Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Roymus View Post
    This looks great, but caveat emptor: I bought a Rovio off of Woot.com almost 2 months back. The power adapter went fubar after a few weeks, and they have not replaced it yet...they say the part is on backorder. Apparently this is a fairly common problem with Rovios. The company is not reachable by phone and they only respond to email when they feel like it. I'm not saying...I'm just saying...
    True. I've heard the same thing. Maybe not as bad as the Palm Pre quality issues, but I've read some pretty sad tales from unhappy Rovio customers. Always get any electronics from a place you can return it to in case of problems.

I've been lucky so far. So far I've had more issues with my phone than with the webcam. I'm on Pre # 2, and it's already starting to act up...

Is the power adapter internal or external? If you are talking about the a/c adapter that plugs into the wall, why not just go to Radio Shack and pick up a replacement? I was just there because I had to replace the USB cable that came with my Pre. The part near the head of Pre side of the cable came apart.

Manny
    Last edited by Mannyman; 05/31/2010 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Typos.
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    This looks freaking cool but do anybody know if there is something like this that's a remote control car and webcam? I don't have wifi at home
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    This looks freaking cool but do anybody know if there is something like this that's a remote control car and webcam? I don't have wifi at home
    Without WiFi, not sure how you would control it with your Pre.
    Pre does not transmit r/c car radio frequencies...
    Plus you would need WiFi for the webcam, or a very long cable....

Bluetooth maybe?

You could always make something yourself like this (needs WiFi):
    Last edited by Mannyman; 05/31/2010 at 02:57 PM. Reason: typos
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Power adapter seems like it's integral to the Rovio...it includes the homing beacon. I'm not sure if another adapter would work, but I don't want to fry it any worse...if that's possible.
  5.    #45  
    Power adapter seems like it's integral to the Rovio...it includes the homing beacon. I'm not sure if another adapter would work, but I don't want to fry it any worse...if that's possible.
    You have a lot more patience than I do. I'd exchange the whole thing.

Here's a thread where people report good results using a Radio Shack adapter. Pretty sure you can contact them to see if their Rovios are still working today.

Good luck,

Manny
  6.    #46  
    After a couple of weeks of trial and error I ended up paying one of my favorite developers for a tutorial using Provio as the lesson plan.

If you are familiar with Mode Switcher and the awesome Top Bar (Today/Named Pages/Hide Launch Bar) Patches then you know the quality code I got to see created for inclusion in my app by Sconix.
    For example I was not able to do the following in Ares:
    Embedded button in header.

Plus the Settings page was pretty fun from a geek standpoint. Sconix gave me homework such as setting the "Port" text field to start out with the num-lock activated. While I was there I got rid of the auto-caps function as it sucks for web addresses and usernames, etc...Finally I was amazed at how easy it was to change the "Password" text field to a password widget, so that it hides the password once you type it in.

Anyways I know I won't break even; but if any Provio owners want to help defray a bit of the cost and use my app with your own Rovio, here's the Application URL.
    Still To Do:
    Add the 3G scene (low bandwidth) so you can use Provio without WiFi. The scene is ready but, I'm still learning how to either add an additional button or activate a menu from the embedded header button....
    Last edited by Mannyman; 06/05/2010 at 02:16 AM. Reason: fixed some typos
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Manny: I wanted to thank you for the link to the thread on RoboCommunity about the Radio Shack power adapters...thanks to that, I was able to pick up a 1500ma EnerCell adapter with a T-connector from the Shack today (the 2500ma was recommended, but they were out of stock...1500ma seems to work ok though). Now my Rovio is back up and running. I also paid for and downloaded your outstanding app...worked perfectly the first time, and with much better quality than using the browser. Very nice work, and highly recommended to any and all other Rovio/Pre users out there...thanks again!
  8.    #48  
    Thanks, Roymus!
    You officially made me a professional app developer.

Manny

... ...I also paid for and downloaded your outstanding app...worked perfectly the first time, and with much better quality than using the browser. Very nice work, and highly recommended to any and all other Rovio/Pre users out there...thanks again!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    You are welcome! Quick question: does the app not work at all under 3G? I tried it today, no dice, but I wasn't sure if I needed to change settings or something.

I was just thinking...this thing would really rock under 4G. Maybe another thing tipping me towards the EVO...that and the email I just got from Sling Mobile saying they are releasing a SlingPlayer Droid app this week...no word on Pre, but I think not.
  10.    #50  
    You are welcome! Quick question: does the app not work at all under 3G? I tried it today, no dice, but I wasn't sure if I needed to change settings or something.

I was just thinking...this thing would really rock under 4G. Maybe another thing tipping me towards the EVO...that and the email I just got from Sling Mobile saying they are releasing a SlingPlayer Droid app this week...no word on Pre, but I think not.
    PRovio is WiFi only right now. 3G will be added this month.
    My second Pre died over the weekend.
    Hopefully the replacement arrives this week and I can get back to development.
    I don't have a a SlingPlayer but my ReplayTvs are networked to my PC so I can watch/stream recorded stuff that way.
    I have my digital cable box / HiFi hooked up to the whole house plus a home automation system that I control with my Pre.
    I've made myself a little app that tells me what's on the movie channels and also changes the channels to the various music channels I have preset.
    Looks like you've got a preety nice setup going on over at the house. Anyway, I hope your Pre arrives soon.

I'm still saving up to get my Rovio and I can't wait to try it with your app. Are you going to be developing any other apps? That app you us to change your preset channels sound like something a lot of people around here could use. I for one can't wait to get back home so I can set up my home network.
  12.    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrakhalid View Post
    Looks like you've got a preety nice setup going on over at the house. Anyway, I hope your Pre arrives soon.

I'm still saving up to get my Rovio and I can't wait to try it with your app. Are you going to be developing any other apps? That app you use to change your preset channels sound like something a lot of people around here could use. I for one can't wait to get back home so I can set up my home network.
    Yeah I'm hooked.
    I have a whole series of apps planned that are for PC/Home Automation geeks like myself. Right before my Pre died I made an app that controls x10 automation hardware via a PC program that was meant to be used with the iPhone. I've asked the developer if I may publish my app offering him a split of the proceeds.

Here's my cable box app, simple and sweet.
    App Icon
    Nice. Hope to see more of your apps in the near future. How's the Rovio holding up? You should think about doing a small review on your experience with it thus far. I know I for one could use your insights. I'm still going to get one soon anyway.
  14.    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by ibrakhalid View Post
    Nice. Hope to see more of your apps in the near future. How's the Rovio holding up? You should think about doing a small review on your experience with it thus far. I know I for one could use your insights. I'm still going to get one soon anyway.
    I love the product.
    Rovio has a couple of things in common with the Pre.
    1. A small but active and loyal following of enthusiasts and developers.
    2. A ton of people have gotten crappy hardware, that should never have made it past Quality Control.

I've not had any issues with my Rovio, but I've read that many others have.

I figure it's only fair that I've ended up getting two bad Pre's that I've had to return as it balances out karma-wise with my good Rovio.

Manny
    Last edited by Mannyman; 06/08/2010 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typos
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Very cool, want one NOW.
  16.    #56  
    Finally added a low-bandwidth scene.
    This took me forever as I'm still learning by trial and error and cut and paste.

I'm still not happy with the 3G scene. Sometimes you have to pinch zoom in and out for the web action buttons to initially work. If I find out how, I'll replace these with my own buttons.

Regarding streaming web-cam speed. This will only be as fast as the slowest part of your network. You really need a high speed connection at home. If you have a cable modem and access to WiFi at a Starbucks, you should be good to go. If you are on dial-up this app will never work well for you.
    Anyways, enjoy.
    Manny
    <Moved Thread>
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  18.    #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    <Moved Thread>
    Thanks.

Manny
    uhh....this is waaay too cool....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Hi Mannyman - I just purchased your Provio software a few days ago via the url provided and paid for it through my Palm Pre+ account. I'm waiting for my Rovio to be delivered in just a couple days (ThinkGeeks has it for $149 right now and you can use a $10 off Fathers day coupon code they list on their website). Anyhow, is there anything with your software I need to register or setup other than the IP, port, user/pw or ? I'm very happy that you created this for the Palm Pre series - very cool! Thanks for your time! :-)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast