    I HATE METADATA. PLEASE, somebody design a hack or an app or an option whereby I can browse the mp3's by their actual filenames, preferrably using the actual folder structure. I am probably one of the few people on the planet for which this is a problem, but a lot of what I listen to is underground, homemade, hopelessly obscure files which have no metadata as it was never commercially available to begin with. Or demos of original material shared for review/collab purposes. These all have proper filenames, but no metadata, and hence all appear as "Unknown Untitled". I don't need to organize according to genre, I want to organize according to the folder structure I created on my desktop. One of the reasons I bought this damn pre in the first place was because I was assured I could plug it in and get a regular UMD drive I can drag 'n drop to my hearts content without being shackled to iTunes or whatever. While that's true, I'm a little shocked and dismayed that my only means of navigating the files is by their metadata. Even my little $50 Trekstor mp3 player uses the original file and folder structure you drug into it in the first place. Yet another first born offer to the first rocket scientist who can build this functionality. (Or beers, or the vice of your choice..)
    100% agrea. i spend 5 min looking for tracks all the time because the meta is incorect.
    i mostly listen to podcast & they are never correct.
    also i dj so i have my files & folders correct. i too think it is stupid to be stuck trying to figure out meta data & how to make a playlist when my folder structure is awesome.
    i have over 50 gigs of music & i can find everything on my pc.
    i put a couple of folders that equal a gig or so & i can't find "tish".

please please create a file/folder way of pulling mp3s & i promise i would give a donation to your app.
    wow, i wasn't expecting this (i was waitin on the bubble's app) but this seems like a worthy/obvious solution to the music app problem. Great Job. I guess i'll end up with 3 music apps on my phone, two of them worth using...
    This is awesome. The ability to create playlists is the only thing missing for me. I had a couple other recommendations as well:

Save the position in a playlist on close. That pissed me off the most about the ipod touch. I hate hearing all the same songs over again before I've heard the rest. There comes a time when I have to close the music app or reboot the Pre. I'd like it to resume where I left off when I open it again.

Crossfading and equalizer, removal of dead air at beginning/end of song - probably not something you can really do, but it'd be cool if you could

Preview of next song - Show an "up next" type thing when you get close to the end of the current song. Maybe a popup notification or flash between the current artist/song title and up next atrist/song title. Not like it's necessary since you can go to the menu and see, but it'd look more polished in my opinion. Do others agree?

Also, submit your changes to Palm. I can't imagine anyone would complain about getting a scrubber or being able to search through lists faster. These are great upgrades
    Last edited by TrickerZ; 08/23/2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Addition
    Another thing, has anyone tried removing the old music app (ipkg remove)? Curious if that breaks it. For now I'll just hide the icon, I guess.
    Updated Opening Post with this sentence:

Here is the Homebrew Gallery App Listing: Music Player (Remix).

Congratulations!

- Craig
  19.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    Updated Opening Post with this sentence:

Here is the Homebrew Gallery App Listing: Music Player (Remix).

Congratulations!

- Craig
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Awesome! This fixes one of my main gripes about the media player (lack of a scrollbar). I listen to audiobooks a lot on my way to work, and some of them can be up to an hour and a half long. It's a pain to scroll through them with the fast forward.

The only other gripe I have that I'd love you for forever if you fixed is to have it keep track of your location. If the media player gets closed and I'm in an audiobook, I have to figure out where I was by going back into the playlist and clicking on chapters until I find the one I want. Sometimes this can take up to 5 minutes if I have been listening for a while without looking to see where I am. Basically if it would occasionally check to see where you were on the playlist, and how far through the "song" and mark it, then when the media player opens, it checks that location and if there was something marked, have it load that playlist and start you on the "song" at the proper location, that would save me sooooo much time

Thanks for the work you did though. It is better, and this will replace the default player for me.