Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Welcome Back, Doom!! (Not that you were gone, but you know what I mean!)
    Thank you Perry. My silence was very helpful (spiritually speaking), but it did leave me with a lot of my trademark "DOOM venom" pent up.
    Please understand that my opinions about a Treo 700p are not meant to dash your hopes, simply my view of the world.
    That, and that "Geddes" guy really got on my nerves while I couldn't say anything.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDoom
    Thank you Perry. My silence was very helpful (spiritually speaking), but it did leave me with a lot of my trademark "DOOM venom" pent up.
    Please understand that my opinions about a Treo 700p are not meant to dash your hopes, simply my view of the world.
    That, and that "Geddes" guy really got on my nerves while I couldn't say anything.
    No hopes dashed, I'm the incurable optimist. . . . . . . . . . From the for what it's worth department. . . . . . the two Sprint stores I visit are telling me they have a training session scheduled for January for an as yet unnamed phone/pda. They would not say that it is the 700p (or don't know), but did indicate that similiar sessions have been scheduled before, wink, wink.

We will see. Until they drive the wooden stake thru my heart, I will believe!

Cheers, Perry.
    http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/1...rtner=yahootix

From the Forbes article:
    "Kalla, who rates Palm at "buy," noted that the Windows Treo, with an EVDO radio function, should be in Verizon Wireless stores by the end of the fiscal third quarter ending February. Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon Communications (nyse: VZ - news - people ) and Vodafone (nyse: VOD - news - people ), is the exclusive distributor for the product through mid-2006.

The replacement for the Treo 650, also with an EVDO radio, will ship in fiscal fourth quarter ending May to Verizon Wireless and also probably to Sprint Nextel (nyse: S - news - people ), Kalla said. A version with a UMTS radio could ship to Cingular Wireless, likely closer to the end of the year. "We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release." Cingular is a joint venture of SBC Communications (nyse: SBC - news - people ) and BellSouth (nyse: BLS - news - people ).

Palm will also launch a line of mid-market Treos, with ASPs of about $200, later in fiscal 2006."
    I BELIEVE IN THE 700p. I WILL WILL IT TO HAPPEN. I WILL HAVE IT THIS YEAR, well, maybe Q1 2006
    Maybe you should change the expected timeframe now then!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Maybe you should change the expected timeframe now then!
    The "well, maybe, Q1 2006" covers that. . . .

Cheers, Perry
    I BELIEVE IN THE 700p. I WILL WILL IT TO HAPPEN. I WILL HAVE IT THIS YEAR, well, maybe Q1 2006
    Perry, Palm executives read your posts to their children at bedtime. Their resistance to your will is legendary.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/2005/1...rtner=yahootix

tells us that there will be no unlocked 700 UMTS before 2007.

It is clear from the report that we do not fit their definition of customers. Of course, we have known that for some time. If they ever talk of us, I wonder what they call us.
    From the Forbes article regarding replacement for the 650:

"We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release."

Now this fits in pretty well with how palm has been behaving, IMO. After the big 700w hoopla, no way they would put out a 700p before Gate's baby is released. Plam is spending too much effort slobbering all over Microsoft to do something like that.

At the same time it makes no sense for Palm NOT to release, after the 700w is out, a Garnet based upgrade to the 650 with better camera, a few new bells and wistles and EVDO.:

*There is a large installed 600/650/POS base many of which will be ready for an upgrade soon. On sprint at least, the EVDO/power vision offerings make upgrading attractive.

*The incrimental costs of producing the 700p shouldnt be significantly more than current 650 production., indeed it could actually be more efficent (same camera, case, etc.) for Palm/HTC to make a 700p and 700w at the same time as opposed to 700w and 650.

*There will be no steep learning curve for tech support either at Palm or the carriers in dealing with a 700p over what they know and do now with the 650.

*Given their past relationship, Palm probably "owes" Sprint a new phone to keep it at least as up to date as what they are giving other carriers.

*Lastly, of course, was not reason to call the thing the 700w if there wasnt going to be a 700p! LOL

Note however, none of these points necessarily apply to a POS device beyond the 700p. Moving to Cobalt or PL would likely mean a great deal more work, expense and effort on Palm's part and even if the UI is similar for the user, what the techs would need to know to deal with issues would be quite a bit different.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    From the Forbes article regarding replacement for the 650:

"We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release."

Now this fits in pretty well with how palm has been behaving, IMO. After the big 700w hoopla, no way they would put out a 700p
    before Gate's baby is released. Plam is spending too much effort slobbering all over Microsoft to do something like that.

At the same time it makes no sense for Palm NOT to release, after the 700w is out, a Garnet based upgrade to the 650 with better camera, a few new bells and wistles and EVDO.:

*There is a large installed 600/650/POS base many of which will be ready for an upgrade soon. On sprint at least, the EVDO/power vision offerings make upgrading attractive.

*The incrimental costs of producing the 700p shouldnt be significantly more than current 650 production., indeed it could actually be more efficent (same camera, case, etc.) for Palm/HTC to make a 700p and 700w at the same time as opposed to 700w and 650.

*There will be no steep learning curve for tech support either at Palm or the carriers in dealing with a 700p over what they know and do now with the 650.

*Given their past relationship, Palm probably "owes" Sprint a new phone to keep it at least as up to date as what they are giving other carriers.

*Lastly, of course, was not reason to call the thing the 700w if there wasnt going to be a 700p! LOL

Note however, none of these points necessarily apply to a POS device beyond the 700p. Moving to Cobalt or PL would likely mean a great deal more work, expense and effort on Palm's part and even if the UI is similar for the user, what the techs would need to know to deal with issues would be quite a bit different.
    A version with a UMTS radio could ship to Cingular Wireless, likely closer to the end of the year. "We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release."

They were talking about Cingular with the quote you chose . . . . . . .: 700p Q2 2006, Cingular end of 2006 . . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Not to sound rude but, and? so?

The entire paragraph in Forbes is talking about the replacement of the current 650 as oppossed to the new 700w. The point is a non-windows (and that leaves POS right now) replacement for the 650 is planned but delayed because of the emhasis on the 700w. Doesn't matter which carrier the quoted comment was directed to if any.
    Yeah, I was not the one who said December Shadowmite
    Jimmie Geddes
    Hi Midmofan!!

By your wording -- you made it sound like the 700p was originally scheduled for Q3 and delayed to the end of 2006 . . . . . . the article states the delay was on the Cingular version and the Sprint version woul be out in the fiscal qtr ending with May.

it just seemed to be a mis-statement of what the article was saying . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    Yeah, I was not the one who said December Shadowmite
    You still here?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Hi Midmofan!!

By your wording -- you made it sound like the 700p was originally scheduled for Q3 and delayed to the end of 2006 . . . . . . the article states the delay was on the Cingular version and the Sprint version woul be out in the fiscal qtr ending with May.

it just seemed to be a mis-statement of what the article was saying . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    What is it you are waiting for? 700p? CDMA? Sprint? Verizon? Calendar quarter? Fiscal quarter? I have lost track.
    Sprint Treo 700p w/ EV-DO
    CDMA

Cheers, Perry
    I BELIEVE IN THE 700p. I WILL WILL IT TO HAPPEN. I WILL HAVE IT THIS YEAR, well, maybe Q1 2006, well okay, Q2 2006
    ....and slipping.
    .... . . . . and slipping . . . . .

So true! But the issue as to whether there will be one at all seems to be resolving itself!!

I will buy it, even if it comes out on April Fool's Day!

Cheers, Perry

So true! But the issue as to whether there will be one at all seems to be resolving itself!!

Cheers, Perry
    I don't think you will be the only one either
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Cheers, Perry
    I can assure you that there will be an announcement releasing the 700p on April Fool's Day. In fact, I'm taking pre-orders.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Guys, guys. guys --

Listen to yourselves; your talking 8 to 12 months away for a phone that should be here NOW. The onslaught of HTC WM5 units (Wizard; Faraday; Tornado) alone, which are coming this month to Cingular, are going to be ahead of the feature set of these Palm phones that are as much as a year away. Add to that the HP, Samsung, and Motorola releases in the next 3 months, and Palm will be TWO generations behind by this time next year.

This is like watching Osborne put out "advanced" CPM suitcases while the rest of the world had moved on to IBM and Apple.

WHAT ARE THEY THINKING?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    A version with a UMTS radio could ship to Cingular Wireless, likely closer to the end of the year. "We had previously thought the product would ship in the third quarter, but believe Palm delayed it so it can concentrate on the Windows Treo release."

They were talking about Cingular with the quote you chose . . . . . . .: 700p Q2 2006, Cingular end of 2006 . . . . .

Cheers, Perry

first of all there needs to be a complete umts rollout by cingular which is still a bit away. secondly, palm needs to get a windows treo into the market. maybe a upgrade to the 650 for cingular customers (new software upgrade or refreshed handset) i dont think we will see a 700p for a while
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast