1.    #1  
    FlightPredictor 1.4.0 hit the App Catalog last night. Now you can easily email or text your upcoming flights to people, along with their expected status. Download it today! (and of course, it's available for 50% off :-) )
    Last edited by gregstoll; 06/22/2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: forgot to add link
    My apps: FlightPredictor, LJ for WebOS (LiveJournal client), We the People, Private Browser, GAuth (Google two-factor authenticator), BoardGameGeek, PasswordHash
    When do you think you'll add overseas air travel to the capacity of Flight Predictor? Its very useful stateside and I'd love to have the ability to predict my out of the country travel status.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bpetok View Post
    When do you think you'll add overseas air travel to the capacity of Flight Predictor? Its very useful stateside and I'd love to have the ability to predict my out of the country travel status.
    Hi! This is a great suggestion. FlightPredictor gets its data from FlightCaster, so I'd recommend you contact them to suggest adding overseas flights - you can contact them here.

Thanks for using FlightPredictor, and please let me know if you have any other suggestions!
    My apps: FlightPredictor, LJ for WebOS (LiveJournal client), We the People, Private Browser, GAuth (Google two-factor authenticator), BoardGameGeek, PasswordHash
    I recently purchased this app.

I added a flight, and got a prediction the day before. However, I could not get it to update the day of the flight, even after hitting the update (2 arrows) button. Yes the flight was delayed (due to delay with the incoming flight), but the app didn't indicate it as it was only showing the status as of the day before.
    Hopefully it will update on the day of the flight?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    I recently purchased this app.

I added a flight, and got a prediction the day before. However, I could not get it to update the day of the flight, even after hitting the update (2 arrows) button. Yes the flight was delayed (due to delay with the incoming flight), but the app didn't indicate it as it was only showing the status as of the day before.
    Hopefully it will update on the day of the flight?
    Hi -

Unfortunately there have been some problems recently with the data feed from FlightCaster. I've let them know about it and hopefully it should be cleared up soon.

Under normal circumstances it should update when you tap Refresh (as well as automatically in the background), so you're doing everything right.

Very sorry for the inconvenience!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Hi gregstoll,
    Your apps are taking up a lot of room on my first launcher screen these days with both FlightPredictor and GAuth. Good stuff! I'm having an issue with FlightPredictor, however. Normally it works perfectly for me, but I've noticed that it can't seem to find some flights that show up fine on FlightCaster.com.

To give a specific example, today I was looking for US Airways flight 3718 from PHL to SCE. When I searched for it on FlightPredictor, it said no flights were found. I did the same on FlightCaster.com, and the flight was found without issue, though apparently the flight is being run by Air Wisconsin Airlines. I tried looking for the flight in FlightPredictor again using Air Wisconsin Airlines, and then there was simply no result. I got the spinning indicator and then nothing happened. Finally, I tried searching for the flight within FlightPredictor using the By Route search. This gave the same result as the last search--the spinning indicator followed by nothing.

Any idea what might be happening here? Again, I usually have no problems with the app whatsoever.

Edit: it turns out I was wrong to say that FlightCaster.com was able to find the flight via a search by flight number. When I tried that it suggested that the flight might be operated under a regional carrier (which it is) and I should try searching by route. The search by route, as before, was able to turn up a whole list of results from which I could choose the correct flight number. However, I noticed that the destination shows as UNV (University Park Airport) rather than SCE. Given that UNV is not an option in FlightPredictor, perhaps that is the problem (though if I search for "University", SCE still comes up).
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 03/16/2011 at 12:49 PM.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Always love how multiple identifiers identify airports. Like Houghton, MI, which is under Hancock and the identifier is CMX. Logic at its finest.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Hi gregstoll,
    Your apps are taking up a lot of room on my first launcher screen these days with both FlightPredictor and GAuth. Good stuff! I'm having an issue with FlightPredictor, however. Normally it works perfectly for me, but I've noticed that it can't seem to find some flights that show up fine on FlightCaster.com.

To give a specific example, today I was looking for US Airways flight 3718 from PHL to SCE. When I searched for it on FlightPredictor, it said no flights were found. I did the same on FlightCaster.com, and the flight was found without issue, though apparently the flight is being run by Air Wisconsin Airlines. I tried looking for the flight in FlightPredictor again using Air Wisconsin Airlines, and then there was simply no result. I got the spinning indicator and then nothing happened. Finally, I tried searching for the flight within FlightPredictor using the By Route search. This gave the same result as the last search--the spinning indicator followed by nothing.

Any idea what might be happening here? Again, I usually have no problems with the app whatsoever.

Edit: it turns out I was wrong to say that FlightCaster.com was able to find the flight via a search by flight number. When I tried that it suggested that the flight might be operated under a regional carrier (which it is) and I should try searching by route. The search by route, as before, was able to turn up a whole list of results from which I could choose the correct flight number. However, I noticed that the destination shows as UNV (University Park Airport) rather than SCE. Given that UNV is not an option in FlightPredictor, perhaps that is the problem (though if I search for "University", SCE still comes up).
    You know, I flew to Penn State from Philly a few months ago and I noticed the same thing! And then I forgot about it before I got back :-(

Thanks for the detailed report (and kind words)! I'll try to look into this next week and see what's up.
  9.    #9  
    Hi Diesel -

FlightPredictor 1.4.4 just hit the App Catalog, and now flights to and from State College, PA show up. There seems to be some weirdness with the data source, but I tracked a flight yesterday and it showed up fine.

Thanks for letting me know!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gregstoll View Post
    Hi Diesel -

FlightPredictor 1.4.4 just hit the App Catalog, and now flights to and from State College, PA show up. There seems to be some weirdness with the data source, but I tracked a flight yesterday and it showed up fine.

Thanks for letting me know!
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking care of that in a timely fashion. I just tried out version 1.4.4 and it does seem to find all the flights from SCE to PHL without any problem. Great! There should now be another 5-star rating for FlightPredictor in the app catalog.

One question: I have already entered some flights for June that won't have any updated information for a while. I set the update interval to Manual just to make sure that the app wouldn't use battery checking for flight updates between now and June. Is that necessary, or is the app smart enough not to check for updates until they become available one day before the flight?
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    Is it possible to pull flight infos directly from Delta account instead of manually adding them? I am sure if you talk w delta, they may give you access to some API's. Please.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Awesome! Thanks so much for taking care of that in a timely fashion. I just tried out version 1.4.4 and it does seem to find all the flights from SCE to PHL without any problem. Great! There should now be another 5-star rating for FlightPredictor in the app catalog.

One question: I have already entered some flights for June that won't have any updated information for a while. I set the update interval to Manual just to make sure that the app wouldn't use battery checking for flight updates between now and June. Is that necessary, or is the app smart enough not to check for updates until they become available one day before the flight?
    Glad to hear it!

The app is smart enough to avoid checking for updates when it can. It will check once the day before the flight (so it can get the flight data from FlightCaster) and then it will wait until 6 hours before the flight is scheduled to depart before checking at the user-set update interval.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Is it possible to pull flight infos directly from Delta account instead of manually adding them? I am sure if you talk w delta, they may give you access to some API's. Please.
    Do you mean adding flights directly from Delta's info or using Delta's info to update the flight status?

FlightCaster should be pulling in the official flight status, so I'm not sure what using Delta's APIs would gain. Are you seeing problems in particular with Delta flights?
    Quote Originally Posted by gregstoll View Post
    Do you mean adding flights directly from Delta's info or using Delta's info to update the flight status?

FlightCaster should be pulling in the official flight status, so I'm not sure what using Delta's APIs would gain. Are you seeing problems in particular with Delta flights?
    What I am asking for, is all I need to enter in the app is my delta frequent flyer number and my password and it automatically pulls all my itineraries into the app, is that possible?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    What I am asking for, is all I need to enter in the app is my delta frequent flyer number and my password and it automatically pulls all my itineraries into the app, is that possible?
    Ah, I understand. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Delta has an API for getting that information. I'll keep my eyes open, though!