Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617 LastLast
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Big corporations are depressing with their control. I'm so glad I can choose my own devices!! No IT department on my back.

Do they ever compromise and let the employee buy the device of their choice out of their own pocket, as long as it's compatible with the server?
    I have mixed feelings about this. One one hand, if I'm supposed to lug this thing around with me then I want to be able to have some ability to use it for personal tasks as well. Many companies are understanding and the "unofficial" policy allows this, extent depending upon the IT dept.

Here's the problem. I can't begin to tell you how many people have infected the corporate network with crap they downloaded. Most of us know what we are doing but we are a fraction of the users the average IT dept. works with. At a large corporation we experienced our email servers being down for a good part of one day after someone with an infected laptop ended up wreaking havoc on the mail server. Too much to control. This is a good reason why administrators may want control to install software -- and we had active x functions turned off as well.

I had a Treo and there was limited support. A BB in my dept. wasn't necessary although later that's what happened. They didn't want to specially install any pop account or other push access at my location although they did have something with Sprint at the time in another location. As was said before, you're on your own. What really pi$$ed me off was that Blazer couldn't login to the corporate email. Outlook is a heavy app and while my Tungsten C handled it mostly (sending was still a challenge) my Treo 600 and Samsung iwhatever didn't work either. I was lucky to have the Treo and be afforded this opportunity but it rarely happens. If you need a BB you will get a BB and most won't mess with it. Additionally, you may want one because being on your own can sometimes result in paying for it when you have problems and cannot respond quickly. It becomes your issue for having the Treo.

It's just the way it is. It will be difficult for Treos to make inroads as is. Perhaps with Windows based systems this is what Palm hopes will happen, which doesn't bode well for the PalmOS if it wants to enter this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ...... At a large corporation we experienced our email servers being down for a good part of one day after someone with an infected laptop ended up wreaking havoc on the mail server. Too much to control. This is a good reason why administrators may want control to install software -- ......
    That said, I am not aware of an enterprise network infected by a Palm PDA.
    It's just the way it is. It will be difficult for Treos to make inroads as is. Perhaps with Windows based systems this is what Palm hopes will happen, which doesn't bode well for the PalmOS if it wants to enter this area.
    I have to disagree. I have sold several installations of over 200 brand new Treos into organizations, I have seen brand new installations of over 1,000 (Wish I had sold them ). The Treo is making huge inroads and growing higher and higher.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    I have to disagree. I have sold several installations of over 200 brand new Treos into organizations, I have seen brand new installations of over 1,000 (Wish I had sold them ). The Treo is making huge inroads and growing higher and higher.
    I'm not saying it never happens and those numbers still aren't impressive when compared against BBs. What you are pointing to really is the exception to the rule and there is also good fortune right now with people scurrying and worrying about what happens to BB. It may also be the product of the unique IT person who can make the decision and will take responsibility for managing Treos. I can tell you that virtually every IT manager I know in a large corporate environment would sooner choose not to have to deal with providing tech support for all the third party software issues...

My guess is that Treo is going full speed ahead with Windows because they are guessing that it will be their inroads into corporate America. And I think that would be an excellent bet if I had to choose between the two.
    WM5 can have policies that prevent the installation and execution of software. They can be locked down if required.

Surur
    I'm not saying it never happens and those numbers still aren't impressive when compared against BBs. What you are pointing to really is the exception to the rule and there is also good fortune right now with people scurrying and worrying about what happens to BB. It may also be the product of the unique IT person who can make the decision and will take responsibility for managing Treos. I can tell you that virtually every IT manager I know in a large corporate environment would sooner choose not to have to deal with providing tech support for all the third party software issues...
    And I can tell you that Good that over half of the Fortune 500 running GoodLink, a third-party app, with over 90% of them running on Treos.

Palm just announced that they shipped over 600K treos last quarter. I kind of doubt those were primarily consumers. Yes, there are some, but I stand by my point that Palm has alread made inroads into the corporate/enterprise space. The 700W will accelerate that, no doubt, but it isn't like Palm is not in there at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    WM5 can have policies that prevent the installation and execution of software. They can be locked down if required.

Surur
    How?
    There's a good description of the trust levels in Windows CE at this MSDN page, so for this post I'll discuss how the security policies in Windows Mobile 2005 affect what trust level an application will get.

Privileged Applications policy (or two-tier policy) (4123)
    If this policy is set to 0, applications can run untrusted or trusted, depending on their signature. (two tier) This is the default configuration for Smartphone. If it's set to 1, applications that run will always run as trusted. That is the default for Pocket PC devices.

Unsigned Applications policy (4102)
    If this policy is set to 0, unsigned applications cannot run at all. If it is set to 1, then we have to look at the next policy

Unsigned Prompt policy (4122)
    If the prompt policy is set to 0, then the user will get prompted when an unsigned binary is loaded. If the user says no, or the prompt times out, then the application will fail to load. If the user says yes, then the application will run at the lowest trust level that is possible on the device. That means that an unsigned app will run as untrusted on a two-tier Smartphone device, but will run trusted on a Pocket PC.

You can use the configuration XML files supplied with the emulator in Visual Studio 2005 to experiment with how your application will behave in the various policy configurations. Jason Fuller wrote a great white paper about this and it goes into much more detail than this post does.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/12/03/486860.aspx

Determine the settings or changes that you want to make.
    There is a trade-off between application compatibility and device security. Although there are many policies, the following four policy options show the balance of compatibility and security.

Security OFF -- no security checks are performed.
    For this level of security, you would set policy 4101 (Unsigned CAB) to 16 (allow USER_AUTH) and security policy 4102 (Unsigned Applications) to 1 (Enabled).

Prompt -- The user is prompted when the source is unknown or is anonymous.

3rdPartySigned -- Third-party vendors that are identified though the Mobile-2-Market program are allowed access.

Locked -- Only the OEM and Mobile Operator, or their licensed vendors, are allowed access. For this level of security, you would set policy 4101 (Unsigned CAB) to 0 (do not allow) and security policy 4102 (Unsigned Applications) to 0 (Disabled).
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...typolicies.asp

Surur
    Last edited by surur; 12/20/2005 at 05:34 PM.
    Those are set by mobile operators, ie, carriers or require the you to go into the ROM of the device to make the changes, if I am reading that correctly. There are apps that provide the same level of security on the Treo and are much easier to work with.
    Silly Season 2005 began on 11/02. For all intents and purposes Father Time has ended it. Even Perry is silent. Is is too much to hope that we can put off Silly Season 2006 until Labor Day?
    ????????
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    WOW, I have been searching for the news on the Treo700P release the thread clearly states is happening...wonder what McDonalds that Radio Shack employee is now mopping floors at tonight? Anyone notice by the way RS is totally non-consumer friendly these days? Last several times I have been to them for things like antennas and cables they are never in stock but they have 1,000 roboraptors in the bargain bin.
    GoodGuy, that is incorrect. If I read my notes on Exch SP2 correctly, I believe these are the security settings in WM5 and are controlled by you systems admin via a management tool you dl from M$.
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Lest Silly Season should die from lack of interest, Palm has "announced" its intention to "announce" four "smartphones" in 2006. TreoCentral interpreted the "announcement" as: "That makes four Treo-type devices announced/released in 2006, with new looks and more advanced network support. Hopefully that means WiFi." Treo-hype would be more like it. It might be funny if it were not tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Last several times I have been to them for things like antennas and cables they are never in stock but they have 1,000 roboraptors in the bargain bin.
    lol it's sad b.c it's true...

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    lol it's sad b.c it's true...

Timmay
    Is RS restructuring? A couple of the stores in my area have closed.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I read Palms announcement as 1 Treo700w CDMA, 1 Treo700w GSM, 1 Treo700w for European market and one other yet undisclosed Treo phone. The Holywood and Lowrider are just distant codenamed devices that have been rumored, if I recall correctly, by an investment firm who owns a ton of stock. They have been pretty open in saying they are not going to do anymore Treo Palm OS until 2007 at least.
  18. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    They have been pretty open in saying they are not going to do anymore Treo Palm OS until 2007 at least.
    Who was "pretty open in saying" this? Palm? Sagio?

And IIRC, the codenames "Hollywood" and "Lowrider" have come up on Engadget and other sites. May have even been before the Sagio report. I'm sure those names were more than just Sagio's claim.
    Last edited by Q; 12/27/2005 at 10:59 PM.
    <snip> They have been pretty open in saying they are not going to do anymore Treo Palm OS until 2007 at least.

Huh???
    Palm III -> Palm Vx -> Clie T615c -> Clie T665c -> Tungsten T|3 -> Treo 650 -> Trew 700W (for a few days) -> XV6700 -> Moto Q
    http://geckotek.blogspot.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    How?

There are 3rd party solutions to enable kiosk modes:

http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/prod...ioskengine/?en

http://pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/v...ighlight=kiosk

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions