Page 23 of 127 FirstFirst ... 1318192021222324252627283373123 ... LastLast
    This app is amazing even if it's a remixed version of the original. Palm should have added these functions. I never used my phone before as a music player, the iPod always beat a phone out for music. But this is the first time where I could say I enjoy using this music app instead of an iPod. Thanks for the hard work.
  2.    #442  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mononoko View Post
    I love the lyrics support, but I would like to see it as a visible button instead of in the drop down menu. Not a big deal though. Great work on this, its amazing.
    Yeah I would like to add some way to trigger it on the "album art" view. I'm struggling with the best way to do that though. So in the meantime, I added it in the menu.
    i love this app. great work.. keep it up. its excellent that keep updating
  4.    #444  
    Quote Originally Posted by leoyoyo View Post
    i love this app. great work.. keep it up. its excellent that keep updating
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    This mod is by far the best mod out there...I love all the features you have been adding. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Yeah I would like to add some way to trigger it on the "album art" view. I'm struggling with the best way to do that though. So in the meantime, I added it in the menu.
    this would be my recommendation. replace the list/album viewmode pill in the top right corner with a single pill that displays the current mode. from here there are two options on how this could work:

Option 1: on-click opens a select list where users can choose list, album, or lyric view mode. upside of this method is that it's easier to understand. downside is that it requires an additional click.

Option 2: on-click cycles through the three view modes. start with album, then list, then lyric. upside of this method is that it's about 1 to 2 clicks to get to each of the mode. downside is that it isn't immediately discoverable. however, it's one of those interaction behavior that, once used, becomes clear. this is a better option considering the user audience and would be my recommendation.

incidentally, this approach also saves you some horizontal space since the pill is now more narrow, which will also help with the ABC issue you've been running into. i've been giving that some thoughts as well and i think i've got a workable solution to propose too if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    955 Global Posts
    I just want to stop by and say thanks! This is a brilliant app and it just keeps getting better and better. Keep it up!!

Five stars!
  8.    #448  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    this would be my recommendation. replace the list/album viewmode pill in the top right corner with a single pill that displays the current mode. from here there are two options on how this could work:

Option 1: on-click opens a select list where users can choose list, album, or lyric view mode. upside of this method is that it's easier to understand. downside is that it requires an additional click.

Option 2: on-click cycles through the three view modes. start with album, then list, then lyric. upside of this method is that it's about 1 to 2 clicks to get to each of the mode. downside is that it isn't immediately discoverable. however, it's one of those interaction behavior that, once used, becomes clear. this is a better option considering the user audience and would be my recommendation.

incidentally, this approach also saves you some horizontal space since the pill is now more narrow, which will also help with the ABC issue you've been running into. i've been giving that some thoughts as well and i think i've got a workable solution to propose too if you are interested.
    Those are both good ideas. I keep debating about how to approach this. But it just seems like lyrics doesn't belong as a separate view (in addition to "album art" and "playlist" view). Lyrics are simply extra information about a track so it should be associated strictly with the "album art" view.

Since it's additional info about the track, it seemed to fit on the menu (with Wikipedia, Youtube, and Amazon).

However, I can see people viewing the lyrics more than Wikipedia, YouTube, or Amazon, so it would be nice to have it accessible somewhere on the "album art" screen.

I'll have to think about it some more.

By the way, are you still have the same ABC selector problem (no letters working) with the latest release? I put in code to have it skip over any letters that generate errors. I thought it may fix some of the issues people have been seeing. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has it working now after the latest release.
  9.    #449  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovy View Post
    I just want to stop by and say thanks! This is a brilliant app and it just keeps getting better and better. Keep it up!!

Five stars!
    Thanks!
    I'm not sure if it's a bug or if i'm doing something wrong.

I have an audio book with 24 parts. I bookmark where i left off. Then when i resume and it gets to the end of the track, instead of going, lets say, from track 5 to track 6, it goes from 5 to a random track.

Thank you for this excellent mod, I look forward to many updates.
    Dan,

The Lyrics screen is fine as is. Thanks for the explanation.

"Flylists" twice may have been me confusing it with the "Playlists"...

When I turn on the Music Player I may only want to "Resume Playing" half of the time. That's why I would like it on the main menu as the first option just like TiVo an DVR's do it.

Here is the problem with using a wallpaper and then clicking Colors:

First, clicking colors does not change the screen back to the last colors you have used so it might be hard to see the sliders. Second, if you had Wallpaper, then click colors, then swipe back, it is still left in Wallpaper even though you just tapped Color setup. Solving the first problem solves the second problem as well.

For now please leave the album art alone. And if you increase the font size more will get cut off.

Would you check with Palm about placing this in the Palm App Catalog? This way they make money on your upgrade right along with you. Imagine their profits if they had a dozen remixes to sell. The music player is one of the most universally hated built-in apps. Please at least ask them.

All of us could give feedback to ask Palm to put this in the official catalog:
    www.palm.com/us/company/feedback.html

more to follow...

- Craig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/05/2009 at 07:00 PM.
    Your Now Playing Screen should show off what make Remix so special. People will not dig through menus and may think it is no different than the original.

Three of the strongest new features you bring are Bookmarks, Artist, and Lyrics info. So put those right on screen big and proud (just like Apple does with Lyrics and Artist).

iPhone and iTouch do not show what album. Just press the play list view button to see the list if you have forgotten or swipe back.

Use that space to highlight what sets you apart. Look at what it can be!

One last thing for now. When the notification dashboard is on screen it pushes the Rewind-Play-FF buttons over the time shown by the slider as you can see above.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/05/2009 at 07:02 PM.
    i'm happy to report that the ABC issue is no longer an issue with the new build!!

regarding the album art vs. playlist vs. lyrics view, i do agree that if you look at it from a perspective of a traditional album then yes, lyrics typically go with the album's liner and such. however, with a portable music player, the user's mental model and usage environment is probably a more useful as a baseline for determining the user experience.

the hierarchical and categorical mental model tends to not be as useful when users interact with an interface in a non-dedicated, multitasking environment, where quick is more valuable than correct. it's why we all love shortcuts so much. we all know that logically A should live here and B should live there, but when given the choice of going to the correct place to access A vs going to a convenient place, convenience typically wins. it's because we only want to give a few seconds to the task, and because we have other things to do.

this whole correct vs convenience dilema is a big one for user experience and user interface designers everywhere. striking a balance between the two is not an easy task. the rule of thumb that many of us swear by is to lean on the word "experience" that is part of the name of our job titles. that is, at the end of the day, it's the little surprise and delight experience that leave the strongest and best impression. palm's Music player is obviously unfinished, but they have hit the surprise and delight experience pretty well with the webOS user experience. it's why we all can't stop going to this forum to talk about the pre what you've done with the Music (Remix) so far is amazing and i can pretty confidently say that many of us here feel the same way. i'm sure you'll continue to surprise and delight us.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Those are both good ideas. I keep debating about how to approach this. But it just seems like lyrics doesn't belong as a separate view (in addition to "album art" and "playlist" view). Lyrics are simply extra information about a track so it should be associated strictly with the "album art" view.

Since it's additional info about the track, it seemed to fit on the menu (with Wikipedia, Youtube, and Amazon).

However, I can see people viewing the lyrics more than Wikipedia, YouTube, or Amazon, so it would be nice to have it accessible somewhere on the "album art" screen.

I'll have to think about it some more.

By the way, are you still have the same ABC selector problem (no letters working) with the latest release? I put in code to have it skip over any letters that generate errors. I thought it may fix some of the issues people have been seeing. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has it working now after the latest release.
  14.    #454  
    Quote Originally Posted by Milominderbinder View Post
    When I turn on the Music Player I may only want to "Resume Playing" half of the time. That's why I would like it on the main menu as the first option just like TiVo an DVR's do it.
    I can see it both ways. Some people want it to resume automatically (to avoid them having to click). And other people, like yourself, want to go to the main menu and choose for themselves.

Right now, I'm kinda leaning towards your point of view.

First, clicking colors does not change the screen back to the last colors you have used so it might be hard to see the sliders.
    I'm going to change this in the next release. When the user selects "Color", it'll default back to the previously selected color. The same goes for "Image".

Would you check with Palm about placing this in the Palm App Catalog? This way they make money on your upgrade right along with you. Imagine their profits if they had a dozen remixes to sell. The music player is one of the most universally hated built-in apps. Please at least ask them.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Good job some nice features
  16.    #456  
    Your Now Playing Screen should show off what make Remix so special. People will not dig through menus and may think it is no different than the original.
    Not every feature needs a separate button. One of the nice things about the WebOS UI that sets it apart from other mobile OS's like Windows Mobile is its gestures (such as swipes). For instance, instead of adding a button to go back to the main menu, I just have the user swipe from right-to-left on the titlebar...it's intuitive once you think about it.

I list all the new features on the homebrew page, as well as this thread's first post. I would hope someone downloading the app would read through the new features. And hopefully I designed the UI to be intuitive once they're aware of the features. For instance, to me it seems intuitive to tap and hold the progress slider to save a bookmark since the progress slider represents the current position in the track.

I'm not sure how to handle lyrics yet...I'm taking everyone's suggestions into account and will use those to come up with the final solution.

One last thing for now. When the notification dashboard is on screen it pushes the Rewind-Play-FF buttons over the time shown by the slider as you can see above.
    I'm aware of this; however, I'm not sure what the best solution is...if there is one. Notifications take up space at the bottom...that's a fact of life. In previous versions of the app, I had the time indicators on the same horizontal line as the progress slider; however, by doing this, I had to shorten the length of the slider which makes using it a bit more difficult, as well as making it less aesthetically pleasing.
    This application is by far my favorite.

One suggestion, have the ability to change the Lyrics text color in the preference screen. i have a light tan picture as my background, but the lyrics show up white making it difficult to read.

Everything looks stunning besides that minor nuisance.

Thanks again for your time and work.
    Dan,

Random thoughts...

If you can talk with Judy in the Palm App Catalog, they will let you sell this. The key thing to get them to see is that if they add these feature to their app they make nothing. If they offer it as an upgrade for $5 they get 30% of 200,000 downloads, 30% of a million dollars.

Next, if you turn on the app and Resume is the first choice, half the time you may very well click Resume. The other half of the time you will be with a "significant other" around later who might not appreciate what you were listening to. Resume is a wonderful option but should not be required.

When you turn on your TiVo or DVR, imagine if it just started playing whatever movie you were in the middle of. That is how it was back in the cassette tape days.

It will also take longer to boot if you go straight into restarting an MP3 at a certain spot. You want that first menu to come up instantly if possible even if it is still setting up the grayed out buttons at first.

As to buttons, not every feature needs its own button but Apple is the market leader because they did the research. Their now playing screen has Lyrics and Artist because that was the overwhelming survey results. If you have the choice between seeing the album name or buttons for Bookmark, Artist, and Lyrics, users will choose the buttons hands down.

And users really don't read anything. Forum participants read at least 10 times as much but when they are checking out a new app, they just download it. If they can have those "Wow!" moments with easy to find features, they are hooked.

I can't count how many times someone says, "It's in the Opening Post!" No one ever reads the opening post. They click download and start playing and then complain.

As to the Notifications Dashboard, the only thing it blocks is the time. Not an issue.

Dan, again, I cannot say it enough. You have by yourself done what a company of 939 could not.

- Craig
    Last edited by Milominderbinder; 09/05/2009 at 08:50 PM.
    For three months, my avatar has been of how the Pre Music Player should be.

I have changed it to what Dan is making it be.

Thanks, Dan.

- Craig
  20.    #460  
    For three months, my avatar has been of how the Pre Music Player should be.

I have changed it to what Dan is making it be.

Thanks, Dan.

- Craig
    Thanks a lot for your support... I appreciate it!

I've submitted the app to the app catalog. I indicated in the description how the app has evolved beyond the original app and focused on its advanced features that are not included in the original app. We'll see what happens.