Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    first of all there needs to be a complete umts rollout by cingular which is still a bit away. secondly, palm needs to get a windows treo into the market. maybe a upgrade to the 650 for cingular customers (new software upgrade or refreshed handset) i dont think we will see a 700p for a while
    2007, 2010 at the latest.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    2007, 2010 at the latest.
    i am laughing with you, but the problem is that it is a fake laugh there are so many different windows based phones coming out and we have either the 600 or the 650. i love the design of the 650 but the palm os feels as sluggish as my outdated apple 128 sitting in the garage. i will probably take a beating for this on the board, but the 650 is awesome but the palm os feels so dated to me. i was as anxious as everyone else here for the new 650, but the os from palm needs help. even though i love the design of the 650 my thoughts are that i may need to struggle with a windows based phone by next year if a new version of palm is not out there for us
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    i am laughing with you, but the problem is that it is a fake laugh there are so many different windows based phones coming out and we have either the 600 or the 650. i love the design of the 650 but the palm os feels as sluggish as my outdated apple 128 sitting in the garage. i will probably take a beating for this on the board, but the 650 is awesome but the palm os feels so dated to me. i was as anxious as everyone else here for the new 650, but the os from palm needs help. even though i love the design of the 650 my thoughts are that i may need to struggle with a windows based phone by next year if a new version of palm is not out there for us
    I can live with the 650 until Cingular deploys UMTS. At that point, I will want something with a UMTS radio. Cingular advertises that "UMTS service is available in the greater metropolitan areas of Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego and the San Francisco Bay Area." There is nothing on the website to indicate when they will complete nationwide roll out but the issue is clearly not technology. Late 2006 seems late given that Verizon advertises EVDO nationwide and Sprint is not far behind. Of course, they are marketing it for laptops, like Verizon, and at the same price. When Verizon has an EVDO Treo, Cingular may need a UMTS phone to remain competitive. Cingular will not need a Treo but it would have represented an opportunity for Palm.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/06/2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I can live with the 650 until Cingular deploys UMTS. At that point, I will want something with a UMTS radio. Cingular advertises that "UMTS service is available in the greater metropolitan areas of Seattle, Dallas, Detroit, Phoenix, San Diego and the San Francisco Bay Area." There is nothing on the website to indicate when they will complete nationwide roll out but the issue is clearly not technology. Late 2006 seems late given that Verizon advertises EVDO nationwide and Sprint is not far behind. Of course, they are marketing it for laptops, like Verizon, and at the same price. When Verizon has an EVDO Treo, Cingular may need a UMTS phone to remain competitive. Cingular will not need a Treo but it would have represented an opportunity for Palm.
    evdo is rolling out fast. umts has been out for a while with attws but then everything was put on hold because of the cingular buyout of attws. i totally agree with the last line, cingular will have umts eventually but then will cingular need an outdated palm device, even with umts, or will palm need cingular at that point???
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    I took this article to mean the following:

1. Treo 700w out by end of February (read: May)
    2. Treo 650 replacement, which I'm thinking will be nothing more than a Treo hardware version identical to the 700w BUT running POS will be shipping in May (read: September)
    3. "Mid-market Treos" are planned for release early next year. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen til early 2007, especially if #1 and #2 above sell well. With most phones on the market now having more-than-basic synching capabilities, I don't see the need for this. Will it still have a keyboard but less RAM, slower processor, no internet/email capabilities? Who would buy it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tre-i-e-i-o
    I took this article to mean the following:

1. Treo 700w out by end of February (read: May)
    2. Treo 650 replacement, which I'm thinking will be nothing more than a Treo hardware version identical to the 700w BUT running POS will be shipping in May (read: September)
    3. "Mid-market Treos" are planned for release early next year. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't happen til early 2007, especially if #1 and #2 above sell well. With most phones on the market now having more-than-basic synching capabilities, I don't see the need for this. Will it still have a keyboard but less RAM, slower processor, no internet/email capabilities? Who would buy it?
    What makes you so optimistic?
    I will be dancing on a table (for Insertion) with my Sprint Treo 700p by April Fools Day!

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I will be dancing on a table (for Insertion) with my Sprint Treo 700p by April Fools Day!

Cheers, Perry.
    Will silly season end on April Fools Day?
    SillY Season will end when I buy my:

Treo 2700
    w/ 1GB of internal Memory
    a SD slot that will hold a 100GB SD card
    TV Tuner
    FM Radio
    GPS
    1440 by 1440 pixel screen
    EV-DO (times 20)
    WiFi (version 7)
    10 Megapixel Camera with Flash (continuous light for video)
    1 week of battery life on full usage
    All in a Razr thin body

OS? Who cares!
    Year? 2015!

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/06/2005 at 09:33 PM.
    SillY Season will end when I buy my:

Treo 2700
    w/ 1GB of internal Memory
    a SD slot that will hold a 100GB SD card
    TV Tuner
    FM Radio
    GPS
    1440 by 1440 pixel screen
    EV-DO (times 20)
    WiFi (version 7)
    10 Megapixel Camera with Flash (continuous light for video)
    1 week of battery life on full usage
    All in a Razr thin body

OS? Who cares!
    Year? 2015!

Cheers, Perry
    Didn't Forbes mag predict this for late fourth quarter 2006?

In reality, I fully expect we'll see those specs by 2010, if not sooner.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    1 GB of internal memory is pathetic. A competitively sized ipod holds 30 GB.

Really now, Palm is given such low expectations for its products compared to the current glimpses of miniaturization we see in other areas of technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

And true to form, compared to other devices circa 2010, it'll be underpowered.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Yeah, perhaps. But I sometimes wonder if all this worrying about the minutiae (of which I'm as guilty as most) is quite the right thing. If even ten years ago someone had placed any of today's smartphones into my sweaty palm, I'd have been completely wowed. Strangely though, I find that it does matter how much storage memory my phone will have in 2010. I hope we can file this state of mind in the "it's good for a chap to have a hobby" category, but really I'm not so sure it's that healthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss

I was thinking (wanting?) that (2010), but given the 700w and 700p probably will not be fully rolled out to all carriers until sometime in 2007, I decided to "pad" my estimate.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/07/2005 at 07:26 AM.
    I was thinking (wanting?) that (2010), but given the 700w and 700p probably will not be fully rolled out to all carriers untill sometime in 2007, I decided to "pad" my estimate.

Cheers, Perry.
    Heh. Heh heh. You said "pad".
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Heh. Heh heh. You said "pad".
    Should that have been "D-Pad"?
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrGuard
    1 GB of internal memory is pathetic. A competitively sized ipod holds 30 GB.

Really now, Palm is given such low expectations for its products compared to the current glimpses of miniaturization we see in other areas of technology.
    For something like a phone/PDA, I'll take solid state memory any day over a hard drive...even if it's limited to 1-4 Gb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

Now Munk, I never SAID it would be a Palm; I just said we'd see those SPECS by 2010.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Ok - 1 quick cent (because I don't think it's worth two). I was in my local Sprint store over the weekend taking care of something for my wife, and asked if they had any idea about a new Treo. The response I got was before the end of the year. No specifics, no types, nothin. Guy seemed knowledgeable, but don't they all. I put very little worth into anything I hear anymore unless it's from some uber-top secret agent or something
    A version with a UMTS radio could ship to Cingular Wireless, likely closer to the end of the year
    Boy, if it's true that the GSM follow-up to the 650 is not coming out until end of '06 then I'm going to be one very unhappy Treo user.

I'm in SF and UMTS has been available here for a year now. I've loyally and patiently waited for Palm to issue a GSM UMTS Treo, and to hear this at least semi-credibile report is disturbing. In fact, it seems a little hard to believe given Palm's typical product rollout cycle. I mean end of yr '06 would put a new GSM replacement at nearly two years! How do they think they can get away with that and not lose customers? Am I missing something here??
    Off to iPhone land...
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast