1.    #1  
    I hope someone can shed some light on this. Due to the hurricane here in Florida I am dead in the water, no power, no phone, no internet, still looking at a minimum of 3 to 4 weeks before these are restored. I just got a Treo 650 with internet access. I need advice on which device to purchase that will allow me to use my Treo's wireless internet access via my PC.

I understand there is a bluetooth adaptor that will allow me to do this. I just don't know which or what they call it. I am totally new to the handheld wireless thing. I ended up purchasing the treo, so I can continue to run my internet business. It's absolutely fantastic for email, etc, however I have found that the treo does not let me do some things such as print shipping labels, which is a crucial part of my business. I am hoping that I can use my treo's internet access via my desktop pc. I guess the term is "dial up networking via a bluetooth adaptor". Which adaptor? Which Brand? and Which would be compatable with my Treo 650? I am using Sprint's service.

I ordered DirecWay internet access, however if I can do this with the treo during hurricane down times, then I can skip the direcway thing. It's expensive, not a cheap way to access the internet.

ALL HELP IS SINCERELY APPRECIATED!!!! Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and responding.
    PDANet this is what you want to get (I USE IT )

and as far a printing shipping labels, im not sure but couldnt you create the labels using docstogo > beam them or thru usb cable, take the labels you created to the printer (using something like PrintBoy )

Hope this helps
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    You can just buy a bluetooth adaptor (dongle) for about 20/30$ (no sw rquired in the phone side) or you can buy the pdanet sw and use the default sync cable to connect.
  4.    #4  
    Franko & Solyutor,

Thanks for the info. I am going to see if I can download the PDA net into a disk and upload it at home. Since I don't have the internet access at home, I am not able to download anything into my pc at this time.
    You know, if you have Windows XP SP2, getting Bluetooth working is problematic, requiring lots of tweaks and such that you probably can't get without good Internet access.

PDANet is going to be one-stop shopping without any fuss, so you should probably pay your registration money and get online.

Good luck down there.

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by BMC Tackle
    Franko & Solyutor,

Thanks for the info. I am going to see if I can download the PDA net into a disk and upload it at home. Since I don't have the internet access at home, I am not able to download anything into my pc at this time.
    If you dont have a card reader you can jusd download in to the treo the Card export II.

After installing and activating the program you can be able to mount the treo's SD just like a standard USB drive (no sw rquired o the PC side if you have win ME or later OS).
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst
    You know, if you have Windows XP SP2, getting Bluetooth working is problematic,

If the dongle is recognised by xpsp2 you have to just plug the dongle to get it working.

If the dongle is not recognised by xpsp2 just install the widcomm (or bluesoleil) stack provided by the producer, again no problem.

Some haking is needed ONLY if you want to use the widcomm stack but the dongle is recognised by xpsp2 (in this case just rename the file bth.inf to bth.old, remove the MS drivers from device manager, unplug the dongle, install the widcomm sw, replug the dongle)

Some hacking is needed too, if you want to use the MS stack but the dongle is not recognissed by xpsp2, in this case just edit the bth.inf file and put the correct PID/VID information in it.

Only the last case requires some skill.