Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gregstoll
  1.    #1  
    I just released GAuth, which lets you use Google's two-factor authentication to keep your account secure. It's free and on the App Catalog now!
    My apps: FlightPredictor, LJ for WebOS (LiveJournal client), We the People, Private Browser, GAuth (Google two-factor authenticator), BoardGameGeek, PasswordHash
    Rnp likes this.
    I registered just to say thank you for bringing Google's authenticator to the Palm. Great job!
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the kind words!

If you haven't already, reviews on the app would be appreciated. Sadly, it got a 0 star review with no real feedback...
    My apps: FlightPredictor, LJ for WebOS (LiveJournal client), We the People, Private Browser, GAuth (Google two-factor authenticator), BoardGameGeek, PasswordHash
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Hi gregstoll,
    This looks like a wonderful app, but I'm having some difficulty getting my authorization codes to work. I was able to set everything up to use the 2-way authentication codes, including your app, but unfortunately nearly every time I try to use the code from the app I get an "Invalid access code" error from Google. I say nearly every time because it did work for me once, but only once. I'm afraid I have no recollection of what I might have done differently to get the code to work that one time, so my report may be of little use in debugging (assuming the issue is with the app and not on Google's end), but I wanted to point out that I am having problems.

If you might have any suggestions as to how to remedy this issue I would appreciate your input.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Hi gregstoll,
    This looks like a wonderful app, but I'm having some difficulty getting my authorization codes to work. I was able to set everything up to use the 2-way authentication codes, including your app, but unfortunately nearly every time I try to use the code from the app I get an "Invalid access code" error from Google. I say nearly every time because it did work for me once, but only once. I'm afraid I have no recollection of what I might have done differently to get the code to work that one time, so my report may be of little use in debugging (assuming the issue is with the app and not on Google's end), but I wanted to point out that I am having problems.

If you might have any suggestions as to how to remedy this issue I would appreciate your input.
    Hi Diesel Donkey -

Hmm...it's possible there's a problem with only certain secret keys. I would recommend going through Google's setup process again to get a new key and try that.

I'll take some time this weekend generating new keys and seeing if I can find a bad one.

Sorry for the trouble!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregstoll View Post
    Hi Diesel Donkey -

Hmm...it's possible there's a problem with only certain secret keys. I would recommend going through Google's setup process again to get a new key and try that.

I'll take some time this weekend generating new keys and seeing if I can find a bad one.

Sorry for the trouble!
    Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get my various Google apps to forget the verification code I already got via alternate means, so I won't be able to test the app again for another 30 days (when my codes expire). That said, the problem may have been with my understanding of how the whole 2-step authentication process works. I may have been trying to use a verification code where I really needed an "app specific" code.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Just to follow up on my earlier issue, I think it must have been of my own creation. I think the issue was that I was trying to use an activation code where I really needed an app-specific code. I have been able to use the GAuth app without issue to log into my Gmail account on a number of computers, and it works quite well. Thanks for such a useful app!
  8.    #8  
    Ah, glad to hear things are working well.

There's a 1.0.1 pending in the update queue that will make it update more in sync with the 30-second timer, so hopefully that will eliminate any annoying problems...
    Awesome app.
    Request: Adding the camera/QR codes would be HUGE!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Can you give us a step by step on using this application.
    I assume you first install gauth from the catalog.
    Do you first go to your google account and ADD a Device like "touchpad" and generate that code, then go to GAUTH and create an account using that code?
    Or is the code you generate supposed to go in your "Synergy Account" on the Touchpad side?
    I am confused here.
    Thanks!

UPDATE.
    Noticed that when you remove GAUTH the accounts remain (are not removed by uninstall).
    I deleted my Gmail account off the Touchpad (under Synergy Accounts).
    I removed GAUTH, then rebooted the Touchpad.
    I then signed into Gmail on my PC and setup a new device for 2 way authentication called Touchpad.
    I setup a NEW account on my Touchpad under SYNERGY Accounts.
    I put in my gmail address and the long password generated by the google authenticator, then
    Baaaaaammmmmm (as they say on Trailer Park Boys) it worked!
    Turns out I did not need Gauth for what I was trying to do.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by muerte33; 01/01/2012 at 04:24 PM.
    Just curious if there have been any updates or revisions to this APP from the original source over to the webos devices? Also, I hadn't looked closely enough, but was this an Enyo app or earlier? (I'm assuming earlier since it was created a year ago).

It would be really nice to have this in Enyo if possible. I'm doing some experiments with the enyo system on various platforms and this is interesting enough (since I'm working more on the cloud side than client side) an app for me to want to see it go somewhere :-)

Or was there a plan to contribute it back to the google-code page?

Marcos
    Quote Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post
    Can you give us a step by step on using this application.
    I assume you first install gauth from the catalog.
    Do you first go to your google account and ADD a Device like "touchpad" and generate that code, then go to GAUTH and create an account using that code?
    Or is the code you generate supposed to go in your "Synergy Account" on the Touchpad side?
    I am confused here.
    Thanks!

UPDATE.
    Noticed that when you remove GAUTH the accounts remain (are not removed by uninstall).
    I deleted my Gmail account off the Touchpad (under Synergy Accounts).
    I removed GAUTH, then rebooted the Touchpad.
    I then signed into Gmail on my PC and setup a new device for 2 way authentication called Touchpad.
    I setup a NEW account on my Touchpad under SYNERGY Accounts.
    I put in my gmail address and the long password generated by the google authenticator, then
    Baaaaaammmmmm (as they say on Trailer Park Boys) it worked!
    Turns out I did not need Gauth for what I was trying to do.
    Thanks!
    From what I can tell, GAuth doesn't help your existing accounts sign into google. It generates the 6 digit codes that can be used for websites that prompt for it. You still have to use the google generated password for your accounts.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregstoll View Post
    Ah, glad to hear things are working well.

There's a 1.0.1 pending in the update queue that will make it update more in sync with the 30-second timer, so hopefully that will eliminate any annoying problems...
    Thanks for all your hard work!

Does this app work with Voogle 3.0? I know the app says it doesn't work with 2 step auth, I was hoping that your app was a work around... am i wrong?

Thanks!

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdella256 View Post
    Just curious if there have been any updates or revisions to this APP from the original source over to the webos devices? Also, I hadn't looked closely enough, but was this an Enyo app or earlier? (I'm assuming earlier since it was created a year ago).

It would be really nice to have this in Enyo if possible. I'm doing some experiments with the enyo system on various platforms and this is interesting enough (since I'm working more on the cloud side than client side) an app for me to want to see it go somewhere :-)

Or was there a plan to contribute it back to the google-code page?

Marcos
    The app is both Mojo and Enyo (so it works nicely on phones and on the TouchPad).

In terms of contributing it to google-code - that's a good idea! I've never done that before, but I'll look into it in the not-too-distant future...