Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617 LastLast
    Most of the people I've seen use their laptops to get on the internet. But I don't get into the details of what exactly they're doing. Probably not voice, because many still use their cell phones.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    TREO 700W specifications from www.treonauts.com:

Aside from the fact that itís running Windows Mobile, the most noticeable differences with our Treo 650 are:

240x240 screen instead of 320x320
    Processor has same MHz (312) but chipset is PXA272 instead of 270
    Microphone has been moved next to multi-connector at the back (like on the Treo 600) instead of at the front on the Treo 650
    There is 88MB of total memory with about 65MB available
    Bluetooth v1.2
    Built-in high-speed EV-DO data support
    1.3 megapixel camera

IF THE 700P has:

our 320x320 screen
    65mb of availble memory
    Ev-DO, and
    the 1.3 mega-pixel camera

I will be a happy camper.

However, there has been speculation as to one more "wow" factor. Is that WiFi or GPS?
    Given that a Palm product manager said over a year ago: (in response to the where's the Wifi critisism against the 650) "We get it, you want Wifi.",
    I lean towards the possibility that it will be WiFi.

If so, I feel they will have done a superb job.

We should know soon. (Soon = 2 months?)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/15/2005 at 08:55 PM.
    I 'll Take the GPS thank you..................
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingjunior
    I 'll Take the GPS thank you..................
    I'm with you vikingjunior. (BTW -- Happy 100!) The Ev-DO and a reasonably priced data plan on Sprint will do me just fine. The GPS would tickle my fancy more, but the litlle voice in the back of my head is saying it will be WiFi.

Hey.
    Remember Grief Kits? (Heath Kits -- assemble your own electronic kits.)
    How 'bout ala carte design your own Treos!

Ya, I know . . . go back to your office Perry (inventory forecasting) and stay out of product development. . . . . (Geez, here and at work.) Just not appreciated!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 12/15/2005 at 09:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden

Aside from the fact that itís running Windows Mobile, the most noticeable differences with our Treo 650 are:

Microphone has been moved next to multi-connector at the back (like on the Treo 600) instead of at the front on the Treo 650
    Bluetooth v1.2
    1.3 megapixel camera

This is definitely enough for me to make the jump from the 600 to the 700w. Add to the fact that you can use the palm wifi card in the sd slot and I will be living large.

Perry: I don't think the 700p will be out in two months. The 700w isnt out yet and even when it comes out, it will initially be on Verizon. Therefore I am thinking it will be 6 months before we see it on sprint.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    This is definitely enough for me to make the jump from the 600 to the 700w. Add to the fact that you can use the palm wifi card in the sd slot and I will be living large.

Perry: I don't think the 700p will be out in two months. The 700w isnt out yet and even when it comes out, it will initially be on Verizon. Therefore I am thinking it will be 6 months before we see it on sprint.

I'm thinking that in two months we will have the pre-announcement . . . . .
    I'm thinking that in two months we will have the pre-announcement . . . . .
    That is palm-speak for leak.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Initially, Palm's intent was for Sprint and Verizon to receive their new 700s in the same time frame. Sometime in November this plan was revised. Its not clear whether the reason was technical delays in introducing the 700P, or whether more production needed to committed to delivering the 700W, which has been selling briskly.

Understanding that Palm's relationship with Sprint runs deep. Unless there are technical difficulties, it seems likely to me that moving Sprint back a month and a half or so, injurying Sprint's competive position, was be tough medicine for Palm because the Palm Sprint relationship is very strong. So I doubt the 700P comes out later than sometime in March unless they are adding something significant either to the Palm OS or a strong new feature.

This post is not based on any inside information from Palm. But I do have a source with access to the Street's security analysts. Another interesting note from him is that channel checks seem to indicate that the 700W has been selling quite well, and that may cause Palm to have to ramp up another production line to keep up with demand. I remember Bill Gates saying that Palm's biggest challenge would be keeping up with demand for the 700W. That was before Rimm's legal difficulties created more uncertainty among Rimm's customer base. It does appear that the 700W will add signficantly to Palm's potential customer base, particularly in the enterprise area.
    T2gungho: I agree with you. I would want GPS over WiFi.

I would like to have the option of adding a WiFi SD card though. I live in an area that EV-DO is supposed to be having excellent coverage in the near future, if the planned EV-DO expansion map is correct.

I can easily see where someone in, perhaps an industrial setting, would want to have WiFI over GPS.

With the Sprint-Nextel merger, it seems that all their new phones have built in GPS. The marketing seems to be pushing this. I think to the everyday customer (not TreoCentral's early adopter, tech-savy population) that GPS would bring in much more business than having built-in WiFi.

Again, I hope GPS is bulit in with a SD slot that a WiFi card would finally work.

Russell
    Quote Originally Posted by rvwink
    This post is not based on any inside information from Palm. But I do have a source with access to the Street's security analysts. Another interesting note from him is that channel checks seem to indicate that the 700W has been selling quite well, and that may cause Palm to have to ramp up another production line to keep up with demand. I remember Bill Gates saying that Palm's biggest challenge would be keeping up with demand for the 700W. That was before Rimm's legal difficulties created more uncertainty among Rimm's customer base. It does appear that the 700W will add signficantly to Palm's potential customer base, particularly in the enterprise area.
    Selling WHERE?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.

Bluetooth v1.2
    1.3 megapixel camera

IF THE 700P has:

our 320x320 screen
    65mb of availble memory
    Ev-DO, and
    the 1.3 mega-pixel camera

I will be a happy camper.

However, there has been speculation as to one more "wow" factor. Is that WiFi or GPS?
    Given that a Palm product manager said over a year ago: (in response to the where's the Wifi critisism against the 650) "We get it, you want Wifi.",
    I lean towards the possibility that it will be WiFi.

If so, I feel they will have done a superb job.

We should know soon. (Soon = 2 months?)

Cheers, Perry.
    Perry, you are amazing. Your glass is ALWAYS half-full. I hope you're right about the WiFi, because I doubt EV-DO is going to roll out all that fast, yet WiFi hotspots pop up in a lot of hotels these.

However, they've got to do a Sony on WM5 and patch it for the 320x320 screen - that screen on the 650 is THE BEST PDA screen out there (I know, I can hear the boo birds now, but I HAD a x50v and the VGA screen WAS NOT as good as my old 650's screen).

Keep up your good cheer, and good luck on getting your 700p before that avatar becomes your GRANDCHILD's picture.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Thanks Perry.........I can see it now TOM TOM with no need for a B/T reciever ..FREEDOM. I believe Sprint's EVDO is rolling out quicker then expected according to some articles I have read. I can really see me getting this 700P and selling my one month old 650.
    2 things to add here...see the following link for Linux on a Treo pictures http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html

Second thing is IT Week reported that Palm is haing issues with the current OS running on the newer 3G networks so it will be 2007 is ever that there will be a new Treo running a Palm OS. I think this is the real reason Palm is doing the WM5 Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    2 things to add here...see the following link for Linux on a Treo pictures http://www.grack.com/programming/misc/TreoLinux.html

Second thing is IT Week reported that Palm is haing issues with the current OS running on the newer 3G networks so it will be 2007 is ever that there will be a new Treo running a Palm OS. I think this is the real reason Palm is doing the WM5 Treo.
    Care to bet on that?
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    However, they've got to do a Sony on WM5 and patch it for the 320x320 screen - that screen on the 650 is THE BEST PDA screen out there (I know, I can hear the boo birds now, but I HAD a x50v and the VGA screen WAS NOT as good as my old 650's screen).
    REALLY? I was looking into the X51v.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    2000Man, here is the link to the article (and by the way it is from Oct 2005 so it is a bit dated but no one picked up on it) http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/analy...406/sight-palm

Remember it is not my claim I am just reporting what I found. Don't shoot the messenger.
    is to have WiFi over GPS. I personally would use wifi a lot more than gps. If I could have a gps sd card, I would at some point buy one.

I just hope that the next treo has SOMETHING more.

Perry: I hope you are right about an announcement in the next two months.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    2000Man, here is the link to the article (and by the way it is from Oct 2005 so it is a bit dated but no one picked up on it) http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/analy...406/sight-palm

Remember it is not my claim I am just reporting what I found. Don't shoot the messenger.
    That's an interesting article. Considering all the emphasis people here placed upon executives making statements, it is interesting for their SVP of Marketing to state that eventually that Palm/Treo would prefer to be on one platform...

"While Palm looks set to continue shipping Palm OS 5 handhelds for the near future, Wirt admitted there would have to be a cut-off point. "At some point in the future, we would obviously prefer to be on one platform," he said."

The prior statement about working with formerly Palm Source was about as laughably diplomatically cold as you get. 700p? Perhaps but it seems like it would only be a hardware upgrade from the 650. I do agree with Perry that if they stock it with RAM then it might make a difference -- but Perry man, you are talking about 65MB USABLE!!!! I honestly hope for your health and welfare that some word about the 700p comes out. If you can, leave us your address so we can make sure that paramedics can rush there in the event that this article might reveal more truth than it may seem right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    ......."While Palm looks set to continue shipping Palm OS 5 handhelds for the near future, Wirt admitted there would have to be a cut-off point. "At some point in the future, we would obviously prefer to be on one platform," he said."...........
    They have already shipped Palm OS handhelds "in the near future" from that interview. They just were not Treos. That sentence is very carefully crafted Palm-speak. It must be read with as much care as they used in writing it. While one may infer from this sentence, while it may even be intended to imply, a 700p, it falls far short of saying that there will be one.
    It's depressing to see some people gloating over Palm OS possible demise.

However, they did fall down on the job. But MS shouldn't be the answer to everything and I still don't know why people are such sheep and follow it like it's the greatest thing ever invented! Hopefully Palm OS can revamp itself in time, even if it's through Access.

But I wonder if Apple will ever do anything in the handheld department.