Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a younger brother who lives in Kirkland, a little suburb of Seattle, Wa. My brother gives me a call yesterday while I was in Weatherford, Tx and says he and his wife are planning a road trip to Florida to visit her parents, and he is going to drag his 5th wheel mobile home with them. He also said he wants to spend Thanksgiving at our parents home in San Diego, Ca.

So he asks me if I know of any place in San Diego to put his 5th wheel trailer at while he and his wife are visiting our parents. I said yeah, and mentioned a couple of storage places. He said no, they have to an RV Park with utility hook ups just in case. I then asked if he called our dad and asked him. He said yeah and dad was of no help. I said I would have to think about it and call him back.

So this morning I am driving thru New Mexico in my big truck westbound on Interstate 10. I looked over at the Treo which rides on the right seat and said to myself, no way, it can't be that simple. I picked up the Treo and sure enough, I was still in the Sprint network.

So I pulled up the Directory Assistant app and put in a search for RV Parks in San Diego with a search of the surrounding area. A few seconds later I had 21 results listed. I looked thru the list and found 6 that were interesting and 3 were real close to our parents house. So I saved the 6 interesting ones to a RV Parks catagory I created in contacts.

I then text messaged my brother with the names, addresses and phone numbers of the 3 parks that were close to our parents house. Within a minute of sending the text messages, my phone rings and it's my brother asking me where I'm at. I tell him I'm in New Mexico westbound on I-10. He then asks me how I got 3 RV Park listings with all the info so fast. I told him I did a search with my Treo. He tells me no freakin way. He doesn't believe a "cell" phone could do that. I told him a Treo and a little piece of software can. He says I will have to prove that to him when we meet in San Diego this coming Thanksgiving.

Life is good.

Chuck
    I still have not installed DA on my 650, but I think you have just convinced me.
    I find that DA is indispensable. I also save some directions as a saved page/bookmark so I can easily refer to them.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    do you have a link where we can get it? Thanks

MM
    Directory Asst
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Of every program i've either tried or bought or currently use, Directory assistant is one of my most used and favorite. My sister in law gave birth a few days ago adn it was about 4 in the morning and my mom in law ran out of film, i pulled up the cvs pharmacy a block away and found out teh were 24, everyone was amazed.
    Quote Originally Posted by suertetres
    Of every program i've either tried or bought or currently use, Directory assistant is one of my most used and favorite.
    It is so funny this thread is here now. I just got home from a weekend visiting my daughter in Lawrence, Kansas and was going to start a thread almost like this for a few reasons. First, we left early Friday. We couldn't meet my daughter until 6:00 because she was working so since we were so early we decided it was so beautiful we'd like to stop at a winery to sit and enjoy the day as we do most weekends here while in the MG. No, I don't ever drink, I enjoy a cigar, and the wife get's the wine. Well, about half way to K.C. I open DA and type in business name just, winery, and city of Blue Springs, Missouri as I figured we would get there while the day was still nice. Only three came up (actually 5, but two were doctors). One in Lee Summit, and two in Weston, MO. I called the first one in Weston as the other was the same address but they guided us to the cutest little town and we had the best time on the back roads to it and then onto Kansas. Later, I used it to find things for my daughter in Overland Park where we met some people. I think it and PdaNet have got to be invaluable to travellers and locals alike.

The worst....The Treo had absolutely no service IN WESTON.
    DA is a 'MUST HAVE APP' for all Treo's!!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    DA is a 'MUST HAVE APP' for all Treo's!!!
    100% agree - DA has saved me countless times and troubles on the road and in my boat too.

Jimbo
    Used DA this weekend too!

My wife has been heading up our new church directory project which got wrapped up this weekend. We were over at a friends house late Fri night working with her on the final details and roster....which had some errors. So.......I pulled out the Treo, opened up DA and got some corrected info for them.

Also used it on Sat to get some numbers for local shopping centers while shopping for a video game with my son.

DA is very
    -jeff

...the Truth will set you free!
    I used DA last Friday to plot an alternative route around some morning Washington, DC rush hour traffic. Awesome application!!
    DA is a top 5 app for me, along with Chatter, VC, and a couple others it makes the list of apps i couldnt live without.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    I too love DA too, but have experienced a problem a couple times.

Occassionally when I am using the Driving Directions feature and I got to my Addressbook to Contact Lookup someone's address into the program automatically (a very handy feature), DA does not find that person. This happens even though there is an address in that person's contact file. This seems to happen regardless of whether the address is listed as a Work, Home, or Other.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to solve it?
    Off to iPhone land...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    This seems to happen regardless of whether the address is listed as a Work, Home, or Other.

Yeah. If I click their home number it doesn't bring up their home address. It brings up the address that is listed first in the contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
    Yeah. If I click their home number it doesn't bring up their home address. It brings up the address that is listed first in the contacts.
    That's actually a different issue than the one I reported. But it would be nice to be able to select from the different address categories for driving directions.

I sent a PM to rlwhitt about the above issue I reported, and he said he had not previously heard of this problem.
    Off to iPhone land...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    I too love DA too, but have experienced a problem a couple times.

Occassionally when I am using the Driving Directions feature and I got to my Addressbook to Contact Lookup someone's address into the program automatically (a very handy feature), DA does not find that person. This happens even though there is an address in that person's contact file. This seems to happen regardless of whether the address is listed as a Work, Home, or Other.

Hey ghileman

Are you talking about DA not finding the person from your contacts to place in the driving directions field or do you mean DA cannot find the person after the search?

I have never noticed a problem on the former, but on the latter, ocasionally DA has difficulty finding people on residential searches at times.

And aussie joe, you are correct. DA only places the first address listed in contacts into the driving directions field, even though you have more than 1 address listed in your contacts.

The only work around to this that I know of is to have the same contact listed in more than 1 category. Such as personal and business or whatever category you want to list them in on your contacts file. This method clutters up the contact file.

Chuck
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    DA is a requirement if you travel. Well written and incredibly useful.

It is worth donating just for all the money you'll save on calling directory assistance from your cellphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Hey ghileman

Are you talking about DA not finding the person from your contacts to place in the driving directions field or do you mean DA cannot find the person after the search?
    I'm not sure I understand the difference between what you are describing, so I'll try and explain my problem again:

DA has a handy Driving Directions feature that a allows you to go into your addressbook and import the address from one of your contacts into the Driving Directions program. This saves one the trouble of having to type the address into the Driving Directions screen.

The problem I am experiencing periodically is that some contacts do not show up when I search for them. I'll select 'Address Book' and be in the 'Contact Lookup' section typing out their name, and it will not appear. This happens even though a) they have a complete address and b) happens regardless of what field the address is in (Home, Work, Other).
    Off to iPhone land...
    Ok, I figured it out. I realized that contacts that do not have phone numbers associated with them cannot be found by DA in addressbook lookup. When I added a dummy phone number, I was able to locate the conact with no problem.

Also, your contact's address has to be in the Work field be found by DA. If it's in the Home or Other fields, then it is not imported.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Here is a link to the author's web site ... Directory Assistant 3.2x.

I noticed above someone has posted the program....this is not a good practice as this violates copyrights, the person posted what is now an older version, and why not direct people to the author's site so that they could have the option of donating some $$ to him as well as learn about his other programs.

IMO, this is the best program Treo program besides the basic PIM, email and phone apps! Congrats to the author for a fabulous program!
    Last edited by SofTTware; 11/25/2005 at 10:04 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast