Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jefferson
    Anyone that can mentally take a step back and honestly look at their overall experience with the 650 will not give you a lot of positive input.
    This is a difficult statement to support. Did the 650 have problems? Sure...does it still? It doesnt seem to have as much. Palm is still selling the 650 quite well and all the cell phone providers are carrying it. (For me personally, the 650 was not enough of an upgrade from me to jump from the 600...to each his own.)

As for the rest of the Rah Rah die hard Palm fans... my condolences... but for the love of Pete, wise up.
    Wise up to what? Are you saying that Palm won't be around forever...I agree. To say that palm won't be around in a year or two seems a bit far-fetched. Palm is capturing some PPC people with the WM treo and it's also going over after some of the Blackberry folks as well.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by surur
    To add fuel to my PalmPod Treo speculation, I will note that Palm is apparently moving their production of the Treo from HTC to Inventec, the ODM for Apple Ipod's. I'm sure the Teoo 700w will remain with HTC (that only makes sense) so this probably applies to the next gen Treo, the Hollywood!!

4GB phone!!

Surur
    You've got great dreams. :)

I didn't know that about Inventec. It's too bad they can't claim credit for the iPod design. I wonder what could possibly rub off onto the new Treos... Cooler packaging? Shiny scratchable surfaces?
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I didn't know that about Inventec.
    The Inventec story was part of the Lowrider/Hollywood leak.

http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000107066688

Inventec is definitely the Ipod ODM.

Apple iPod partner Inventec breaks IPO market record
    By Dan Nystedt

One Apple's main iPod component suppliers in Asia sold its shares on Taiwan's Stock Market for the first time today and posted the biggest one-day rise for an initial offering in the market's history.

Inventec Appliances stock ended the day at NT$140.5 ($4.17) per share, up more than 30 per cent from its offering price of NT$108, thanks to the work it does for Apple, stock market analysts said.

The Taiwanese contract electronics maker has become famous for making iPods, despite an official policy not to talk about its customers. But at a recent press conference to talk up Tuesday's stock market listing Inventec executives said they had been working with Apple since 1993, and hinted at recent orders from the company.

Inventec also produces its own line of mobile phones under the OKWAP brand and makes other small gadgets on behalf of clients.

The Taiwanese company's revenue rose to NT$72.2 billion ($2.14 billion) during the nine-month period ending September 30, from NT$42.2 billion during the same period last year. Its net income for the first nine months this year was NT$2.29 billion.
    http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index...S&NewsID=12976

There must be some reason, some synergy, and some reason why its called the codename is Hollywood. Also think of the theme of recent phones - such as the rockr, Samsung i300, the 4gb Nokia, the Sony Walkman phone.

Speculation, but not completely without cause.

More idle speculation - Maybe Palm and Apple is finally partnering in some way?

Surur
    Correction: Palm HAD a solid place in the market... they blew it huge... taking the brilliant Handspring legacy and flushing it down the toilet.

Anyone that can mentally take a step back and honestly look at their overall experience with the 650 will not give you a lot of positive input.

As for the rest of the Rah Rah die hard Palm fans... my condolences... but for the love of Pete, wise up.
    Wow. There's no question we've got some diehard fans on here, but I'm NOT one of them. I can step back and tell you that my experience has been positive. I think YOU need to take an objective look at your own statements. You obviously got a 650 that had more problems than mine, or Perry's, or any multitude of people on here.
    Now, I realize you're going to say I'm "rah rah", but just don't. I'm not a liar. Perry's not a liar, so don't ACCUSE us of it.
    I LOVE my 650.
    Thanks.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Thanks for the article.

There must be some reason, some synergy, and some reason why its called the codename is Hollywood.
    I think it's encouraging because it tells us that Palm execs understand at least on some level that they need this next gen phone to be hot and stylish. More Q and less 700w, please.

I hope it's that and not just a reference to its multimedia capabilities. :p
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    How often do you actually get a busy signal these days?
    All the time... depends on what you do and where you are, I suppose.

At this point I settle for a Call Log that has the last entry highlighted, rather than the Cancel button.

... and with the newest Cingular update... the redial list is always in my face, especially when least wanted.... thanks Cingular!... idiots.
    All the time... depends on what you do and where you are, I suppose.

At this point I settle for a Call Log that has the last entry highlighted, rather than the Cancel button.

... and with the newest Cingular update... the redial list is always in my face, especially when least wanted.... thanks Cingular!... idiots.
    Uh huh.
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    (In response to a portion of the technica article.)
    I always enjoy the market share analysis that shows Palm's dwindling market share in "SmartPhones." They need a new category. . . Treo's are not smartphones . . Treos are a handheld computers with a phone inside. Yes -- Pocket PCs have ramped up in share -- but please do not lump these two product lines in with phones that have a task list and a calendar function.

Sure, orange juice consumption is dwindling, if you lump soft drinks into the category. . . .
    I think you're missing one huge part of the equation -- Palm just sold off one huge essential portion of what allows it to create those oranges.

Another thing. In your obsessive belief that the 700p will arrive.. well... so what if it does? My point was that Palm is all over the place. Who knows what the sale of the software portion will bring and this smells like the end is nearing.

I just saw my cousin's new Blackberry. Much lighter than the Treo. It's getting to the point where once all the manufacturers have perfected what shouldn't have been such a difficult task, the company you know as Palm has no real product.

You are also blowing the Treo out of proportion. It's not like it's miles ahead of any other smartphone or Windows Mobile. It might still be a little easier to use but other than that they really do the same thing. Palm languished and sat on its but. Palm Linux, shminux. Whatever. You need developers and people who believe the investment is worth the while, other than a few obsessed people who live for the day the product comes out. I'm sorry to say this but it's true. For a CEO to sound that absurd it does not bode well...
    Last edited by slinky; 11/11/2005 at 05:33 PM.
    I like my 650 and expect it to last another year or two. However, once it is done I will be heading over to the dark side. Hopefully the latest and greatest HTC windows phone.

I think that's where the smartphone world is heading.

The 650 never lived up to the solid feeling that I grew to love from a Palm OS. I had a Palm V for five years (i think that's right) and I literally never had one reset or problem with it. Actually my brother is still enjoying it.
    Hi Slinky!

You missed my points.

Phones with task lists are not PDAs.

My I BELIEVE statements were to lighten up everybody during the doom and gloom WM5 period.

Cheers, Perry.
    Slinky, If you don't like Treos then go somewhere else and stop flaming Treo users. I'm happy with my Treo and that's why I'm here. If I didn't like it I would go somewhere else.

Al
    Treolo -

The man has a point. The Treo is rather large for the non-Treo/smartphone attuned segment of the population. The only way to get them to carry such a monster is for it to be feature-packed. And the Palm OS is eternally stuck in late 2002.

I love my Treo. I hate my Treo's operating system.

And you can't stop me from saying that; this is America (at least, my IP is).

Considering we're all members on a Treo-focused community board, all of our input and contributions to discussions are relevant. The man has ~260 posts and is a member, so he at least cares somewhat about Treo's.

I do!

Ijust loathe PalmOS; rather it's lethargic growth and advancement in the current marketplace.

But, what the hell, it's all verbatim, anyway...
    Unlocked 750v: Voice / Data
    Blackberry 7130c: Private Line
    Motorola v60g T-Mo: Business Voice
    Also HTC TyTN factory; Palm LifeDrive & TX
    7 year Cingular/PacBell veteran.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    Slinky, If you don't like Treos then go somewhere else and stop flaming Treo users. I'm happy with my Treo and that's why I'm here. If I didn't like it I would go somewhere else.
    Al, I'm a Treo owner just like you and Perry. What I am not is someone who will put my fingers into my ears and block out all the bad things I don't want to hear about what is going on around me. I don't recall this board being for people who want to take some opium and only feel and think good thoughts about their mobile phone.

It's a sad reality and I see I'm not alone. To be completely honest, I'm caring less about the 700 after Palm took a major step back and released the 650 with 32 MB or RAM -- the same as its predecessor, the 600. That was the beginning of desperation, IMHO and Verbatim makes the point about Palm being stuck in 2002. That's exactly it. They were making their last big payday while there was still some distance between competitors and still hocking older technology.

Now that the software end is gone, we are looking at Palm being exactly what? A hardware innovator? Even that seems to be going down the tubes. The only innovation they provided since the 600 was changing the @#$&ing cables and that made it worse. It seems that their selling to MS means that they will be nothing but a shell. Who knows what this other company will do with the Palm OS.

Doom and gloom? That thought only comes to mind when I'll need to buy my next phone and it involves $$$$$$. Right now my Treo should last me for a long time, assuming it doesn't crap out on me first. I really don't need much more than it does for a while. Hopefully I can still eke out that awful RAM crunch and the hardware won't fail. But by the time we reach the next phone period... well... I'll be getting something with WiFi and let Palm be damned, I've had it with the BS. I'm not going to blow even more money just to get it on their new phone... that may not have a lot of developers writing for their new OS...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    .... I really don't need much more than it does for a while. Hopefully I can still eke out that awful RAM crunch and the hardware won't fail. But by the time we reach the next phone period... well... I'll be getting something with WiFi and let Palm be damned, I've had it with the BS. I'm not going to blow even more money just to get it on their new phone... that may not have a lot of developers writing for their new OS...
    Everyone around here knows I'm the KING of doom and gloom about the future prospects for Palm...

But...quotes like yours kill me, because they are so much in line with other whiners. B!#$% and complain about Treo's antiquated (2002) OS and what it CAN'T do, then you ADMIT that it does more than you need now (or with other complainers, more features than they use). So what's the real beef?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Everyone around here knows I'm the KING of doom and gloom about the future prospects for Palm...

But...quotes like yours kill me, because they are so much in line with other whiners. B!#$% and complain about Treo's antiquated (2002) OS and what it CAN'T do, then you ADMIT that it does more than you need now (or with other complainers, more features than they use). So what's the real beef?
    You better "recognize", Strauss! I'M the king of DOOM and don't you forget it!!!!
    It'll be fun.
    this is probably one of the best threads I have read on TC. real input. it all reflects our frustration of Palm.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

I admit I can make it meet my requirements BUT it comes at a serious price that was unnecessary. In two words: WIFI and RAM.

1) It gets the job done by forcing me to pay an extra $45 per month for that @#$$&ing Internet plan that I really wouldn't need with most other PDA phones. (This alone is the cost of a new phone after 1 year)

2) Bluetooth is not WiFi so don't go there. None of the places I go have or use Bluetooth which, in general, has a very limited range and that is what it was designed for.

3) To even say it's a hassle is an understatement. Yes, I can get everything I need done on the 650 BUT I constantly have to swipe stuff off of RAM and onto the card. I think that I bought the Tungsten C I used to have and its 64 MB of RAM some time near when Shaft first showed up... on TV!!! It's freaking inexcusable and it's been getting worse updating my apps that have gotten larger.

4) Now that WiFi is out, especially on an *SD card* on the 700M pisses me off even more with regard to drivers issue for the 650. They've kicked us in the face and want us to come back for more. Honestly, my bet is better hedged elsewhere.

Last of all, if you want to know another reason why I feel like giving Palm the 7up Yours treatment? Because all the money that I *might* have considered using to buy the 700m went into their sucking me dry to replace all the accessories I had for the 600 for no reason other than to stick it to me right in the wallet. And they made those @#$$&ing connectors worse so they can and do break. Adding up the price of replacement accessories is insane.

When a Palm president needs to convince developers to stay, it's because he smells what is coming. We'll see just how many people will buy into Palm Linux or whatever the hell else they plan. If I'm a developer, you know where my attention is going -- where the money is and the huge number of new Windows Mobile phones that will now also be in the Treo form factor (with sucky specs.)

If there is little reason for the developers to get excited, I find less reason for myself.
    Last edited by slinky; 11/12/2005 at 03:56 PM.
    I see the 650 as a "Jack of all trades, master of none".
    I see the Treo 650 as the best smart phone available. I have had hardly any problems with mine. I am looking forward to the "hollywood", Palm knows it needs to make a slim device. The Motorola Q is nice, but has no touch screen and runs Windows Mobile. Palm knows it needs to do this to retain it's lead as having the best smart phone on the market. I am sure they will.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I see the Treo 650 as the best smart phone available. I have had hardly any problems with mine. I am looking forward to the "hollywood", Palm knows it needs to make a slim device. The Motorola Q is nice, but has no touch screen and runs Windows Mobile. Palm knows it needs to do this to retain it's lead as having the best smart phone on the market. I am sure they will.
    Unfortunately they don't. They have been coasting. They made the best phone back with the Treo 600, a nice improvement but they figured they could leave out high resolution, no replaceable battery and then create a transition phone in the meanwhile. That is the 650. It represents Palm sitting on their butts and collecting for minimal added value.

But look at where these smartphones/pdas whatever you want to call them are now. It's arguable that the Treo 650 is not the best smartphone available and it is debatable. It wasn't back then. All of these phones come equipped with WiFi. Sure there are some issues with many of them but let's remember who is still new in the market.

It should make you think when the Treo is being offered to be the host to other competing platforms. Decide what you like -- the phone hardware or the Palm OS. The two are now separated. It might not be all bad for us since Palm was running the company into the ground. They sold naming rights to PalmOne. Should tell you something.

What will vm do? I don't know but perhaps they may make more of a focus in Asia than in the US. I have no idea what Palm is right now except a company that will disappear soon now that the hardware differences are rapidly becoming minimal...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast