Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rctoyguy
    thanks...

SMS messaging is what phones like my trusty old LG 4400 does... sort of an e-mail without an email address kind of thing that you either pay per message or pay for a "group" of 20, 50, whatever per month.

I guess the new phones should be backward compatible, but I don't really see any big use for this.
    No big use for SMS? When I first started txting, not all of my friends used it, but now everyone of my friends send txts. SMS can be used in situations where you can't use a phone, like in meetings, bathrooms, etc. The Treo's keyboard makes it really easy to send them too.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    I use SMS on a daily basis, mostly for communicating with my wife. I love it!

We communicate throughout the day, while at work, very quickly and discretely using sms. We've both entered quite a few custom 'quick txts' and even when we want to talk, we'll send a "call me when you can" sms first.

I send sms to some friends as well, most who didn't use it before & now I see their using sms themselves
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
  3.    #23  
    OK - maybe it IS something I might use (since I might have to wait a month or two to add the data package) - gotta check Cingular's site for cost per SMS message and see about adding that to my plan instead of the data for now.

*edit
    Text Messaging (is that SMS?)
    Multimedia Messaging (is that SMS with pictures?)
    Like someone mentioned - almost any cellphone nowdays is sms capable. I sent one to a fellow musician a few weeks ago who's mobile number I had. She was so excited when she saw me later in the week because she didn't even realize she could txt with her phone
    -jeff

OK - maybe it IS something I might use (since I might have to wait a month or two to add the data package) - gotta check Cingular's site for cost per SMS message and see about adding that to my plan instead of the data for now.

*edit
    Text Messaging (is that SMS?)
    Multimedia Messaging (is that SMS with pictures?)
    Yes, text messaging is SMS. Yes, multimedia messaging is SMS with pictures, or MMS.

I hope you don't feel like you're being ganged up on, but SMS is a viable method of quick communication, especially with the Treo's keyboard. I didn't use it as much when I was stuck with T9 input, but having the keyboard makes it very easy and convenient, moreso at times than actually having a conversation. Nothing's easier than sending a quick SMS when you can't really talk.

I think that as you use your Treo more and more, you'll find that SMS is a really useful tool. You should also look for Verichat, which allows you to use all of the major IM protocols in one application from your Treo.
    I'm back!
    No Im sure no one was offended.

I prefer SMS over email and voice calls. Even though I use Chatter which is unbelievably, quick, easy, push email,,, SMS is just more convenient to chat. I wish people would stop calling me unless they absolutely had to....

The treo does an awesome job of displaying SMS you'll love it
    To me there's always some "political protocol" associated with phone calls which make them last longer. IE, I needed a phone number from a friend recently. If I had called him, our conversation would have undoubdetly and inevitably lasted 10 minutes or so. Instead I sent him an sms & he quickly replied with the needed info.

Don't get me wrong, I want to call & chat with him & have since; I just didn't have the time when I needed the info.
    -jeff

8.    #28  
    Thanks for the info guys - (and gals?) - You might have converted me. I assumed e-mail would be the better way to do all of the things mentioned, but I guess I can see some advantages to SMS in some situations.

I do quite a bit with Instant Messenger too, but people don't always have IM running.

Jeff - a possible SMS convert
    Thanks for the info guys - (and gals?) - You might have converted me. I assumed e-mail would be the better way to do all of the things mentioned, but I guess I can see some advantages to SMS in some situations.

I do quite a bit with Instant Messenger too, but people don't always have IM running.

Jeff - a possible SMS convert
    Just a little note to explain why all this seems so strange to me ( And I expect the same for everybody living in the old world).

Since the times of my first GSM phone 1995 (yes, ten years ago here in Italy 1 out of 10 people had a mobile...most of it not gsm at that time) every phone sold had SMS text capability. More than that in Italy we didn't ever had a plan without SMS. Every SIM card, and believe me here you can find people selling them anywhere, has sms capability activated by default.

At that time there was no mail capability in any mobile phone on the market, but even the internet was not so available in Italy except for nerds and sometime universities.

I think the most important thing about SMS (as it is implemented here in Europe) is that it is really ISTANT Message, delivered as soon as it is sent (if the recipient is switched on).

An example of how we use it: my car (that has an alarm with a SIM Card embedded) send me an sms if it is started without proper authorization (actually a token in my pocket) with the GPS coordinates of it's position.

If I forgot the token I can send an SMS to the car from my mobile with the unlock code.

Just to let you know... as for now in Italy there are something like 11 or 12 SIM card for every 10 people (yes with childs and elderly people too) because everybody has more than one SIM and more than one phone often.

Ciao

Ettore
    Ciao

Ettore
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettore
    An example of how we use it: my car (that has an alarm with a SIM Card embedded) send me an sms if it is started without proper authorization (actually a token in my pocket) with the GPS coordinates of it's position.

If I forgot the token I can send an SMS to the car from my mobile with the unlock code.
    Very cool. I'd like to have something similar at home. I'd like to get a message if there's no electrical power there because no power during a rain storm means a flooded basement. Is that possible to set up?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    You should also look for Verichat, which allows you to use all of the major IM protocols in one application from your Treo.
    I'm using Messaging v.2.0 on the Treo and like it, but my free one month trial period with Sprint is ending soon. I'm wondering, is there anyway for me to continue messaging for free using this app and a different channel, or some other means instead of paying 10 cents per message or $15/mon unlimited?

Would Verichat do the job? Someone suggested AIM to me. Does that allow SMS to phones or only to PCs running AIM?
    I think that you need an UPS for that, and set an alarm when the line drops. I have not made a search, but I think something exist to send an sms, beside here we have sms notification of incoming mail, so just a mail sent to the right address could do the job.
    Ciao

Ettore
    So not to beat a dead horse here, but is it possible to send a pic using SMS? I have a Treo 650 w/ earthlink as a provider - I can't seem to find how to send a picture to someones phone??? Any Help?
    Quote Originally Posted by ksteele
    So not to beat a dead horse here, but is it possible to send a pic using SMS? I have a Treo 650 w/ earthlink as a provider - I can't seem to find how to send a picture to someones phone??? Any Help?
    Hi, in GSM you can send text through SMS and text and/or AUDIO And images AND/OR Video through MMS.
    Ciao

Ettore
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12