Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    craigdts,
    I agree that it would make sense for Palm to develop a Symbian Treo. They're struggling in Europe and Europeans seem to like Symbian, or at least Nokia. But we're speculating. I have no problem with people speculating (unless they say really stupid things).

Jimmie helped to spread a rumor across the Internet, saying he'd "confirmed" that Palm was actively developing a Symbian Treo. Then he backs down, saying Palm isn't going to release one, but they at least made a prototype. Then he says he stands by his original position, apparently not realizing that his original position is different from his latest position. Then he says he hasn't said anything wrong.

As for Palm denying WM for two years, I recall Colligan and others giving very clear non-denials for at least the past year. Apparently you remember something that I don't. Can you point me to one of their lies? Note that Palm started talking to Microsoft about this in February 2004, but they couldn't have made a full commitment until later.
    Thanks.
  2.    #62  
    I "confirmed" that Palm was working on a Symbian Treo. If you don't think they made one then you're not giving Palm enough credit. I wasn't spreading rumors across the internet. I posted a story someone emailed me about, you can not like it, disagree with it, it's all good. It's getting old though.

Palm did deny that they were working on a Windows Mobile device, and rightfully so. They don't need to tell us. SamKim you're right on the part that in the last year Ed Colligan said that they were not only committed to the Palm OS, and would consider other OS's. I remember reading a cnet article that kind of hinted to the fact that Windows Mobile was going to happen a few months back.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie,
    I "confirmed" that Palm was working on a Symbian Treo. If you don't think they made one then you're not giving Palm enough credit.
    1. You're still missing the distinction between an active project and a canceled prototype. You said that Palm had a Symbian Treo "in the works" on October 11, two weeks after Colligan said it didn't exist (or was already dead). Did your source tell you that the project was currently active or just that a prototype had been made at some point? If it's the latter, then your article is wrong, and you should retract it.

2. I didn't say that they didn't make a Symbian Treo prototype. I said you should stop speaking of it as a fact when it's a rumor.

You "confirmed" that a Symbian Treo was "in the works" on October 11, based on a "very reliable source." A lot of people took you at your word. A "very reliable source"? Hmmm. A Palm insider? An HTC exec? Um, no. It was the guy who had apparently obtained an illegal prototype of a 700w and posted videos of it on the web. So he sent you a video? No? So then we're down to some guy who posts on message boards. You heard it from some guy you've never met. We call that a "rumor."

3. I believe that Palm evaluated the possibility of developing a Symbian smartphone. I don't know whether that idea lasted one hour, one month, 6 months, or longer. I don't know whether they stopped after two high-level meetings with Symbian, after failed contract negotiations, after technical development meetings, or after prototype development. If Palm declined to proceed for business reasons, as Colligan suggested, as opposed to technical ones, then I would hope that they could have figured that out before wasting much resources on technical development.

I wasn't spreading rumors across the internet. I posted a story someone emailed me about, you can not like it, disagree with it, it's all good. It's getting old though.
    It's a rumor. And you helped to spread it across the Internet. I don't know what exactly you're denying here...

Palm did deny that they were working on a Windows Mobile device, and rightfully so. They don't need to tell us.
    Who denied it, what did he say, and when did he say it?

If an officer of a publicly traded corporation publicly releases false information that could have a material impact on the company's stock price, then the SEC would have serious problems with that, as would any investors who lost money subsequently.

DrDoom suggested that you never have support for what you say. Here's your chance to prove him wrong and bring a corrupt corporate executive to justice. Watch the wording, because their statements just need to be technically true. And if you're thinking of the Engadget article (palmOne sez no Windows Mobile-based Treo…for now), that wasn't a denial from Palm, just sloppy journalism. Or blogism.

Contact the SEC here:
    http://sec.gov/complaint.shtml

SamKim you're right on the part that in the last year Ed Colligan said that they were not only committed to the Palm OS, and would consider other OS's. I remember reading a cnet article that kind of hinted to the fact that Windows Mobile was going to happen a few months back.
    Try 12 months back.
    http://news.com.com/PalmOne+ponders+...?tag=nefd.lede
    And here's their non-denial to that news:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7260
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234