1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

I'm a long time i500 user and about to make the switch over the the Treo. I hope I won't be sorry, although I'm sure people on this board will make me feel more than happy I made the switch.

I've got a few general questions just to begin with, if anyone cares to answer here or point me to some helpful threads they can recommend that would be great.

1. recommendations for making the swtich from the I500 to the Treo 650. Specifically with names/numbers and the calendar. I'm not sure how this works given the different versions of Palm OS, can I just copy my contacts and datebook files to the new directory after I install the Treo?

2. I currently use and am familiar with Snappermail, Verichat, Quickoffice, Datebk5, Bugme, FlyZip, Filez. Thes are essential to my uses for the i5, are they all compatible with the 650?

3. any other excellent apps that anyone recommends?

4. SD, card, do I need one, if so, why and what size? what sort of stuff does everyone keep on it?

5. Screen proector, any recommended?

6. does it handle sms out of the box and if so is the app good or do you recommend another?

Thanks!
    Jason
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoss
    Hey everyone,

I'm a long time i500 user and about to make the switch over the the Treo. I hope I won't be sorry, although I'm sure people on this board will make me feel more than happy I made the switch.

I've got a few general questions just to begin with, if anyone cares to answer here or point me to some helpful threads they can recommend that would be great.

1. recommendations for making the swtich from the I500 to the Treo 650. Specifically with names/numbers and the calendar. I'm not sure how this works given the different versions of Palm OS, can I just copy my contacts and datebook files to the new directory after I install the Treo?

2. I currently use and am familiar with Snappermail, Verichat, Quickoffice, Datebk5, Bugme, FlyZip, Filez. Thes are essential to my uses for the i5, are they all compatible with the 650?

4. SD, card, do I need one, if so, why and what size? what sort of stuff does everyone keep on it?

6. does it handle sms out of the box and if so is the app good or do you recommend another?

Thanks!
    Jason
    I would search on these issues...most of these have been addressed at some point and much better than I could do.

1. There is an upgrade procedure...I havent done it so I won't comment on it.

2. I think those are all compatible except flyzip?

3. There are a couple threads on just this topic.

4. Yes, get at least a 1 gig. Put movies, mp3's and all your documents/spreadsheets.

5. Boxwave

6. I am pretty sure the built in program for SMS works great.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

1. No idea on this one, but be careful.

2.& 3. Lots of threads on this, but Filez is the only one I use and it is great.

4. I use a 256 MB, and it is plenty. Depends on what you want to store. A DVD movie is around 200 MB.

5. Never used or missed a screen protector.

6. does it handle sms out of the box (yes).
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoss

Thanks!
    Jason
    1. If you have Outlook then you're fine. Just make sure your Outlook is set up to sync with the 650.

2. Not sure about all of them but majority are.

3. Zlauncher and Agendus.... but you are using DateBk already so nevermind.

4. Don't need it but only helps. Might as well get it. If strictly for business and used as an extension of the office you'll be able to get away with 256 and less. If you're looking to use it for bus. and pleasure (mp3 etc) 1 gb never hurt nobody. I have mostly spreadsheets and docs... using 256.

5. Anything but Palm's "trim it and hope you don't mess up" screen protectors. Like t2gungho suggested, Boxwaves will do the trick. This site also has a good screen protector.

6. Out of the box SMS is enough.

Invest in a good case. You're paying good money for a 650 so might as well invest in protection. Don't go through the learning curve with cases and BT headsets. Many have been through 3-4 BT headsets till they found the right one. Spend the money once, even if it's a bit pricey cuz in the end you'd end up spending more going throught the accessory learning curve. This board has been of so much help to me. Let the search button be your tool. Research before you buy prods and install apps.
    Do not sync directly to your prior Palm device userid, you will create a brick.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...670#post838670

Cheers, Perry

If you are going to use Docs to Go:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=83240
    I actually like the screen protector included with the Treo. First, it is free. Second, it actually works pretty well if you apply it right.

As for SD card, 1GB is probably the best value on the market right now. I think you can get one for around $50-60 right now if you shop around.