1.    #1  
    Well I've been coming here for a while now and just reading. I decided to join. I love this forum. Yesterday I encountered the dreaded "Faulty Hinge" on my Treo 300. I only owned it for about 9 months, but I loved it. I have Sprint so I took it into the store for repair, but of course they are not repairing 300's anymore so I walked out with a reciept for a 600 that should be in sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm looking forward to the 600. There seems to be a lot of good information on this site so I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise on essential accesories. I have a car charger, but I am trying to determine what kind of case I should get. Also what are some really good things to do with the 600. I already know I'm going to get DA....thats a given can't live without it. Also do all 600's have a camera?
    The 650 is my first Treo model. . . .

My concern for you is the method of upgrade from a 300 to a 600. (Can you just hotsync to your 300's userid and be on your way?) This does not work when going from a 600 to a 650. The 650 chokes on prior software settings being brought forward in this manner.

Anyone know the quick answer to this?

Apostlelx: please research this aspect of starting off with your 600. An ounce of pervention is worth a pound of . . . . . .

However, a clean install is never a bad thing. . . . .

Do a last hot sync with your 300 and then follow these clean install instructions:

Rename your backup folder on your PC to backupold
    (Programs>Palm>userid>backup to backupold)
    (Hopefully that's the path that Handspring used, but you get the idea.)
    (The backup folder houses the 3rd party software you have installed in case a back up from a hard reset is necessary -- renaming the folder takes it out of the loop.)
    Hot Sync the 600 to your userid.
    You should have a clean Treo 600 with only your PIM data brought back from the 300.
    (PIM = appointments, memos, tasks, contacts)
    Now install your desired 3rd party software fresh onto the 600 -- NOT from a backup!
    When you Hot Sync again, a new backup folder is created, with the freshly installed 3rd party software backed up.)

You should be good to go. (Do not HotSync the 300 to this userid again -- that will mess things up.)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/11/2005 at 01:28 PM.
    There should be no problem restoring the 300 apps to the 600. Going from a 600 to a 650 was a problem due to the addition of the non-volatile flash memory and changes in the file system.
    Also, accessories connecting to the bottom port of the 300 will work on the 600.
    The best advice for apostlelx is to skim the Treo 600 forum here.
    Zane
    Also look into an IM app....I can't live without it now.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the info. I heard that the 300 and 600 are very compatible. As a matter of fact my car charger is for a 600 but I bought it for my treo 300. I have been using Verichat for IM. so far I'm very please with it. I'll continue skimming the boards. I just want to get an Idea on the major differences between the 600 and 300. I also want a decent case for it. I have bought a couple in the past that I wasn't pleased with at all and they are not cheap.
    Everyone has their own favorite case, but, of course, I think mine is the best. It is the Covertec horizontal case http://store.treocentral.com/content...s/4-25--19.htm. It is stiff enough to protect your Treo, insertion and removal is very easy, and the built-in clip works with and without a belt on. The clip does not stick out like so many others.
    I have tried other cases, but I keep coming back to this one.
    Zane