Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Don't know about you guys, but I think my Treo 650 may be the last Palm device I own. Dumped too much into software but I'll be damned if I invest in a whole new phone and hardware (you know it's going to happen again) in light of this:

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051109-5544.html

The letter is posted here on Treocentral at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/706-1.htm

From the way it looks to me, Palm is just a few swings away from the count but you know the KO is coming... does not look good for your CEO to be saying those things...
    I read the first link...I'm not so sure that we won't see a new Treo running palm X. Palm has a solid place in the market. Has their OS dipped off a little? Sure. But I think it's a double-edged sword for palm to support multiple OS's. First, it allows them to make another phone. Who is it targeted towards? Are those people coming from the devoted palms os following? Not likely. Can it be very profitable for palm? Sure. I don't blame them. When Perry changes his mind, so will I :-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I am looking forward to the Treo 700p. The Treo 650 is awesome, I am sure they will make it a worthy upgrade.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I am looking forward to the Treo 700p. The Treo 650 is awesome, I am sure they will make it a worthy upgrade.
    1.3mp cam, wifi (at least card support), evdo, bt 1.2 will make it the best out there.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    1.3mp cam, wifi (at least card support), evdo, bt 1.2 will make it the best out there.

Can it be very profitable for palm? Sure. I don't blame them. When Perry changes his mind, so will I :-)
    LOL
    i'm with you slinky. i'm not going to invest in another unit anytime soon. i've invested too much money in my 650. I won't upgrade at least for another couple of years. I don't feel like dishing out $650.00 every time a new treo comes out. i'm going to use my 650 as long as possible. since I have insurance maybe i'll never actually buy another unit. maybe if my 650 breaks down in a couple of years the 650 won't be available and they'll have to send me an upgrade
    (In response to a portion of the technica article.)
    I always enjoy the market share analysis that shows Palm's dwindling market share in "SmartPhones." They need a new category. . . Treo's are not smartphones . . Treos are a handheld computers with a phone inside. Yes -- Pocket PCs have ramped up in share -- but please do not lump these two product lines in with phones that have a task list and a calendar function.

Sure, orange juice consumption is dwindling, if you lump soft drinks into the category. . . .

There, I vented.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/11/2005 at 07:27 AM.
    I see absolutely NO reason why the next POS Treo will not have those specs. They are the absolute minimum one would expect in 2006 in any case. The question, Will it have anything special (as some-one present in this thread alluded to) such as WIFI built-in, or GPS, or large amounts of storage.

Speculation time - the Hollywood POS phone will have a 4GB storage. Knowing Palm, this will be a microdrive like the lifedrive. If Palm was wiser, it will be 4GB NAND, like the Ipod Nano. It will be media orientated (movies and music) like most new devices recently.

Any takers?

Surur
    I think Palm will configure the memory to the "base" user -- probably 32mb again or 64mb. (Although, I would say 64mb should be that "base" amount.) If you want video, music or data storage or tons of 3rd party software -- buy a 4GB SD card.

Sounds harsh -- but to keep the retail down -- let the power users pay for what they want to add -- not all users.

(Duck Perry!! I can hear the incoming mortar shells now. . . . .)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    ...Speculation time - the Hollywood POS phone will have a 4GB storage. Knowing Palm, this will be a microdrive like the lifedrive. If Palm was wiser, it will be 4GB NAND, like the Ipod Nano. It will be media orientated (movies and music) like most new devices recently.

Any takers?

Surur
    On of those rare times with 100% agreement. Ultraportable devices (anything PDA size or smaller) SHOULD NOT have mechanical hard drives. If there is one thing that is a certainty (up there with death and taxes) is that HARD DRIVES FAIL. A fall that doesn't break the phone can very well trash the hard drive. Apple has it right - 4gb NAND is the way to go for devices that are never NOT moving (how' that for double negative-ville).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    On of those rare times with 100% agreement. Ultraportable devices (anything PDA size or smaller) SHOULD NOT have mechanical hard drives. If there is one thing that is a certainty (up there with death and taxes) is that HARD DRIVES FAIL. A fall that doesn't break the phone can very well trash the hard drive. Apple has it right - 4gb NAND is the way to go for devices that are never NOT moving (how' that for double negative-ville).

"Vibration" mode of the Treo would also, probably, have an adverse effect on a micro drive, as well.

Cheers, Perry.
    I read the first link...I'm not so sure that we won't see a new Treo running palm X. Palm has a solid place in the market. Has their OS dipped off a little? Sure. But I think it's a double-edged sword for palm to support multiple OS's. First, it allows them to make another phone. Who is it targeted towards? Are those people coming from the devoted palms os following? Not likely. Can it be very profitable for palm? Sure. I don't blame them. When Perry changes his mind, so will I :-)
    Correction: Palm HAD a solid place in the market... they blew it huge... taking the brilliant Handspring legacy and flushing it down the toilet.

Anyone that can mentally take a step back and honestly look at their overall experience with the 650 will not give you a lot of positive input.

As for the rest of the Rah Rah die hard Palm fans... my condolences... but for the love of Pete, wise up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    Correction: Palm HAD a solid place in the market... they blew it huge... taking the brilliant Handspring legacy and flushing it down the toilet.

Anyone that can mentally take a step back and honestly look at their overall experience with the 650 will not give you a lot of positive input.

As for the rest of the Rah Rah die hard Palm fans... my condolences... but for the love of Pete, wise up.

Hi Tom!

Yes -- I am one you classify in the Rah Rah die hard category -- but honestly -- the 650 has been my most enjoyable and satisfying Palm PDA yet. And in stepping back -- I can say my 650 experience has been nothing but positive.

I find truth in your statements of legacy and slippage -- but please do not brush me aside as a blind zealot. There are 6 billion+ truths in this world, yours is one, mine is one.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    (In response to a portion of the technica article.)
    I always enjoy the market share analysis that shows Palm's dwindling market share in "SmartPhones." They need a new category. . . Treo's are not smartphones . . Treos are a handheld computers with a phone inside. Yes -- Pocket PCs have ramped up in share -- but please do not lump these two product lines in with phones that have a task list and a calendar function.

Sure, orange juice consumption is dwindling, if you lump soft drinks into the category. . . .

There, I vented.

Cheers, Perry.
    You're right about one thing... Treo 650's are NOT SMARTphones...

These damned things don't even have a rapid autoredial when a dialed number is busy... LOL but the best (and most telling) part is nobody (3rd party developers) gives a damn enough and/or don't believe in it's future enough to take the time to write a tiny program that WILL autoredial.

Oh yeah... and we're all STILL WAITING on an effective but simple CALL FILTER program that doesn't annialate the already anemic bluetooth on this piece of fancy garbage.

So let's all line up like drooling Pavlovian morons and gobble up the next bug-ridden, gargantuan waste of time and money that Palm dishes out... yeah... good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    You're right about one thing... Treo 650's are NOT SMARTphones...

These damned things don't even have a rapid autoredial when a dialed number is busy... LOL but the best (and most telling) part is nobody (3rd party developers) gives a damn enough and/or don't believe in it's future enough to take the time to write a tiny program that WILL autoredial.

Oh yeah... and we're all STILL WAITING on an effective but simple CALL FILTER program that doesn't annialate the already anemic bluetooth on this piece of fancy garbage.

So let's all line up like drooling Pavlovian morons and gobble up the next bug-ridden, gargantuan waste of time and money that Palm dishes out... yeah... good idea.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

Cheers, Perry.
    You seem like a really good guy... I've read many helpful posts of yours over the months... but I've got to wonder (strictly in relation to how much maintenance and headache time you've dedicated to your 650, or 650's)...

... I have 24 hours in my day... how many hours do you get?
    Hey Tom!

Out of the box, it has worked great for 11 months. VersaMail, Docs to Go, Handmark Express, no battery turbo drain. . . . . . My unit has been replaced once. A third party software glitch that, as it turns out, could have been fixed on the original unit, which I then had to fix on the replacement.

I hear you on the re-dial. However, I came from the PDA side -- and am a medium power user on that side. My phone plan is for 300 minutes. So the phone short falls do not tick me off, as much as the 32mb (22mb) of memory(But my 2GB SD card cures that.) However, the email and Internet connection with the occassional use of a phone has made this my best PDA yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    To add fuel to my PalmPod Treo speculation, I will note that Palm is apparently moving their production of the Treo from HTC to Inventec, the ODM for Apple Ipod's. I'm sure the Teoo 700w will remain with HTC (that only makes sense) so this probably applies to the next gen Treo, the Hollywood!!

4GB phone!!

Surur
    I've had both Palm and Pocket PC PDAs and my experience is that Palm PDAs are way more user friendly than Pocket PCs. I started with a Visor DLX when they frist came out and I loved it. And I upgraded every year until I bought the Sony Clie NX70v which was an awesome PDA. It was all that I ever wanted and back then the Treos looked like a downgrade to me. So I waited to see something new and when I saw the Treo 650 pre-release I knew that was the one I've been waiting for.

Now that EVDO has been rolled out I can't wait for the Treo 700p to come out. I don't care if the Palm OS dies two years from now or so. What I care is my present experience with a new Treo running the Palm OS. Nothing last forever, but trust me while it last I will enjoy it every second I use it.

Al
    How often do you actually get a busy signal these days?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast