Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ghileman
    Boy, if it's true that the GSM follow-up to the 650 is not coming out until end of '06 then I'm going to be one very unhappy Treo user.

I'm in SF and UMTS has been available here for a year now. I've loyally and patiently waited for Palm to issue a GSM UMTS Treo, and to hear this at least semi-credibile report is disturbing. In fact, it seems a little hard to believe given Palm's typical product rollout cycle. I mean end of yr '06 would put a new GSM replacement at nearly two years! How do they think they can get away with that and not lose customers? Am I missing something here??
    No. No, I don't think so. However, you should keep in mind that you were quoting Perry. Perry believes that he has God's ear. When one speculates about Palm's schedule, what is a year one way or the other?
    Yeah, but his quote came from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/04/pal...s03_print.html
    Last edited by ronbo2000; 11/07/2005 at 06:55 PM. Reason: fix link
    Off to iPhone land...
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Yeah, but his quote came from Forbes:

http://www.forbes.com/2005/11/04/pal...s03_print.html
    ghileman -

I read the same quote (below). It seemed a little confusing to me at first. I think they are saying the Cingular version would ship close to the end of May (Palm's end of fiscal year). The Sprint version would ship earlier in the 4th quarter. You could read it to mean that Forbes is speculating that the Cingular version would ship at the end of the calendar year.

"The replacement for the Treo 650, also with an EVDO radio, will ship in fiscal fourth quarter ending May to Verizon Wireless and also probably to Sprint Nextel (nyse: S - news - people ), Kalla said. A version with a UMTS radio could ship to Cingular Wireless, likely closer to the end of the year. "We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release." Cingular is a joint venture of SBC Communications (nyse: SBC - news - people ) and BellSouth (nyse: BLS - news - people ). "

whmurray -

Before you attack someone, you really ought to check your facts.
    I read the Forbes paragraph as:

Verizon / Sprint Treo 700p in Palm fiscal 4th qtr ending May 2006
    Cingular, closer to the end of 2006, 4th Q (calendar) 2006 rather than 3rd Q (calendar) 2006 because of a slip in the schedule due to working on the Windows Treo.

I believe Forbes switched in how they were refering to years in mid-paragraph.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/07/2005 at 07:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    No. No, I don't think so. However, you should keep in mind that you were quoting Perry. Perry believes that he has God's ear. When one speculates about Palm's schedule, what is a year one way or the other?
    What was I quoted as saying?

There is my "I believe phrases" which are hope and speculation. Then there was my quote of the Forbes article, thus the change in my signature line to say 2ndQ calendar 2006 (Palm's fiscal Q4 ending May 2006)

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHart
    ghileman -

I read the same quote (below). It seemed a little confusing to me at first. I think they are saying the Cingular version would ship close to the end of May (Palm's end of fiscal year). The Sprint version would ship earlier in the 4th quarter. You could read it to mean that Forbes is speculating that the Cingular version would ship at the end of the calendar year.
    Upon further review I think you may be right about the GSM model shipping end of fiscal year (May/June), not end of calendar year. At least that would certainly make a lot more sense.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Hey, why all the hoopla over the rumored 700p, when we have yet to get the Treo 800g?

Seriously now. This Forbes goody has been a long time coming. I just hope the "700p" will not look like the 700w. The Treo 650 looks much more attractive than the 700w IMO. It's just more sleek and stylish, while the 700w has a boxy, heavy, old-school-IBM look to it. Maybe it's just the WM leeched onto a beloved Treo that twists my stomach?

Also, I read where Colligan spilled the beans in S/F @ M$ footing much of the bill to develop the 700w, while Bill looked on in stunned silence. If they shelled out the dev costs, then I'm sure they established that the 700w form factor would be WM only. I hope this is true, so Palm can make a 700p with fresh new lines and a disappearing antenna.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    I hope this is true, so Palm can make a 700p with fresh new lines and a disappearing antenna.
    If engadget is right, they will:

"The first is codenamed “Hollywood,” and is supposedly going to be a very thin 3G device with no external antenna"

http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000107066688/

Thin is in:

http://cellphones.engadget.com/entry/1234000650066887/
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith
    Hey, why all the hoopla over the rumored 700p, when we have yet to get the Treo 800g?

Seriously now. This Forbes goody has been a long time coming. I just hope the "700p" will not look like the 700w. The Treo 650 looks much more attractive than the 700w IMO. It's just more sleek and stylish, while the 700w has a boxy, heavy, old-school-IBM look to it. Maybe it's just the WM leeched onto a beloved Treo that twists my stomach?

Also, I read where Colligan spilled the beans in S/F @ M$ footing much of the bill to develop the 700w, while Bill looked on in stunned silence. If they shelled out the dev costs, then I'm sure they established that the 700w form factor would be WM only. I hope this is true, so Palm can make a 700p with fresh new lines and a disappearing antenna.
    Gee, that looks just like an HTC Wizard, but I assume its a 320x480 or VGA screen. Of course, we should all wait until 2008 when Palm is ready to tease us for six months of speculation with that form factor rather than the here and now HTC.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Upon further review I think you may be right about the GSM model shipping end of fiscal year (May/June), not end of calendar year. At least that would certainly make a lot more sense.
    Great, only 9 months of gestation until we see the next Palm.
    i imaginer it will be comparable to the motorola razore phone. the one that resembles a Treo..
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Great, only 9 months of gestation until we see the next Palm.
    I agree that this still sucks. This would put my wait for a UMTS Treo at nearly TWO YEARS after UMTS was rolled out in SF.
    Off to iPhone land...
    Look on the bright side. Maybe if the next Treo P doesn't come out until May, EVDO pricing will have dropped to something reasonable that you can sign a 1/2 year contract for.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    I agree that this still sucks. This would put my wait for a UMTS Treo at nearly TWO YEARS after UMTS was rolled out in SF.
    How in the h$!! do you keep smiling like that?
    Palm sure is getting better at keeping a secret. Their lips are sealed about this 700p. I can't believe no leaks yet.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    Look on the bright side. Maybe if the next Treo P doesn't come out until May, EVDO pricing will have dropped to something reasonable that you can sign a 1/2 year contract for.
    Sprints $15 all you can eat is unreasonable?
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Thread titles like this get me going, until I read the thread. . . . .

However, I STILL BELIEVE!

Cheers, Perry.
    I have some property to sell you. Rumor has it that there is a box of prototype Treo 700p phones somewhere in the house but you only have a week to buy because the property is hot! It's REALLY cheap! I'd do it myself but I'm not interested in the 700p. PM me if you're interested asap.
    I'll wait until February . . . . . .
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I'll wait until February . . . . . .
    I kid you not. When I was in Radio Shack this afternoon, the girl behind the counter had a dog that was nosing around the PC on display. He typed out "Treo 700p in April" with his nose. Rumor has it that he runs in the same dog run as the dog owned by Palm's CEO.
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast