Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    PRovio

OP starts here:

Got my Wowwee Rovio today. It's a Wi-Fi mobile webcam you can control remotely over the net. I ordered it from Woot! for $99.00.

I set it up after downloading new firmware and new setup software. Charged it for a little bit but could not wait to play with the little robot.

I've used up the whole day playing with this little guy. LOL

The best part about the whole thing is that it works great with my Palm Pre. I can chase the dogs indoors all around the house from anywhere by touching the controls on my Pre. I was worried after ordering it whether or not it would work with the Pre as I couldn't find anyone anywhere with both a Pre and Rovio. It has a built in webserver with pages for desktops or mobile devices.
    Wowwee published an API so that people can write their own software for it. There's already android and iphone apps and I know its just a matter of time for a native Pre app. The app I'm envisioning would use the accelerometer as well as use the nifty audio in and out capabilities of the webcam. There's homegrown software that has Rovio spit out saved audio files (pre-recorded messages, funny noises on command), manipulate the various LEDs, etc.. If anyone else has one of these let me know.

Video of web control with Video Quality=Low

Video of web control with Video Quality=High
    Last edited by Mannyman; 11/17/2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added Videos and link to latest API and App
    wow!! I did not know about this!. . . What rock have I been living under?? I am seriously considering one of this now. How fast can it go? Can it climb 1 inch things?
    i want
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Got my Wowwee Rovio today. It's a Wi-Fi mobile webcam you can control remotely over the net. I ordered it from Woot! for $99.00.

I set it up after downloading new firmware and new setup software. Charged it for a little bit but could not wait to play with the little robot.

I've used up the whole day playing with this little guy. LOL

The best part about the whole thing is that it works great with my Palm Pre. I can chase the dogs indoors all around the house from anywhere by touching the controls on my Pre. I was worried after ordering it whether or not it would work with the Pre as I couldn't find anyone anywhere with both a Pre and Rovio. It has a built in webserver with pages for desktops or mobile devices.
    Wowwee published an API so that people can write their own software for it. There's already android and iphone apps and I know its just a matter of time for a native Pre app. The app I'm envisioning would use the accelerometer as well as use the nifty audio in and out capabilities of the webcam. There's homegrown software that has Rovio spit out saved audio files (pre-recorded messages, funny noises on command), manipulate the various LEDs, etc.. If anyone else has one of these let me know.
    what's the url you go to to see the controls, or does it change each time you access it?
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jusegozu View Post
    wow!! I did not know about this!. . . What rock have I been living under?? I am seriously considering one of this now. How fast can it go? Can it climb 1 inch things?
    I was wondering the same thing was a bit disappointed that it is not a racing machine. It's actually a lot slower than any r/c car I've ever played with. Plus I doubt it can go over 1 inch obstacles. It works harder than expected at crossing thresholds between carpet, wood and linoleum flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    what's the url you go to to see the controls, or does it change each time you access it?
    Basically from a desktop it is http://LAN or WAN IP address/ (index.htm); for mobile devices it is http://IPaddress/mobile/index.htm. I use dyndns so I just type my www address/mobile/ to get to it. You can set up different ports if you want with your router etc...

If you like I can pm you a guest login...
    Last edited by Mannyman; 03/28/2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I can't get mine to refresh or run "live".. the circular progress bar stops just before completing.. the display looks good, but the video isn't refreshing.. (still frame).
    I click something and wait.. nothing.. i hit "Update" and nothing.. I hit the camera angle button.. nothing.. I refresh the page and maybe the new frame shows that the camera did raise.. but nothing is dynamic. I have to keep hitting refresh and never see anything but a still frame from the camera.. now this is over EVDO.. I will try it over WiFi tonight when I get home.
    That is so f'ing cool. I'm getting one.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8.    #8  
    @ work right now.
    Will update you when I get home. Depending on bandwidth I alternate between the different built in mobile pages served up by the Rovio. (Try mobile/ds2.htm, etc) I also use webcamxp which can also control Rovio using pan and tilt arrows.
    If these ever go on sale again, be sure to tell me, they do look pretty neat
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    sweet
    Thats pretty cool!
    Can you take a video? I really want to see this.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Must have been my bad EVDO data connection at work.. I'm at home and running it over WiFi and it's awesome. Are you having much luck running over EVDO?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    where did you read about the different html's that are available under /mobile?
    how many are there?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I also picked up the Rovio off of Woot, and this thread might be a little misleading. The Rovio control panel and still-frame photo capabililty can be accessed from the Pre, but not the video...for that you need to be able to download and install an ActiveX control. Unless...the OP figured out another way to show the Rovio video on the Pre...in which case, please tell me! Otherwise, it is pretty cool...except mine drops its wireless too often, especially when I want to show off how I can harass the cat from work
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roymus View Post
    I also picked up the Rovio off of Woot, and this thread might be a little misleading. The Rovio control panel and still-frame photo capabililty can be accessed from the Pre, but not the video...for that you need to be able to download and install an ActiveX control. Unless...the OP figured out another way to show the Rovio video on the Pre...in which case, please tell me! Otherwise, it is pretty cool...except mine drops its wireless too often, especially when I want to show off how I can harass the cat from work
    I hope this isn't too misleading...

There's a whole forum dedicated to the Rovio. That's where I got the info on all the mobile web pages that the Rovio built in server has.
    For mobile devices, iPhone/iPod/WinCE, it automatically redirects to "http://{IP_ADDRESS}/mobile/index.htm"
    This is a stripped down version for smaller screens
    Also a couple of these are new in beta (DS), others have been there, but I haven't seen them otherwise listed in the forums.

/mobile/ds.htm - (Small formats useful for the DS, and other low-bandwidth needs)
    /mobile/ds2.htm
    /mobile/iph.htm - (ipod touch interface is fun to toy with, albeit a bit touchy .
    /mobile/facebook.htm
    from the robocommunity forum
    I forgot to set the video on the Pre to higher quality. Let me know and I'll post another vid...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by unclegeek View Post
    Must have been my bad EVDO data connection at work.. I'm at home and running it over WiFi and it's awesome. Are you having much luck running over EVDO?
    I use stock mobile page over WiFi.
    Over EVDO I use the /mobile/ds2.htm page.

Another tip I use is to include my http://username : password@IPaddress:Port/mobile.htm in the bookmark and launcher shortcuts so as to not have to go through the login page each time.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    I use stock mobile page over WiFi.
    Over EVDO I use the /mobile/ds2.htm page.

Another tip I use is to include my http://username : password@IPaddress:Port/mobile.htm in the bookmark and launcher shortcuts so as to not have to go through the login page each time.

Awesome!.. thanks for all the info!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roymus View Post
    I thought this too, until I tried it on WiFi at home and the frame rate was actually existent.. my first try over EVDO looked like it was still frame because the connection sucked. Now that I'm using Mannyman's ds2 link into the Rovio, even over EVDO I can see the frames change (albeit slow).
    Global Posts
    930 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    If these ever go on sale again, be sure to tell me, they do look pretty neat
    I have Dealert setup, will let u guys know of any sales...

Digg my story http://digg.com/d31Qenl?tto help raise $$$ & awareness for webOS, Palm Pre, HP.

#WebOS Internals "Telethon"#Palm Pre http://bit.ly/7q1Mc
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast