1.    #1  
    Now I can't even Hot Synch without sending this wonderful piece of technology (650) into another reset. My replacement of a replacement of a replacement phone dumped all my data in the field again. Sure my back up sd card helps, but now it won't synch with the PC at home. I am so done with this POS.
    Have you identified what is causing the reset?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    "Unknown Application"...Not very informative is it? I've learned to live with simple resets although that sort of thing has never been an issue with any other data device I've owned, but the loops, data loss and inability to HotSynch make this thing a very expensive paperweight. Makes me feel like a Beta tester for a device that's not ready for marketing.
    What third party applications have you installed?

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen
    My replacement of a replacement of a replacement phone.
    Now thats a classic quote, I guess the new question should be "What R number are you on?

Have you tried a hard reset?
    Last edited by tj8212; 11/09/2005 at 09:22 PM.
  6.    #6  
    I've done uncounted hard resets. I've even tried a zero out reset, but I can never get that to work. I can't see what third party apps would have do do with anything at this point as the phone was reset to it's original state when it decided that it's response to a HotSynch attempt would be to go black and reset again. I couldn't install any apps if I wanted to.
    *OBVIOUSLY* something *BAD* is installing on Hotsync, probably some program in the backups folder or whatever it is in the Palm Desktop. Search for threads on how to disable that, or just go locate it and rename the folder.

Yes, Palm should handle stuff like this more gracefully, but it's not hard to know that installing poorly hacked together software can cause problems. A lot of older software did a lot of goofy things that OS5.x will *not tolerate*.
  8.    #8  
    Backup folder was renamed and a new one created...starting from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by RicKaysen
    Now I can't even Hot Synch without sending this wonderful piece of technology (650) into another reset. My replacement of a replacement of a replacement phone dumped all my data in the field again. Sure my back up sd card helps, but now it won't synch with the PC at home. I am so done with this POS.
    Did you upgrade from a prior Palm device?

If so, did you just sync to your prior device's userid?

If so, we need to start over with a clean install. The 650 chokes on prior device software settings being brought forward in this manner.

Cheers, Perry.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...670#post838670
    . . . . . do not restore 3rd party software from a back up . . . . . install it fresh as you would a first purchase install. . . . . if you are just restoring from a SD card backup. . . . you could just be bringing the "problem" back again and again. . .

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/10/2005 at 08:34 AM.
  11.    #11  
    I appreciate the advice Perry. I have done clean installs several times already. As I mentioned, I start with a new, empty backup folder and erase the contents of my backup card to prevent any corrupt file from being reintroduced. All my previous PDA's where Windows CE, Mobile or Smartphone based. Say what you want about MS, but this is my first experience with Palm and by comparison, it's an incredibly fragile and buggy OS.
    Sorry to hear of your recurring nightmare. . . . . on my first 650. . . no problems for over 11 months. . .

You sound very knowledgable -- this isn't the loose sim problem, is it?

Cheers, Perry.
    After the hard reset and a clean install (but before any 3rd party software) does the unit reset? If so = hardware problem.

If not, add 3rd party software back one at a time (run for a couple of days, then add another) to find the culprit. . . .

Cheers, Perry