1.    #1  
    I am a very long time Palm OS user and something of a Handspring loyalist, so this is a painful entry for me to make.

I have been using my Treo 650 since early July, and after my early enthusiasm for the product and service I have definately soured on my experience.

Some of my issues are Verizon-related, but most are specific to the Treo and the Palm OS.

The instablility of the device is sometimes maddening. I am using mostly included apps and I have the following, recurring issues -

Syncronizing my contacts between Outlook and my Treo invariably results in my database entries breeding like rabbits. Unless I turn the sync contacts feature to off, permanently I get ongoing replication. This is such a common issue with Palm OS and the Outlook conduit that there are third party apps like UnDupe that exist simply to address the problem. What the heck is the big deal? Contact replication has been an issue with Palm for years now and it continues to be.

Versamail frequently dumps everything while I am on the road, especially when I am toggling between email and the text messaging app. The problem with this is - philosophically - that reloading emails while on the road, in bulk, would count against my data download plan, much to the delight of Verizon. Clearly the $44 Verizon Unlimited Data plan is the ONLY way to go, but for those who opt for the lower cost data/megabyte plan, the inherent instability of the software presents a risk/burden to the user that just plain sucks.

Not specifically either a Treo or Verizon issue for me is that Avantgo frequently dumps my login information, then maddenly goes through the data download process of updating my device, only to greet me with a login screen that won't allow me to access the data it has already downloaded until I "return to home base" and go online to clear my login cache from the Avantgo site.

Lastly - as a phone - my Treo reception is abysmal. I have been a Verizon customer for years now, so I am intimately familiar with my local coverage area's strengths and weaknesses. My last cellphone was an LG 4400 which got great coverage in my office and on the road between my office and home. My Treo - in the same coverage area - can barely hold a call. I have had to adjust the way in which I use my cell on the road because, while under way, I am hard pressed to make calls longer than thirty seconds.

The Bluetooth headset my phone came bundled with - a Motorola offering that is the standard Verizon bundle - is completely useless. The sound volume is far too low to be audible, a complaint that ran rampant over the product in Amazon customer feedback...

Needless to say I am chagrinned about having spent over $400 on a phone/pda system that is as unreliable as my Treo. When it works, it is fantastic and does everything I had hoped, but when it lets me down for the second or third time in as many days...it makes me want to scale the thing out the window of my moving car.

This was a tough entry for me to make, as I am not a crybaby, techno-incompetant, or a serial griper. I want my Treo to work and I want to say good things about it - but I struggle. I would have to say that after three months of extensive use, that my customer satisfaction rating would be low.
    wow, sorry to hear that. I've only had my treo a month or so, but i've not had nearly as many problems as yourself. i tried 3 different bt headsets until i finally ordered teh Palm one. it's much better then the moto ones. The only issue i've had with reliability is maybe once a week or so my treo just soft resets out of the blue, well, it's only once a week i notice. I did try and u se the versa mail and was completely not impressed. I am currently useing the Snaper Mail trial and will be purchasing it quite soon. Best of luck!
    Did you do a clean install of programs or did you import them from another palm? Have you upgraded to the latest firmware?
    hmmn. i have a verizon treo, hardware B, ROM 1.03 and the thing is flawless. i keep about 6MB RAM free and I did not install Versamail or Avantgo. i sync with Palm Desktop. my coverage is incredible.
    i agree -- it is not great
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    hmmn. i have a verizon treo...and the thing is flawless. i keep about 6MB RAM free and I did not install Versamail or Avantgo.
    I strongly suspect that the people who don't have the issues that I do - like yourself to a certain extent - aren't using the same apps, or using them as extensively as I do. There are probably alot of people out there with 25 contacts that are replicating themselves...and they just don't notice or care - that doesn't mean that there isn't an issue for those of us with 2500 contacts. The same goes with Versamail. Its not stable and it bears an added responsibility because it comes bundled with most Treo 650s and it is a Palm product...it should work better than it does.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Keefer -

You should do a hard reset and delete and then reinstall your palm software on your desktop. I use the treo to hot sync calendar and contacts and I have never had a replication issue - it in fact is very stable. You must have corrupted the Palm software in some manner.

Also, I agree with you that versamail is unstable and it may in fact be part of the reason that you are having the replication issues with contacts. I recommend that you switch to Chatter, which if you can do through an IMAP/idle enabled email account you can receive real time push email. Chatter is very stable right now, particularly if you don't upgrade every day. It costs $39 for a license, but it is well worth it.

If you follow those 2 steps I will be surprised if your treo isn't much more stable. Lastly, make sure that you've done the most recent VZW rom upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko
    hmmn. i have a verizon treo, hardware B, ROM 1.03 and the thing is flawless. i keep about 6MB RAM free and I did not install Versamail or Avantgo. i sync with Palm Desktop. my coverage is incredible.
    Isn't Versamail in the ROM
    It always atsounds me that people think:

Versamail problems = Treo 650 problems

When actually,

Versamail problems = Versamail problems

If Outlook Express was acting up on you, would you blame Windows? Your PC?

Anyway, the solution is to get a real email program. ChatterEmail is so great, sometimes I want to pee my pants. Well, not really, but you get the idea... ;-)

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    IRT Versamail:

If you have Versamail automatically check your email and select only unread messages, it will only download the new emails. But.... if you do a manual email "get" it will redownload everything.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst

When actually,
    -Warr
    Therein lies the problem as Palm and Treo try to move into a broader audience of cell phone users. The contacts in my LG VX 4400 never failed. Never lost one, one never replicated. When I checked my email on that phone - through the web browser - it was always there. Never crashed. The patience I have with my Treo is based upon almost ten years of PDA experience - the Treo 650 is more PDA than phone. I imagine that if I was new to the concept and if a quality cell were my only comparison that I might be OUTRAGED at how unstable and unpredictable my new Treo was. As it is I am merely discouraged.
    Quote Originally Posted by wernst

When actually,

Ahem....actually,

Outlook Express problems = Microsoft problems....

And Thus:

VersaMail problems = Palm problems

just as

Treo problems = Palm problems

Unfortunately, your propensity for "peeing your pants" (much like your inaccurate comparisons) can quickly become EVERYONE ELSE's problem...but that Depends...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by delta_baggage
    ...but that Depends...

Depends. Peeing yourself. Nice comeback!
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The only time I have problems with duplicates is when I try to synch any Palm device on two computers or two Palms on one computer. And it's usually on the first synch.
    1. i have 3,337 contacts, 775 memos, and 4,717 calendar events.

2. Versamail is not included in the Verizon Treo ROM.

3. Applications Installed:

1. BackupBuddyVFS Professional
    2. BDicty English Thesaurus Dictionary
    3. Directory Assistant
    4. Documents To Go
    5. FileZ
    6. HolidayUSA
    7. Invisible
    8. Loan Wizard Pro
    9. Random Numbers
    10. Secret!
    11. Soft Reset
    12. Zagat To Go

4. What's your Hardware and ROM version?

5. What Apps do you have installed?

6. How much free RAM left?
    Have you done a roaming update by dialing *228 then hitting 2 after it answers? I have a Verizon Treo 650 and my reception is awesome. It's better than my wifes Samsung ACH-a630 and my parents LG VX3300's. It's the best phone reception I've had in the last 5 years and I travel extensively and live in an outlying area. I'm on my phone 2,800 minutes/month btw so I'm not a light user. I'd try updating your roaming tables if you haven't already and if you still aren't getting good reception complain and try to exchange your phone - there must be something wrong.