Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The attached Treo flip phone could deliver a super compact design at around an inch thick and with HVGA resolution. Treo Flipper ... What do you think?

Devices are size comparible.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Oh my a Kyocera 7135.
    i saw this once.. its a kyocera 7135. And it was terrible!!!!
  4.    #4  
    Patrick Horne
    Same look different keyborard.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    The attached Treo flip phone could deliver a super compact design at around an inch thick and with HVGA resolution. Treo Flipper ... What do you think?

Devices are size comparible.
    I don't know if I would like that flipper. I broke the hinge on my treo 300 six months into service activation. It was frustrating talking on that phone while I wait for a replacement. The SE P990 is the only flip design I would not mind entertaining, since I can probably still use the phone with ease if the hinge or the flip breaks on me.
    Palm?

Innovate?

Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I traded my Samsung I500 in for a Treo650. The samsung I500 (palm based) was a heck of a great phone! Reliable and very sturdy, Samsung should have updated the processor and added bluetooth. Oh well. We will find ways to make the treo work....
    I like it, but don't change the keyboard from 4 to 5 rows. I don't want to have to learn how to type all over again.

I like the large screen!
    However the problem would be its size when it is open. It would be like talking on a big flat banana
    Based on the drawing alone, I definitely like this design. Larger screen. Larger keyboard. And I could pocket it without it turning itself on.

The unknowns are how thick it would be and how the weight would be distributed. And that's hard for anyone other than a phone engineer to know.

Also, I don't recall ever seeing a mobile phone with a screen that extends to the edges like this design, though almost every laptop does.
    A buddy of mine had a Treo 300, and it definitely didn't handle being dropped. He needed both hands to talk and had wires exposed after dropping his. It would really take some good engineering to produce something that would hold up.

LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

(R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
    READ MY LIPS: "NO FLIP PHONE!"

Those of us who had the Treo 300 and paid the price know a PDA flip phone will never work. I'm not even that keen on the slider concept but I know at least that's more feasible.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    However the problem would be its size when it is open. It would be like talking on a big flat banana
    I would imagine that it would have the same angle as the typical flip phones out there. My design team budget (me + PC) is a little too tight for a 3D image showing the open angle, so you just get a flat look.

Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Also, I don't recall ever seeing a mobile phone with a screen that extends to the edges like this design, though almost every laptop does.
    Wow. That's pretty keen. I agree and cannot understand this myself. I used to look at laptops & LCD monitors 8-10 years ago and shake my head wondering why they waste all that extra space & bulk on the edge of the screen. On mobile devices the efficiency and portability are crucial, yet few companies seem interested in maximizing efficiency and sleekness. The vaporware Samsung SGH-i500 prototype pushed the screen to the edges this way. But Palmsource spooked them before it ever became a reality.

Palm Vx, HP19xx, iPod Nano & Moto RAZR are examples of devices that went sleek and stole the heart of the market. It should be noted that current LCD tech has some overhang outside the edges of the actual LCD, usually on one end. But, the OLED tech revealed by Sony showed the display being trimmed right to the edges, except for significant waste on 1 of the four sides.

Regardless mobile designers really need to see the importance of this optimized design and exploit it, IMO. Look at the design of the new and attractive Cingular 8125 and compare it to the optimized design of the 8215. Same screen and plenty of keyboard real estate, yet significantly more pocketable, compact and a little lighter. Probably the difference between putting in the pocket or not.

HTC8125 vs 8215 vs Treo650

I know your eyes cannot believe this, but the display of the 8215 in the middle is exactly the same size as the 8125 on the left!!! Although similar, the Palm OS 8215 is exceedingly more attractive than the WM5 8125. This is a demonstatration of how maximizing the screen-frontal area factor on a mobile device makes a huge difference.
    Patrick Horne
    I like the design, very cool looking, it would be nice if Palm gave more Treo options. Many people prefer flip phones.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith

HTC8125 vs 8215 vs Treo650

I know your eyes cannot believe this, but the display of the 8215 in the middle is exactly the same size as the 8125 on the left!!! Although similar, the Palm OS 8215 is exceedingly more attractive than the WM5 8125. This is a demonstatration of how maximizing the screen-frontal area factor on a mobile device makes a huge difference.
    I LOVE THAT MIDDLE DESIGN! You should sell it to Palm and retire. Oops, I forgot, Palm is a glacier, not a waterfall.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I LOVE THAT MIDDLE DESIGN! You should sell it to Palm and retire. Oops, I forgot, Palm is a glacier, not a waterfall.
    Actually I did and Palm is going to put it to market with a few cosmetic changes to conform to other Treos. Should be in carrier stores by Spring 2014.
    Patrick Horne
    Let's not try to compare this design to the Kyocera. That phone sucked, but not because of the form factor. The casing was rock solid construction. It was, however, a little thick. The 7135's processor was way underpowered. If it had a faster processor, OS5, a keyboard and a little thinner, then it would have been a great device (and, of course, completely different than what was released).

Let's also not compare this time of flip phone to the 300 design, which was basically a candy bar with a flimsy cover.

I love your design and would take a flip over a candy bar anytime.
    I like it.

The 300 was not a true clamshell phone. It just had a crappy and cheap flip.
    I loved my kyocera 7135. My only problem with my KY was the slow processor, low internal memory and low res screen. My only problem with the Treo is low memory and its not a clamshell phone. Clamshell is the superior design! I would give a grand for a palm, clamshell, high res, qwerty kb phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast