Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    *sigh*

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for now, but this is the first and LAST warning. PERSONAL ATTACKS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED! Please discuss with out resorting to name calling...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    *sigh*

I'm going to leave this thread unlocked for now, but this is the first and LAST warning. PERSONAL ATTACKS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED! Please discuss with out resorting to name calling...
    Don't have time to go back and read this entire thread right now, but if I called Jimmie "names" then I apologize. There I said it. Now as for everything else, well, I'm GLAD Jimmie didn't let it "sour" him on TC. I never wanted to run him off, just point out that my "Spidey-sense" BS meter was REALLY going off, and it bugged me.
    I have no personal issue with Jimmie Geddes. Only 99.7% of what he says.

I also completely understand the necessity of not letting things get out of hand on a forum, but "lively discourse" isn't the same as"personal attacks". I'm sorry but it just isn't. There have been plenty of times people disagreed with me, and were fairly vocal and passionate about it, but it never bothered me.

Whether he appreciates it or not, I would like to publicly go on record and thank Gfunk. His brand of moderation is the best I've seen in awhile. Message recieved, sir. I shall mellow.

As far as "personal attacks" I really just don't think I did, but I will go back and look. And if I did, sorry Jimmie. I don't agree with much of what you write, and I definitely take issue with your method of delivery (passing it off as something you know for a fact) but I do not want to be insulting to anyone.

Well, except the munkey.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  3.    #43  
    I love treocentral and it's members, like I've said. I know not everyone will like what I write, I don't like everything others write. I don't try to pass off what I write as fact, if it is I quote the source, it's mostly things I've read, and then post "my opinion" on. Most blogs post their opinions.Guys I respect all your opinions, and it's all good. I just think this thread got a little out of control. I got a little miffed by some things that were said about me, but it's a forum, and we have opinions. I just hope things won't get crazy like this again.

I wouldn't let anything "sour" me, I've learned to not take things said in forums personally.

Thanks Gfunk for keeping this thread up, and checking it out. People are just being opinionated. Things went a little off course, but are getting back on. I'll be more careful in the future

Dr. Doom thanks for the apology, and it's great that you disagree with what I write.
    We can agree to disaggree, and still respect one another.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    *sigh*

Well done! I hope this ends all of this...
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    No you can't. If you could, then you wouldn't be calling what I said "puttin you down". I asked a question initially.
    "Do you EVER have any backing for the things you say."

The simple answer to this question is no.

Where was the "put down"?

Now, if I started talking about your sister and what we did last Saturday, that might be a "put down".
    If I discussed how you smell funny, that might be a "put down".
    And if I began with the third grade fat jokes, that might be a "put down".

Stop being so sensitive.

None of this would be happening if you didn't try to pass yourself off as an "expert" with secret "insider" info when you, in fact, have none.
    Lolllllllllllllllll DrDoom has gat to be the funniest cat on TC! (I'm rolling on the floor in my cubicle) I guess this was just people disagreeing with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I love treocentral and it's members, like I've said. I know not everyone will like what I write, I don't like everything others write. I don't try to pass off what I write as fact, if it is I quote the source, it's mostly things I've read, and then post "my opinion" on. Most blogs post their opinions.Guys I respect all your opinions, and it's all good. I just think this thread got a little out of control. I got a little miffed by some things that were said about me, but it's a forum, and we have opinions. I just hope things won't get crazy like this again.

I wouldn't let anything "sour" me, I've learned to not take things said in forums personally.

Thanks Gfunk for keeping this thread up, and checking it out. People are just being opinionated. Things went a little off course, but are getting back on. I'll be more careful in the future

Dr. Doom thanks for the apology, and it's great that you disagree with what I write.
    We can agree to disaggree, and still respect one another
    Um...you're welcome?
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm
    Well done! I hope this ends all of this...
    Heh. Sorry. Couldn't help laughing.
    It won't.
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by hova
    Lolllllllllllllllll DrDoom has gat to be the funniest cat on TC! (I'm rolling on the floor in my cubicle) I guess this was just people disagreeing with each other.
    I don't know where you're from, but here in Florida you've gotta get to KNOW a guy 'fore you start talking 'bout his "gat"
    It'll be fun.
  9.    #49  
    I mean it as a sincere thank you
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, you have the same problem as Jeff. Whats wrong with saying "I think", "I believe", "I have heard" etc. Unless you have piles of evidence stop being so sure of yourself and your pronouncements. It especially grates when people KNOW you must be wrong (e.g. the Symbian thing). You will probably ignore this, but this is one of the things that particularly bother me.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Jimmie, you have the same problem as Jeff. Whats wrong with saying "I think", "I believe", "I have heard" etc. Unless you have piles of evidence stop being so sure of yourself and your pronouncements. It especially grates when people KNOW you must be wrong (e.g. the Symbian thing). You will probably ignore this, but this is one of the things that particularly bother me.

Surur
    Your right in the money Surur
  12.    #52  
    Why are we doing this again? Gfunk stepped in, and we were supposed to stop this. Surur had to start it up even after Gfunk warned.

We all know that there is a symbian prototype that Palm made, engadget, and other sites have been talking about it, not just myelf. I never said it was coming to market. I make mistakes, and I'll admit them. Surur you get way too nasty, I am not ignoring this. I am tired of you putting me down, you got banned from many other forums due to this. If you don't like what I write don't read it. The moderators are watching this thread already, keep to the subject instead of slandering me. If not I will contact gfunk. Treocentral fourms were a great place to come to, you alone are making it an unpleasant experience. I really hope you'll stop.
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 11/10/2005 at 01:03 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Jimmie, I certainly do not want to be banned. My post was an attempt to try and give you some advice (which you obviously did not take that way). You notice that posts did not involve any name calling, just advice...

In my "do not ban me" defence I will state that:
    1) I was not the first one to get on the "whats wrong with Jimmie" bandwagon.
    2) I hope my post was simple valid critisism.
    3) Jimmie seems to be unusally focussed on me, when there's 4 or 5 people in this thread who question his journalistic skills.

Jimmie, I thought you were intent on developing a thick skin, as mentioned in the recent 1src editorial. As Jeff tried to teach you "Dont feed the trolls"

I hope in the future you can take honest advice in the spirit it was intended.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    We all know that there is a symbian prototype that Palm made, engadget, and other sites have been talking about it, not just myelf.
    No we don't! There's been no evidence of that other than your passing along a rumor that's been denied. It's certainly possible, and arguably probable, but it's far from confirmed fact. Stop spreading your rumors as fact!

Jimmie, you were Engadget's source for the Symbian article. I don't know how you can honestly cite them as support.

This is what surur said:
    After Colligan's explicit denial I still have not seen you write a retraction, but instead you posted the "adding more fuel to the fire" thread. I have so far only seen one person adding fuel to the Symbian Treo story, and that appears to be you.
    This is exactly what I've been thinking for the past week. You said a couple times that when you make mistakes, you admit them. But you still have not admitted your mistake about Symbian. You've done the exact opposite.
  15.    #55  
    Engadget ran the story I wrote. The source of the information was not me, it was emailed to me by someone. Engadget then picked up my story. What are you not getting? There was a source that I got the information from, I didn't dream it up.

The mistaake about symbian? I stand by my story that Palm did make a treo running symbian. Ed Colligan can deny that they will be making them, that does not have anything to do with my story, the fact that he's talking about it makes people wonder. I'll admit mistakes I stande by what I wrote about them fueling the fire, it's my OPINION!!

Can the bickering stop already?
    Jimmie Geddes
    The bickering will stop when you stop saying things that aren't true.

You don't understand what a source in journalism is. If you pass along information, you're a source.

By your definition, your source isn't a source either if he originally got the information from someone else.
  17.    #57  
    I'm not saying things that aren't true. But thanks for the advice.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I'm not saying things that aren't true.
    You say a lot of things that aren't true.

Some minor ones:
    "We all know that there is a symbian prototype that Palm made" - No we don't.
    "I am not the "source" in the article." - From another thread. You are the source. You just don't understand what a source is.
    "I'm not saying things that aren't true." - Partly recursive, but yeah, you are.

And here's the big one you haven't come clean on:
    On or around September 26, Ed Colligan was asked about a Symbian Treo, and he denied it.
    On October 11, you announced to the world that a Symbian Treo was "in the works" for both CDMA and GSM.
    On November 1, CBROnline quoted Colligan again denying plans to put out a Symbian Treo.
    On November 3, you backtracked, saying that you believed they at least made a Symbian Treo, but are not going to release it.
    You've since stated that you stand by your original article, apparently missing the distinction between a canceled prototype and an active project.

If Ed Colligan is to be believed, then the Symbian Treo was dead by September 26, if it existed at all, and your article saying that a Symbian Treo was "in the works" on October 11 was wrong.

If everything you've said is true, then:
    a) Ed Colligan was lying on September 26 but telling the truth just over a month later when he repeated his denial; and
    b) the Symbian Treo was canceled sometime between October 11 and November 1
    I don't think even you believe that's the case.
    samkin,

just because palm denies a symbian treo doesn't mean there's not one.

palm denied a WM treo for its 2 years of development. I was told flat out by a palm exec, no WM. well he lied.

a symbian treo would make sense down the road given palms new European r&d center. ask what do carriers want there? they wanted WM in US, palm gave it to them. if they want symbian? Palm says "No." no way they do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdts
    samkin,

just because palm denies a symbian treo doesn't mean there's not one.

palm denied a WM treo for its 2 years of development. I was told flat out by a palm exec, no WM. well he lied.
    PalmOne mulls other OS choices report

By Andrew Orlowski in San Francisco
    Published Thursday 29th January 2004 05:56 GMT

Vesey Crichton, PalmOne's European chief, has suggested that the handheld company is open to considering other operating systems - and praised Nokia for "fantastic" work in promoting its phone platforms.

Palm OS isn't viewed internally as a religion, Chrichton told Swedish handheld magazine Allt om Handdatorer. He says that Nokia/Symbian connectivity isn't quite as good as it should be, which is a bit of an understatement.

PalmOne is the hardware side of Palm Computing and now formally incorporates Handspring. Neither Palm nor Handspring has ever produced a non-Palm OS device, although in the past Handspring CEO and Palm founder Jeff Hawkins has expressed his impatience with Palm's progress in modernizing the operating system his team wrote in the mid 1990s. The former software side of Palm, PalmSource, recently released version 6.0, the biggest overhaul in the history of the operating system - although you wouldn't know it from the company's web page, which only mentions version 5.0.

Funnily enough, the web site also prominently features the Fossil watch - which was abandoned recently.

In Europe, PalmOne has seen its leadership in the shrinking PDA market taken by HP.

PalmOne won't be short of suitors. Candidates include two Symbian-based offerings - Nokia's Series 60 and UIQ - Linux and - although it seems unthinkable - Microsoft's Smartphone platform. But a few years ago, it was unthinkable that Psion would be promoting Windows CE as its primary operating system, as it is now.

In the past Nokia and Palm collaborated on a project to put Palm's user interface onto a Symbian core, and Symbian and Palm once talked vaguely of releasing joint roadmaps. Such talk was buried as the PDA company geared up for an IPO. At one stage Palm even evaluated Linux as the foundation for future devices, but couldn't convince the lawyers that GPL software was a safe bet, and wound up buying Be's development team. Motorola has since validated Linux on smartphones.

How serious PalmOne really is about becoming a platform-agnostic hardware company remains to be seen: but such remarks will surely make its negotiations with PalmSource's licensing division all the more interesting.

PalmOne laid off 100 staff last week as a result of the Handspring merger. But it has a hit on its hands with the well-received Treo 600 and can't make enough of them.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/01...er_os_choices/

We now know they hooked up with MS soon after this in February 2004. They may have been open to Symbian before then, but I'm sure they were not after that. I remember many articles after when they emphasized that they were a an OS agnostic hardware company, and I do not recall them publicly denying a WM device.

The fact that they did not tell you the truth regarding the WM Treo in private merely indicated that they did not trust you with their big secret.

Surur
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast