Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 325
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I kid you not. When I was in Radio Shack this afternoon, the girl behind the counter had a dog that was nosing around the PC on display. He typed out "Treo 700p in April" with his nose. Rumor has it that he runs in the same dog run as the dog owned by Palm's CEO.
    I WORK for the 'shack! Leave my dog out of this!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  2. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    I WORK for the 'shack! Leave my dog out of this!
    Nuts -- sorry man, I forgot. This occurred in Best Buy, which is a slightly more credible source.

    Keep the faith and keep those leaks coming guys! Reliable sources say it is coming in April!
  3. #103  
    Mobileread is saying January for the Treo 700p.
    Jimmie Geddes
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Nuts -- sorry man, I forgot. This occurred in Best Buy, which is a slightly more credible source.

    Keep the faith and keep those leaks coming guys! Reliable sources say it is coming in April!
    Was it the sixteen year old stoner's dog, or the twenty-two year old video gamer mama's boy's dog?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Mobileread is saying January for the Treo 700p.
    We KNOW Jimmie, but how do THEY know?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  6. #106  
    http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5394

    It's right in the pdf, check it out.

    page 10 :
    "We know that PALM will introduce four new models in CY 06.
    In January they will introduce the already announced Treo 700 Windows which will be a
    Verizon exclusivity it will be the first EV-DO Treo on the market .Around the same time
    we believe PALM will launch a Treo 700p running PALM OS on the Sprint network,
    both devices will keep same form factor and will capitalize on the Treo strong foothold in
    the US enterprise Market.
    We also learned that PALM will be launching two new products around March 06
    codenamed “Hollywood” and “Lowrider”. According to the Morgan Stanley analyst in
    Asia (covers HTC) the estimate production output will be 200K devices/month.

    “Hollywood” will be a fancier 3G/GSM smartphone which will represent PALM first
    attempt at the European GSM market. We know the phone will have no external antenna
    and will probably he launched by Cingular in the US.

    “Lowrider” will be a sub-$300 devices utilizing previous generation radios and providing
    PALM with an entry level PDA.
    Jimmie Geddes
  7. #107  
    The pdf also mentions treocentral and a few other sites:
    "PALM is second only to RIMM in US market share (31%) and continues to growing
    faster than the overall market. The Treo 650 is clearly the leading smartphone today
    (See exhibit 2). Palm product pipeline looks really promising for 2006.
    Also note huge popularity of Treo line with numerous websites exclusively on the subject
    (Treocentral, Mytreo.net, Treonauts) Mytreo.net recently announced 100K registered to
    his website.
    Overtime Palm first mover advantage can also create some kind of stickiness to its form
    factor and can spur a product upgrade cycle."
    Jimmie Geddes
  8. #108  
    This is how they know.
    Jimmie Geddes
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    The pdf also mentions treocentral and a few other sites:
    "PALM is second only to RIMM in US market share (31%) and continues to growing
    faster than the overall market. The Treo 650 is clearly the leading smartphone today
    (See exhibit 2). Palm product pipeline looks really promising for 2006.
    Also note huge popularity of Treo line with numerous websites exclusively on the subject
    (Treocentral, Mytreo.net, Treonauts) Mytreo.net recently announced 100K registered to
    his website.
    Overtime Palm first mover advantage can also create some kind of stickiness to its form
    factor and can spur a product upgrade cycle."
    That makes it sound a little more informed, but I don't have timeto read .pdf files. That's what I have you for!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  10. #110  
    I don't mind Thats why I copied it for everyone, I know everyone doesn't have time to read pdf files. If anyone wants to read the whole pdf here's a link.

    http://www.sagioinvest.com/reps/Palm_SAGIO_Research.pdf
    Jimmie Geddes
  11. #111  
    What do you guys want the Treo 700p to include? This is the first time we've seen on paper (pdf) a Treo 700p from Sprint, not just "heard" about it.
    Jimmie Geddes
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    What do you guys want the Treo 700p to include? This is the first time we've seen on paper (pdf) a Treo 700p from Sprint, not just "heard" about it.
    ...ok, I've only read two pages in and this seems faked. The syntax on the first page "Due to this dynamics PALM...". Shouldn't that be "Due to THESE dynamics PALM...". I'll admit I could be nitpicking here, but anyone telling me how to invest should have a proper grasp of the English languag.
    Second problem. On page two it refers to "RIMM" as a company. I could be wrong, but isn't it just "RIM"?
    I'll read on and see if there's anything else. Additionally, anyone tried to "google" this investment company?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Mobileread is saying January for the Treo 700p.
    On the same page they talk about the Motorola Q. Imagine a device so much better than a Treo that one would pay $2500- for it. There is all kinds of fantasy on that page.
  14. #114  
    Yeah, I'd like to see something from another source.

    LG VX9800
    Motorola HS-850
    Linksys USBBT100
    Mobile Crossing BT GPS

    (R.I.P.)
    VZW Treo 650
    Treo Side Case
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    ...ok, I've only read two pages in and this seems faked. The syntax on the first page "Due to this dynamics PALM...". Shouldn't that be "Due to THESE dynamics PALM...". I'll admit I could be nitpicking here, but anyone telling me how to invest should have a proper grasp of the English languag.
    Second problem. On page two it refers to "RIMM" as a company. I could be wrong, but isn't it just "RIM"?
    I'll read on and see if there's anything else. Additionally, anyone tried to "google" this investment company?
    RIMM is the ticker symbol. It's not uncommon for analysts to casually refer to companies by their symbol, though they usually strictly keep it all caps. This report has one sentence beginning, "Rimm is facing..."

    Sagio is a tiny firm - a small handful of well educated guys. They're European, so you might forgive them for their English mistakes. One of the managing partners is apparently also the webmaster. This ain't no Morgan Stanley.

    This report also cites an analyst at another firm as a source of key information. I've never seen that before.

    That said, they have met with Palm's CFO, and their sources are likely industry insiders, not random posts on message boards. If they say that they "know" that Palm is going to release four new models in 2006, I'd say it sounds credible to me.

    But then again, I've misplaced my trust before.
  16. slinky's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    This report also cites an analyst at another firm as a source of key information. I've never seen that before.

    That said, they have met with Palm's CFO, and their sources are likely industry insiders, not random posts on message boards. If they say that they "know" that Palm is going to release four new models in 2006, I'd say it sounds credible to me.

    But then again, I've misplaced my trust before.
    Ahh... so I guess you are familiar with corporate America. But you are the authority as you have never seen such before.

    This is all baseless speculation. People here are so excited to lap up the news that they will look for any way they can to rationalize that what they are reading is the gospel. Whatever it is, it is. It's an document that comes with no substantiation. Unless there is a clear indicia of it being fraudulent, this expert analysis is of limited value.
  17. #117  
    Not gospel. Just credible.
    These guys manage $100 million. Not a big fund, but they're not some random schmoes with a PC and a blog.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    Unless there is a clear indicia of it being fraudulent, this expert analysis is of limited value.
    Last edited by samkim; 11/21/2005 at 01:18 AM.
  18. #118  
    Ive read that pdf, and it sounds as if its written by a 4 year old. The make several gross errors e.g.saying Nokia has only 17% of the world smartphone market. They claim the Treo is on the same path as the Ipod, which even fans think is highly unrealistic. They make some good points, but nothing which has not been said on these boards before. Quoting the presence of fan web site in a financial report is just plain rediculous.

    The kicker is that they are a hedge fund that makes money from fluctuations in the stock market, and they concentrate on small cap companies, where the stock is more volatile. The have bought about 5% of Palm recently, and is now the third biggest single share holder. This is not referenced in the article anywhere.

    They have not said anything new, except for the Sprint Treo 700p. Anything they write to pump up the stock is clearly in their own self-interest, and should be seen in that light.

    <edited by gfunkmagic>
    Last edited by Gaurav; 11/21/2005 at 06:16 PM.
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The kicker is that they are a hedge fund that makes money from fluctuations in the stock market, and they concentrate on small cap companies, where the stock is more volatile. The have bought about 5% of Palm recently, and is now the third biggest single share holder. This is not referenced in the article anywhere.
    5%??? That would be $65 million. Geez. That's certainly incentive to hype the stock.

    And I agree their analysis isn't quite professional, but I'm not very interested in their forecasts or their recommendations. I'm focused on the "facts" they cite, and whether it's likely they received their information from a credible source.

    They say that Hollywood and Lowrider are launching "around" March 2006. That's news. You think they're making stuff up?

    They have about as much credibility as our friend J.
    Ouch. That's a bit harsh I think.
  20. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The kicker is that they are a hedge fund that makes money from fluctuations in the stock market, and they concentrate on small cap companies, where the stock is more volatile. The have bought about 5% of Palm recently, and is now the third biggest single share holder. This is not referenced in the article anywhere.

    They have not said anything new, except for the Sprint Treo 700p. Anything they write to pump up the stock is clearly in their own self-interest, and should be seen in that light. They have about as much credibility as our friend J.Surur
    Right on the money, Surur. As I read thru this thread, the thing that kept running thru my mind was how many "analyst" reports and "analyses" I have read touting a particular company or stock only to find out that the analyst or his company had a financial motive in cheerleading the stock. This is part of what Sarbanes-Oxley is all about. This is way to get a nice new striped jump suit and free room and board for a while. Or a hefty fine. I have found that Sarbanes-Oxley has reached far beyond the borders of the US because in our new smaller world everyone is doing business with some company in the US. Those US companies are making sure that the misdeeds of suppliers don't cause them to inadvertently violate S-O. When top management has its neck on the line, they force everyone to comply.

    I don't know if any of their speculation is true or untrue. But if they have a financial stake in Palm, their statements are suspect out of the gate.

    Jimmy - I have read the attacks on you here and I find them a little over the top. But this is EXACTLY why you are being attacked. You can't just repeat information as gospel without first vetting it at least a little.

Posting Permissions