Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    Not gospel. Just credible.
    These guys manage $100 million. Not a big fund, but they're not some random schmoes with a PC and a blog.
    I guess how that's how you differentiate yourself from these CEOs.

I've worked with several CEOs. Some were very smart. Others were nothing but smiling shells who had some very good people who did all the work. Then there were those who got there because they came from big money and/or being graced with the gift of incredible good fortune when someone bought out their prior bonehead deals with an even bigger bonehead deal...

But that's a different point. The point is that these CEOs will say whatever suits them to the street. Unless there is something that will pin them into a corner, much of the stuff that surfaces is puffing.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Even if the new Treo 700p has just an EVDO radio, I think people will still upgrade for that alone. How many will upgrade? I don't know. If Sprint keeps EVDO the same price as vision (I think I read that somewhere) then it would be cool. For a LOT of 600 users, I think the upgrade would definitely be worth it.
    Not here. Verizon can stuff it up.... well, you know. They've finished with raping me and all their users for $45 Internet. The gig is over.
    Sprint is keeping the same price for EV-DO as their Vision prices. A friend of mine just switched to Sprint from Verizon to get a Treo 650, he said the data prices were reason alone to swtich.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Dr. Doom those are some nice "upgrades" I am also getting the itch EV-DO will be the clincher for me. I love my Treo 650, having EV-DO would justify it
    ...honestly I'm not holding my breath. I don't know what's going to come out, but I just don't see it being "better". I mean, the BT I mentioned alone will be something that you'll have to USE to find out if it's worth it. EVDO will be nice, but again, when will I have it? I hope it won't take Sprint long (there is A LOT of money on this island) but we are definitely not a "metro" market. Fairly popular vacation spot for bigwigs (CEO's and such), but is that enough?
    Usability, OS, number of bugs, these are all things I've never factored into an upgrade before. I am almost always the "early adopter" in my crowd, but this time around I'm not sure I will be. Memory is also an issue for me. After the firmware updates I've been ok, but, for example, this morning I wanted to download Robert's new Callfilter 1.3 (What a program! If ever something was written for "pimps" and "players"!) and even though I show 2.2megs left on the Treo and the program's 319k it tells me I don't have enough memory! Then I tried to put it on my SD card (not even sure that would've worked) and discovered I've filled that damn thing up too!
    It's annoying. I don't see anything coming out that makes me wanna "jump ship", but that's not to say I won't. The 6700 definitely isn't it now that I've got two friends who own them, and one's GOT to have Windows for his job, and the other will probably return it in exchange for a 650 this weekend.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Yeah, I read a bad review of the the PPC 6700, it looks great in theory. Your friend will be making a good decision,lol.
    Yeah, after the ROM upgrade we got a little more memory, but Palm "needs" to give us more memory with the Treo 700p. I think they will. I am loving my Treo 650, and I know what you're talking about with the OS bugs of a new device. I have a Palm TX, and they've finally released a device that is stable from the release. It seems someone at Palm used this device before they released it, unlike the LifeDrive.
    Jimmie Geddes
    I haven't heard too many positive things abou tthat 6700 either. I considered it at one point cuz of EVDO but alot of complaints turned me off.

Better camera and EVDO and that's all I need. The streaming stuff would be cool too, and GPS would def be nice, considering the regular Sprint phones can do this with an application and not a $100+ add-on like the Treos.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaggrey
    I haven't heard too many positive things abou tthat 6700 either. I considered it at one point cuz of EVDO but alot of complaints turned me off.

Better camera and EVDO and that's all I need. The streaming stuff would be cool too, and GPS would def be nice, considering the regular Sprint phones can do this with an application and not a $100+ add-on like the Treos.
    ...after I posted that this morning a customer came in with complaint about his new 6700 that the Sprint store had "upgraded" him to from a 650 because he complained about the infamous "won't hang up when I switch over to another caller in call waiting" issue. When I showed him DEFINITIVELY that it does as long as the other party hangs up when you tell them good-bye (I know many of you don't think it does, but it does people, and this thread isn't the place to start arguing about it) he got angry and said it was junk anyway. Course, then I reminded him that he couldn't even sync his 6700 without a mini-SD card (which is the problem he came in with) so I wasn't
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I'd definitely upgrade for EV-DO. Sprint has just introduced their new EV-DO plans with Power Vison. They are the cheapest around.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000997065749/

Their Power Vision Access Pack, the lowest-end service, includes all you-can-eat unlimited EV-DO for $15 a month (and includes streaming news and music)

The Power Vision Plus Pack goes for $20 a month, and includes unlimited imaging (i.e. MMS), and Sprint TV Plus (streaming content from ABC News, Fuel, Fuse, Fox News/Sports, etc.)

The Power Vision Ultimate Pack is $25 a month, and includes all of the above plus yet more channels (including NBC, ESPN, Discover, TLC, etc.).
    EVDO would not be enough for me to upgrade. I'd need to see a better Bluetooth implementation first. I'm so disgusted w/ the T650's BT that I'm considering switching over to a WM05 device or a two-device setup. To me, the phone is the MOST important function of the device, next is PDA, then data. Granted, EVDO would be a great upgrade, but I use about 2500 voice minutes per month. I need to have a phone that works great, and BT is important to me.
    without wifi I will not waiste another $600 for a new Treo. What just so I can have EVDO & a new casing?!!
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Not here. Verizon can stuff it up.... well, you know. They've finished with raping me and all their users for $45 Internet. The gig is over.
    Don't blame Verizon for raping me. I had it coming. I deserved it. I practically was begging for it. And because Verizon is loaded with EVDO, I'll just lay down, pull my skirt back and ask for some more.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSam
    I need to have a phone that works great, and BT is important to me.
    That and wifi
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    without wifi I will not waiste another $600 for a new Treo. What just so I can have EVDO & a new casing?!!
    I agree treoneo! A new Treo with no capable means of WiFi, and not that sled junk, means no purchase for me. So what if it will drain the battery fast, we have replaceable batteries now and a craptacular USB Cradle/Charger which syncs depending on which way the wind is blowing. Therefore, in my mind there is no excuse for the next PalmOS-based Treo not to have WiFi. It better also have EVDO, BT 1.2, SD 1.1 and more memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    Uhh... why? Seriously, if the next gen palmos Treo has 1xEvDo, then why do you care about wifi at all? You will have basically the same bandwidth via either radio so who cares?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Don't blame Verizon for raping me. I had it coming. I deserved it. I practically was begging for it. And because Verizon is loaded with EVDO, I'll just lay down, pull my skirt back and ask for some more.
    i felt violated too back in my verizon days, clearly the best service out there imho but there prices showed how proud they were of that fact,now i'm with sprint and i love the plan i'm on....and the service is pretty good too...i wouldnt go back to them for anything now, not even for the 700w.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    There's a big difference between consentual and non-consentual plooking. With EVDO and WiFi out and available, it's a major insult to tell your customers that others will get twice the service at the same price because they know you have no choice but to ante up.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    There's a big difference between consentual and non-consentual plooking. With EVDO and WiFi out and available, it's a major insult to tell your customers that others will get twice the service at the same price because they know you have no choice but to ante up.

Just curious, but why exactly do you want wifi for anyway? For me, if the next gen palmos treo has 1xEvDo (via unlimited Sprint plans even better), then why would I care about wifi at all? The browsing experience will be relatively the same speed while 1xEvDo WAN coverage will far surpass wifi, and finally there is the power consumption issue. The only reason for wifi imo would be for VoIP, but probably even that could probably be done via 1xEvDo anyway...

But anyway, I do agree wif would be nice, especailly since other similarly priced devices will have it. I just view it as a critical factor that's all...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Just curious, but why exactly do you want wifi for anyway? For me, if the next gen palmos treo has 1xEvDo (via unlimited Sprint plans even better), then why would I care about wifi at all? The browsing experience will be relatively the same speed while 1xEvDo WAN coverage will far surpass wifi, and finally there is the power consumption issue. The only reason for wifi imo would be for VoIP, but probably even that could probably be done via 1xEvDo anyway...

But anyway, I do agree wif would be nice, especailly since other similarly priced devices will have it. I just view it as a critical factor that's all...
    This issue has been discussed here ad nauseam. There are some here who view Wi-Fi as being "free" and who do not value coverage. I agree with you.
    I'm thinking WiFi would allow net access (i.e.: VoIP, LAN, etc.) to happen from their device independent of the cellular network provider which in most cases would result in saving money.

As far as the power consumption issue, considering the Treo 650 sports a replaceable battery and the USB cradle has a slot for recharging a 2nd battery, I could live with it.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    ---
    Handspring Visor Pro + Samsung 8500 (Sprint PCS) -> Handspring Treo 600 (Sprint PCS) -> Palm Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Sony-Ericsson P990 if S-E releases a North-America version
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    This issue has been discussed here ad nauseam. There are some here who view Wi-Fi as being "free" and who do not value coverage. I agree with you.
    Yes, we view wi-fi as an alternative to being tied to a proprietary data contract.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I thought this thread started out as "700p in December" so what happened to the December release?

Hmmmmmm...no takers I see. What's the line on Hollywood and Lowrider being WM5 devices? Even at $499 (without contract) on Cingular the HTC 8125 waxes the Palm Treo prices.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast