1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

I have been scouring this website the past few weeks to learn as much as I can about the Treo 650 since I am ready to buy one. I'm an engineer and I could really use the Palm/phone/email/mp3/bluetooth etc.. combo of this phone. I currently have Sprint and I'd like to stay with them since I get a good discount with my company.

I have found the Treo 650 for $199 after rebates on a couple sites so I decided to check the prices at the mall yesterday. I walked to one of the two Sprint kiosks asking about the 650. The sales guy (kid) was a complete moron telling me that I don't need the 650 and I should go with another phone (right after telling me they have no more 650s left). He said "you don't need that thing unless you're going to use the email and all that other stuff" I'm thinking ..why would you tell me to buy another phone when I'm asking about the 650? He said the 650 is obsolete now, they don't even make them anymore, and a new one is coming out (which I'm aware of). So I told him thank you and walked away while ignoring his last second jibberish trying to bring me back.

I then walked to the Radio Shack store to look at the 650. Two sales kids asked me if I needed help so I asked about the price of the 650. Right when I said that, one of the kids pulled out his PPC 6700 and told me "Don't get the Treo, the Treo sucks. Get this one, while pulling out the keyboard of the 6700." I told him I was interested in the 650 and to please check the price. He instructed his other "school buddy" how to search the computer for the price which he couldn't figure out. After 5 minutes of searching I told them nevermind and left.

Finally I went to the second Sprint kiosk to ask. The salesman quickly told me it was $349 w/ 2 yr activation. I asked him if he could match the wirefly.com price of $199 and he told me no.

I left the mall questioning myself if the Treo 650 is the right choice. I don't see the need for the 6700 since it seems to do the same thing plus it's twice the price. ALso, I don't see the need to wait for the 700 since I really need something soon. However, it seems like everyone hated the 650 for some reason. What do you guys think? Should I go with the 650? Also, is the wirefly website the only place to get it for $199? I really want to purchase from a local store in case I don't like it during the 14 day trial.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the help.

-Andrew
    Try a full-blown Sprint store, the kiosks $uck, IMO.

Also, "everyone hated the 650". Who? Some minimum wage high school kids working in a mall kiosk or radio shack? You're lucky if they can even spell Treo. Again, this is just my opinion.

Since you are asking here, odds are good you'll be advised to buy it, as I'm sure you already suspected. You're just looking for someone to validate your choice, right?

Buy it....as long as you are not a techno-phobe. The Treo 650 does require care and feeding, along with a healthy dose of patience, but there is truly nothing else like it on the market today. The vast majority of issues have already been addressed in these forums, so search will be your friend.

Good luck!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    In my experience, you should wait a little while before jumping on a smartphone. Take the T650 as a prime example. It's now a little cheaper, has gone through several software revisions and bug fixes, and runs much better than it did when it originally came out. From what I hear, the 6700 has somewhat of a slow clunky interface and suffers from similar issues the 650 did when it first came out. Why pay so much for it only to beta test it?
    I have put around a dozen 650's in the hands of low-end users in our business. The only third part apps they run are Docs to Go and Sprint Biz Conn. They have had zero problems due to their lower techno savvey. They all say it's the best thing I have given them.

Of the approx. 75 or higher that we have purchased, the only one's that have had any problems are the one's that keep adding and deleting 3rd party apps. And even those problems are far and few between.
    My friend at one time wanted to get a 650. I checked for her. I believe the online price is still the cheapest. If I remember correctly, the Sprint deal on mytreo.net requires only 1 year contract, which is invaluable IMO.
    go for it. you will love it. it's the best. please don't listen to salespeople who fear technology because they don't understand it. i've got 3 650's in my family and I'd buy em again in a heartbeat
    I am so delighted with the thing that when I see people complain about it, I sort of have to remind myself that there are indeed quirks. I don't really like that I have to keep re-pairing my BT headset once or twice a week, though it takes all of 20 seconds. and there are one or two odd hardware annoyances. but if you have half a brain, enjoy getting the most out of technology and out of what, let's face it, is Palm's fairly exciting s/w platform, you are going to love it. on the other hand, there is the aspect of getting through the carriers' pure greed and the idiots who work in these retail stores. if you have need of GPS, getting TomTom Navigator will save you hundreds off the equivalent standalone device; being able to write text messages with the keyboard is a big advantage; Sprint's relatively reasonably priced unlimited data plan is another big plus.

here's a thought: if you get a "good discount" from Sprint through your company, why not see if you could get a new contract via the same route?
  8.    #8  
    Thanks everyone. I agree with you all about the 650. It has been out for over a year so they've been able to clean up many bugs, 3rd party developers have made thousands of programs available, and the price has dropped significantly. I think I'll take the plunge and buy it despite what those Sprint kids had to say. In fact, the sales kids didn't know I was an engineer actually looking for the multiple functions of the 650 so I'll put that experience behind me. I'll be sure to post after I purchase one.

Thanks again for the reassurance
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rayfield

here's a thought: if you get a "good discount" from Sprint through your company, why not see if you could get a new contract via the same route?
    Their contract price for the 650 is actually higher than wirefly.com I think the only perk is the monthly discount.
    IF you have discount with your company, you can get the deal from outside frist and call their corperate line and ask them to put discount on your account.

My company has discount with Cingular, Sprint and Verizon. They should all work.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    IF you have discount with your company, you can get the deal from outside frist and call their corperate line and ask them to put discount on your account.

My company has discount with Cingular, Sprint and Verizon. They should all work.
    Not sure I understand what you mean.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I switched to Cingular and got the Palm Treo 650 for $139.00 on line. It was a reman , but when it came in the mail it looks brand spankin new. Very happy with decision
    I would also recommend going to a 'full-size' Sprint store (or other competetor). Those kiosks have yesterday's pizza delivery guy working them, and tomorrow it will be the guy who flipped today's burger...that is...if the kiosk is still there tomorrow.

Also, not sure how many Treo's Radio Shack sells.

Go to a 'big' cellphone-only store for best results on any inquiries about the high-end equipment.

Btw, the 6700 does look like a nice piece of gear, but nothing beats the simplicity, functionality, & software apps of the Treo IMO.

Edit: Btw, no offense to anyone employed at a kiosk it's just that in my local mall, by the time you walk from one end of the mall to the other & back, a cellphone kiosk is now a necklace or calandar kiosk.
    Last edited by tbone-Ike; 11/14/2005 at 07:41 AM.
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    I really like Sprint. I had the Treo 600 w/replacement plan... Now, they replaced w/Treo 650.

This phone meets ALL of my needs, PHONE/PDA/GAMEBOY/WEB ETC ETC
    Sprint online lists for $199.00 great price.... I paid 399.00 through Sprint for my first Treo 600.
    i'm actually reponding on my 650. i've tried quite a few smart phone and am happiest with my choice. I don't consider myself a power user. I use it for the internet, email and to sync with my outlook calender at work..i love it and usually look to upgrade my phone just to get a new cool one...i think I'm going to hang onto this one for a while
    As anticipated for the tendency of answers to your question, I will also add a 'go ahead' or 'what are you waiting for'!!!

Treo is the best convergence device on the market now and I see that will continue to be the same as it evolves with new models. So, invest with right decision, benefit and enjoy it already and change to upgrade with newer ones in the future, instead of jumping from one brand / system to another.

The ones who mock Treo are with least or no knowledge about what you can do with this.
    Employee Discounts
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidsords
    Not sure I understand what you mean.
    Maybe I shouldn't be speaking for another, but I think what whatever7 means is when you're signing up, tell Sprint (or whichever service provider you decide on) who your employer is and ask if you can receive a discount because of that. Apparently my employer is a Sprint customer and as a result of me asking about employee discounts, I know receive 14% off my monthly bill before taxes.
    There is a guy on ebay that sells the 650 with a 2 year contract for $95. It is a wholesale Sprint distributor and the transaction went fine. Brand new not refurbed.
    They said they have dropped the price from 180 to 144 to 94 in the last month as they get ready to sell the 700 in the next months.

He has a 99.7% positive feedback. Check it out. No affiliation yada yada...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HANDSPRING-T...QQcmdZViewItem