Page 25 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1520212223242526272829303575125 ... LastLast
  1.    #481  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    ha ha you should see the look on my face. first, thanks for the response. second, i was with you till you said, "compile your code", and to be honest i reread it twice and on the second read through it occurred to me i didn't fully understand what you meant even before that when you said "web development." But Google is my friend. I get that web os is using HTML, JavaScript, and CSS like web sites do. Well at least that's what i read. But i had to google that other stuff like mojo.logs and breakpoints. lol. but i found the definitions. anyways thanks for the insight.
    Sorry, I forgot I was talking computerese. When you compile an application, the compiler goes through the source code line-by-line and verifies that you didn't make any syntax errors. For instance, if there is a function called GetFontColor() and you typed GetFintColor(), it would inform you of the typo.

But with WebOS development, there is no compiler. So when you have a typo or some other similar error, the app will just do strange stuff like freeze or not display certain items.
  2.    #482  
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic01 View Post
    i could see them being anal about it. I could also see them saying change the icon to avoid confusion. I hope they allow it. It's quite a bit better then their player.
    In my email, I asked them for any feedback on what would have to change prior to submission into the app catalog. If they did accept the app, I would expect them to request the icon be changed.
  3.    #483  
    Quote Originally Posted by pjjohn73 View Post
    This is true, but this is palms app, but modified to be a million times better. So technically it would still be palms app, so they may not. I hope they do, but don't hold your breath.
    I'd be kinda surprised if they accepted it, but I figured it was worth a shot. But I really believe it would make sense for them to offer this upgraded app in the app catalog.

This app has been downloaded over 40,000 times on this site in 2 weeks. So there is obviously a huge demand for extra features in a music app. I would hope that Palm realized that their set of built-in apps was just a demo of what the WebOS platform could deliver. It'll be up to the developer community to really take the platform to the next level with more advanced apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I'd be kinda surprised if they accepted it, but I figured it was worth a shot. But I really believe it would make sense for them to offer this upgraded app in the app catalog.

This app has been downloaded over 40,000 times on this site in 2 weeks. So there is obviously a huge demand for extra features in a music app. I would hope that Palm realized that their set of built-in apps was just a demo of what the WebOS platform could deliver. It'll be up to the developer community to really take the platform to the next level with more advanced apps.
    This is true, but this is palms app, but modified to be a million times better. So technically it would still be palms app, so they may not. I hope they do, but don't hold your breath.

I kind of started this debate the other day when asking if I should donate or see if you could get on the app catalog and I buy it. I was not trying to be negative on last post (see above), just no point in getting hopes up either. I 100% agree with you. I really hope that they do accept it or work something out with you. Palm themselves put WEBOS (their property) on linux and built on open source tools. Hopefully they will see the benefit in letting others build off of their product. Lets keep fingers crossed. If they do I will buy it, if not then I will donate.
    Sorry, I forgot I was talking computerese. When you compile an application, the compiler goes through the source code line-by-line and verifies that you didn't make any syntax errors. For instance, if there is a function called GetFontColor() and you typed GetFintColor(), it would inform you of the typo.

But with WebOS development, there is no compiler. So when you have a typo or some other similar error, the app will just do strange stuff like freeze or not display certain items.
    no need to apologize. i learned a little something. ended up poking around the palmdeveloper forum and pages.

yeah that typo thing reminds me of the chapter in Malcolm Gladwell's "Outliers" where he's talking about Bill Gates and how they used to have to program with punch cards and how how if they made one mistake they had to do it all over and basically wasted 8 hours of computer time which was expensive i guess. but he basically says one of the reason cats like him and Bill Joy, and Job ended up being great was cause they where one of maybe a hundred people on the planet that had unlimited time on these computers where you didn't have to use punch cards. And he had it for like 8 hours a day for years before most people did.
    Sorry if this has already been suggested but I have a feature request. When I download a podcast it shows up in the list and I'd like to have an exempt feature, say by swiping and a delete popup. This wouldn't delete the file, just hide it from the list. Great job on the remix!
  7.    #487  
    Quote Originally Posted by TMan459 View Post
    Sorry if this has already been suggested but I have a feature request. When I download a podcast it shows up in the list and I'd like to have an exempt feature, say by swiping and a delete popup. This wouldn't delete the file, just hide it from the list. Great job on the remix!
    Yes this has been asked several times. Podcast exclusion from shuffle lists is low on my priority list right now.

I'm curious though... I may have asked this before, but I don't remember if someone answered this...do podcasts have a specific genre assigned to them in the audio tag? Or could the genre be different for different podcasts? Also do audiobooks have a specific genre?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    Yes this has been asked several times. Podcast exclusion from shuffle lists is low on my priority list right now.

I'm curious though... I may have asked this before, but I don't remember if someone answered this...do podcasts have a specific genre assigned to them in the audio tag? Or could the genre be different for different podcasts? Also do audiobooks have a specific genre?
    All of my podcasts show up under the "Unknown" genre heading. These are all podcasts downloaded through drpodder.

Interestingly, though they do show in the shuffle, I've never heard one during shuffle play.
  9.    #489  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    All of my podcasts show up under the "Unknown" genre heading. These are all podcasts downloaded through drpodder.

Interestingly, though they do show in the shuffle, I've never heard one during shuffle play.
    On your computer, what genre do these files have?
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    On your computer, what genre do these files have?
    The genre is empty.
  11.    #491  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    The genre is empty.
    Ok...thanks.
    Leo Laporte's podcasts, as well as PalmCast have "Podcast" in the genre tag and does list Podcast under genres. I would assume drPodder locates the files it downloaded by the filename, so using an id3 editor like Mp3tag you could go in and clean up your podcasts with missing info to make the music app cleaner. I have done this and now don't mind having non-music show up in the views.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMan459 View Post
    I would assume drPodder locates the files it downloaded by the filename, so using an id3 editor like Mp3tag you could go in and clean up your podcasts with missing info to make the music app cleaner.
    Correct, as long as you don't change the path of one of drPodder's mp3 files, it won't complain. I would love to be able to set the genre myself, but honestly I don't see that capability being offered anytime soon (by WebOS, I mean)
    Is it possible to pause a song and swipe to the next song and not have it automatically start playing? Love the app but would like to swipe through songs and not have each fire up as they appear on the screen. And I would rather not have to always scroll through in"list" mode.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Most of my podcasts are labelled under the genre. I subscribe to about 20, the rest go under unknown
  16.    #496  
    Quote Originally Posted by smerk16717 View Post
    Is it possible to pause a song and swipe to the next song and not have it automatically start playing? Love the app but would like to swipe through songs and not have each fire up as they appear on the screen. And I would rather not have to always scroll through in"list" mode.
    I'm pretty sure I understand your request...and I think that's a good idea. If the player is paused, it makes sense for it to stay paused when switching from song to song. However, it should not stay paused on the original song in my opinion. If you swipe to a new song, it should go to that song (in a paused mode). I think "list" mode was designed to quickly browse the current play list without having to switch songs. Browsing via "album art" mode is not going to be nearly as efficient.

So I'll add to my to-do list to prevent the player from automatically playing when switching songs after the player was paused.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    when you choose a photo as your background it dosent resize it. I only shows the upper right hand conner of the photo
  18.    #498  
    Quote Originally Posted by cjay4046 View Post
    when you choose a photo as your background it dosent resize it. I only shows the upper right hand conner of the photo
    I'd suggest only using standard 320x480 Pre/iPhone wallpaper images. There are a ton of sites where you can find them pre-formatted to that size.
    Hey Dan, that would be fantastic if you could add a pause swipe feature! Thanks so much for the response! Either way, great work on this app, much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Just wondering whether last.fm scrobbling is still a feature you consider. I think it wouldn't be that hard. You need:
    - configuration of you last.fm account (username + password)
    - call to a webservice with your account data and the current artist/song/album
    More info: Last.fm - Listen to free music with internet radio and the largest music catalogue online

No rush though, I live in Europe and won't have a Pre before it's available as an (unlocked) GSM version.