Page 102 of 127 FirstFirst ... 25292979899100101102103104105106107112 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 2523
  1.    #2021  
    Quote Originally Posted by yannick56 View Post
    Hello Dan,

There was a meeting with Palm and SFR at Paris yesterday evening :
    http://www.precentral.net/sfr-and-pa...eloper-contest

And I thought at your problem above.
    I asked a question at Dion Almaer :
    Is the media library API not fixed and stable ?
    and he said :
    Ah, there were bugs in the library.
    The 1.4 Beta release (Palm webOS ?) is more efficient.
    Everything has been cleaned.
    I'm not holding my breath on the availability of the media library API. I imagine it'll only be opened to the public when it's made more robust and more feature-rich. But that's just my personal opinion.

PS : In France , there is a developer contest with
    * first : 30000 €
    * 2th : 20000 €
    * 3th : 15000 €
    * 4th : 7000 €
    * 5th : 3000 €

You can register here :
    Mon compte | SFR Jeunes Talents Développeurs
    And the rules are here :
    Règlement | SFR Jeunes Talents Développeurs
    Dead Line : 11 April 2010.
    Do you have a link to the webOS contest? The only one I found (Conditions | SFR Jeunes Talents Développeurs) is for Android apps.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    Anyone else have a problem with the album art in flylists getting mixed up? There are album covers for songs not even in the list! The playlists' art looks fine.

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    If you look at the number of downloads of free apps vs. paid apps, it's a mind-boggling difference. The crappiest free app will in most cases have many more downloads than the most useful paid app.
    I've noticed this too, and I really don't understand it. I would have thought that there would be more people coming from the original PalmOS community, where an application that cost less than $5 is practically unheard of, and most run at least $10-15. Hell, I paid $80 for one app once. The only thing I can think of is that most PalmOS apps have trial versions so you can check them out before you decide whether or not you want them. There's so few trial versions in WebOS and I know that there are several apps that I personally haven't purchased yet because I don't like the idea of having no recourse if I don't like the app. And yes, there are many apps I've downloaded simply because they're free - if it turns out I don't like it, I haven't wasted anything if I delete it. I think this is part of what's driving so many apps to the 99¢ level. If you buy an app that's only a dollar and it sucks, well, its only a dollar. It's a whole different story if you've paid $20-30.
    Do you have a link to the webOS contest? The only one I found (Conditions | SFR Jeunes Talents Développeurs) is for Android apps.
    Ok, I will contact someone at SFR for an English translation for Palm webOS contest rules.
    When it will be available, I will contact you.
  5.    #2025  
    Ok, I will contact someone at SFR for an English translation for Palm webOS contest rules.
    When it will be available, I will contact you.
    Yeah if you find the web site for the webOS contest let me know.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

6.    #2026  
    Quote Originally Posted by noaxis2 View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with the album art in flylists getting mixed up? There are album covers for songs not even in the list! The playlists' art looks fine.
    I don't think I've ever seen that before. That shouldn't be possible since a "flylist" is just a list of songs that gets submitted to the music player module. It really is no different than any other list that gets sent to the music player module (such as a "shuffle all" list, a list of songs from an artist, or a regular playlist). The album art comes from the songs in that list, so I can't imagine how it's possible that album art being displayed doesn't come from any of the songs in the list.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts
    I don't think I've ever seen that before. That shouldn't be possible since a "flylist" is just a list of songs that gets submitted to the music player module. It really is no different than any other list that gets sent to the music player module (such as a "shuffle all" list, a list of songs from an artist, or a regular playlist). The album art comes from the songs in that list, so I can't imagine how it's possible that album art being displayed doesn't come from any of the songs in the list.
    Well, I'll delete the list and try again...never noticed it before...but I haven't played with flylists too much!

Being me has its advantages.

-- Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    I have an issue and am not sure if it is covered in this thread - when i close the player it creates a bookmark. That is great. when open it back up it starts playing in the same place - that too is great but the shuffle button is on. is there a way to not have that button on? and is there a way to go to the list view automatically?

thanks for the nice work here
    Rob
  9.    #2029  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    I have an issue and am not sure if it is covered in this thread - when i close the player it creates a bookmark. That is great. when open it back up it starts playing in the same place - that too is great but the shuffle button is on. is there a way to not have that button on? and is there a way to go to the list view automatically?

thanks for the nice work here
    Rob
    Yes the shuffle thing has been discussed many times before. It's something I will address in a future release.

I don't think anyone has asked about going to list view automatically. But I think that's a good idea to add as an option for people. I'll add this to the list.
    Hi!
    Nice app, but I found any annoying thing.
    I listen music on ~ 50% volume, but ring volume is 80% or 100%. So, when I'm listening music (40-50%), anybody calling(100%) it's dangerous for ears! It's very loud!
    So, I have a suggestion. Please down ring volume to music volume level with app start and get it back after close app.
  11.    #2031  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shura View Post
    Hi!
    Nice app, but I found any annoying thing.
    I listen music on ~ 50% volume, but ring volume is 80% or 100%. So, when I'm listening music (40-50%), anybody calling(100%) it's dangerous for ears! It's very loud!
    So, I have a suggestion. Please down ring volume to music volume level with app start and get it back after close app.
    I don't think ring volume is accessible in the documented SDK. Any changes I make from here on out must use documented APIs.

Having serious trouble with Playlists...

I've got a bunch of albums in folders inside the Music folder on my Pre

Root/Music/FolderName/Songs and a playlist...

However, only SOME of the playlists actually show up... Is this a bug in the aforementioned Pre library software? I tried doing what you said up this page - go into WMP, drag songs, make playlist, drag playlist into that folder... It didn't affect anything.

I also dragged a bunch of songs out to the music folder (not root, though), and it also did not work.

Confused mainly because some of those playlists are kosher, some are not.

Also, tried WinAmp, WMP and VLC (Mac OS 10.5) - nothing appears to let me add more...

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

(OH, one more thing: Same playlists appear in regular music App, and same issue with those that will not)
  13.    #2033  
    Quote Originally Posted by funktron2x View Post
    Having serious trouble with Playlists...

I've got a bunch of albums in folders inside the Music folder on my Pre

Root/Music/FolderName/Songs and a playlist...

However, only SOME of the playlists actually show up... Is this a bug in the aforementioned Pre library software? I tried doing what you said up this page - go into WMP, drag songs, make playlist, drag playlist into that folder... It didn't affect anything.

I also dragged a bunch of songs out to the music folder (not root, though), and it also did not work.

Confused mainly because some of those playlists are kosher, some are not.

Also, tried WinAmp, WMP and VLC (Mac OS 10.5) - nothing appears to let me add more...

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

(OH, one more thing: Same playlists appear in regular music App, and same issue with those that will not)
    The only playlists I've been able to create successfully were the M3U type in WMP that were discussed previously in this thread. So I'm not sure why some would appear and why others would not. The only thing I can think of is that you may have DRM'd (protected) or unsupported files in some of those playlists that are preventing the music library service from loading them.

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    If you sync your Pre to MediaMonkey using iPod settings, playlists sync correctly and the Music app or Music Player Remix will see them fine.

Here, I wrote a tutorial for this:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...diamonkey.html
  15.    #2035  
    For everyone that hasn't been following this thread and may not know, I have an app available in the app catalog called GeoStrings that allows you to set location-based reminders. Starting today, a free trial version of GeoStrings is available in the app catalog. So go check it out today!

Now, Dan, we need you to combine the two products so that I can have location based playlists! That way I can play bouncy tunes when I come home, 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' when at the airport, and a dirge when arriving at my mother-in-law's.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  17.    #2037  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Now, Dan, we need you to combine the two products so that I can have location based playlists! That way I can play bouncy tunes when I come home, 'Leaving on a Jet Plane' when at the airport, and a dirge when arriving at my mother-in-law's.
    Or better yet, it could play Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" when it detects your car is above 55 mph.

But seriously...I'm actually contemplating adding the ability to launch certain apps when you reach a destination. I never really contemplated launching Music Player (Remix) though. I was thinking more along the lines of the calendar app, or dialing a phone number, etc.

18.    #2038  
    I'm using this space to share my thoughts on something discussed in another music player thread (NaNPlayer). I'd rather post my thoughts here instead of derailing the other thread which should focus on discussion of the app itself.

The discussion relates to why Palm hasn't publicized and released the music library API which would allow music players to be released into the app catalog. Since I have an app affected by Palm's decision, I thought I'd share my own viewpoint on the matter. There are some people who are upset and impatient towards Palm in regards to their decision thus far not to release the API. I don't understand this at all.

As the developer of NaNPlayer has pointed out over the last few months, he has not released his software to the homebrew community because he felt it wasn't ready. So why do some people think that (and get upset about) Palm not releasing their API until they feel it's ready?

And personally I agree with Palm that is not ready. It really needs to be completely redesigned and upgraded to be fully useful. Sure it obviously works now to a certain degree or there wouldn't be any music players at all, but simply working is sometimes not good enough.

Anyone who has access to the pre-release builds of webOS knows that they take special care not to break any public APIs. So they're not going to want to make the API public until they feel it is a near-finalized state. Otherwise they could severely break existing apps in the catalog. Remember, not every developer is automatically given access to the pre-release webOS builds. The developer has to visit the forum and request access. I think they know that not every developer is going to know about this.

So those are my thoughts on the matter. In my opinion, people who are upset at Palm for holding back what they consider to be an unfinished product should consider that just as the developer of NaNPlayer has had the right not to release his app to homebrew to complete it to his satisfaction, Palm has their right to not release their API until they feel it's complete.

By the way, if I were to guess, I bet they're working on a newly designed music library API for a huge webOS release (2.0?) and will work in a brand new music player into the OS. This is purely a guess...I have no insider information in regards to this. But it really would be the smart thing to do on their part to start competing with competition out there (Windows Phone 7's Zune player, iPhone, Android, etc.).

So please share your own thoughts; however do not turn this into a flame war between Music Player (Remix) and NaNPlayer which seems to happen in the other thread.

I agree with you that Palm should get to decide when it's ready to release the APIs. Having said that, I also think that Palm owes it to their customers or community to make arrangements with a company towards a desktop application that will work to sync playlists and etc w/o a lot of fanfare and trouble.

My original MP3 player was not an iPod, but it connected you with someone else's desktop player. The company they connected you to serviced a lot of mp3 players, not just theirs. I know that we find different suggestions from users, but I want a recommended player from Palm that will not be trying to cut customer out with updates. This thing with Apple is cute and okay, but it shouldn't be the only game that Palm recommends.
    Yes, it is Palm's OS so they can do whatever they want with it and take just as long as they want doing so. They can also take so long that people take their cash elsewhere... as is their right. That's two opposite ends of an argument that shouldn't really be happening in the first place IMO.

Media on a smartphone is a pretty key area and, as such, should have a good set of APIs already in place. Hearing devs saying that the current ones are limited and need rewriting doesn't exactly instil a lot of confidence. It's certainly put me off getting in to developing anything on webOS. The thought of climbing the learning curve only to find out that, no, you can't do this, that or the other doesn't seem worth it.

I posted in the other thread asking if there was somewhere someone could put a request to that may stand a chance of ever being noticed by Palm. My guess is that Palm are too big to listen to customers... but you never know. If enough customers ask for improved media programs then surely that has to, at the very least, help both the end users and the devs that make the magic happen. Just so long as we ask nice