Page 2 of 127 FirstFirst 12345671252102 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by pychozoundz View Post
    Not trying to take away from your hard work or anything, but have you seen this thread?
    Blubble's Music App

It's not released, but it to seems like it will be awesome.
    I saw his initial post last month, but haven't followed his thread. The new screenshots look sharp.

I really hope that someone will be able to create a fully-featured music app from scratch. But based upon my experience, it doesn't seem like this is possible with the current SDK. There are certain essential portions of the WebOS media service which are not accessible if your company name is not "Palm".

I haven't read the whole thread, but perhaps this developer has gotten special permission from Palm to use the complete media service. Or perhaps he's written his own media service, which seems like re-inventing the wheel. Hopefully Palm opens up this service (and documents it fully on their developer site).

So until Palm addresses some of the issues I've addressed, or until another developer releases a more feature-rich music app, I'll keep supporting the "remix" app.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I haven't seen it until now. To be honest, I haven't really thought of it since I don't read podcasts. But for people who do listen to long MP3 files, I can see how your mod would be very handy.

Your wiki page mentions that with your mod installed the app saves bookmarks anytime certain actions are performed (pausing, hitting next, hitting previous, etc.) So does this happen with every single song playing? Wouldn't the cookies build up after awhile? I would think people wouldn't want bookmarks saved of every song they play.

Would it make more sense to have the option to bookmark a song with a user selection of some sort?
    Totally understand. For podcasts, I'd just refer people over to PrePod. But users have been suggesting that I support audio books, however, I feel that's something that a dedicated audio player is better at handling.

Yes, it did create a bookmark for every song, I guess the functionality made it ok, though. You didn't have to resume the bookmark, it only resumed if you hit the "fast forward" once.

You're definitely right, though. It would be great if there was a dedicated interface where you could tap a button to set the bookmark.

Another drawback to my method was that I based the bookmark identifier off of the music id. I've sense found that the music id's are reused (I think they started numbering over after the 1.1.0 update). So that was apparently a very bad way to do it. Who knew?

What I really wanted to do was to use the currentPlaybackPosition field that was available in the sqlite3 table, but as you have mentioned, unless the service gives you that info, there's no way to use it.

Really nice job, btw! Adding the scrubber in especially looks slick!
  3.    #23  
    Thanks for telling me about the music id. That was going to be the first thing I tried. I guess I'll just have to use a combination of artist name, album name, and song name to create a primary key for saving the bookmark. I think the way I'll implement it is to add a menu option while the "Now Playing" scene is showing called "Save Bookmark". Then on the main menu screen, I'll add a new "Bookmarks" section. Also, I think it would be beneficial to allow the user to optionally assign a title to the saved bookmark. So if they're reading an audio book, they can remember why they saved the bookmark.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Great app. One suggestion would be to have an option to disable notifications.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipse View Post
    Great app. One suggestion would be to have an option to disable notifications.
    You mean all notifications...as in you don't want the player controls to appear at the bottom if another application gets focus?

I think the notification area is one of the nice features of the current app. It lets you control the music player without leaving the app you're currently working on.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    You mean all notifications...as in you don't want the player controls to appear at the bottom if another application gets focus?

I would like to have the option to have notifications while I do find them useful sometimes it gets annoying having to dismiss the notification bubble everytime a new song comes on
  7.    #27  
    I guess I never found them to be a nuisance. Notifications in general are handled nicely on the Pre and are kept out-of-the-way. I'd be interested in hearing if other people find these notifications annoying.
    Damn this is what palm should have done in the first place!

A>W>E>S>O>M>E>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess I never found them to be a nuisance. Notifications in general are handled nicely on the Pre and are kept out-of-the-way. I'd be interested in hearing if other people find these notifications annoying.
    Your program works great and has a ton of missed functionality from the original, I at some time also dont like these notifications and while Im playing word ace or other games, the notifications (be them music or texts or email, etc) actually seems to slow the phone.. :S Also...I dont know why and cant get it to do it consistently, but while listening to music through remix and playing games and writing emails and texts at the same time which happens alot throughout my daily life the music with actually stutter which doesnt seem to happen AS frequently with Palms official player..I look farward to your updates... Is the media API just slow as SH** or is the phones 500mhz really not fast enough for the apps..?? :P

Thanks again,

SMKOUT333
  10.    #30  
    I'll try running a few apps (email, text, games) while running the player and see what happens. The only thing that could be contributing to the extra lag is that I update the progress bar, time elapsed, and time remaining at all times (except when the display is off). I can try to modify the app to stop updating those elements when the music app is not in focus. I'll test it out and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm hooked to Word Ace myself...and yeah I can see how notifications during that game would be annoying. I'll add "optional notifications" to my to-do list.
    Coming from the Windows Mobile side of things (3 days ago), I used to use a music application called Pocket Player by a software house called Conduits. One nice feature was the ability for it to download album covers from Amazon to display in the player, assuming the music files were properly tagged. Would be a nice feature.

Nonetheless, outstanding work!
    I'll try running a few apps (email, text, games) while running the player and see what happens. The only thing that could be contributing to the extra lag is that I update the progress bar, time elapsed, and time remaining at all times (except when the display is off). I can try to modify the app to stop updating those elements when the music app is not in focus. I'll test it out and see if that fixes the issue.

I'm hooked to Word Ace myself...and yeah I can see how notifications during that game would be annoying. I'll add "optional notifications" to my to-do list.
    Thank you much, this has replaced the stock app for me no questions asked
    Looks awesome. I will definitely play around with it. If you can get on the fly playlists to work, you will be awesome. If you get more than 8 volume levels in place you will be my hero and I will give you my first born child.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drnull View Post
    Just wondering if you saw my bookmarking patch from back in the day?
    Patch MediaPlayer Bookmarking - WebOS Internals

Thought it might be nice to have this feature in the remixed MediaPlayer?
    I haven't seen it until now. To be honest, I haven't really thought of it since I don't read podcasts. But for people who do listen to long MP3 files, I can see how your mod would be very handy.

Your wiki page mentions that with your mod installed the app saves bookmarks anytime certain actions are performed (pausing, hitting next, hitting previous, etc.) So does this happen with every single song playing? Wouldn't the cookies build up after awhile? I would think people wouldn't want bookmarks saved of every song they play.

Would it make more sense to have the option to bookmark a song with a user selection of some sort?
    This is the show stopper for me.... If I don't have a bookmark capable player I won't DL....(Looks awesome though!!!!)

Right now I have a few books in MP3 form and the bookmarks come in REAL handy.... But as you said it does seem to create a lot of bookmarks with the songs also. When skipping to the next or just pausing. But like I said it would be the show stopper for me... Sorry.
    Still happily rooting my launch 6/6/09 Pre!
    (and my wife's)
    Leave notifications on! I love how it comes up to say whats song is playing. Ohhh and the bookmarks for audiblebooks/podcasts would be very handy indeed. Overall though, a better default music player. The scrubber is simply awesome!
  16.    #36  
    I've updated the app to version 0.5.1 (download link is updated in the original post).

The following updates are included:

- When the app is minimized, the progress bar, time elapsed, and time remaining indicators will not be updated. This should help in reducing CPU utilization while using other apps, as well as improve battery life

- Add a simple About screen which indicates version number

I'll be interested in hearing if this helps with SMKOUT333's problem (music skipping when running a lot of apps and playing music in the background). I tried running BlockDrop, Email, Messaging, and a couple other apps while playing music in the background with version 0.5.0 of MP (Remix), but couldn't duplicate the skipping issues.

However, while the app is minimized, it does make sense to stop updating the "Now Playing" screen since the user cannot see the updates. At the very least, I think this will help with battery utilization.

For the next major revision of the application, I think I'll work on bookmarking and on-the-fly playlists. Listening to the feedback in this thread, it seems like these are the most wanted features.

If in a future release there is an option to enable/disable notifications, it'll be enabled by default.
    I've had issues with many of my tracks not showing the album art (in the original version of "Music Player").

Are you having issues with my version, or are you referring to the original Music Player app?

When I first started this project, I had this on my list of things I'd like to accomplish; however, after working on the project, the album art is handled by the media service, not the app. So without modifying the WebOS media service code, I don't think it'll be possible to fix this issue.
    Well, hopefully i can be helpful here to you and everyone on this thread.
    It seems the Pre reads a ID3V1+ID3V2.3 Tag format, the same format that Windows Media Player uses. If you save all your files with this format, everything will show up correctly.

I found this program to be above and beyond all other taggers that I have used. It will also Inject Album Art and Lyrics.
    MPTagThat

Just make sure in the options you have it set that way.
    Under Settings->Tags-> ID3 -> Use Version 2.3 for ID3 V2 Tags -AND- under Update section -> IDV31 and ID3V2

BTW Very nice app. I have been waiting for a slider!
    Last edited by Crimsonrellik; 08/23/2009 at 12:06 AM.
    I wouldn't mind seeing lyrics support as one of the views.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Wow, very excited to try this app. Just downloaded, will try after posting this.

As for bookmarks, I see a few different needs.
    1. First and foremost, I just want the player to default to the last played track and position after restart. In other words, if I was halfway through a song and suddenly closed the app to do something else, I'd like to pick up where it left off on the same file, upon restart. I could live with just this bookmark functionality.
    2. Auto bookmarking each track not played all the way through. Prepod does this. I've got half a dozen half-played podcasts, which I can restart at any time where I last left off. This too, would be nice. Not as critical for me personally, as I do use Prepod for podcasts.
    3. Manual bookmark dropping.. if I've read the thread correctly, this is what seemed to be suggested by Dr Null. I don't think I'd personally have a use for this, but who knows.. if I started getting into audiobooks, I could see value in that.

Of those three, I am currently the most annoyed about feature #1 not currently being implemented. It should be able to pick the last played track and position and resume that upon starting the app.

OH! I almost forgot!
    I might be totally alone on this one, but I have to say it.
    I HATE METADATA. PLEASE, somebody design a hack or an app or an option whereby I can browse the mp3's by their actual filenames, preferrably using the actual folder structure. I am probably one of the few people on the planet for which this is a problem, but a lot of what I listen to is underground, homemade, hopelessly obscure files which have no metadata as it was never commercially available to begin with. Or demos of original material shared for review/collab purposes. These all have proper filenames, but no metadata, and hence all appear as "Unknown Untitled". I don't need to organize according to genre, I want to organize according to the folder structure I created on my desktop. One of the reasons I bought this damn pre in the first place was because I was assured I could plug it in and get a regular UMD drive I can drag 'n drop to my hearts content without being shackled to iTunes or whatever. While that's true, I'm a little shocked and dismayed that my only means of navigating the files is by their metadata. Even my little $50 Trekstor mp3 player uses the original file and folder structure you drug into it in the first place. Yet another first born offer to the first rocket scientist who can build this functionality. (Or beers, or the vice of your choice..)

many thanks again to ALL developers in this forum.. it's all magic to me, but I'm amazed and indebted to all who have worked to better realize the potential of this fascinating device.

OK I'll go try the app now..

UPDATE: Well, this pretty easily replaced the built-in app.
    The progress slider is nice. (Can it scrub-play the track as you slide it?)
    Also, the wikipedia link is nice. What about adding one for discogs?
    One last thing.. (beggar who chooses).. what about separating the play button from FF and RW? I asked this of Dr Null who appears to have graciously implemented this in his fabulous Prepod. Makes for a lot less fumbling errors by us large-thumbed users
    Nice enhancements, thank you for sharing.. I look forward to future tweaks.
    Last edited by neve; 08/23/2009 at 12:46 AM.
    i'm stunned. stumbled on this post by accident. i haven't even read more then five words. But if i was into that sort of thing i'd kiss you for even trying. can't wait to try it out.