Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By xon.xoff
  • 1 Post By broncot
  • 3 Post By ryltar
  1.    #1  
    Checkbook was never updated after Google changed the API, I want to export my Pre3 data into Google so I can analyze my spending and make a budget for the new year. I've contacted Matt (the dev) who offered to try to get it working with the new API, but he no longer has the software to build webOS packages.
    Anybody able to help rework Checkbook with the new API or show me where Matt can get the software to do it himself?
    Thanks
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    The webOS SDK should have palm-package. That should be all he needs? If not let me know what he needs and I might have it laying around :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad Go using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    The webOS SDK should have palm-package. That should be all he needs? If not let me know what he needs and I might have it laying around :-)

Where can I direct him to get the SDK?
    My gadget list-TouchPad, Pre 3, Pre 2, Pre+, Pixi+, Treo 700p, Treo 650, Centro, Handspring, Kyocera 6035, 7135-all with Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by broncot View Post
    This thread has all the SDK links:
    http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ml#post3443899
    PivotCE has an article with all the links on a Box account too :-)
    https://pivotce.com/2015/12/20/legac...and-emulators/

Last edited by Herrie; 01/07/2016 at 04:38 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Hi all,

I also wanted to export my checkbook data recently so I hacked a shell script which saves all the transactions into a CSV file. File format is the same as the original checkbook exports, so you can easily import it into google docs (or excel/openoffice/...). The only difference is that all accounts are exported into a single file and not split into separate files.
    It will also export all transaction categories, as I wanted to back them up too.
    It might not be the prettiest way of doing this, but it works for me and I never thought anyone else will use it... Now I see I am not the only one who is still using checkbook

How to use it:
    1. download the attached file (export_checkbook_compat.txt) to your device - put it e.g. in the usb partition
    2. rename it from *.txt to *.sh (this is not required, it is just to remind you that it is an executable shell script)
    3. open wTerm
    4. navigate to the directory where you saved the file - e.g. if you put it in the usb partition type "cd /media/internal" and hit Enter
    5. execute the script by typing "./export_checkbook_compat.sh" and hiting Enter
    6. done! - two files will be crated in the usb partition: "checkbook-all-transactions-YYYY-MM-DD.csv" and "checkbook-transaction-categories-YYYY-MM-DD.csv"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    baldric and broncot like this.
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by xon.xoff View Post
    Hi all,

I also wanted to export my checkbook data recently so I hacked a shell script which saves all the transactions into a CSV file. File format is the same as the original checkbook exports, so you can easily import it into google docs (or excel/openoffice/...). The only difference is that all accounts are exported into a single file and not split into separate files.
    It will also export all transaction categories, as I wanted to back them up too.
    It might not be the prettiest way of doing this, but it works for me and I never thought anyone else will use it... Now I see I am not the only one who is still using checkbook

How to use it:
    1. download the attached file (export_checkbook_compat.txt) to your device - put it e.g. in the usb partition
    2. rename it from *.txt to *.sh (this is not required, it is just to remind you that it is an executable shell script)
    3. open wTerm
    4. navigate to the directory where you saved the file - e.g. if you put it in the usb partition type "cd /media/internal" and hit Enter
    5. execute the script by typing "./export_checkbook_compat.sh" and hiting Enter
    6. done! - two files will be crated in the usb partition: "checkbook-all-transactions-YYYY-MM-DD.csv" and "checkbook-transaction-categories-YYYY-MM-DD.csv"
    YES!!!
    That totally worked! I love this community!!
    TJs11thPre likes this.
    @broncot If you are already in communication with the developer, you could ask him what are his intentions with the code. Whether he is willing to supply the app's source to the public/webosinternals/some devoted developer? I am using Checkbook actively, and I would be interested in hacking further the code, but i don't want to bug the developer with further messages.
    @broncot mentioned this thread in his emails. So I came to check it out.

I'm opening the code up. I'll supply the code so people can hack it. I do apologize for the horrendous coding. Feel free to bother me. I may be slow to reply, but I do try to keep on eye on my emails.

Repo information is in a new sticky thread in this forum. If it needs to go elsewhere, just let me know. I've been out of the loop for a while.
    Last edited by ryltar; 01/13/2016 at 03:34 PM.
    horzel, poehoes and tylla like this.
    I just came a cross this looking for a useful app. The sticky is here:
    Checkbook Source Code

Also added to the saved apps list.
    Last edited by Preemptive; 09/13/2016 at 11:55 AM.