Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I think Palm will configure the memory to the "base" user -- probably 32mb again or 64mb. (Although, I would say 64mb should be that "base" amount.) If you want video, music or data storage or tons of 3rd party software -- buy a 4GB SD card.

Sounds harsh -- but to keep the retail down -- let the power users pay for what they want to add -- not all users.

(Duck Perry!! I can hear the incoming mortar shells now. . . . .)

Cheers, Perry.
    If it has 32 again, it's off my list! That's embarassing considering what else is out there! If they can give us the TX and Lifedrive(although people seem to hate that one), they can add more memory to the Treo! I'd take 64, and use a card for the rest.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I agree 64mb needs to be the new "base". I do not see a mini hard drive in the Treo due to the vibrtation mode.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I do not see a mini hard drive in the Treo due to the vibrtation mode.
    Nah, I don't buy it.

If they can build hard drives which turtle when you drop your notebook, surely they can design a PDA hard drive that can survive a little thing like a vibrate alarm. Surely.
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS
    Nah, I don't buy it.

If they can build hard drives which turtle when you drop your notebook, surely they can design a PDA hard drive that can survive a little thing like a vibrate alarm. Surely.
    Hi PatrickS!!

That would be great, but from what I have read, that is the reason they left a "vibrate mode" off the Life Drive. And I am not so sure that vibrate mode is "a small" thing. That's some pretty good vibration!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/06/2005 at 07:40 AM.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    You're right about one thing... Treo 650's are NOT SMARTphones...

These damned things don't even have a rapid autoredial when a dialed number is busy... LOL but the best (and most telling) part is nobody (3rd party developers) gives a damn enough and/or don't believe in it's future enough to take the time to write a tiny program that WILL autoredial.
    Er, have you tried pressing the green phone button twice? On Sprint 650s anyway, that redials the last number called. First press brings up a list of recently dialed #s, second dials the first (most recent) number in the list.

Probably not much market for a 3rd-party app that duplicates an out-of-the-box function.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra
    Er, have you tried pressing the green phone button twice? On Sprint 650s anyway, that redials the last number called. First press brings up a list of recently dialed #s, second dials the first (most recent) number in the list.

Probably not much market for a 3rd-party app that duplicates an out-of-the-box function.
    that's a manual redial, rather than an auto-redial. the complaint was about a lack of auto-redial software.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir
    that's a manual redial, rather than an auto-redial. the complaint was about a lack of auto-redial software.
    Maybe it's just me, but what's the demand for such an app? What's the need?
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    The need occurred when Palm stupidly changed the ability to just right click to go to the phone log and push the center button twice to instantly redial the number you just dialed. Now you have to remember to not only get to the phone log but also awkwardly move your cursor up one slot and then you can redial. Palm -- can't f@#$ing leave well enough alone the parts of the Treo that it did correctly.
    When you are trying the get through to a support line for example automatic redial is essential. Its standard on most phones for many many years now. It always aggravates me that we would pay a huge amount of money for a phone where no-one devoted even a man-day on adding the simple features which every dumb phone has. I mean, how much work would it take to code an extention which offers to redail when a call fails due to the other party being busy, and keep on doing it until you get an answer or 10 tries expired? If they eventually do it they would probably tout it as a major feature (and WM is as bad as Palm in this matter).

Surur
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    The need occurred when Palm stupidly changed the ability to just right click to go to the phone log and push the center button twice to instantly redial the number you just dialed. Now you have to remember to not only get to the phone log but also awkwardly move your cursor up one slot and then you can redial. Palm -- can't f@#$ing leave well enough alone the parts of the Treo that it did correctly.
    Again, if we're talking about "auto" redialing with a button press (semi-auto, maybe?), all you have to do is hit the green phone button twice to pull up a list of recently-dialed numbers and select the first one. I just confirmed this is in the Cingular user manual, so it ain't just Sprint. In other words, RTM or play around a little before complaining.

If we're talking about fully automatic redialing (with no user action at all), see this thread . Guess I was wrong about the demand, but the obstacles have nothing to do with the future of the Palm OS.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    I don't know if you were really wrong. I think it's all about preferences. I actually prefer to wait 5 or 10 min. before redialing the same number. Why keep dialing, it only makes you frustrated when you keep getting a busy. I just move on to the next call and come back. Yes, that means I don't always need auto-redial.

However, it's a good feature to have for convenience. But I live without it by choice 98% of the time and don't even realize I'm supposed to be missing it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Again, if we're talking about "auto" redialing with a button press (semi-auto, maybe?), all you have to do is hit the green phone button twice to pull up a list of recently-dialed numbers and select the first one. I just confirmed this is in the Cingular user manual, so it ain't just Sprint. In other words, RTM or play around a little before complaining.
    FYI, before using such language and chastising us for legitimite gripes, I can tell you that the above mentioned method does not work on my Verizon Treo 650. Hitting the green phone button keeps refreshing the phone screen and I am far from the first to point out Palm's stupidity in making changes for the sake of saying they did something different on the phone. The redial/last calls issue pales in comparison to the light/hang up call button.

Lady Treo -- We don't all have the luxury of waiting 5-10 minutes between calls. In addition, when you're standing outside in snowfall 10 minutes can feel like 30 easily and become an hour near rush hour.
    I used to be on the phone sometimes with the redial going for 5 or 10 min.(sometimes more) until I got a clear line. No more! I could have taken care of another call by that time! And now I do!

And I don't use a cell phone in rain or snow anyway. Good way to damage it.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    FYI, before using such language and chastising us for legitimite gripes, I can tell you that the above mentioned method does not work on my Verizon Treo 650. Hitting the green phone button keeps refreshing the phone screen and I am far from the first to point out Palm's stupidity in making changes for the sake of saying they did something different on the phone. The redial/last calls issue pales in comparison to the light/hang up call button.

Lady Treo -- We don't all have the luxury of waiting 5-10 minutes between calls. In addition, when you're standing outside in snowfall 10 minutes can feel like 30 easily and become an hour near rush hour.
    My Unlocked GSM on Gingular always prompts me if I want to redial when the line I call rings Busy.

How often does that happen in the world of voice mail? Not often...but if the person does not have call waiting (rare I know) or oice mail (rarer still) then my phone prompts me.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    FYI, before using such language and chastising us for legitimite gripes,
    What language? I said "RTM," not "RTFM."

I can tell you that the above mentioned method does not work on my Verizon Treo 650. Hitting the green phone button keeps refreshing the phone screen ...
    My apologies; I just checked the Verizon manual. The method is slightly different. On page 16, you'll find the following tip: "To quickly redial your most recent call, press and hold the Phone/Send button to display the redial list." OK, so it's very slightly annoying that this is a bit different on the VZW 650, but with apologies to Johnnie Cochran, either the manual lies or "RTM" still applies.

I'll shut up now before we push this thread even further off topic. My main point was that the fact there's not a legion of developers rushing to write an auto-redial app is not exactly an omen of doom for PalmOS.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
    It all comes down to the OS. Palm got killed with Cobalt. These things need an overhaul every 10-15 years. I just wish Palm would bite the bullet and do it.
    Besides arm support and some lame multimedia apps 5.x doesn't do much more than 3/4.x both of which have been around for 10 years!

I would love to see a new OS from Palm. It would rejuvinate my passion for the devices, however after taking a trip to WM land with the 66/6700 it the idea of not being able to multitask and manually initiating a hotsync make me cringe.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Exactly robber. The execs responsible for the lack of progress are long gone, fat bonus checks in hand. They left a slow, bloated mess for the next group of execs to pillage and sell off the remaining assets while they too walk off with bonus checks in hand.

With regard to the Palm OS, the best thing that could have happened to it was this purchase. There is incentive for this company to build the better mousetrap. That doesn't mean that I'll be around to enjoy the fruits of their labor. We'll see.
    I don't know if Access is the best firm for sure, but I do think Palm OS going with a linux core and a palm interface over it is the best solution. It'll bring thousands, perhaps millions, of new developers to the system and put palm in line with the growing linux community. Linux will get a recognizable name and stronger position in the mobile computing market than it has ever had in the past.

In the larger scale, at least at the enterprise level, firms are typically choosing a linux, or MS solution. Palm probably wants to be able to offer smooth integrating devices for either structure, so having both a Palm/Linux and WM device makes sense for them.

Gargoyle
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Millions of new developers? Linux < > Palm on Linux
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenithNadir
    Auto-redial puts load on the network. Not a chance the carriers would let that through.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast